Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2014, 11:26   #46
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Cross: A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I would go so far as to say this is arrogance on the part of Toyota. I am a big fan of the reliability of their cars, but to take us for granted is unacceptable.

They seriously need to look at their compatriots from Japan - Honda who have learnt their lesson and are reaping the benefits. Maruti is more Indian than Japanese since its larger than the parent itself, so doesn't really count as a compatriot

I guess with the grand success of Innova (read- old wine bottled again and again ) Toyota has adopted the "chalta hai" attitude for the Indian market. I wouldn't think a GM/Ford or even Maruti would dare to take such a risk in this critical market. Though Etios may not be a great passenger car it is a safe bet for many of the yellow boards. But Cross being a hatch back it does not fit into the yellow board segment and with the disastrous makeup fits neither in the passenger car segment. Wondering who will end up buying this???
Old 13th May 2014, 20:21   #47
BHPian

Went to check out the Etios Cross today & liked what I saw!
  • Plastic cladding does not look cheap, its hard plastic & wont scratch easily
  • Interiors are black & superb, plastic quality is decent
  • I kind of like the central console instead of the traditional driver side design
  • Rear seat is comfy for 3 adults
  • Lot of cubbyholes for bottles etc, but no zip storage on back of front seats
  • Gear slots very well, feels good in the hand
  • Roof rails have 50 kg load carrying capacity

They did not have a test drive Etios Cross yet, but I have test driven both the 1.4 Diesel & 1.5 Petrol Liva. The latter is far better, but is same price as diesel.

Both cost Rs 9 lakhs on the road in Mumbai, definitely priced too high.
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 19:18   #48
BHPian

I was at the Toyota showroom for servicing my Liva and had a close look at the Etios Cross.

Frankly, I liked what I saw. The car looks very good and is not at all boring unlike the other Etios siblings. The stance of the car, specially with diamond cut alloy wheels and the spoilers look quite sporty. The smiling grill is missing, therefore, giving it a robust look.

The car has plastic claddings, but that is well-designed. Very well integrated with the car, doesn't look at all like some cheap after-market fitting. The interior piano black finish looks good too.

Looks like the car has used better metal sheet as compared to Liva and Etios. The doors shut with a solid "thud". A sales representative was also talking about better metal used.

The weight of the car has increased by about 60 kg.

The G variant has got rear wipers too!

The sales rep at Topsel Toyota was very enthusiastic about the car, but lamented about low supply. According to him, they have got only six cars from the fectory so far against a booking of about 100 cars.

"Let this car come on road ptoperly and let people see it. At this price point this car will be an eye-catcer. We are very hopeful," was this comment.

The GD variant on road price in Kolkata is about 8.6 lakh. A Liva GD is 7.8 lakh.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 22:04   #49
BHPian

As per IAB Etios Cross has got 5400 bookings.
Current waiting period is more than 3 months.

Link:http://indianautosblog.com/2014/07/t...ookings-135558
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
The GD variant on road price in Kolkata is about 8.6 lakh. A Liva GD is 7.8 lakh.
I too saw the Etios Cross. Looks are fantastic. Infact I felt that it's the best looking hatch out there! No longer boring like the Etios twins.

And the pricing is going up and up. When my mom bought her Liva GDSP in 2011 last quarter, it costed only 6.5 lakhs OTR
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 18:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

I think the Etios Cross really nails the tough guy look in the exteriors and quite luxuriant look in the interiors. I think the vehicles looks DELICIOUS.

But the engine? Why such dull and drab ones? Can't Toyota do anything about it?
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:07   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I think the Etios Cross really nails the tough guy look in the exteriors and quite luxuriant look in the interiors. I think the vehicles looks DELICIOUS.

But the engine? Why such dull and drab ones? Can't Toyota do anything about it?
In this segment, Toyota engines are not dull and drab. The diesel ones are excellent and sporty for city rides. And the higher petrol version is just zoom...
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 16:41   #53
BHPian

Does look marginally sportier than the plain Etios Liva (not that that would have been difficult to achieve). But as a product it seems as pointless as the Zen Classic was.
Old 3rd July 2014, 17:24   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
In this segment, Toyota engines are not dull and drab. The diesel ones are excellent and sporty for city rides. And the higher petrol version is just zoom...
Yes, Etios Cross 1.4 Diesel is very drivable in city & not bad on highways. Quite good torque at low & mid range too & decent economy.

Etios 1.5 Petrol is a hot hatch engine, can rev it away from signals & to overtake on highways.. hills.

Etios Cross would be a great buy if priced about 75k lower than it is now - Toyota just got too greedy.
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:46   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Was in Bangalore last week and came across two Etios Cross's in quick succession! Frankly, I was damn impressed. This car looks no more dull and cheap unlike the Etios/Liva. The orange was cool while silver looked good too. Was quite surprised to see these two private registrations when the you hardly see the regular variants. My friend based in Bangalore also told that he sees more Cross variants regularly (compared to regular, private registrations).

Edit:: Between, this is supposed to be called the "Liva Cross" technically, right?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd August 2014 at 12:47.
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:03   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Was in Bangalore last week and came across two Etios Cross's in quick succession! Frankly, I was damn impressed. This car looks no more dull and cheap unlike the Etios/Liva. The orange was cool while silver looked good too. Was quite surprised to see these two private registrations when the you hardly see the regular variants. My friend based in Bangalore also told that he sees more Cross variants regularly (compared to regular, private registrations).

Edit:: Between, this is supposed to be called the "Liva Cross" technically, right?
Saw orange and white Etios cross in real time, me and my father are very much impressed with the appearance, certainly feels refresh from current Etios Liva. The orange one was diesel test drive vehicle and the only person in car was really abusing it a lot over pot holes and finally disappeared.

The other day my father was saying we would have bought Etios cross had it been available then

Technically it should have been named "Etios Liva Cross". My guess is that Toyota decided to skip the name Liva just to give it a different identity
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:14   #57
BHPian

It beats me why Toyota is wasting its time and money on patchy jobs to Etios twins which have already been dismissed by the market. They have passed their best days if you ask me. Equally amusing is the fact that they refuse to bring in Yaris and/or Vios which for me are way better looking than Etios.
Seems to me that the management board is in ignorance of the fact that we are no more the market to dump their junk !

Wake up Toyota before its too late.. RIP Etios
Old 7th September 2014, 11:07   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
Wake up Toyota before its too late.. RIP Etios
Exactly what I had in mind but a visit to the dealer proved me wrong. Seems the dealers are still having a waiting period of more than 3 months, even though Toyota seems to have increased manufacturing capacity from the initial estimates.

And most of the bookings are for the flashy ORANGE colour! Proves that mass market loves bling bling.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th September 2014 at 11:09.
Old 7th September 2014, 22:11   #59
gemi_kk

Saw a brand new Etios Cross, which was partially damaged on the front Bumper. Following are my observations.

The plastic quality used for these bumpers is Pathetic. In one word.
The plastic is not of the thick type. But, its rather of the swift type bumper with out Paint (A bit more thick than those of Swift)

Also, i see that the Bumper plastic will be faded if people park outside during summers.

Now i have come to the conclusion that Toyota is trying to fool the common man, with exterior rough looks. The So called Etios cross doesn't deserve to be launched.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios Cross: A Close Look-imag0083.jpg  

Toyota Etios Cross: A Close Look-imag0085.jpg  

(2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 09:16   #60
BHPian

Mixed opinions here.. Some like the new looks that the Cross offers and some (most?) hate the look. From the review, it seems like a cosmetic job. There are no mechanical changes? I ask because my dad is hell bent on buying this in Kerala and I'm not able to convince him otherwise. We own a 1 Lakh + run innova at home, so brand-wise ,he is smitten by the 'quality' . He wants the Cross, because it looks good. Also the sales has worked their magic on him claiming that the demand is too much. The sales figures of the Etios liva is at an average of 1800 units , which is worse than the Indica+Vista sales!

Personally I see it as wasting 8.5 Lakhs on a dressed-up Taxi. The smiley pretty much sums up my reaction on hearing his intentions!

I'm asking him to atleast check out the elite i20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks