Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 08:08   #466
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

I had a bad thought. What if all the pictures we have seen are just engine-gearbox testing the varicor engine for the upcoming Hexa? Hexa is supposed to have a 156bhp, 400nm and 6 speed gearbox. Also an integrated 2 din stereo, front facing third row bench, etc. maybe a new storme is never coming?
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 11:28   #467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I had a bad thought. What if all the pictures we have seen are just engine-gearbox testing the varicor engine for the upcoming Hexa? Hexa is supposed to have a 156bhp, 400nm and 6 speed gearbox. Also an integrated 2 din stereo, front facing third row bench, etc. maybe a new storme is never coming?
Hexa is closer to Aria than Storme. If they wanted to just test engine and gearbox, they could have tuned it better in the Aria than Storme. Just my guess.

The spy pics seem to suggest a near production ready vehicle - complete with custom fender badges. An update sure is due. Storme+Safari recorded one of their worst month ever - a paltry 400 odd units sold. Maybe everyone is holding on for this facelift.
Old 7th April 2015, 15:57   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
A big thank you to Neel Kirane

Attachment 1357528
The 3rd image in this post says 400 Varicor i.e. 400NM torque i.e. only possible with a 6 speed box. Is my assumption correct ?
This means that 6 speed box will first appear on Storme refresh and then the Hexa? And as per my contact, i come to know that the Storme refresh is just days away?
Old 7th April 2015, 16:57   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
VeluM : Wish they'd moved the Air Con controls down and the ICE unit up though as had been suggested earlier in this thread.
That will need a fairly major change behind the dashboard and hence is taking time. Easy to comment, but if it was that easy as editing a comment, then TML would have done the change it long back.

Quote:
VeluM : Look at that humungous panel gap in the last pic though
i74js : These are not the final production models, we will witness a marked change in the overall fit and finish of the facelift Storme.
That panel gap will not change. The changes to the Storme is not in the body panels, but in the state of the engine tune, and some cosmetic stuff. Having said that, the panel gap is actually not as bad as it seems in the pic.

The steering wheel really did not need a change. But it does help to give a different look inside.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 20:36   #470
BHPian

Wonder if they have done something about the gud old rattling issues which unfortunately had creeped into almost all stormes. So far, they have only managed a make-shift solution about the tail gate rattle. Hope they come up with something solid for all five doors and dashboard as well. No one will ever dare to say "yaar gaadi to achhi hai but bajti bohot hai".
Old 7th April 2015, 23:36   #471
BHPian

Along with these changes, TATA must provide dual airbags and optional 4X4 in Lx.

At present, Storme VX 4X2 costs around 13 lac while XUV W4, Duster 110 RxL both costs below 12 lac., Scorpio W4 Plus costs around 9.3 ex showroom.

Otherwise this effort will be complete wastage. Adding just few features won't even help to climb to 4 digit levels, when sales numbers are consistently decreasing.

TATA should learn few lessons in pricing and product strategy from Renault.
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 09:23   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Along with these changes, TATA must provide dual airbags and optional 4X4 in Lx.

At present, Storme VX 4X2 costs around 13 lac while XUV W4, Duster 110 RxL both costs below 12 lac., Scorpio W4 Plus costs around 9.3 ex showroom.

Otherwise this effort will be complete wastage. Adding just few features won't even help to climb to 4 digit levels, when sales numbers are consistently decreasing.

TATA should learn few lessons in pricing and product strategy from Renault.
Airbags should be a standard across all variants. Of course number may differ. Presence of airbags along with the already present all disc will make it one of the most safest vehicle to be in.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 15:35   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That will need a fairly major change behind the dashboard and hence is taking time. Easy to comment, but if it was that easy as editing a comment, then TML would have done the change it long back.
Not sure if I agree with this. They've already changed the centre console mould to fit the new two DIN setup, which means that they could have changed the mould to move the AC controls as well.

As far as I know, this is just an electronic component and would not change the actual AC vents/ducting. Just the length of the wires/cables and routing would need to change for the new location. I'm not an expert and may be completely wrong though

Anyway, it is not a huge problem and shouldn't be a deal-breaker for anyone considering the upgraded Storme.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 17:05   #474
BHPian

As per a source, certain dealers have started accepting bookings for the upgraded Safari Storme.

Prices are not yet released but are expected to remain similar to the outgoing version.

The car will be officially launched around May 15, 2015

Last edited by maglev : 8th April 2015 at 17:09.
maglev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 10:09   #475
BHPian

Well, I did test drive the storm when it was launched. Have to say the the last row jump seats were awful!
My bolero has better jump seats at the rear!
That was a big sore point I feel, and this made the car a 5 seater more or less.
And there were speculations that the update could see front facing seats, will just have to wait and watch.
Old 9th April 2015, 11:09   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushyanth View Post
Well, I did test drive the storm when it was launched. Have to say the the last row jump seats were awful!
My bolero has better jump seats at the rear!
That was a big sore point I feel, and this made the car a 5 seater more or less.
And there were speculations that the update could see front facing seats, will just have to wait and watch.
I was myself desperately looking forward to a xuv like arrangement but then I had a good look at the storme's structure. Not that I don't welcome any positive change, would like to point out a few things here. Imagine yourself inside a storme and think of access to the last row. Firstly it would require the second row to be on rails and a person walking good three to four steps with a 90 degree bent back to access the third row. Now imagine the position of your knees with the high floor and a low roof. You will be literally sitting on the ground with a bent neck of course. Not that the side facing ones make the situation much better but they at least give you an option of stretching the legs side-ways. Ample luggage space is also a big pro in the existing option. Now, either one can accept the storme as a superbly comfortable five seater cruiser or whine about it, comparing it with other 7 seaters if that's precisely what one wants. The Choice is yours gentlemen!!!
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 14:55   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I was myself desperately looking forward to a xuv like arrangement but then I had a good look at the storme's structure. Not that I don't welcome any positive change, would like to point out a few things here. Imagine yourself inside a storme and think of access to the last row. Firstly it would require the second row to be on rails and a person walking good three to four steps with a 90 degree bent back to access the third row. Now imagine the position of your knees with the high floor and a low roof. You will be literally sitting on the ground with a bent neck of course. Not that the side facing ones make the situation much better but they at least give you an option of stretching the legs side-ways. Ample luggage space is also a big pro in the existing option. Now, either one can accept the storme as a superbly comfortable five seater cruiser or whine about it, comparing it with other 7 seaters if that's precisely what one wants. The Choice is yours gentlemen!!!
You do have a point here Sir.
Yes the tall floor eats up the cabin space. Was this the same case with the pre-facelift models as well?
Or, is the spare wheel which is tucked under the car is contributing for the fact?
Old 9th April 2015, 15:57   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushyanth View Post
You do have a point here Sir.
Yes the tall floor eats up the cabin space. Was this the same case with the pre-facelift models as well?
Or, is the spare wheel which is tucked under the car is contributing for the fact?
It was and still is marginally better in safari dicor. Not much of a difference but yes, relatively better than storme. I sat in scorpio NG's last row and it can easily accomodate a 5'10 height guy without having to bend the neck at all.
Old 9th April 2015, 17:52   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
A recent Autocar comparo between the Storme and new Scorpio puts the Scorpio ahead because of the improved styling, engine (power to weight), and equipment list. They say that there isn't much to choose between the two in ride/handling, with the Safari riding better and the Scorpio handling better - mainly due to the 200kg weight disadvantage that the Storme carries. With the new chassis, why is the Storme still so heavy!?
Mahindra does not provide Kerb Weight info in India, they only provide GVW. So I looked up the SA official site and found the kerb weight of the Scorpio listed there - its 1,910 kg for the 2wd and 2,040 for the 4wd.

The Storme in comparison is 2,000 2wd and 2,095 4wd. Therefore I fail to see a humongous weight difference between the two - this 'overweight' tag is more of an urban legend propagated successfully. Let us stick to facts.

Given a 90 kg weight difference and about 40 bhp more in power, it is still difficult to fathom why the vehicle is thought of as 'overweight' and underpowered. Especially when you get a similar weight (1,955 kg) and power (171 bhp) after paying 10 lakhs or more extra for a Fortuner - with a ride that is equivalent to a pogo stick.

Any comparo that talks about the Scorpio's 'superior handling' is just bull, IMHO. It was crap, and it still is pretty bad.

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th April 2015 at 17:56.
Steeroid is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 20:12   #480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Any comparo that talks about the Scorpio's 'superior handling' is just bull, IMHO. It was crap, and it still is pretty bad.
Steer,

Would request you to have a go in the new Mahindra Scorpio, especially in its 4WD iteration, you just might have a change in opinion. From your post, to me, it appears that it is a preconceived notion. And I will be surprised if you don't have a change of opinion. Because, under the skin, there are lots of changes, chassis is different, so is suspension. And these changes have brought a welcome change in the way the Scorpio handles now, even the ride is better wrt what it was earlier.

But as they say, different strokes for different folks. And this Safari vs Scorpio war is classic.

And honestly, the Fortuner's ride is some what equal to what old gen Scorpio's ride was earlier, bad, but with correct tire pressure, it is not as bad as often said. Maybe in TD's people especially fly over bad roads with this. The 4WD (again) has sorted dynamics.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th April 2015 at 20:27.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed