Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2015, 18:45   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviG View Post
Looks like this is for entry variant without the clock.
Avi, thanks to you & your friend for the pics

The interiors look to be from the Top end. Notice the airbags. Unless:
1) All variants now get airbags -OR-
2) The top end now doesnt get the clock.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 18:49   #527
BHPian

well, this is deception of the highest levels. I am personally saddened by the state of affairs at TML. why do they want to destroy such a product? why TATA why? all it takes is ONE car. there were numerous prospective storme buyers in the fray, and this will definitely erode your already diminishing customer base. another shocker came today when a known contact in TML told me that the base variants will most probably be stripped of the ABS!! i want to know who exactly came up with such a stupid and juvenile marketing decision. apparently, zest and bolt were made on a zero profit basis. still, they could not make a significant impact, and still this epic failure did not impact the bright minded and foresighted MBA's doing nothing but formulating even more technical jargons to hide their incompetence in their modern conference halls.

TATA has now one customer less. keep up the good work of being truckwallas.
Old 16th April 2015, 19:50   #528
BANNED

Shouldn't Tata change the Safari variants to XT, XM, XE too?
kisharchit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 20:12   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post

TATA should learn few lessons in pricing and Product strategy from Renault.
Didn't you hear? Tata Product Head joined Renault a couple of months back. Buhahaha!

Last edited by Aditya : 17th April 2015 at 12:35. Reason: Chat lingo
Ferruccio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 20:19   #530
Senior - BHPian

Looks like there is a lot of information/half information/mis information flowing around. A couple of other websites I have seen have mentioned that the engine is a 2.2 liter 160ps 400nm unit, some have mentioned no leather even in VX, some have mentioned electric power steering replacing the hydraulic unit and some have billed the Harman unit with the touch screen and full acc.
May be we should all wait and see when and in what format is the new Storme launched.

Also the images on page 34 doesn't reflect if the car is a LX/EX/VX, alloys are not seen, the roof rails are black (like LX/EX) but the mirrors are chrome cladded like the VX, the interiors are more like LX, but airbags are present along with steering mounted audio controls. It may well be that Tata has put in a mishmash of equipment for the test cars, and purposely branded it at VX, we may not know until we see it in the stockyard or the showrooms.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 16th April 2015 at 20:21.
Old 16th April 2015, 20:52   #531
BHPian

I am no expert, but I see the whole ruckus regarding an updated Storme as a well planned marketing gimmick. This is due to the following:

1. Zest and Bolt have reportedly been made on a zero profit basis to recapture the lost market. Now that this has been "marginally" achieved, it is time for payback.

2. The HEXA is the stable's stallion for TATA as of now, till the new rover based SUV's are launched. Result is that Storme is being rendered the step-motherly treatment.

3. TML is trying to bank upon the classic and cult legacy of the Safari and trying to cash on it as much and for as long as possible, believing that the customers can be manipulated through emotions.

4. The quasi governmental organizational culture of TATA might be acting as an obstacle in the promulgation of customer-centric reforms or the correct marketing decisions within time. This is in no way concerned with the customers, who care the least about such things and most about the products that they want.

5. TML may have given up on the market and may no longer have the motivation/morale/resources to rise up against its competitors.
Old 16th April 2015, 21:18   #532
BHPian

Surprise surprise !!
Here are the most clear pictures of the upcoming Storme refresh.
Looks fantastic. Don't ask how I got these :-)Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-img20150416wa0076.jpg

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-img20150416wa0077.jpg

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-img20150416wa0078.jpg

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-img20150416wa0075.jpg
v_safari is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 23:02   #533
BHPian

Since I have done 14000 km on my Aria whose engine is expected to be on the storme facelift let me tell you guys that the power is more than adequate even with 7 medium sized adults and the boot loaded fully. When I am driving alone I have to feather the throttle to keep a tab on the speed. The midrange and the free revving nature of this engine is so good that it quickly reaches its top speed without protest. Ya the lack of 400nm engine will be a downer but i believe majority of buyers are looking for an affordable safari rather than one costing more than 15 laks. Since most of the sales come from the EX version i know a couple of buyers dropped it because it lacked air bags. What the new Storme needs is better specs in the basic variants like for example arm rests on LX which are there on the older dicor LX.

Last edited by damodar : 16th April 2015 at 23:04.
damodar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 00:55   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Surprise surprise !!
Here are the most clear pictures of the upcoming Storme refresh.
Looks fantastic. Don't ask how I got these :-)Attachment 1361543

Attachment 1361544

Attachment 1361545

Attachment 1361546
Dude, sorry to kill your enthusiasm but these images are already uploaded on Page 34. Appreciate your effort though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviG View Post
Mixed feelings here seeing these when I got these pictures from a friend of mine. Looks like this is for entry variant without the clock.

Attachment 1361277
Attachment 1361278
Attachment 1361279
Attachment 1361280
Great, time to forget about this "face-drop". So now we can all start the wait for the next facelift and start a new thread speculating on that . BTW, the not so well designed XUV500 seems like the only VFM option now.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 17th April 2015 at 11:15. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the Edit button when replying within 30 mins of previous post. Thanks.
Old 17th April 2015, 07:59   #535
Team-BHP Support

In my opinion, the new steering wheel is a misfit. It looks brilliant on the Zest and Bolt because it goes well with the overall interior theme. Besides, on an off-roader, I'd much rather have a steering wheel without anatomic grips.

Despite being decent products, the Bolt and Zest have not done as well as Tata Motors would have liked. Neither has the Storme. The message is clear - a radical design change is necessary.
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 08:16   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
v_safari : Attachment 1361543
Does anyone have the 3/4 view of the centre part of the console ?

From front view, nothing seems to have changed apart from the integrated HU & the re-positioned charger socket.

But when we consider :
1) There is a problem of in-sufficient space behind the dash ( the main reason for not giving us a 2-DIN so far).

2) the cubby-hole has reduced in size to the extent that the cup-holders are now missing

If this space has reduced, then did the gear level move forward ? NO. Quite improbable.

So, how did they create space for the integrated HU ? IMO - the centre part of the console now juts out more than it was doing so earlier.

A comparative 3-Q image of the console will help to show this better
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 09:30   #537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Shouldn't Tata change the Safari variants to XT, XM, XE too?
There are bigger problems with the variants, naming is the least of their worries

Let's wait for the launch though, who knows, they might grant your wish.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 17th April 2015 at 09:33.
Old 17th April 2015, 10:35   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I had seen a VX version of the refreshed Storme last week and the test engineer/driver let me have a look inside for a couple of minutes. It had no leather seats, no clock, no ACC and no beige interiors. He also confirmed that there is no 6-speed gearbox. What you see in these pictures are what I saw in that version that was badged as VX.
I waited one full year for this!!!

I am so so happy that team-bhp has this icon . All the other guys who were waiting for this refresh please feel free to share this wall, there's enough place for all of us to bang our heads.

All said I may still go in for the refreshed Storme, the difference will now be that the decision will be based on elimination (having eliminated all other options for some reason or the other) and not by selection.
xbox360 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 10:43   #539
Senior - BHPian

To all those bashing the Storme and moaning about the lack of features, my only advice is- Drive it for a longish duration and then do the same with its "natural" competitor(s). You will figure out where the focus has been while developing the Storme.

i am the first one to agree that at this price points some more gizmos are desirable, but would gladly trade them for more robust engineering. I have been driving the storme for over 10 months now (used to own SUVs earlier too- Scorpio, Safari Dicor and Captiva), and to date, the Storme never fails to put a smile on my face when i drive it. I hope that this remains the case for as long as i continue to own the Storme.

Bottom line- buy it if you like it for what it is- a well engineered product with enough creature comforts to make your drive comfortable.

if that doesnt work for you, there are other options available. To each his own.
himanshugoswami is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 11:23   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Does anyone have the 3/4 view of the centre part of the console ?

From front view, nothing seems to have changed apart from the integrated HU & the re-positioned charger socket.

But when we consider :
1) There is a problem of in-sufficient space behind the dash ( the main reason for not giving us a 2-DIN so far).

2) the cubby-hole has reduced in size to the extent that the cup-holders are now missing

If this space has reduced, then did the gear level move forward ? NO. Quite improbable.

So, how did they create space for the integrated HU ? IMO - the centre part of the console now juts out more than it was doing so earlier.

A comparative 3-Q image of the console will help to show this better

The HVAC controls are retained. So the basic HVAC system is unchanged, which leaves no space for a 2 DIN system on the inside. Looks like it is a 1 DIN system with a bigger cover like it was done in Vista. Still this has enhanced the look of the cockpit compared to the older version.

Like the exterior changes, the grill is now in line with the Land rovers. Waiting for the launch.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th April 2015 at 14:57. Reason: Fixing quote tag
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed