Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2014, 09:42   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

As a lot of people hope, even I hope the 1.6 MJD comes to India in the 120 bhp form rather than the Peugot unit. But knowing the birdie's reputation it's gonna be the latter I guess.

Off-Topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
....I didn't know Vitara had a diesel option in Europe! Why didn't Maruti launch Vitara diesel here if they had a diesel option available?...
Licensing issues. Usually, these engines / variants are licensed to be sold in specific regions / countries unless specified. Remember that the Outlander had a 2.2L diesel engine in Europe which was never brought to India. I was told (by Mitsubishi India MD) that they could NOT sell the diesel Outlander outside of Europe.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th May 2014 at 09:45.
swiftnfurious is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 09:43   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not know for sure what engine is coming, i do not speculate, only Maruti know what they are going to do with the engine they are testing. The test mules have the DV6 engine with a 6 Speed Manual Transmission and 1.3 Multijet, none of the test mules have Fiat's 1.6 Multijet.
.anshuman is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 10:02   #33
Team-BHP Support

Re: Team-BHP SCOOP- Maruti YL1, Vento sized SX4 replacement details leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
This is all for now. Little Birdie says hello to Team-BHPians!
I hope its the same little birdie that revealed all the details about pre-production version of the Ciaz before the magazines could even snap the concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
he confirmed that its coming with Fiat 1.6 D and not as speculated as Peugeot 1.6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Just got hold of the Autocar Magazine
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
With Hormazd categoricacally stating it would be the 1.6 Fiat engine for the S Cross
Guys, put yourself in Hormazd's shoes.

The magazine has just hit the stands, S-Cross is on their covers and they have declared that it is the 1.6 MJD that will come to the Indian market. Do you think he would say otherwise even if a pic of the Peugeot 1.6 under the hood of the test car is presented to him?

I would trust the words from our little birdie here!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th May 2014 at 10:05.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 10:11   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

I always trust the Birdie for the information as it is authentic and factual. No pressure from any side. Hence we all believe the birdie. I just posted it to clear the confusion.

Quote:
I do not speculate
Sincere apologies to all if my post of the Autocar magazine has hurt anyone. Apologies to .anshuman and the birdie.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th May 2014 at 10:12.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 10:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys, put yourself in Hormazd's shoes.

The magazine has just hit the stands, S-Cross is on their covers and they have declared that it is the 1.6 MJD that will come to the Indian market. Do you think he would say otherwise even if a pic of the Peugeot 1.6 under the hood of the test car is presented to him?

Well said! This is the age of "we showed it first" battle more than facts. From a business perspective, lesser number of people would be interested in the test drive of a car that is unlikely to come to India with the same engine. However, exterior and interior shots are likely to be more or less the same which means they cannot afford to wait and lose out to competition. On the other hand, if it is claimed as an early preview of what to expect in India in a few months, it gathers a lot of attention and helps them sell the magazine in much higher numbers. Hormazd test drove the S-Cross in Europe which doesn't mean Suzuki has the license for 1.6MJD in India.

In Europe, Suzuki is not such a big threat to Fiat and they can afford to license MJD engines to Suzuki without compromising its own interest.

Licensing 1.6 MJD to Maruti in India would be beneficial for Fiat in short term with revenue from engine sales but it would practically kill their hope of good numbers as a car manufacturer in Indian market even in their second innings. They'll be relegated to an engine manufacturer in a while since they would lose their biggest USP. Once Suzuki develops their own diesel engines and gradually moves to own technology, even the engine sales would dry up for Fiat and they would be totally out of the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Licensing issues. Usually, these engines / variants are licensed to be sold in specific regions / countries unless specified. Remember that the Outlander had a 2.2L diesel engine in Europe which was never brought to India. I was told (by Mitsubishi India MD) that they could NOT sell the diesel Outlander outside of Europe.
They could have got the license for India too. Unlike Fiat, Peugeot doesn't operate in India and wouldn't be threatened in any way with Suzuki using their diesel mill in India. I don't see any reason why Peugeot wouldn't be interested in giving the license to MSIL for Vitara. Maruti have used the Peugeot TUD-5 diesel in Zen and Esteem in the past, so a Peugeot diesel engine is not a totally new item for MSIL too.

I was under the impression that the R&D costs for mating a diesel engine to Vitara was the deterrent but if that exercise was already done for Europe, the cost wouldn't have been so prohibitive.

Last edited by zenren : 5th May 2014 at 10:37.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 10:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They could have got the license for India too. Unlike Fiat, Peugeot doesn't operate in India and wouldn't be threatened in any way with Suzuki using their diesel mill in India. I don't see any reason why Peugeot wouldn't be interested in giving the license to MSIL for Vitara. Maruti have used the Peugeot TUD-5 diesel in Zen and Esteem in the past, so a Peugeot diesel engine is not a totally new item for MSIL too.

I was under the impression that the R&D costs for mating a diesel engine to Vitara was the deterrent but if that exercise was already done for Europe, the cost wouldn't have been so prohibitive.
The Grand Vitara coming with a Diesel mill in other markets is no new news. As for the car in India, Maruti Suzuki ought to have first started selling it as a locally manufactured car or atleast locally assembled CKD before they think of selling it with an oil burner heart. While the car is one of the best in it's category and has immense off-road capabilities, simply look at the price at which a petrol GV sells today. If you had the money, would you buy one? Considering they have not even added any more in terms of safety features, gizmos, space etc to keep it modern? Now just imagine how much more it would cost with a diesel heart after the initial increase in prices due to whatever reason, it simply became un-viable to provide the GV with a diesel motor in India unless they locally manufactured the car; which I don't believe they had the capabilities to do.
IshaanIan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 10:48   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Vitara badges could feature in Suzuki showrooms from 2015 reports Australian website Goauto.
Quote:
Suzuki is yet to reveal technical or powertrain information on the iV-4, other than it will be light-weight, be among the lowest CO2 emitters in its class and feature Suzuki's next.
The iV-4 is pitched as a rugged twin to the slightly-smaller S-Cross, and fits size-wise between the Jimny and Grand Vitara. This makes it a spiritual successor to the popular Vitara that retailed until 2000.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257CCC001B2929
Old 5th May 2014, 13:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
The Intercooler looks strange.
I've seen this line being repeated in several auto sites on this topic. Could someone please clarify exactly what is strange about the intercooler?
Old 5th May 2014, 13:46   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Has Little Birdie got any info on whether the petrol version will come with AWD & Auto gearbox? And whether they will be offering 6 airbags in the top end versions? Thanks in advance.
Birdie has not come across either Automatic or AWD variant of S-Cross. There is an Automatic version of YL1 being tested, not sure whether its the AMT type.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 16:34   #40
BHPian

I have posted this before, but it bears repetition: ChryslerFiat is VERY interested in buying out VW's share (under arbitration) in Suzuki globally. Whether that will work out (we'll know by next year) will determine Maruti's longterm relationship with Fiat India on the matter of big and small diesels. The choice of the Peugeot engine for the SX4 cross could just be an interim one.

Caveat: this is speculation, albeit based on facts and possibilities if not probabilities!
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 14:38   #41
BHPian

this DV6 is same as Fold DLD a.k.a Duratorq. So this is effectively the same engine as the Fiesta?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DLD_engine#DLD-416
Old 6th May 2014, 14:41   #42
BHPian

I just hope they keep the AWD from the test car which is (I think) from the UK. Most Indian motorists havent grown up yet to the idea of the benefits of AWD of added grip and control, etc in regular driving. Most people confuse AWD with off-roading and hence find it irrelevant and an unnecessary premium to pay over regular 2WD variants.
Audi with Quattro is too premium. A Maruti lifestyle vehicle with AWD will be a really interesting choice.
KrishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 22:32   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
I clearly do not understand the ideology of garnering good sales as a pre-condition to bring in the 1.6MJD by Fiat. On the other hand if Fiat brings the 1.6 engine in the Linea and their other upcoming products, it should give them decent number of sales. The Tjet engine and the 1.6 MJD will provide an exclusivity to their products in the market.
If a commodity doesn't sell the way it should and sells below average why will a manufacturer invest in that commodity to load it to the gill and still not get the desired numbers only to face losses. I am not saying that improvement is bad but manufacturers make improvements based more on sales figures.

Why does the Swift get so many updates?

What about the Honda City?

What about the WagonR?

They sell well so plonk money to make it better by adding something.

If we sell we survive and to survive we must sell!

Sorry for but I wanted to share it:

I work in the FMCG industry and the current condition is stagnation! Both in terms of sales and in terms of product types (No new drink and flavour). Same old Cola and fruit drinks. Nothing revolutionary is happening so that the market wakes up. Crores of money is being invested now by the company I work for developing new drinks that are unique. R&D is stepped up to better the current products on sale so that it still remains the market favourite in that category.

All such steps are taken by manufacturers only by seeing the demand for the product and how well it sells. If it doesn't sell then another try is given but even then it fails, product is discontinued. Same applies for the automobile industry that even more sensitive.

Almost everything (Salaries, pay hikes, bonus, investment in new equipments, update the machinery etc etc) is based and highly dependant on sales figures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
The eagerness is clearly on the part of MS to source a competent engine so that they can launch the S-Cross. The sedan is also in the pipeline for which they would require a 1.5/1.6 Ltr. engine.
I don't see anything wrong here. Maruti Suzuki is the market leader and wants to remain the same and to do it, it needs better portfolio with freshness. So to get that a new heart is needed which is why it is needing a 1.6L MJD. If Fiat does give that to Maruti then watch the fun as to how sales charts speak.

I am very confident on Maruti that they will enjoy the bonuses and share the same with Fiat if it provides the engine else that profit goes to Peugot for the HDi. Simple. One's loss is another's gain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
And yeah why not a 1.6HDi swift? It would also be somewhat fun I think.
I agree, why not see how the 1.6 HDi fares against the characteristics of the 1.3 MJD, though both are different altogether but that is labelled as the Nation's engine so any engine bought into the market will get compared with the 1.3 MJD. If not the best the HDi should be on the likes of the MJD to get the numbers what Maruti is looking at.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 11:21   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why does the Swift get so many updates?

What about the Honda City?
If I have to answer, it's NOT the sales numbers. It's because

1. The competition grew stronger and these models HAD to be updated to continue their dream run.
2. The respective manufacturers were listening to the customers / market!

If Swift never had any worthy competitor, they would have NEVER bothered to upgrade. Same way, City - if I am NOT wrong, the previous gen did NOT have even have an Automatic Climate Control! It's when they started losing, they upgraded.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th May 2014 at 12:07. Reason: Correcting abbreviation
Old 8th May 2014, 15:47   #45
Team-BHP Support

Having driven the mini cooper 110bhp extensively, even on mountain roads, I can vouch for this engine. Turbo Lag - What is that?
This is like a locomotive and will pull the car in top gear from as low as 1200rpm.
Even with a slightly higher weight than the mini cooper D, this engine can make the SX4 really take off.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks