Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 16:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

April 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Management Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th May 2014 at 15:44.
parrys is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 16:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: April 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Last edited by Aditya : 8th May 2014 at 15:45.
parrys is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 16:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

parrys is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 16:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

parrys is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 17:05   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 17:35   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the thread guys.

As we were expecting but just look at the drop in amaze figures 54% drop. This will get Honda worried for sure

Xcent steals numbers from Amaze as well as Dzire to some extent. What will happen when Tata Zest/Bolt will launch?
Mr.Beat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 17:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

My little analysis

Chevy first :
With nothing new in the works, and people not interested in boring people movers, the brand is languishing. There seems to be nothing in the roadmap too

Datsun
Dismal performance for an entry level. But Nissan is down on all fronts. The dealership fiasco has a lot to do with this

Fiat
had an amazing March, and now we are back to also ran. Looks like they need to do more

Ford
Well Ecosport has settled down around 4000. Will Endy wrestle some of the glory back from fortuner? Next month will tell

HM Mitsubishi
Why does this company still exist

Honda
Amaze has been Xcented, showing brand strength of Honda is similar to Hyundai in this segment. City flag is flying high on the diesel, but will she sustain?

Hyundai
Just when you think, now they will go down- Wham. Xcent is a success, and even the Elantra rules its segment

Mahindra
Bolero takes a big hit, but considering its popularity in Rural markets, I expect sales in May when lot of cash comes in from Kharif crop harvest. Scorpio still goes 4X on the Storme. Looks like the small SUVs don't break this niche

Maruti
All hail the king.
800 sales were dropping, and Celerio comes in beating 800 sales. Alto + Celerio are a dream run. I shudder to think what will happen to entry level segment if Maruti makes a diesel Alto or something.
These guys can make anything sell in entry level. But SX4, is down, and in the high end, nobody touches Maruti. But they laugh all the way to the bank.

Nissan
Threads and Threads have shown us how not to run an Automobile business. Probably years from now, management schools will have a chapter on Nissan and its bungled Indian score

Renault
Duster holds steady, and is earning good profits, but hatch and sedan. Poof.
Its like "Duster Renault" instead of Renault Duster. There is no renault. There is only duster.

Skoda
A niche player again. Nobody wants a car with service charge of premium cars in the hatch space I guess

Tata
Storme loves the 700-900 space.
And Indica-Indigo fumble because when you know that the replacements are coming soon, why would you buy them.
Tata should have launched the Zest and Bolt around Xcent time and poached the sales big time and also stolen the limelight. But then a festive launch may give them an edge as nothing big is lined up from others during that time

Toyota
The fortuner company. I doubt Liva/Etios twins and that cross thingy is going to give much profit.
Fortuner magic will work, but you cannot sell 4000 cars for 25 lakhs. Toyota desperately needs an Innova companion SUV. That said, the Fortuner profit margins must be totally insane

VW
Where is your sub 15L SUV VW? Germans have a reputation of expensive repairs, something the entry level buyer is very scared off. Moreover Polo and Vento are now like very old vintage cars.

So what does it leave us?
Maruti and Hyundai are going to rule 2014, with Mahindra rising in the SUV space. The "me too SUV" fixation seems to be wearing off too so small SUVs will only eat hatch space, not big SUV space.
tsk1979 is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 17:44   #8
BHPian

Nice report as always Parrys.

Damn the auto industry takes another massive hit! The total sales are almost identical to Dec 13. Decembers are normally horrid months for all auto makers so something like this happening in the first month of a new quarter spells doom for a lot of the auto manufacturers.

Tata is down and out. Toyota went past them on the back of just the Innova and Fortuner.
Maruti goes down too. The Celerio looks like an interesting prospect though.
VW and Skoda seriously need to re-think their gameplan. The Octy sells as much as the Superb and the Polo-Vento are far below their normal sales figures.

Duster outsells the Terrano twice over. That's the only saving grace for Renault. But Nissan has Datsun now so I guess that should sail their boat for a while.
veedub89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 17:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

A pretty poor result for most of the companies-Hyundai and Datsun being exceptions.

Initial reaction:

1) Amaze slips in the 3XXX territory. City cannibalizes Amaze and then also gobbles up Verna whole. Great show for a close to 10 lac sedan.

2) WR, the perennial no. 4 is dislodged to no. 5 by the capable Grand i10.
Also, the Xcent seems another winner for the Korean behemoths.
It is a well stitched car with acceptable performance and superb fit and finish.
The Eon too notches up 6.5K and is going frm strength to strength.

The well priced offering was too mouth watering and Indian janta have welcomed it with both hands.

3) A not too pleasant picture for M&M. Other than Bolero and Scorpio, they do not have any consistent performers. XUV is nowhere close to its earlier promise.

All other soldiers are proven failures-Quanto, Verito, Vibe all need to RIP.

4) Only 94 Pulse dispatched. This was supposed to be Renault budget offer. Where does this disillusioned company go after the cash cow stops delivering(Duster). Ditto case with Nissan who seems to have lost the plot.

Not so, though with Datsun. 2.5K for an unknown brand is pretty impressive and is more than twice the nos. of all other Nissan/Renault hatches put together: deadhorse.

5) Toyota needs to wake up. Even the Fortuner is wavering and then they have sitting duds in Etios/Liva. What is the top brass thinking?

6) MS. Poor month by its lofty standards. Yet, they have a decent new product in Celerio and the upcoming Ciaz looks promising.

7) FIAT. Flat month and a huge loss in Linea if we compare MoM.

8) Ford. Bring the lineup and quick. Figo Sedan, New Fiesta.
All the lineup looks dated and unworthy now.

Losses will continue piling if decisions are not taken quickly.
arnabchak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 17:48   #10
BHPian

Thank you Parrys for this report.
It looks like Xcent has made the initial impact it was expected to make with more than 250% increase as compared to last month. Honda has got to do some worrying here. (Amaze numbers dropped to half as compared to last month).

I am not surprised to see i10 is not even in the top 20 selling cars. None to blame than the i10 Grand.

Maruti: Major models (Alto,Swift,Dzire,WagonR) show decrease in Sales as Celerio picks up on the charts.
skyrocket003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 17:56   #11
BHPian

As per news reports, M&M sold 18,148 vehicles in April 2014. Since M&M didn't provide Thar numbers, I think we can assume that the difference between the news report figure and those given to Team-BHP (17,330) will give us the figure for Thar. So 18148 - 17330 = 818 ~ Thars sold.

Last edited by jessie007 : 7th May 2014 at 18:26.
jessie007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 18:15   #12
BHPian

The most awaited! Thanks for sharing. My few paise;

Unable to predict what is happening at Suzuki. The trend is really confusing. Last month they were at their best month in this FY. The very next month the trend is dwindling. All models see a decline except Omni!

Honda continues the dream run! Honda city at what it does best. A truly worthy competitor for Verna. Customer is King!

Sad story at Fiat! Just when we started to think their perseverance has started to pay them back.

GM - We don't want Chinese! Take them back...

Tata - Bring them Bolt and Zest sooner. Better not to talk much about you!Wonder what's wrong with Sumo though. A super reliable product!

Overall all OEMs seem to bleed, except Honda and to some extent Hyundai, riding on the success of Grand i10 and Xcent.
rangarx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 18:37   #13
BHPian

Re: My little analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Mahindra
Bolero takes a big hit, but considering its popularity in Rural markets, I expect sales in May when lot of cash comes in from Kharif crop harvest.

1. Great how-to-use analysis of the sales figures!

2. Considering these sales figures,can the all new Bolero be expected sooner than later?

3. The crop harvest you talk about should be "Rabi" instead of "Kharif", don't you think?

4. Any reflections on the Xylo?

Regards!
onkar1710 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 19:18   #14
BHPian

What caught my eye was the Maruti omni, almost 5000 shipments. I am wondering how fat the profit margin should be on this 20+ year old platform.
veyron_head is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 19:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the Great Report.

The main thing to note is the drop in sales of the Dzire and the Amaze and the appearance of the Xcent with a rocking figure of 6,600+.

We would need to wait another month to see the trend to see if Amaze has lost the share to its big brother, the City or the rival Hyundai Xcent.

Given that Dzire has also come down by some numbers, it appears that Xcent has made in roads into both Dzire and Amaze. Well done Hyundai!

City continues the dream run and has not dropped below the 7000 mark since inception. And Honda has managed to deliver good number of them month on month
vsrivatsa is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks