Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2015, 14:06   #646
BHPian

re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

Seems the media drives have started. Some images to share

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-img_6499edit_0.jpg

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-img_6592.jpg

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-img_6598.jpg

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-img_6599.jpg

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-img_6603.jpg

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-img_6606.jpg

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-img_6610.jpg

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-img_6613.jpg

Image copyright respective owner.

Source : http://www.motoringworld.net/cars/ga...acelift-driven
sachinayak is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 20:42   #647
BHPian

Is this edition out and if so has anyone read the review?
Old 29th April 2015, 21:05   #648
Senior - BHPian

Never heard of this magazine:Motoring world. Is it an Indian mag? Can someone scan the review and put it up?
Old 29th April 2015, 21:20   #649
BHPian

Steering looks same as in GenX Nano. Of course with steering controls.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-img_6598.jpg  

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-20150428125422_pfd_6337-copy.jpg  

Old 29th April 2015, 21:24   #650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Can someone scan the review and put it up?
I guess that won't be allowed here due to copyright issues.

They do seem to have published some pictures on their website though. You can check it out here - http://www.motoringworld.net/cars/ga...acelift-driven
Old 30th April 2015, 00:44   #651
BHPian

Going by the changes that are seen on the last few facelifts (and the "facedrop" for the latest Lx version), I think the most immediate change should be to the team that designs and redesigns and upgrades (or sometimes downgrades) the Tata Safari/Storme.

This team still does not identify the Safari as a good looking long distance luxury tourer with 4wd capabilities. And thats what the Safari fans want it to be. Until the team understands this requirement, any meaningful update to this dream machine will remain a distant dream.

Last edited by Kairalee : 30th April 2015 at 00:48.
Kairalee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 11:43   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
This team still does not identify the Safari as a good looking long distance luxury tourer with 4wd capabilities. And thats what the Safari fans want it to be. Until the team understands this requirement, any meaningful update to this dream machine will remain a distant dream.
What Range Rover is to the world is what Safari is to its fans in India.

Small improvements go a long way in improving the perception but I agree with you, that the team working on it seems disconnected from the Voice of Customer.

They need to understand that Safari is a cult, don't ridicule it!
Old 30th April 2015, 11:49   #653
BHPian

I bought the magazine online. Not a very elaborate review (hoping we have on BHP soon) but just a 2-3 page short review with a lot of stuff that we already know like features and expected price.

That said, few key points that are called out are --
1) Driving feels less stressful thanks to some tweaks in steering position
2) Engine is crisper, revs more cleanly and has improved low and mid range performance. Also flat spots in the power band are completely gone now
3) Gear throws improved slightly with mis-shifts reduced considerably

It ends by saying that this is now the perfect Storme!
xbox360 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 11:58   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What Range Rover is to the world is what Safari is to its fans in India.
Even for sake of a comparison that is just not correct at any level. Safari, at best can be thought of as poor man's Pajero.

I have been a proud owner of a Safari for many years, but I find this talk of it being a cult vehicle preposterous. Even in Punjab, which is an absolutely SUV crazy state, people have just forgotten about the Safari. In short, mostly no one is bothered by it.

Last edited by rrsteer : 30th April 2015 at 11:59.
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 12:09   #655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Even for sake of a comparison that is just not correct at any level. Safari, at best can be thought of as poor man's Pajero.
Not a Pajero simply because the niggles are equivalent to owning a Range Rover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I have been a proud owner of a Safari for many years, but I find this talk of it being a cult vehicle preposterous. Even in Punjab, which is an absolutely SUV crazy state, people have just forgotten about the Safari. In short, mostly no one is bothered by it.
You are absolutely right there. People, if haven't already, will definitely forget about Safari because it hasn't improved with time. The following that Safari had was mostly because of the monopoly that existed. While Scorpio was most definitely able to make a dent some Safari fans just didn't bother even test driving a Scorpio because Safari had that character, which without question, would only take it so far.

More than a decade gone and if this is the scale of improvement then the fan following isn't going to last for long. Mahindra, in the meanwhile, came with a product such as the XUV5OO. In fact, even improved the Scorpio lage haath.

Safari or Storme might die a slow death simply because its not keeping up with the times and the improvements aren't considered significant by majority, sales numbers are evident to all.
Old 30th April 2015, 12:30   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Hey, if it leads to better quality control and cheaper spares, it's a small price to pay. Plus, it neither looks out of place nor anything of that sort. It is safe to assume there is going to be a lot of part sharing among the Zest, Bolt, Kite and the Nano to keep the costs down.

Also, high time the market gets an all-new Safari. This refresh, I believe is just TATA buying time till it readies it's next offering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Never heard of this magazine:Motoring world. Is it an Indian mag? Can someone scan the review and put it up?

BS Motoring was rebranded to Motoring World after the Delhi Press took over operations.

Cheers!
Cartman
Cartman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 12:36   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Safari or Storme might die a slow death simply because its not keeping up with the times and the improvements aren't considered significant by majority, sales numbers are evident to all.
Agreed. Tata needs to act & it needs to act NOW! Safari, I would still state is a legacy brand. I've seen the commercials of it probably when I was in school almost a decade & a half ago, & when I could buy a car in that price range, my heart only wanted a Safari.

BUT, with the treatment the brand is getting; the slow paced upgrades with technology which, forget the competitors, even other products within the TM portfolio have better tech & features(case in point Bolt & Zest).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
It's actually the same unit as that of the Bolt & Zest.
Old 30th April 2015, 12:42   #658
BHPian

they mentioned that Storme gets a new powermap..i wonder and i wish we get the remap too for our stormes. The 3rd gear flat spots are an irritant if rpm is low, as if the vehicle is out of breath and accelerator pedal has died, with no effect on engine
Old 30th April 2015, 13:11   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
they mentioned that Storme gets a new powermap..i wonder and i wish we get the remap too for our stormes.
I believe the varicor engine comes with a new turbocharger and airfilter box as I compared my Aria engine with older one in service center.
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 13:25   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
I believe the varicor engine comes with a new turbocharger and airfilter box as I compared my Aria engine with older one in service center.
Yes I guess I saw your old post earlier where you mentioned about the Turbo. But somehow I feel that may increase the topline and power (148bhp), but may have lesser role to pay on torque, I may be wrong though. Air-filter again the same case, as it will let engine breathe better, but I doubt that has to do with torque. On the other side, considering my storme is Dec 2014, how would tata have different turbo for this and aria considering both are on same platform. BTW, i do feel that steering, clutch and even the engine noise on mine is much lesser compared to say 6-10 months older stormes. My storme also came with white LED cabin lights unlike the older storme :-)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed