Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2014, 20:34   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
Will Mahindra make its way to 7, Race course road?
You have to admire Anand Mahindra's savvy for spotting a Marketing opportunity. This was featured prominently in today's ToI- am sure a lot of potential Mahindra buyers saw it

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
SPG decides the security, not PM. SPG already have a fleet customized BMWs. Very unlikely they will go for Scorpio.
I would personally be very proud if the PM used a car that was 100% Indian, if only to make a statement. On a lighter note, I hope those BMWs of his are not running runflats!
noopster is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 20:39   #32
Team-BHP Support

re: PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained

For those interested, some of the safety features of the bullet proof 7 series

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/general/co...fety_advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
On a lighter note, I hope those BMWs of his are not running runflats!
Unfortunately, they are! We haven't heard outgoing PMs complaining about bad back though.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 20:56   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
On a similar note, the new Telengana CM has got himself two bulletproofed Prados at 4 Crores and a convoy of black T-Forts.

Attachment 1242939
Attachment 1242940

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle6023645.ece
Previous Andhra Pradesh CM has bought those 2 in October 2013, now after the elections results those 2 divided as 1 each for Telangana CM and Andhra Pradesh CM.
IndianNomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 22:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

With due regards to our newly elected Prime Minister;

Hope the head of the Government uses the already existing state-of-the-art infrastructure; any additional expenses incurred will be only at the burden of the tax payers.
ramzsys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 22:03   #35
BHPian

Personally I like to see an Indian vehicle serving Prime Minister. But will the same vehicle may be serving the VIP guests as well? In that case it will be better to go for the existing BMW fleet.
Old 21st May 2014, 23:02   #36
BHPian

I would prefer DC to have a go on an AMBY with an extended wheelbase and the works or if we think out of the box an customized ARIA wouldn't be a bad choice.
autohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 00:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Please not a scorpio, the world is watching.

A Range Rover long wheelbase will be apt.
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 04:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Love the Scorpios in his convoy. Guess he stayed away from the XUV after reading this thread. Had to tweet that to Anand mahindra too .

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...solutions.html

My vote would be for a Indian brand or stick to the existing BMW's. Safari and scorpio mix would do well for our automakers.

Am sure Bhpians would agree with me if i asked for the Merc G wagon 6*6 in the convoy. Can get away anywhere.

Maddy
Old 22nd May 2014, 05:22   #39
BANNED

Mahindra carrying out it's R&D with the life of the prime minister??? Let's not exhibit our misplaced "patriotism" using the PM as a guinea pig!!

BMW and Merc have been making high security cars for ages and not as a one-off R&D experiment using the PM as bait!!!

How many of us, if we were given access to unlimited resources to buy and maintain a car would choose a Mahindra over a BMW ?

Come on guys, lets exhibit our sudden and unusual "patriotism" for things Indian in some other area.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 22nd May 2014 at 05:30.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 08:19   #40
BHPian

Personally, I think the new PM should stick with the current BMWs. Buying new armoured cars would be unnecessary expenditure to the exchequer.

Even if he were to get new cars, he should get executive sedans. True, SUVs (Range Rover, etc.) give out a muscular image, but that is not what a statesman should project. If we look closely we can note that elected heads of state of all civilized and developed nations opt only for sedans, usually an armoured S-class.

Only in war-torn/ underdeveloped countries do prime ministers (often former warlords) get driven around in Range Rovers and Land Cruisers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_state_car

On a lighter note, here is a pic of the Dutch PM Mark Rutte cycling to work.

PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained-rutte_2200729b.jpg

I truly hope, someday, India will be a place safe enough for the Indian PM to do the same.
one-77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:32   #41
BHPian

Alternatively they can order the bullet proof kit for Scorpio on Snapdeal http://www.snapdeal.com/product/mahi...hicle/65710327
dj78 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:32   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
A Range Rover long wheelbase will be apt.
Apt choice, considering that it is now owned by an Indian conglomerate.
Quote:
On a lighter note, here is a pic of the Dutch PM Mark Rutte cycling to work.
Indian PM is essentially work from home. He can walk from from his house to his office. These armored vehicles are not that frequently used. But can't say about Modi, he might travel more.
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:44   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Sensitivities aside, our PM is taking over at a time when the economy is in a difficult situation, there must be other far more important things on his to-do list than choosing a car for his convoy.

Like so many members have already commented, what's wrong with using the existing PM fleet? The Scorpio that he currently uses, is that his personal vehicle or a GJ govt vehicle? If latter, shouldn't it go to the next CM of GJ?

Agree with noopster though, gotta give it to AM for spotting a tremendous marketing opportunity!
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Personally, I think the new PM should stick with the current BMWs. Buying new armoured cars would be unnecessary expenditure to the exchequer.
Current fleet is 5 years old and would likely be replaced with newer BMWs even if SPG/PM decides to stick with BMW. So the cost savings is highly unlikely. Choosing a Mahindra/Tata instead of a foreign luxury marque is also not going to save much for the exchequer since the cost to get it to the security levels mandated by SPG would be the bigger chunk when compared to the base cost of the vehicle.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:12   #45
BHPian

If I were to suggest a fleet for our dearest PM NaMo, I would opt for a Toyota LandCruiser Prado. Toyota stands out to be a standard for Quality, Durability and Reliability and I wish NaMo's fleet may never let him down from doing what he wants to do.
Attached Thumbnails
PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained-landcruiser.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks