Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2014, 06:24   #76

re: PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained

I feel that if an Indian car manufacturer can match the security and other requirements being fulfilled by BMW then definitely PM can use an India made vehicle. Scorpio no doubt will be a good choice if Mahindra is able to modify it according to the requirements of SPG. But I feel Tata Safari can too be a good choice as it is too a tried and tested vehicle and also spacious than Scorpio.

Thank you
Praveer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 07:28   #77
BHPian

Let an Indian company comeup with a car like BMW or Merc and then our PM can use it but definitely not bumpy and unstable Scorpio for the PM.
Old 24th May 2014, 10:09   #78
PPS
Senior - BHPian

re: PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained

As per the below TOI report & from what an ex-SPG officer has said, the ultimate choice is of the Prime Minister!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/35530143.cms
Old 24th May 2014, 10:56   #79
Senior - BHPian

When was this fleet of BMW's replaced. It was actually acquired during the last days of PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee. If it was (I guess it was) replaced sometime during the tenure of PM Manmohan singh , then the fleet still has more usable life otherwise it is just over 10 Yrs old.
Even if new vehicles are opted for they will take time to be made, and the current PM can use the existing fleet for some more time. If he opts for an Indian vehicle from Mahindra or maybe TATA making such vehicles and testing them before putting them into operation will take even longer. So expecting a change immediately after swearing in is not viable.

Rahul
Old 24th May 2014, 12:39   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Whatever the choice of car is - I sincerely hope the PM (and all other leaders) starts wearing seat belts when seated in the front.
I am yet to see a government official, head of press etc wearing seat belts.

On one hand, government is enforcing safety laws and on the other hand, they themselves don't seem to wear any seat belt. Be it the DM or SP or the Mayor...infact anybody, holding a post. And yes, most celebs in India don't seem to wear belts as well.
Old 24th May 2014, 12:49   #81
Senior - BHPian

If I was PM(: D), I would ditch the Scorpio as well as the BMW.

Jaguar XJL.
Technically Indian and It's a JAAAAAAAG.
Old 24th May 2014, 13:40   #82
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Please don't type things you know nothing about.

JLR has a long and reputed history with building armoured vehicles whether its for Royalty or heads of state. David Cameron presently uses a XJ Sentinel, don't think his security detail will be happy with him travelling in a 'These Xj's are not that reliable in the real world'.
But still, most of the world use the german makes for these requirements. I don't think, their security will be happy with anything else.

Run through jaguar history, That should give you a very good intro to their reliability. *Excluding Some models*. I know this shouldn't be exactly compared with Bullet proof vehicles. But i would prefer something else.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 24th May 2014 at 13:45.

Old 24th May 2014, 13:52   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, PM should use the existing fleet for two purposes. One is that if he decides to get another vehicle, that will mean that the existing fleet would be rendered useless and that means a lot of money going down the drain. Also, the existing fleet is much more luxurious and safe.

A quote from news item: (link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/35530143.cms)
Quote:
The vehicle, which is able to secure the occupants from landmine blasts to Kalashnikov's bullets, is likely to be Modi's official vehicle if he does not decide otherwise. This saloon can run for kilometers even on flat tyres and are fitted with advance heat sensors to ward off missiles and bombs as well, say sources.

While the fuel tanks are made such that they don't explode during an attack, its cabin also turns into a gas-proof chamber and ensures oxygen supply to secure the occupant in cases of gas attacks, a source familiar with the vehicle said.
Employment of all these features or developing a new vehicle with these features will cost a lot of money again and will take good time and finally, will borrow technology from abroad (which beats the entire purpose of using a home made vehicle) since all this tech is not available locally.

Also, with the increased threat perception of the new PM (esp. compared to the outgoing PM), I think that he should use existing fleet, rather than trying (and developing) anything new - for all the above reasons.

Last edited by saket77 : 24th May 2014 at 13:55.
Old 24th May 2014, 14:15   #84
BHPian

Valid point saket77, a new fleet would be a huge cost when they already have an existing fleet.

Plus the 7 Series comes with B6/B7 Armor protection levels which are currently the highest possible protection levels. I think that is pretty good enough for any perceived threat.

My preference however for the PM would be the armored Range Rover long wheelbase :-

PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained-images.jpg

Have seen the standard wheelbase armored ones being used for the royal family's in the gulf and it is truly a sight to behold.

Last edited by funkydevil : 24th May 2014 at 14:22.
funkydevil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 17:46   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Having seen and known some important politicians from close quarters, I would say that they are a different class.

There were all the other PM's who stuck to the Ambassador till the turn of the century. Mrs Gandhi had an American car (do not know if it was an Impala or not?). After her defeat in the 1977 elections, she switched over to her private, white Ambassador Mark 3 (DHE 4477). Even later on, when she bounced back in 1980, it was the official white Ambassador and more white Ambassadors for our PM's.When Shri Rajiv Gandhi was told about the security threats, he insisted upon using the Ambassador as it identified him with the masses. The Ambassador had to be armour plated and fitted with bullet proof glasses. HM had to shop for a powerful engine and thus came the ISZ 1800, to withstand the added weight due to armour plating and the thick bullet proof glasses.He also used his personal Jeep CJ 7, sitting on the driver's seat and traversing through the countryside, mingling with the masses, despite the impending security threats.

The fleet of BMW 7 Series and X 5's that were bought during Shri Atal Behari Vajpayee's Prime Ministership were customised on the instructions of his security deptt.

Shri A.B. Vajpayee and later Dr Manmohan Singh accepted these for their own safety and well being.

Now we have seen Shri Narendra Modi using Scorpios since about a decade or so. Shri Modi is seen on Scorpios with the same Mist Silver shade at Delhi and also at Ahmedabad. In all likelihood, to give a Swadeshi image and stick to an Indian made product, in all likelihood, Shri Narendra Modi may soon discard the BMW's and switch over to a new fleet of customised Scorpios fitted with more gizmos. In fact, this is why the top honcho of M & M is talking about beefing up the Scorpio with all the security demands, since he might have been sent feelers from the would be PM's men.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th May 2014 at 17:55.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 19:15   #86
Senior - BHPian

My choice of vehicle for Mr. Modi would be a MB G Wagon AMG.

On the other hand he could continue with the current vehicles which form the PM's cavalcade.
Old 25th May 2014, 10:07   #87
BHPian

PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400992614.537558.jpg

Article is todays HT. Let's see what SPG says.
Old 25th May 2014, 11:30   #88
E63
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 26th May 2014 at 14:33.
E63 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th May 2014, 18:28   #89
BHPian

fI think that a Jag or a stretch Range Rover would be a suitable car for the PM. They are made by an Indian owned company after all..
Old 26th May 2014, 22:22   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

The most rational and practical thing to do is use the existing fleet until either Tata or Mahindra come up with a worthy state car, which they are quite capable of doing. Tata may take tech from JLR and Mahindra may use Syangyong Chairman as base, but they should come up with an Indian state car, atleast for the parades.

And please , no Jaguar/Range Rover. They maybe brilliant and technically Indian owned, but they reek of Britishness and i prefer staid German or even Lexus than British for PM use.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks