Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 14:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Cross: A Close Look

I saw a red color Etios Cross on NH-8 Gurgaon & cladding looked like after market addition and did not gel with red color. May be it will looks better on silver or some light metallic colors.

Front looks the best & gives the car a muscular look.
Old 7th May 2014, 14:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Looks silly and overdone from whatever angle I see it. The interiors are equally bland and unexciting.

The Etios doesn't sell because of many reasons - one being that it just doesn't look good enough when compared to its flamboyant competitors. The Cross takes the plain jane looks of the Etios and turns up the ugliness level.

It will compete with the Suzuki Swift RS or whatever that blue and white (fortunately limited edition) thing was, and that's where it should die a slow death.
Old 7th May 2014, 15:17   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Notice the gap between the bonnet and the front grille guard:
Attachment 1236596
I am sorry, but how can the engineering management of a company like toyota issue "ok, thats fine" for this ? Toyota thinks they can get away with anything, just by flauting the 'reliability' badge ? This is just ridiculous and reeks of arrogance.
Old 7th May 2014, 15:58   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Etios Cross launched at Rs 5.76 lakh ( ex-showroom Delhi)
Quote:
Toyota India today has launched its Etios Cross compact crossover at Rs 5.76 lakh, ex-Delhi. The Etios Cross comes in four variants, two for the petrol and two for the diesel respectively. Petrol variants are named ‘G’ and ‘V’ while the diesel ones are named as ‘GD’ and ‘VD’.
Quote:
The upholstery on the seats have been embroidered with the ‘Etios Cross’ logo giving the interior its own unique identity. The top end ‘V’ and ‘VD’ trims get an audio system with aux-in and Bluetooth capabilities along with steering mounted audio controls and a steering wheel wrapped in leather. The ‘V’ and ‘VD’ variants will be getting dual airbags while ABS is available on all versions except the ‘G’ trim.
Toyota Etios Cross G- Rs 5.76 lakh
Toyota Etios Cross V- Rs 7.35 lakh
Toyota Etios Cross GD- Rs 6.9 lakh
Toyota Etios Cross VD- Rs 7.40 lakh

http://overdrive.in/news/toyota-etio...lakh-in-india/

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th May 2014 at 16:01.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 16:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

It looks sturdy for sure like all toyota vehicles, but does not look premium in any angle. The outer plastic cladding is surely rugged and best suited for city driving abuse(read scratches) but will look cheap and dull.

I thought people pay extra to get the bumpers painted to body color and Toyota just gave us a car with plastic cladding all around

Anyways, Toyota really needs to pitch for the urban and private car segments. Etios/Innova etc are all suited for public transport. Wish they give a more posh looking(like the new corolla that will come next) small sedan to us and a mini SUV like ecosport
rajshenoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 23:07   #36
BHPian

During my recent visit to Toyota service center, my SO informed me about Etios cross, gave me a brochure. This was the Q&A that I had with her:

Me: What's the difference with Liva?

SO: It has got a SUV feel.

Me(Thinking): C'mon, you got to be kidding me! From which angle is this SUV.

Me: What's the ground clearance?

SO: Not much, a little improvement over Liva. It's mainly targeted towards people who want a SUV but have the budget of a hatchback.

I agreed to disagree. No further questions asked

Last edited by Apple Master : 7th May 2014 at 23:11.
Apple Master is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 23:11   #37
BHPian

Prices for Etios Cross just released, at least 50k overpriced in my view. OTR for the top end 1.5 petrol model would be around 8 Lakhs!

Plus here it says the roof rails have no load bearing capacity - I read elsewhere they did could take load...

But other than that, seems to be a decent car

http://www.gaadi.com/news/detailed-r...emove_paging=1
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 12:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

Looking at pricing, i guess it will be more flop than Toyota must have anticipated. V model will cost like 8 - 8.5 Lacs on road here in Pune. Why would one will buy this with ugly interiors & cheap looking exteriors? One can get much better cars like Swift ZDI, Xcent diesel, Dzire, Amaze, Grand i10 etc at the similar price point. Toyota again showed that they are not interested in Indian car market.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 17:32   #39
BHPian

Gosh, was actually planning to take this as an option as I'm in the market for a new car. However, will stay away from this because of the insane pricing. I don't want to pay so much for some plastic cladding, however beautifying it may be.
gigatech2006 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 19:29   #40
BHPian

This is the Toyota Etios Gross, not cross. That silver mustache on the grill gives it a walrus look. Toyota should have saved the money they spent in making this bad mod job.

Not that the original car was a looker. I had always felt that such a bad design never came by accident or that Toyota didn't have enough to pay for a professional car designer. Somebody has to really put an effort to make it look so bad.
blacksport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 00:58   #41

That plastic cladding is going to be a nightmare to maintain. Its going to fade and polishing it will keep you up at night.
Old 9th May 2014, 21:04   #42
BHPian

Would have understood this design was from some individual with an intent to stand out from the crowd and for some reason likes a lot of plastic probably to show the autowallahs their dings can cause no dents, paint peel offs etc .. But this from Toyota is plain sloppy. It can not hope to be a success as there is no reason to shell out and buy this over Liva if not for the different read 'weird' looks. If and when this becomes popular customers will not want to buy this anymore as they will not have the exclusivity then. Waste of manufacturing and marketing effort.

Toyota, if you are listening :
1. Please improve interiors of the etios twins. Make it more driver friendly.
2. Remove that silly smile off the face. Make it more aggressive. The current look reminds me of a confounded puppy.
Old 9th May 2014, 22:37   #43
BHPian

Indians seem to be taken for granted by Toyota. T thinks when a car like Qualis could be sold then anything can be sold to Indians. The saddest part is even after the Liva and Etios being a big flop and 3 years since the launch they still want to give/relaunch these cars with dumb addons. This is unbelievable from a company that sells the max abroad and is so reputed! But they have learnt a lesson in the bargain. India is a hatchback country and this is where Toyota had the potential to grow but they have failed miserably
zwift1819 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 23:20   #44
BHPian

This surely wins the 'how to make an ugly looking car uglier' award.

It is so disappointing to see a great brand like Toyota come up with such dreadful products.
AbhishekE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 13:50   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
Indians seem to be taken for granted by Toyota. T thinks when a car like Qualis could be sold then anything can be sold to Indians. The saddest part is even after the Liva and Etios being a big flop and 3 years since the launch they still want to give/relaunch these cars with dumb addons. This is unbelievable from a company that sells the max abroad and is so reputed! But they have learnt a lesson in the bargain. India is a hatchback country and this is where Toyota had the potential to grow but they have failed miserably
I would go so far as to say this is arrogance on the part of Toyota. I am a big fan of the reliability of their cars, but to take us for granted is unacceptable.

They seriously need to look at their compatriots from Japan - Honda who have learnt their lesson and are reaping the benefits. Maruti is more Indian than Japanese since its larger than the parent itself, so doesn't really count as a compatriot

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks