Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2015, 20:10   #376
BHPian

re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
The new Tata Safari Storme does not have front facing third row seats, it has a new 6-speed gearbox and a new engine churning out 160BHP and the central console now has an integrated music system, note- it's not a 2DIN, it's just an integrated music system without touch screen display. The front grille has a new design, the STORME lettering on the chrome strip is now in Black.
That indeed is awesome news 6 speed gearbox and 160BHP.

Regarding single DIN music system , I spotted a mildy camouflaged Storme with LX badge near Birla Hospital today at noon and it had the same center console as the current generation and yes I also clearly saw the last compartment had same jump seat setup .

Now only if we can know when is the launch happening?
rosaf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 11:50   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Setting aside the front facing third row, if speculation regarding the new engine/gearbox combo is current, Storme is getting back in the game if priced competitively viz-a-viz the "Mighty Muscular-On-Steroids Scorpio" .

They should offer 4x4 in a lower variant and also provide basis essential safety features like Air Bags & ABS on the lower variants. If you can get this package for about 10 to 11 Lakhs ex-showroom, this will be a winner hands down.

I also hope the Storme Owners will not have to go through umpteen timing belt recall/refits like the original Safari 2.2 Dicor VVTi owners.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 25th February 2015 at 11:52.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 12:10   #378
BHPian

6-speed and 160bhp?
That's mouthwatering indeed
If that is true i am ready to live with the jump seats and single din.
By the way, any idea about the likely launch date? A friend of mine was waitinng the storme launch, but got fed up and bought an aria.
Old 25th February 2015, 12:23   #379
BHPian

The question is whether they will use six gears for shorter gearing overall or the sixth one as a cruising gear for highways...

However, good news on the 160 hp / 6 gear plan. Keeping fingers crossed on the interior refresh though :-)
Old 25th February 2015, 12:29   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepathy View Post
6-speed and 160bhp?
That's mouthwatering indeed
If that is true i am ready to live with the jump seats and single din.
Indeed 6-speed and 160BHP sounds really good.
But the more I think about it the more I get frustrated. Tata have taken eons to come up with a revamped Storme; so why come up with a half baked proposal? Why not a good touch screen 2-din player? I can understand that changing the jump seats to front facing may involve some higher degree engineering, but things like a good 2-din player could have been simple.

Why not go the whole nine yards and come up with a product that really shakes the competition (like the XUV or the Scorpio) instead of looking as if you are trying to play catch-up?

Anyways, I shall wait for the official launch to see what is the real difference between the old and the new Storme.
ptushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 14:24   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
That indeed is awesome news 6 speed gearbox and 160BHP.

Regarding single DIN music system , I spotted a mildy camouflaged Storme with LX badge near Birla Hospital today at noon and it had the same center console as the current generation and yes I also clearly saw the last compartment had same jump seat setup .

Now only if we can know when is the launch happening?
Completely echo your views. A solid understanding from TM or its dealers on when the launch can be expected is the most important update we want. The only thing that the Concorde Motors Sales Rep could confirm was that the upgrade is definitely coming, but they have absolutely no info on when.

I hope senior people at Tata Motors follow threads like these. And I hope they pick up the confusion and disappointment that delays and lack of information cause to prospective buyers. The Storme's numbers dont justify it to be called a mass product. For a semi-niche product such as this, it is even more important for the marketing people to be conscious of how information and opinion build up is happening on the Internet, and intervene with inputs as and when required.
Old 25th February 2015, 20:07   #382
BHPian

No dealer talks about new launches and facelifts. Have been to honda, m&m, tata and ford in the past three weeks. And when you ask about facelifts or even new launches, no one knows anything
Guess they first want to clear their existing stock and won't encourage anybody to wait for a new product.
Even if you show newspaper reports, they feign ignorance. Strange.
Old 26th February 2015, 00:41   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Don't ask me how I know this but to answer your question - The seats are not front facing.
Thanks. In fact, I suspected this right from the beginning. High floor of storme will give no head room to the front facing row passengers. At least, with the current arrangement, they have an option to keep their legs and neck in a little slanted position. Also the access through the mid row would have meant a movable back rest of middle row and rails as well. I am sure they must have given it a thought and let go of their plans because of extensive design change involved. Not worth it, in my opinion too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Have seen the new dashboard, only the centre console is changed to accommodate the new HU, its got a brushed metal trim all round, I did not like the look as much, even the clock is now missing.
A million dollar question and who else can be better than you to answer that. Is it worth waiting for the update, considering there wont be any discounts on the fresh model, the new gear box is still untested and even the much awaited two DIN is not likely to be included either. Just your personal opinion, keeping yourself in a prospective buyer's shoes would be good enough.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 26th February 2015 at 06:21. Reason: Merged successive posts.
Old 26th February 2015, 12:41   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Attachment 1343578

Attachment 1343579

Seen in a building I visited yesterday. There was a sticker on the rear glass that said " LET 320 NM with Mark II gearbox"

Is this info of any interest to all Storme fans??
Interesting. So if the new one has 160bhp and 6-Speed Gearbox, will that be limited to VX only and parallel to that, will we have existing setup too?

The current one has 138bhp with 320nm, then ARIA has 150bhp with 320nm - So now can there be one more 160bhp 320nm? Guessing because if this scoop had a sticker 320nm then there could be one more 160Bhp version with higher torque figure

Moreover Mark II gearbox is our existing G76 Mark II which is available on Storme 138bhp/320nm as well as ARIA 150bhp/320nm.

There seems to be no point with one more 160bhp/320nm - Many combinations you see

So I think the new one may have 138/150bhp with 320nm for LX and EX with G76 Mk II
And 160bhp/XXXnm for VX with new 6 Speed Gearbox.

Just wondering.

Rajeev

Last edited by rajismine : 26th February 2015 at 12:43.
rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 13:11   #385
BHPian

there was talk about a 160bhp / 400Nm torque storme doing the rounds some time ago.
several portals had carried it then, saying the monster will now make mincemeat of rivals pretty easily. Apparently, this powerful version of the engine is seen in the international Aria.
so, could it be 160bhp/400nm? tata being tata, it is highly unlikely
Old 26th February 2015, 13:55   #386
Senior - BHPian

I do not see a reason for not launching the refreshed storme till date.

Tata's are not running their factories at full capacity. Neither are the shorwooms full of people. A new Zest, Bolt and Storme will only mean more people visiting showrooms. This might also lead to cross sales for people looking at 2nd cars.

Lack of climate control, Touchscreen audio and Driver information system puts the Storme at a huge disadvantage as the XUV500 is already doing solid numbers. I dont see people rushing to buy a 160bhp 400nm engine with 6-speed compared to the xuv500.

This coming straight from a fan of the tata Safari in any iteration. I think Mahindra has beaten Tata's heads down and done an excellent job of positioning the XUV500.
devarshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 21:50   #387
BHPian

160 BHP and 6 Speed is a juicy combination and will be well received if priced well by TATA. But I agree, Mahindra has beaten TATA in the game of SUVs with both Scorpio and XUV 500.
Old 27th February 2015, 10:53   #388
Senior - BHPian

Storme needs to be appreciated for the vehicle that it is. Its futile to compare it to cars with more gizmos or Chinese plastics. IMO the Storme is the best iteration of the Safari and it has taken the best of the earlier car's long distance comfortable cruising ability, packed in some decent interiors, maintained the huge space inside and provided much needed reliability and quality and is niggle free. The average sound inside is the lowest in the segment and coupled with the low rpm 5th gear cruise, is a pleasure to drive vast distances in a single day. Also it must not be mistaken to be a 6/7 seater car, which it simply is not, please consider it as a 5 seater cruiser at best. The combination of the Aria chassis and the 2.2 dicor engine, along with tweaked components and interiors make it a vehicle worth owning. The new Storme when launched, is bound to be more refined, with may be some extra power. I believe the car doesnt need anymore power, to maintain high highway speeds even today, the 6th gear is bound to be a waste, because the current 5th is a capable overdrive as is.
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 11:42   #389
BHPian

My greetings to the fellow TBHP members. As per a few TASS employees, Storme Ladakh is in the pipelines. However, I got three conflicting reports from TASS regarding the Storme launch, which are as follows:
1. No updated Storme in the offing (ignored)
2. Storme Ladakh to be launched within a couple of months.
3. An all new Storme on the lines of Fortuner(yes, you heard that right) to be launched within 6 months.

What intrigued me most is the conviction with which the 3rd point was emphasized by the SA. I am therefore, a bit confused regarding the developments as of now.
nirdayitantrik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 12:32   #390
BHPian

Guess tata is on steroids..
just read that they are bringing a 120bhp bolt.
well, then why not a 160bhp storme or a fortuner-like storme?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed