Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2018, 13:48   #121
BHPian

Re: PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
Just saw yesterday that the PM's fleet now includes a couple of Range Rover sentinels
I noticed that all the ASEAN guests were driven away in a Mercedes led by a silver Toyota Innova Crysta. I was thinking that a black Tata Hexa would have been a better choice than a silver Crysta - better looking and a boost to an Indian brand.

Also the Range Rovers had a Delhi number plate whereas the other cars had the elite Ashoka symbol plates (no numbers).
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 14:11   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
I noticed that all the ASEAN guests were driven away in a Mercedes led by a silver Toyota Innova Crysta. I was thinking that a black Tata Hexa would have been a better choice than a silver Crysta - better looking and a boost to an Indian brand.

Also the Range Rovers had a Delhi number plate whereas the other cars had the elite Ashoka symbol plates (no numbers).
Yep, the Innovas especially in that shade amongst a sea of black cars felt almost unofficial. Like a taxi taken for rent.

Regarding the Ashoka emblem, only the Presidents cars can have those. The PM's car uses civilian plates.

Also wonder why half of the guests were using w220s?

Where did all the W221s go?

Also while half of the guests and the First lady came in w222s, the President came in a w221 Guard
Old 27th January 2018, 15:49   #123
Senior - BHPian

Having lived in the NCR for the past twenty years, every sight of a Safari with SPG commandos made me feel proud.

Equally proud I was, when a couple of years back, I saw the then Gujarat CM Modi's motorcade of white Scorpios at the Delhi airport.

The world's most powerful sedans and SUVs are at our security agencies' disposal and they do have valid reasons to choose these vehicles. Their level of expertise can not be match. When safety is paramount, no one will take a chance.

I guess one of the reasons for sticking with the BMWs is the costs involved. Media and other parties will be after Modi's head when they will read how Modi ditched perfectly functioning cars and spent money on new cars. For many, it will be an unnecessary expense.

But, there is a reason why the President of United States rides in a Cadillac and not an S Class. It's symbolic.

Earlier in this thread, I read Pawan Goenka going to the extent of offering any upgradation to make Modi keep the Scorpios. He knew what he will be losing.

If I was someone important at Tata Motors, I would have offered free Hexas, Stormes with all the modifications, even if it had costed me crores. Heck even if I had to fit a Hexa shell on to a Land Rover chassis, I would have done it, just to make sure the PM of India rides in an Indian brand.

In my opinion, it holds an immense brand value. Something that an ad campaign can not provide.

Last edited by ashutoshb : 27th January 2018 at 15:50.
ashutoshb is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 18:54   #124
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Also notice last year all the SPG vehicles where BMW X5 and PM's car a BMW 7 series but now it has been replaced with Toyota Fortuner and the PM's car by a Range Rover and our PM still sits in the front seat.

Last edited by aim120 : 27th January 2018 at 18:59.
Old 27th January 2018, 19:27   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

A Maybach S600 + GLE63 Guards perhaps? My speculation!
S600 Maybach is a high probability. But an AMG has a slim chance.

Ideally a CKD Range Rover LWB armoured would be a good option as JLR is owned by an India company and if it’s CKD it would also be made in india.
Old 28th May 2018, 20:20   #126
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Prime Minister Modi in a Land Cruiser this time!

Source: Narendra Modi

PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained-demowc4xuaatx0upm.jpg

PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained-demowc1xcaaqtq2.jpg

PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained-demoapfwsaa3eq6.jpg
PPS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 23:25   #127
Team-BHP Support

Land Cruiser is registered to the SPG

The Range Rover is registered to the Security and Intelligence services
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 16:28   #128
BHPian

Hope I am posting this in the right thread. Could this be a Jammer vehicle from the pm fleet? At first glance, I thought it was one of those Google View Cars. Very dark glass, being driven sedately and wearing a private DL registration which I have blanked out.

PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained-5d168f6504994b3f93798e23c1281ebc.jpg

PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained-a186c6c5b83e442496b3c7edbb1a3945.jpg
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 18:04   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup!

See a similar Safari from a YouTube screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
PM's Official Ride: Bullet-proof Scorpio or an import? EDIT : BMW fleet retained-screenshot_20190413180328.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 18:58   #130
Senior - BHPian

Dont know much about Prime Minister's fleet. But got a chance recently to check out some of the vehicles in the fleet of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister. Surprisingly, there were 5-7 Safari Storme's, all looking exactly same. Even the number plate was identical. A quick check on the Transport app revealed that number was actually registered to a Govt. Of AP Hindustan Ambassador years ago!
Old 6th April 2020, 14:34   #131
PPS
Senior - BHPian

From youtube.

PPS is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks