Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 19:31   #571
BANNED

re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

I think I should sell my TATA Motors share! Which dimwit is behind this facelift? One year of testing for this?! Even I will have to say Oh My God! They squandered a great opportunity to make amends with the mistakes, at least an auto box could have been given. Only saving grace is the all black interiors.
Old 20th April 2015, 19:35   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Well... what can I say? I think there are 2 Tata Motors. One which works on all other products (Zest, Bolt, Hexa etc) and one that works on Safari.

Only features I could appreciate are the heated mirror (with electrical retract) and all wheel disc brakes (not sure if this was present in pre-facelift storme)

I am holding on to my Innova for 1 more year (sigh)
Yes, all disc brakes was very much one of the most influential feature even on LX variant in the pre-face lifted models. So they are once again on a feature-stripping spree to offset the costing. An important fact that they dont understand is that the LX was their only VFM variant and the only reason buyers went for Ex was because of the absense of roof ac in LX while vx wouldnt have sold at all, had it not been for the availability of 4x4 in top variant only.

Last edited by Storme_on_d_way : 20th April 2015 at 19:38.
Old 20th April 2015, 19:41   #573
BHPian

I agree with rajneeesh totally.

With the downgrades on LX it seems quite obvious that TML is pitting the new Storme against Scorpio and not the XUV (at least price wise) and might as well discontinue the DICOR, and hence we can certainly expect price cuts as Storme just does not have the equipment levels which corresponds to 4 or 5 different variants.So the price cut will work to lure customers back towards showrooms.

EX has most things that i would have loved in the Storme and if priced close to 12 lacs on road Pune , i will surely have one in my garage in May itself.
Old 20th April 2015, 20:53   #574
BHPian

Had a chat with a sales personnel at Concorde Motors, Mathura Road a few hours before, and he said that the Dicor is NOT being discontinued. Whether this is a stock clearance strategy or something else, is subject to opinions.
Another info that I got from Brijlax Motors, Banaras and a showroom at Lucknow, was that the Dicor might also get some update. Well, looking at the kind of update/facelift that TML is in the habit of providing, I doubt any genuine improvisation.

Another confusion that I have is regarding the pricing of the Dicor EX/LX vis-a-vis the Storme LX. How will TML equate the primitive Dicor and a stripped down semi-modern Storme LX?
I am reiterating this again, but 15" wheels on a tank is dastardly ridiculous. Who liked an elephant with the legs of a fox? Why this weird hybridization?
Ultimately, what will happen is that the buyers(if there are any) will trade the tyres for a bigger set, which will again offset the apparently marginal gains that he/she may enjoy.
Old 20th April 2015, 21:22   #575
Senior - BHPian

TML is either staffed by absolutely mind blowingly brilliant product planners and marketing folks OR they are collectively on a mission to commit Hara kiri.

The Storme was gradually gaining traction in the minds of people last year. BUT, with the "update" taking so long, the interest started fading away. However, given that all variants came with 4 wheel discs and ABS, it still had a USP over its competitor; viz. Scorpio.

Now, with the "update" being released, the move to position the LX as a bare bones variant sans basic safety kit, that too when the existing version already has it, defies logic.

Perhaps TML is on to something here, but common sense tells one otherwise.

UNLESS, this is accompanied by a serous price drop (which will kill the already abysmal resale value), I dont see the Storme numbers picking up. The LX and VX will be dead on arrival. Only the EX seems to have a chance, that too if priced well.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 20th April 2015 at 21:30.
himanshugoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 21:50   #576
Senior - BHPian

The EX version ( as per Mororbeam) will be getting Ice. It Tata Motors were to offer it with Airbags, and price it substantially lower than VX, it may become the biggest selling variant. Alloys can be taken as an option at the dealership and VX will not have the leather upholstery. I hope it is offered with a 4 wheel drive option as was the case with the 2.2 Dicor.
Old 20th April 2015, 22:08   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The EX version ( as per Mororbeam) will be getting Ice. It Tata Motors were to offer it with Airbags, and price it substantially lower than VX, it may become the biggest selling variant. Alloys can be taken as an option at the dealership and VX will not have the leather upholstery. I hope it is offered with a 4 wheel drive option as was the case with the 2.2 Dicor.
I had given myself time till april to finalise the purchase. First the delay made me consider its arch rival scorpio which does seem like a VFM option with safety features, loaded to the gills and suspension issues being sorted out.This news has tilted the decision against storme all the more. Was desperately hoping for a dual air bag setup on mid variant along with few niggles (rattles and shocker leak) being taken care of. I dont a want flip key or a harman whatever. Every face lift is based on consumer surveys and feedbacks. Which planet did they do it on? Not Earth for sure
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 00:16   #578
BHPian

Seems like after Karl Slym's sad passing Tata Motors is back to its lethargic, indifferent and PSU mode. After doing a decent job with the original Storme and then listening to customer feedback and bringing out the explorer kit, this seems like a huge number of steps backward. I just wish they would sell the safari line to some other auto company with brains in the marketing dept. I can't imagine from where they hire their marketing personnel.
I can't stand looking at the tacky 90ish silver console panel and dash inserts. The last I enjoyed silver dash was in the old Honda City.
There I go ranting again!
Oh, and like true fanboys we can now start waiting for the 2016 facelift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
TML is either staffed by absolutely mind blowingly brilliant product planners and marketing folks OR they are collectively on a mission to commit Hara kiri.
Loved the "subtle" sarcasm!

Last edited by param22k : 21st April 2015 at 00:35.
param22k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 00:36   #579
BHPian

Well I am waiting for the team bhp review of the vehicle in the flesh. We'll definitely understand the whole deal a lot better. Especially the driving characteristics. I have waited a long time and haven't written it off just yet. The big disappointment for me was the 160-400 not making it in this upgrade
Old 21st April 2015, 00:57   #580
BHPian

You know what, somethings never change. I understand that typing a comment sitting on a chair behind a laptop on a forum is not going to change the "brilliant" decisions made by TML to decimate a cult product willingly, despite of numerous voices against the same through feed backs and reviews.
What I consider as a learning curve and a unique case study in management/marketing, this whole facelift thing, for me at least, is a crude reminder of what a few "educated" decision makers can do to a classic product. Additionally, the person(s) who decided to adorn the "beast" with rickets stricken legs(wheels, 15") deserves an automobile Oscar. Such is the greatness of TML.
Old 21st April 2015, 08:11   #581
Senior - BHPian

I think we should wait for the Storme to be launched before trashing it. There is no proof of genuity of the Motorbeam article. And it does say 4 disc brakes in the picture. 15" wheels would mean beefier tires to maintain speedo calibration. It would probably look like a monster truck. Hoping for the best.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 08:59   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I think we should wait for the Storme to be launched before trashing it. There is no proof of genuity of the Motorbeam article. And it does say 4 disc brakes in the picture. 15" wheels would mean beefier tires to maintain speedo calibration. It would probably look like a monster truck. Hoping for the best.
All that's stated is true. I have seen the deck and the new brochure. Only thing I do not know yet is pricing.
Old 21st April 2015, 09:15   #583
BHPian

All I wanted to know was if they put the spare wheel where it belongs . looks like they have'nt . sigh
johny_desparado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 10:39   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
You are correct. The problem is with the top guys heading respective departments. To them its just another "project", another "question" answered in their annual quest to notch up their KRA score.
If it does not sell, they will say its marketing's fault and marketing in turn will say its product planning's fault.
There are many enthusiasts / enthusiast engineers in TML, but they are young, often in junior or mid management whose voices are seldom heard.

Another problem with the marketing & sales people at TML, is that no one gets seriously involved with the product. No one wants to get under the car, bruise their knuckles and chip their nails to understand what their product actually offers vis a vis the competition.
It's all " training.pptx" and "training.xlsx" management. As a result, these sales people percolate this half baked, "in-confident" knowledge to dealer sales people who make a hash of things. I can bet on it, that if you ask a TML sales guys about the low ratio transfer box details about the 4x4 Safari and how it stacks up against competition and then infer about climbing ability / gradeability etc, they will struggle to come up with an instantaneous, accurate answer.

The last of the "car guy" CEO's at TML was Dr. V.Sumantran. Hope TML recruits someone of his calibre (or him again!!) to become truly competitive in all segments.
Old 21st April 2015, 11:07   #585
BHPian

Just wanted to share two Scoops/Leaks from Year 2012 (One on our Bhp and another on Motoroids) that some of us may be able to connect to NOW - that 2012 model just landed in 2015 - The Original Tata Merlin
This will give you all a hint that 160bhp being tested in 2015 will come out in 2017-2018 :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-.jpg  

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-b.jpg  

Last edited by rajismine : 21st April 2015 at 11:09.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks