Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:39   #61
BHPian

re: PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained

If the Bullet Proof Scorpio is as good as the BMW, then no doubt the Scorpio. Also, the last PMs long association with the BMW has infused tremendous credibility about the BMWs capability in India. However, being an ingenious product from the Mahindra Stable, the scorpio should get its due if it is able to match upto the international standards.
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:50   #62
BHPian

re: PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained

Little on a tanget but not off the thread! What if AAP had come into power? I think SPG is saved of downgrading and remodeling its fleet to WagonRs.
TMRT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 18:25   #63
BHPian

PM should ride in whatever is the safest and in the one that lends itself to the highest set of safety features. This is a no compromise area and should not be seen as making statements on behalf of private companies or display patriotism. There are other better ways to do it, and our new PM is fully capable of the doing the same through different and more effective means (patriotism, not promoting private companies).

Last edited by bsdbsd : 22nd May 2014 at 18:28. Reason: brought in clarity
bsdbsd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 18:38   #64
BHPian

one of those 6WD AMG mercedes hammond tested on TG
Old 22nd May 2014, 21:38   #65
BHPian

I think Scorpio can be avoided.The car is too old and common. Mahindra may be confident that they can fulfill the required safety standards, but I think they can do it with a more up-market car from their portfolio like XUV or Rexton. Surely our PM deserves much more than a Scorpio.

I am not sure whether Mahindra has proven its capabilities before by building vehicles with International-safety standards. Is Mahindra supplying such vehicles to any other country to be used by their Head -of-the-State?

When there are established global products available in this category, why should we stick on to Mahindra? I think there is no need to be too patriotic or emotional in this matter, because our PM's safety is more important than that. If patriotism is mandatory, then Jaguar /Range Rover is the option to go for.

P.S : Those who have suggested Tata/ Mahindra for our PM would themselves be owning Hyundais, Suzukis, Toyotas, Renaults or Fords.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 21:45   #66
BHPian

Indian assembled XJ should be perfect bet! Customized with all the security requirements!
Old 22nd May 2014, 22:42   #67
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
I think Scorpio can be avoided.The car is too old and common. Mahindra may be confident that they can fulfill the required safety standards, but I think they can do it with a more up-market car from their portfolio like XUV or Rexton. Surely our PM deserves much more than a Scorpio.
If you are planning to build a Bullet proof and Mine proof vehicle, it has to be a Body on Ladder frame. Not a Monocoque vehicle. I still believe that Scorpio is the right fit than XUV.

And there is nothing wrong in using a Scoripio. Still many top government officials commute in Amby's. Scorpio is much better when compared to a 2 decade old Amby's. And it would fetch some good will to the new PM too, if he commutes in a common/normal car rather than going for an expensive foreign car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Indian assembled XJ should be perfect bet! Customized with all the security requirements!
These Xj's are not that reliable in the real world. In a convoy, the one thing that you cannot compromise is reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bread View Post
one of those 6WD AMG mercedes hammond tested on TG
It is a pick-up truck. It gives a FE of 3-4 An additional state budget should be allocated for these vehicles Fuel & maintainence, if he opts for them. And Ambani's will be more richer

Old 23rd May 2014, 19:47   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I think the Safari carries the jammer equipment.

Here is PM's fleet - two 7 series & six X3 BMWs, one Safari, one MB ambulance.
Attachment 1243213
Considering it's an all-German fleet, should't there be a Tow Truck tagging along as well?
Desi Dybuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 19:53   #69
Senior - BHPian

Whatever the choice of car is - I sincerely hope the PM (and all other leaders) starts wearing seat belts when seated in the front.
normally_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 21:26   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
These Xj's are not that reliable in the real world. In a convoy, the one thing that you cannot compromise is reliability.
Please don't type things you know nothing about.

Firstly, all armoured cars are made with very very careful attention to detail and maintained with silk gloves.

Secondly, JLR has a long and reputed history with building armoured vehicles whether its for Royalty or heads of state. David Cameron presently uses a XJ Sentinel, don't think his security detail will be happy with him travelling in a 'These Xj's are not that reliable in the real world'. The Scorpio/XUV/Armada is not comparable to this in any which way.

shortbread is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 23:37   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raulspace999 View Post
If the Bullet Proof Scorpio is as good as the BMW, then no doubt the Scorpio. Also, the last PMs long association with the BMW has infused tremendous credibility about the BMWs capability in India. However, being an ingenious product from the Mahindra Stable, the scorpio should get its due if it is able to match upto the international standards.
Dr. Manmohan Singh wasn't in the least interested in the BMW's. He was perfectly content with the white Ambassador. 'They' forced him into use of the BMW's, which I have to point out, were an extravagance of the Vajpayee government. If I am not wrong he still owns the Maruti 800 he acquired in the eighties.

White armoured Ambassadors for Modi &co, I say, what a long heritage association with POWER and PRECEDENCE!! And armoured Safari Stormes for the security detail.

No large cavalcades, though, please. Travel quietly (if possible, secretly) , simply and compactly. It is safest and easiest that way.
Old 23rd May 2014, 23:52   #72
BHPian

Does he really have a choice? One of my relatives used to work in VIP security detail in the late 90s and told me once that the PM is directed by his personal security officer on which car to board and SPG determine if its safe to disembark and only they open the door. Its almost like a golden cage...
Old 24th May 2014, 00:08   #73
BHPian

security for a world leader has dimensions us common folks cant even imagine. lets keep this humorous.suggesting cars and responding based on knowledge of their road legal counterparts is simply amusing.
keep it humorous guys.
bread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 00:36   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Whatever the choice of car is - I sincerely hope the PM (and all other leaders) starts wearing seat belts when seated in the front.
Very well said. Setting a good example about a safe driving measure is the foremost requirement before it's implemented over here in India. If driving discipline is routed via requisite channels then I don't think anyone would think of breaking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Please don't type things you know nothing about.
Calm down dear. We over here are giving suggestions on the car for the head of the biggest 'democracy'. Being true to the term I feel everyone here can share their views on the topic.

To like or dislike are the 2 sides of the same coin.

Quote:
Firstly, all armoured cars are made with very very careful attention to detail and maintained with silk gloves.
After seeing the video I was stunned. This car turned out to be a tank. Really impressed with the safety parameters that are followed while making such a car.

Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 04:30   #75
BHPian

Please check the below link published in Times of India...

Thought only Bhpians are speculating about what vehicle Modi uses.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/35530143.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks