Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2006, 11:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hey microhit, quite some points you have there, but I am not sure whether I understood your logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microhit
Indian market have not matured and I doubt it will anytime soon (unless indians change their breeding habits)
I do agree that we seriously need to control the population (a single-child norm a la China or something) for our country to be a better place. But then what does this have to do with the car market not maturing ?

Quote:
you can say all you want, but in the end I can argue that- Do you have road space in your state to drive?
If that were the criteria for new cars to be introduced, we should actually be staying in the old Padmini/Amby era. Infrastructure growth is happening, but not as fast as we would like it to be.

Quote:
Do you wear seatbelt? How many times do you change lanes without giving indicator? How many times do you stop and look right before merging left? How many times do you break the speed limit ? Do you respect pedestrians? Last - how many times do you use your horn? Do you deserve good cars after all this? NO.
Maybe not 100% of the time, but yes, I (and I am sure many others here) follow the rules most of the time. Again, I can't see the connection between a country's road manners and companies introducing better cars there ?

Quote:
Indian maybe the largest democracy - but less than 50% actually vote.
The 50% you mentioned is a country-wide average. Most states that have better literacy see turnouts of 70% and more. It is some of the backward states that drag the average down to 50% and then again it is more about the politicians keeping it that way for their gain. And BTW, the electoral system of the US (supposedly a developed country) threw up someone like Dubya when the verdict was something else. Atleast in India, we can count the votes correctly (EVMs or manually).

Quote:
India remains one of the poorest countries in the world and Indians get what they deserve.
I am sorry - you seem to have old figures. India figures in the top 10 rich countries as of now.
Old 17th July 2006, 12:10   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth
Is there any way we can make a Auto magazine to catch up on this thread, and makeit public???

...............and let them make money at our expense? They depend on us a lot!
Old 17th July 2006, 12:10   #33
BHPian

Yeah India is rich, with all the taxes being collected and no infrastructure being developed, best example is service tax, which I pay to the government for the service rendered by a private company(Automobile workshop) who invested their own money without any help from the govt, No sense at all
Old 17th July 2006, 13:12   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry guys, but a few points here, by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
But then what does this have to do with the car market not maturing ?
Not directly, but it will help things in a big way by changing a whole lot of other things. Today, it's like more resources are being brought in [irrespective of the cost] to meet the demands by the population. It should have been the other way round where population needs to be managed so the resources are not taxed. Sustainability.

Quote:
Again, I can't see the connection between a country's road manners and companies introducing better cars there ?
no, but population and road manners show atleast some connection

Quote:
Most states that have better literacy see turnouts of 70% and more.
But being literate doesnt seem to be related to being educated.

Quote:
And BTW, the electoral system of the US threw up someone like Dubya
But he's still depending on his team, for any decision he takes. Will be the same way for most presidents. And any change from Bush to Clinton to Bush to xyz will not really change the direction of a country's policies, does it ? Atleast they can recall elected rep's and also can vote on issues before the matter goes to the house to become a bill.

Last edited by condor : 17th July 2006 at 13:15.
Old 17th July 2006, 13:16   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth
Yeah India is rich, with all the taxes being collected and no infrastructure being developed,
This country is magic - watch all your tax money disappear .!!
Old 17th July 2006, 15:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
Not directly, but it will help things in a big way by changing a whole lot of other things. Today, it's like more resources are being brought in [irrespective of the cost] to meet the demands by the population. It should have been the other way round where population needs to be managed so the resources are not taxed. Sustainability.
You seem to have missed my point. My query was about the relation between population and car market ie. w.r.t. the car makers, not the govt.

Quote:
no, but population and road manners show atleast some connection
Agree. But that was not the point under debate.

Quote:
But being literate doesnt seem to be related to being educated.
And just being educated does not really help. If educated meant well behaved, we would not be discussing lack of road manners here.

Quote:
But he's still depending on his team, for any decision he takes.
Again, way off context. Discussion was about the fallacies of the electoral system, not on what an elected rep will do and how.
Old 17th July 2006, 16:46   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

SupremeBaleno, I myself have qualified my post with an OT icon .. if would like to discuss this more, lets take it up off-line.

the first point would need a Lot of detailing, but then more population will mean more fighting for what's avlbl. It's more abt quality of life .. Almost every aspect of life gets affected - The car market is just one of the things here.

Last edited by condor : 17th July 2006 at 16:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks