Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:45   #1171
BHPian

Re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Its the NEXA showrooms, SCROSS would on 5th August.
On a different bote watched the webcast of NEXA launch for 15 mins (couldnt tolerate more), it seemed confused with silly light show on the stage. I thought they would talk about the marketting brand and stuff. Probably they did, i just tuned in late.
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:32   #1172
BHPian

Had a quick conversation with one of the RM's here in Pune.

The 1.3 is available for test drive from today. But apparently the NEXA showroom is still not ready so they have kept the car at some stockyard. The 1.6 will be available from 1st week August, so basically after the official launch on 5th Aug.

I was also provided with tentative prices.

1.3 Alpha - 11.5L OTR
1.6 Alpha - 14-14.5L OTR

Might head for a test drive of 1.3 alpha, if I can squeeze out some time from my work schedule

Stay tuned!
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:49   #1173
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a small analysis of the equipment/features on offer with the S-Cross variants
The brochure was a bit confusing for certain features like separate rows for Manual AC and Auto AC which would be just opposite each other, so I simplified these by using just the better one, in this case Auto AC. Also, felt colour coding the features makes in easier to comprehend, so here goes:
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-featurelist1.png

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-featurelist2.png

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-featurelist3.png

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-featurelist4.png

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-featurelist5.png

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-featurelist6.png

From the list above, a few observations and comparison scenarios:
1. All variants get these:
  • Body Coloured Door handles
  • Body Coloured ORVM
  • Silver Skid plate garnish
  • Wheel Arch Extension
  • Chrome Front Grille
  • B Pillar Blackout
  • Turn Lamps on ORVM
  • Split Rear Combination Lamp
  • Chrome finish on AC Lover knobs
  • Chrome tipped parking brake lever
  • Front Map Lamp
  • TFT information display with Trip meter and fuel consumption
  • 7 step illumination control
  • Outside temperature display
  • Suzuki TECT Body
  • Front Disc Brake
  • Dual Horn
  • Headlamp leveling
  • Engine immobilizer
  • Driver airbag
  • Driver side seat belt reminder lamp & buzzer
  • Door Speakers (4)
  • Central Locking
  • Keyless entry
  • Power windows
  • Driver side Auto up/down window with anti pinch
  • Electrically adjustable ORVMs
  • Tilt Steering
  • Driver side vanity mirror
  • Co-Driver side vanity mirror
  • Shoulder height adjustable front seat belts
  • Soft Touch IP
  • 60-40 Split rear seats
  • Back pocket on front seat
  • Dust & Pollen filter
  • Door trim 1000ml bottle holders
  • Front accessory socket
  • Luggage Board
  • Electric back door opening

*Listing some items like the Wheel arch and luggage board as features are trivial/silly

*Overall, that's quite a lot of features, definitely going by Maruti and other manufacturer's past standards

2. All variants except Sigma get these:
  • Rear Disc Brake
  • ABS
  • Co-driver airbag
  • Front seat belt pretensioner
  • Front seat belt force limiter

*So, upgrade to Sigma(O) if you want these

Comparing the mid and top variants of 1.3L and 1.6L
3. DDiS 200 1.3L Diesel Zeta Vs Alpha
Zeta does not get these:
  • LED Position Lamps
  • Leather seat upholstery
  • Leather wrapped steering
  • HID-Projector headlamps
  • Auto headlamps
  • Rain sensing wiper
  • Auto dimming IRVM

4. DDiS 320 1.6L Diesel Zeta Vs Alpha
Zeta does not get these:
  • LED Position Lamps
  • Leather seat upholstery
  • Leather wrapped steering
  • HID-Projector headlamps
  • Auto headlamps
  • Rain sensing wiper
  • Reverse parking camera
  • Auto AC
  • Cruise Control

#TECT = Total Effective Control Technology - Link

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd July 2015 at 16:05. Reason: Added some bullets for readability. Great post, thanks!
NPV is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 14:13   #1174
BHPian

Nice compilation above. So all variants except the Sigma get 2 airbags, abs and 4 discs, ie all essential safety features.
Never thought I'd say this; Hyundai (Creta) should learn a thing or two from Maruti about equipping variants!

Last edited by rednikhil : 23rd July 2015 at 14:17.
rednikhil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 14:15   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
The 1.3 is available for test drive from today. But apparently the NEXA showroom is still not ready so they have kept the car at some stockyard. The 1.6 will be available from 1st week August, so basically after the official launch on 5th Aug.

1.3 Alpha - 11.5L OTR
1.6 Alpha - 14-14.5L OTR

Might head for a test drive of 1.3 alpha, if I can squeeze out some time from my work schedule

Stay tuned!
Hey thats terrific. This is probably the first time I'm hearing of someone getting to drive the 1.3 configuration in the S-Cross! Do keep us posted.

BTW, if the prices you indicated come true, MS will have certainly have a winner in its hands, and Skoda or Ford, will have one car less to show in their sales charts
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:03   #1176
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi99 View Post
Its the NEXA showrooms, SCROSS would on 5th August.
On a different bote watched the webcast of NEXA launch for 15 mins (couldnt tolerate more), it seemed confused with silly light show on the stage. I thought they would talk about the marketting brand and stuff. Probably they did, i just tuned in late.
Link

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-nexalaunch.jpg
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:05   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Had a quick conversation with one of the RM's here in Pune.

1.3 Alpha - 11.5L OTR
1.6 Alpha - 14-14.5L OTR

Stay tuned!
I think the prices are hypothetical. We are again creating an artificial hope like Creta and this might be similar tactics by RM to fetch more pre-launch bookings.

Going by the price in Pune for the fully loaded Ciaz ZDI(O) which retails @12.5L, S-Cross Alpha is bound to cost the same or a little bit more. As per my today's conversation with one of the RM in Bangalore, S-Cross is going to cost more than Ciaz. Also there will be 1.5L - 1.75L difference between 1.3 and 1.6 models. So as per me the prices will be:

1.3 Alpha - 13.0L OTR
1.6 Alpha - 14.75L OTR

These prices are my expectations however the RM had some knowledge about the pricing but refused to speak about it. Yes, the original launch date was 23rd July for both Nexa and S-Cross, but it has been postponed to either July end and August 1st week. The reason told by the RM is "Price" re-fitment. So be ready to get a surprise or shock.

On a side note, I was told by RM that Ciaz has a 25k cash discount apart from exchange bonus 25k till the end of this month.
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:38   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Did a small analysis of the equipment/features on offer with the S-Cross variants
Hi NPV,

I posted the details from the brochure comparing various variants (and across DDiS 200 vs DDiS 320) on the day the official brochure was revealed. Also uploaded the Excel for everyone to download and customize for their need.

See this Post

Probably would have saved you sometime in getting the features into Excel again.
mrbaddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:12   #1179
Distinguished - BHPian

Now it is Official,

Maruti Suzuki S-Cross to launch on August 5th.

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-capture.jpg

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki India, the country's largest car maker, has announced that it will laCustomers intending to buy S-Cross can leave their contact details at any of the existing nationwide Maruti Suzuki sales network. In addition the Company is displaying the S-Cross at prominent locations where customers can see the S-Cross and give their intent for purchase.unch the S-cross premium crossover on August 5. S-cross will be the first product to be launched through its Nexa outlets.
http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...ust-5/48185526

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd July 2015 at 16:24.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:20   #1180
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb analysis NPV.

Also, any plans of changing Dizzy?

Quote:
Listing some items like the Wheel arch and luggage board as features are trivial/silly
From a manufacturer who lists left ORVM's as feature, I am not surprised.
Link

Quote:
All variants except Sigma get these:
[*]Rear Disc Brake[*] ABS[*] Co-driver airbag[*] Front seat belt pretensioner[*] Front seat belt force limiter
Makes me wonder regarding the rear drum brakes of Sigma. Wouldn't it been easier for Maruti to provide disc brakes on Sigma also, and get rid of headache of maintaining separate inventory and design.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:21   #1181
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Probably would have saved you sometime in getting the features into Excel again.
Thanks. I missed your post as this thread is growing very quickly and I came late to the party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Superb analysis NPV.

Also, any plans of changing Dizzy?
Makes me wonder regarding the rear drum brakes of Sigma. Wouldn't it been easier for Maruti to provide disc brakes on Sigma also, and get rid of headache of maintaining separate inventory and design.
Haven't given a serious thought to replacing Dizzy, it just caught my interest so checked it out

Analysis was just to get an idea of how the variants stack up against each other and to see if Maruti did anything different in terms of features: variants which they have Now all this needs is to compare based on pricing to see if the difffertial is worth paying!

I wonder why they complicate manufacturing with minor differences in the specs like the rear drum brakes as you rightly mentioned. This also leads to service/support and parts complications.

I love the way Apple positions their products, just wish automobile manufacturers take a cue from them!

Last edited by NPV : 23rd July 2015 at 17:36.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 19:13   #1182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Great compilation NPV.

Great to see the driver airbag standard across all variants and the passenger airbag and ABS in all but one lowest variant. Good job Maruti. Now can you also bring this focus on safety to your mass market products please. If you do that, then others have to follow.

Expansive feature list. Cannot think of anything missing really (well, apart from hill assist, ESC and 6 airbags). Everything else seems to be there.

Disappointed that there is no AT. It is about time that they get a good (at-least) 6 speed AT into India. I am assuming Suzuki has the technology somewhere. The S Cross was a good opportunity.

Looks like it is going to span a wide price range. I expect a two prong pricing strategy- Mouth watering prices for the 1.3 and high prices for the 1.6. Would not be surprised if the top versions of 1.6 are priced very close to the Creta.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 19:14   #1183
Senior - BHPian

Seems the 1.3 Alpha and 1.6 Alpha have the exact same features with an exception of the Engine (And might be Turbo) and Gearbox.

I hope the price difference between these would not be 1-1.5L. More than this, 1.3 would make a lot of sense.
Old 23rd July 2015, 19:49   #1184
Senior - BHPian

I think Maruti has a real difficult job at hand to sell this product.

First thing for anyone (read: majority, aam junta) buying a car above 10L in India is that does it look like a costly car? Does it stand out? Does it look desirable? Will relatives and friends look at this and go WOW? The answer is a clear NO and that's the biggest hurdle for the S-cross and one which is very difficult to cross.

Maruti might be shouting premium from the rooftops but the fact is it will be considered as a large hatchback by the aam junta, whether someone likes it or not. On top of that, it misses a few basic things like rear AC vents and also the boot is only 350 liters (same as the Jazz). And I know Maruti won't like it but this car will get compared to I20/I20 Active and Jazz (the 1.3 DDIS in particular) whereas Maruti would like it be compared with Creta/Duster/terrano.

I am not sure whether this video review has been posted in this thread (by Autocar).
The disappointing thing from the review is the ride and handling seems very average. You can see the reviewer did not like the steering feel in particular and the ride is not that great either.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-vid...ew-396053.aspx

The feature list is impressive, no doubt and kudos to Maruti for giving lot of emphasis on safety aspect.

Last edited by adimicra : 23rd July 2015 at 20:12.
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:33   #1185
BHPian

Despite many people having doubts about its prospect, I was very optimistic and was looking forward to the S Cross, well, until I saw it in flesh. Now, I am not so sure. It does not even look like a hatch on stilts. It looks like a long hatch. And if the Ciaz+ pricing that we are discussing here is correct, then Maruti has some real tough job at hand.

Despite what we enthusiasts might feel, the general public will either need the butch, beefy look of an SUV or a boot to part with 10-12 lakhs for a car. Who wants to spend 12 lakhs and then be compared with the Swift or i20?
wanderer4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks