Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:45   #1186
BHPian

Upgrading within the stable to the S cross - A Dzire owner's perspective

The Nexa at Kochi seems to be in a bit of panic mode. I get daily calls from the team. One executive thought I had not booked and called me up today asking me to book the car for 11k and promised me delivery by 2nd week of August. The Queues at Nexa are much shorter than at the Hyundai showroom for sure. Kochi Nexa has managed only 80-90 bookings (Thats three districts in Kerala together) while a single Hyundai dealer has more than 30-40 bookings for the Creta. The whole S cross and Nexa concept has not 'gone in to' prospective customers.

My gut feeling is that the 1.6 price is going to be one hell of a shocker, aka the Creta case. Asked about test drive car, said that it would be available by August 1st weekend. Ciaz has around 50k discounts, so a fairly kitted large sedan is available for 12L and if you choose a petrol version, you can have the Zxi for 10 L OTR. How will an average Indian car buyer (not me) prefer the 1.3 alpha at 13 Lacs (1 lac more than the Ciaz ZDI )??

I am particularly confused. I am going to upgrade from the old dzire vdi. It has no ABS, has joke of a front disc brake, no airbags and has reasonable amount of rattles and bumpy ride. Most of the time only myself will be driving the car; 50/50 city and 'highway' driving. I was on the lookout for a sedan.

The first one in consideration was the Verna 4s when it launched in Jan 2015. Thought about the VW Vento. Took a TD, loved it, but the dealership here is notorious in their service and many colleagues who own the VW warned me to keep away.

Then came the Ecosport, loved the design , though a bit overdone in my opinion, resembles one of those Kayan ladies from Burma who wear neck rings. The ford dealership at Thrissur impressed me. I will give full marks to the salesman Mr Gifto at the showroom. He was the only enthusiast salesman I ve seen in my life. No false promises, only facts. Took the TD.I liked the ride of the trend variant more than the titanium variant. (Something to do with the bigger tyres in the titanium that made the ride quite bumpy). Space at the rear was a premium. More over tall and fat me found it difficult to get a good seating position. I liked the zero lag engine, the unresponsive steering put me off a bit, but it was okay for me.

Then came my best driving experience. Went to Fiat, took a TD of the 1.4 T jet, loved the creamy pulling power, the soft clutch and the fantastic ride and handling. After I finished the drive, got in to my Dzire and when I started driviing, it felt like I was pedalling one of those exercise cycles on the maximum effort mode. Such was the clutch and braking experience of the Linea. Decided to go against the fiat as petrol running expenses would consume me with the current 1500-2000km monthly run. Moreover I would lose a lot on depreciation. Did not want a Diesel Linea as it was basically a 6 year old car.

Almost decided to go ahead with Ciaz booking. Liked the Ciaz interors, though I hated the tinny feel of the body. The bootlid was more tinny than in the 2008 Dzire. I used to feel that my Dzire had the tinniest boot of them all. Moreover loved the MJD, as I have already adjusted to the turbo lag and turbo kick. I had learned to keep the engine in boil whenever required. So I felt right at home in the Ciaz, except that I did not like the low seating and the tall dashboard.

Then came the S-cross. Maruti dealer gave a luke warm response to my enquiries. S cross got me interested in its punchy 1.6. I thought that the 1.6 would be priced may be one or 1.5 lakhs more than the ciaz. Decided to strecth my budget from 12 to 13.5. Registered at the nexa website, got a prompt reply nextday and I booked it the following day.

Brain to Heart: Why did you book the S cross?
Heart: For the 1.6
Brain: No for the features and because of the fear for shopping another brand
Heart: No...For the 1.6
Brain: Seems like the 1.6 would bepricey, why dont you go for the 1.3 alpha
Heart: No..I wont even mind the 1.6 delta
Brain: Ha Ha, So u want a swift in the size of a duster and priced like a creta and appointed like your Dzire ?
Heart: I want the 1.6 alpha

Brain: No the 1.3 would be fine
Heart: Saw the alpha variant, Convenience sort of pampers me, so Okay
Brain: So you are okay with the 1.3 alpha
Heart: yes
Brain: Ha Ha Ha, You ll buy a car at more than double the price you paid for in 2009 and drive the same teeny weeny tiny 1.3 MJD
Heart: It has VGT and 90 BHP
Brain: So what, you could have remapped your 1.3
Heart: No.. I want a 1.3 alpha
Brain: Why upgrade to S cross. It has 150 L less boot and no rear ac vents
Heart: It is safe, has two airbags and all disc brakes
Brain:Then why cant you take the ecosport it has six airbags, has a strong body, is equally powerful and it has everything except that fancy chineese touchscreen.
Heart: No I dont want an ecosport
Brain: So you want to upgrade to another 1.3
Heart: yes
Brain: Why upgade at all ?

One question lingers in my mind. Should I upgrade at all.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Despite many people having doubts about its prospect, I was very optimistic and was looking forward to the S Cross, well, until I saw it in flesh. Now, I am not so sure. It does not even look like a hatch on stilts. It looks like a long hatch. And if the Ciaz+ pricing that we are discussing here is correct, then Maruti has some real tough job at hand.

Despite what we enthusiasts might feel, the general public will either need the butch, beefy look of an SUV or a boot to part with 10-12 lakhs for a car. Who wants to spend 12 lakhs and then be compared with the Swift or i20?
The S cross is a sedan with its boot removed, something like a doberman with its tail cut. Thats why it looks like a long hatch. Like I mentioned earlier, ever since i saw the pic of the s cross with the duster, the Duster started to appear smaller. Infact Duster is a small car, compared to the SUVs like XUV or fortuner.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-dust-vs-eco.jpg  

Last edited by sandygordon : 23rd July 2015 at 22:00. Reason: Adding text
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:48   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I think Maruti has a real difficult job at hand to sell this product.
The review was posted already and it is not shown in a way you have mentioned it out here. Sure, the S-Cross has its negatives for there is no perfect car in the world. But nothing has been mentioned as a glaring omission or an issue with the car. The ride is not mentioned as average nor is the steering or the handling. The main displeasure was about the tires which is perhaps the easiest part that can be changed in a car if one doesn't like what is offered.

Let's wait for the review from this site .

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd July 2015 at 23:28. Reason: Pls check the mod note.
SchumiFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 22:22   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
I

I feel it's a competent product which will not find many takers unless Maruti pulls up a real surprise in the pricing.
Obviously, all this is speculation which we all are doing and we will see how the market reacts to this product.

Watch between 4:15 and 4:45 and you will understand what I am talking about. In fact, the reviewer mentions several times about the steering being vague at center and not giving a good feel.

Anyways,if you are considering the car for purchase, I wish you best of luck!

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd July 2015 at 23:29. Reason: Pls check the mod note.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 22:36   #1189
BHPian

The reviewer comments about dead on centre feel of the steering
'Dead on Center'- it refers to the fact every car has a little bit of slack or play from side to side when the steering wheel is 'dead on center', going perfectly straight. Basically, you can move the wheel a bit and the wheels won't turn. Some, 'dead space.' So you ll have to practically test small inputs to the steering to keep the car going straight. EPS units have these. Classical examples are the Xcent and i20 grand. I think this is something that can be addressed,but wont be.

Ride also was remarked to be not very good. It let the big bumps in.

The reviewer remarked about reaching the limits of the tires quickly, which is all praises for the engine and criticism for the poor shoes.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 22:42   #1190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
If you are considering the car for purchase, I wish you best of luck!
I asked for that 'very average' rating given by the reviewer for this vehicle as you mentioned in your post which again is not the way the car was described. I did see the video before posting my initial reply and now again after being pointed out by you. There is nothing in it that mentions the car in the way that you have put in your post.

I might or I might not buy the car but lets be factual in our criticism of the car than paraphrasing what the review might have told.

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd July 2015 at 23:30. Reason: Pls check the mod note.
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 23:31   #1191
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support: Some posts have been edited / deleted. Please maintain a polite tone, even when disagreeing with each other. Thanks.
Old 24th July 2015, 03:22   #1192
BHPian

Re: Upgrading within the stable to the S cross - A Dzire owner's perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
... the features and because of the fear for shopping another brand
This.
Every time i walk into another brand shop, i have the same feeling as if i am cheating my gf for a more sexy girl.

I think I would eventually end up buying another Maruti..
Old 24th July 2015, 09:50   #1193
Distinguished - BHPian

Nexa page gets updated . S Cross details added.

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-capture1.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-capture2.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-capture.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-capture3.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-capture4.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-capture7.jpg
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-capture5.jpg

http://nexaexperience.com/s-cross.html#section2

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th July 2015 at 09:53.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 10:13   #1194
Distinguished - BHPian

While I like this car and the features in provides, not too convinced on the Nexa concept and the huge investment that is going into it. Ultimately the car on the road is a Maruti (Or Suzuki) and that's how it will be perceived by the regular car buying population. Selling it through a Nexa outlet will not erase the bias that majority have against premium Maruti Suzuki cars.

If they really wanted to stand out, I feel it would have been better if they spun off a Luxury brand itself (Like Toyota has the Lexus, Nissan has the Infiniti and Honda the Acura). That would have given the buyers the differentiation.

Appreciate the effort that is being put in. Hope I am proved wrong.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 10:18   #1195
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
While I like this car and the features in provides, not too convinced on the Nexa concept and the huge investment that is going into it. Ultimately the car on the road is a Maruti (Or Suzuki) and that's how it will be perceived by the regular car buying population. Selling it through a Nexa outlet will not erase the bias that majority have against premium Maruti Suzuki cars.
+1 to that. How many people in our country will not buy a Maruti just because of the overall experience ? Yes, the customers buying the costlier vehicles, say Rupees 10 Lakh+ will expect a certain level of experience but will that alone make the difference ? Time will tell.
But what I liked was that in the Nexa launch yesterday, it was mentioned that one can track vehicle's accessorisation, service, etc using a mobile app. I think this should simply be rolled out to all Maruti customers not just Nexa because of the smart phone explosion in the country.

Seeing the TV commercials, while Maruti is positioning the S-Cross as a Crossover (and some people claiming it is in a segment of it's own), Hyundai is calling the Creta an SUV - marketing teams trying to position these products differently in the hope of avoiding a competitive clash/comparison ?

Last edited by NPV : 24th July 2015 at 10:24.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 10:39   #1196
BANNED

Quote:
While I like this car and the features in provides, not too convinced on the Nexa concept and the huge investment that is going into it.
Agree that the profit will be less from the Nexa showrooms, but don't the showrooms of Fiat, Skoda, Nissan and other low-selling brands survive? I believe once the models like YRA and YBA are also out, the totals sales from the Nexa showrooms will be more than the combined sales of the above brands.
Old 24th July 2015, 10:49   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
While I like this car and the features in provides, not too convinced on the Nexa concept
Well my initial impression is that at least their sales executives are a notch above. At least i have had a very pleasant experience till now. I went to check out the S Cross yesterday ( took one full day leave as i had to drive 110 kms one way on broken roads for the same). The executive was in constant touch till i reached and he was waiting. Since Nexa showroom in Raipur has not been launched he took me to the yard and patiently explained every feature , though thanks to Team -BHP in the end i told him what he had missed and his reaction was Sir, next time i have a doubt , will call you if you don't mind.
So all in all excellent start indeed or maybe i am lucky.
Now since he knew i came from far, there was a 1.3 Top end in the yard and I was allowed to start it and take it for a short spin within the yard. Immediately after seeing the Cross i went to see Creta (within 5 mins of each other) My views are as under :-
  • The Blue S Cross we checked looked quite nice. Nothing very wrong personally in design. A little bland maybe. Creta looked awesome in White.
  • The roof rail of S Cross is far better looking than Creta where it looks like a crude add on.
  • Ingress and Egress In S Cross is far easier than Creta, where self and the lady had a real issue.
  • The first time you see a Creta immediately after the Cross, Creta feels huge. Was surprised that although it seemed bigger, S Cross dimension wise is longer at 4300 mm vs 4270 of Creta.
  • The front Seats of Creta were any day more comfortable. Thigh support is way better.
  • The dash of S Cross felt much more premium however certain side door plastics were still not up to the mark. Was disappointed with the two tone dash in Creta. Why could they not give us option of all black as in IX 25. But quality of plastics felt much better in Creta.
  • The rear seat of Creta is an issue. You sit low and window line is high. There will surely be a feeling of boxed in.
  • I was a tad disappointed with the NVH levels in S Cross 1.3 Ltr. Very audible. Need to check out 1.6 when it arrives
  • The Alloys were bland in S Cross . Even the alloys of CIAZ which was standing close felt much better. The alloys in SX (O) version of Creta were real oomph for me.

The Creta was a much better looker, with a presumable better road presence, but S Cross also ticked quite a few correct boxes.
Now all these issues are first impression before an extensive TD. So will wait for that once S Cross is launched on Aug 5

We also wait for review of Creta on Team BHP and the prices of S Cross.

Last edited by nkghai : 24th July 2015 at 10:52.
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 10:59   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I like this car and the features in provides, not too convinced on the Nexa concept and the huge investment that is going into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
+1 to that. How many people in our country will not buy a Maruti just because of the overall experience ?
Isn't the product matching the efforts put into making the showroom experience a premium one? S-Cross seems different to every other Maruti on sale currently in India.

They have not only changed the personnel but also the product to be on the premium side.

I think this is a good move from Maruti especially if they are able to launch future releases with the same level of equipments in comfort and safety.
Old 24th July 2015, 11:05   #1199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Agree that the profit will be less from the Nexa showrooms, but don't the showrooms of Fiat, Skoda, Nissan and other low-selling brands survive? I believe once the models like YRA and YBA are also out, the totals sales from the Nexa showrooms will be more than the combined sales of the above brands.
No doubt it will sell in decent numbers. My point was more towards: would you considering buying this car just because of a better showroom/sales experience? As such Maruti's sales and service experience are in general better than most other considering the volumes they do. So would selling it from a premium showroom give a good boost in sales? (Maybe the analysis shows that it does, I am just speculating)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Well my initial impression is that at least their sales executives are a notch above. At least i have had a very pleasant experience till now.
The Creta was a much better looker, with a presumable better road presence, but S Cross also ticked quite a few correct boxes.
Now all these issues are first impression before an extensive TD. So will wait for that once S Cross is launched on Aug 5

We also wait for review of Creta on Team BHP and the prices of S Cross.
Your comments are in line with my point. Your experience with Nexa has been good so far. But you are not going to buy the car just because of that. You are evaluating the car for what it is, comparing with competition and then you will take an informed decision. Would this have changed if the car had been sold through regular Maruti dealers-I don't think so.

Conversely, less informed buyers and/or buyers who have some prestige/show off aspects baked into their decision will see it as another Maruti car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Isn't the product matching the efforts put into making the showroom experience a premium one? S-Cross seems different to every other Maruti on sale currently in India.

They have not only changed the personnel but also the product to be on the premium side.

I think this is a good move from Maruti especially if they are able to launch future releases with the same level of equipments in comfort and safety.
Yes, totally agree. But I believe the car will sell/or not sell solely based on the capabilities of the car and not from where it is sold (Note: Specific to Maruti. I understand for brands like VW, the sales and service experience impacts the sales). The S Cross looks to be a good product from all aspects and I hope it will be successful. As I mentioned in a previous post, this can set the tone for Maruti to bring in high levels of safety and equipment to their mass market products also.

Overall, to clarify, I am not against the Nexa concept. They seem to be putting a lot of effort into it which is definitely appreciable and it gives customers a better experience overall. Was just wondering if it was all needed.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 24th July 2015 at 11:13.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 11:08   #1200
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrading within the stable to the S cross - A Dzire owner's perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
The Nexa at Kochi seems
Where is the nexa in kochi.

I too am having the same thoughts as you. the product is definitely good. but should you buy the 1.6 or the 1.3 is the question. The variant is definitely going to be alpha.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks