Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2014, 13:59   #1
BHPian

PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained

Will Mahindra make its way to 7, Race course road?

Quote:
Anand Mahindra, chairman of the Mahindra Group, has expressed his desire that the bonding continues. "It will be a matter of pride for us and for the whole nation if our new PM continues to make the India-made Scorpio his vehicle of choice," Mahindra told TOI as the company looks to make the required security upgrades to Scorpio to meet the PM's security cover.

The company says that it would make suitable upgrades to the vehicle in line with the stringent requirements of the security apparatus mandated for the Prime Minister. "We would like to see him continue on a Scorpio. We need to have a dialogue with the SPG to understand the security apparatus and requirements," says Pawan Goenka, president of Mahindra & Mahindra's automotive division.

Modi's current fleet comprises a number of bullet-proof Scorpio vehicles, and these too carry an elaborate security apparatus in line with the threat perception and his high-profile status. "We are capable of upgrading the vehicle to whatever standards that may be sought, including having a more powerful engine on board as well as other security needs," Goenka says.
The TOI link - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/35401039.cms

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2014 at 14:48.
sudeep.pandya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 14:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained

Better would be if they offer a bullet proof XUV5OO AWD . It is structurally superior to scorpio and being a monocoque will offer better crash protection . Ride quality is better too !
sagarpadaki is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 14:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained

I personally won't like my PM to be travelling around in a Scorpio.

He deserves something much much more safer and luxurious. As head of state should continue with the BMWs and Lexus'.
DCEite is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 14:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

SPG decides the security, not PM. SPG already have a fleet customized BMWs. Very unlikely they will go for Scorpio. There is none in Mahindra stable that will provide comfort & security required for a state head.
msdivy is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 14:19   #5
BHPian

Sudeep - you beat me to create this thread

Personally, I see no reason why our new PM should not consider using a car from the M&M stable. Albeit, I would prefer the PM in the XUV instead of the Scorpio. M&M will be able to achieve all its marketing goals by this single move.

Although, this is a long shot, but should this happen, what becomes of the dozens of 7 series and X5's?
Old 21st May 2014, 14:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't think using BMW or Lexus is a mandate. I would love if our India PM uses Indian made car. XUV 500 will be a better choice IMO. I am sure, given chance, M&M can make something special for our PM which will meet all security requirements. If this happen, it will a moment of pride for Mahindra for sure
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 14:59   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Completely understandable if our PM moves to the more sophisticated, safer fleet of BMWs.

Personally, it would make me happier to see him using an Indian car. Rather than the cramped & bumpy Scorpio, a spacious & comfortable Safari Storme would be far more apt.

Beef it up with all the security hardware & gizmos...and then, throw in some of the Ladakh ed magic. Now, that's what you'd call arriving in style. You know a political leader has taste if his car wears a matte white finish

GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 15:21   #8
BANNED

V. P. Singh used a Tata Sierra when he was PM.
Live To Jive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 15:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Personally, it would make me happier to see him using an Indian car. Rather than the cramped & bumpy Scorpio, a spacious & comfortable Safari Storme would be far more apt.
Would have loved to see the Storme in the fleet but I think there are many parameters the SPG sets for the PM's car and among them-- a quick getaway from a tricky situation which would probably require the car to be quite powerful and agile.

Anyways the Safari finds its place as the pilot car with those fancy mobile device jamming apparatus all over it. A bit OT -- I think Sonia and Rahul extensively use a Safari
narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 15:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think the PM should use Indian made car whether Mahindra or Tata. After all, his US, China, South Korea, Japan, England heads of state all use home grown car brand. In fact the PM can use Jaguar since now its an Indian brand (though not home grown).
motomaverick is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 15:43   #11
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I personally won't like my PM to be travelling around in a Scorpio.

He deserves something much much more safer and luxurious. As head of state should continue with the BMWs and Lexus'.
I think Mahindra has the engineering to make the scorpio safe for the PM, but at the cost of efficiency. When you're the PM, why would you care for FE?

Quote:
Completely understandable if our PM moves to the more sophisticated, safer fleet of BMWs.

Agree with you on that. If he's hellbent on using an Indian car, he won't change brand.
Quote:
You know a political leader has taste if his car wears a matte white finish
I think it would look hot if he arrives in a jet black car with black tints. That will suit him better and be a differentiator among other politicians. Of course, you need a convoy of black cars too.
Old 21st May 2014, 15:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Better would be if they offer a bullet proof XUV5OO AWD . It is structurally superior to scorpio and being a monocoque will offer better crash protection . Ride quality is better too !
Even I believe an XUV5OO would be better to work on wrt safety. I wonder why Pawan Goenka is saying that they will beef up the Scorpio for them. May be they are more interested in endorse the brand Scorpio further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Although, this is a long shot, but should this happen, what becomes of the dozens of 7 series and X5's?
The Germans will become his weekend runs

Quote:

Beef it up with all the security hardware & gizmos...and then, throw in some of the Ladakh ed magic. Now, that's what you'd call arriving in style. You know a political leader has taste if his car wears a matte white finish
Completely agree but I don't see TATA's making that extra effort. A PM in a SUV definitely packs punch! This would certainly go with his image.

A 'Made in India' SUV for a 'Made in India' govt after a long time.

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2014 at 16:50. Reason: Removing off-topic bits
sudeep.pandya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 16:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well PM being an important public and political figure so his security and style are of immense importance. I feel the Scorpio and Safari have lived their life in the political arena of India. It's time for something extra-ordinary.

Therefore my vote goes for a bullet proof Range Rover. It actually will be a trend setter and as far as I know our new PM has a keen eye for style.

PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained-rangeroverlatestimages9.jpg

pic credit: http://etcwallpaper.com/

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 16:08   #14
BHPian

Just like our President, I would like our PM to use a custom built Mercedes Benz S600 Pullman Guard. Nothing can be more elegant and classier. Since we don't have any homegrown luxury brands there is nothing wrong in using a foreign brand. Many heads of state do so. Here is a link on this topic on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_state_car
microaubin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 16:08   #15
BHPian

I think our home grown manufacturers are capable enough to customize a vehicle for the the PM s security needs.

I wish they'd get an opportunity to manufacture and maintain the 'sarkari' fleet. From xxxxl sized limousines for visiting dignitaries to suvs for the cavalcade.

There's no reason tata with their JLR assets can't come up with something upto European standards. Or the Mahindras with suitable SUVs

Most Viewed