Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2014, 04:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jaguar launches locally manufactured XJ @ 92.1 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post

Tata's are renowned for making the Value for money products. This has paid them big rewards in the past. And now, they seem to be moving in the wrong way. Being exclusive like Bugati/Maybach takes you through a ride of losses.
I don't think tata acquired jaguar to sell the cars cheap. Its a marquee brand with a lot of brand value. By your logic if tata bought Ferrari they should be selling 40 lakkh supercars. That is not how it works.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 08:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Awesome! I would love to see a lot more XJs on road. Its got great presence.

You should catch the XJ on the rear view mirror on road. Anyone will automatically give way.
Old 24th May 2014, 10:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Tata's are renowned for making the Value for money products. This has paid them big rewards in the past. And now, they seem to be moving in the wrong way.
You don't buy a luxury marque like JLR to make cheap cars! I'm sorry, but the thinking is way off.
Quote:
Price it at 10/12 Lakh over A4 and see the number of customers rushing. Obviously the volume would be more than double than what they probably would get now. Any ways, they need to run service centres to provide so called service. So why not make more customers, which adds more value in the long run. Being exclusive like Bugati/Maybach takes you through a ride of losses.
Why would they price it to compete with the A4? It is positioned levels up with the beemer 7 series et al. They may make more customers, just as Rolex would do if they price their watches close to what it costs them to make it. After sometime, the brand would lose value, just to become another brand. Higher pricing > exclusivity > target customer base. Now what do they offer for this high pricing is immaterial as long as the target audience pays up. Simple as that.
wantarangerover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 13:14   #19
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I don't think tata acquired jaguar to sell the cars cheap. Its a marquee brand with a lot of brand value. By your logic if tata bought Ferrari they should be selling 40 lakkh supercars. That is not how it works.
Lot of brand value? Tata bought JLR for 2.3 Billion, when the economical car maker Toyota is reporting 20+ Billion $$$ profit. Agree that there is some brand value, but so much to sell it at X pricing in one country and at 2X price in other.
http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/840757.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
You don't buy a luxury marque like JLR to make cheap cars! I'm sorry, but the thinking is way off.
A4 Cost + 10-12 Lakh or may be 15Lakh is that so cheap? Please note that, i am asking to sell at a price, for which they are already selling in Developed countries. What i am asking is to sell it at the same cost or a bit more in their home country where the average income is less. I think your thinking is way off to pay 2X price for something which costs only X in other countries.

I want the brand JLR to be a luxury marque. I want them to sell it at the accepted price levels. Not at a 2X premium.

Quote:
Why would they price it to compete with the A4? It is positioned levels up with the beemer 7 series et al. They may make more customers, just as Rolex would do if they price their watches close to what it costs them to make it.
I am not at all supporting beemers pricing in india. So your comparison with Beemer 7 series is ruled out. Even the expensive germans should cut their pricing to what they sell in other countries.

The jaguars are renowned to have worst resale values, why? Just because the owners wants to get rid of them. Just google results. This needs to be corrected immediately to add more brand value. Are they working on it?

XJ sells in UK at around 60K pounds. What all i am asking is Launch it at a similar price point. Which is again in sync with what i said "A4 top end + 10-15 Lakh".

Quote:
Now what do they offer for this high pricing is immaterial as long as the target audience pays up. Simple as that.
Act when the ball is in your hands. Act well when you are considered Exclusive. What would you do, if the germans start providing outstanding service starting from tomorrow and correct their pricing a bit? You will be smoked out before you were born.

Merc, BMW & Audi are the top 3 in this segment. You need to steal a pie from them. Do you wanna take a bigger piece or a small one? My way would be "Take a big piece. Satisfy the customers with proper service. Work hard & Move top the ladder". just the act Ensure your brand retains the top spot in future.
With their current kind of pricing, They would be forced to take the maybach way down the line.

And last but not the least. Get that F-type now.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 24th May 2014 at 13:23.

Old 24th May 2014, 17:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:

A4 Cost + 10-12 Lakh or may be 15Lakh is that so cheap?

Please note that, i am asking to sell at a price, for which they are already selling in Developed countries. What i am asking is to sell it at the same cost or a bit more in their home country where the average income is less. I think your thinking is way off to pay 2X price for something which costs only X in other countries.

XJ sells in UK at around 60K pounds. What all i am asking is Launch it at a similar price point. Which is again in sync with what i said "A4 top end + 10-15 Lakh".

The base model Jaguar XJ you get in India is the 3.0L Diesel Premium Luxury. In the UK, you pay around GBP 65,000 for that variant. In the UK, a 3.0L Diesel Audi A4 S Line sells at 40,000 GBP. The XJ Premium Luxury thus is 66% more expensive than an Audi A4 in the UK.

In India, the same A4 goes at 55 Lacs, the XJ L Premium Luxury goes at 94 Lacs. So the pricing mark- up is almost even.

The XJ L has a 3,157 mm wheelbase in a 5,252 mm overall length, versus 2,808 mm and 4,701 mm for the Audi A4.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but why would Jaguar sell their A8 category car at A4 prices? I still do not understand your point.
Old 24th May 2014, 18:26   #21
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
The base model Jaguar XJ you get in India is the 3.0L Diesel Premium Luxury. In the UK, you pay around GBP 65,000 for that variant. In the UK, a 3.0L Diesel Audi A4 S Line sells at 40,000 GBP. The XJ Premium Luxury thus is 66% more expensive than an Audi A4 in the UK.

In India, the same A4 goes at 55 Lacs, the XJ L Premium Luxury goes at 94 Lacs. So the pricing mark- up is almost even.

The XJ L has a 3,157 mm wheelbase in a 5,252 mm overall length, versus 2,808 mm and 4,701 mm for the Audi A4.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but why would Jaguar sell their A8 category car at A4 prices? I still do not understand your point.
In order to get my point. Just compare UK car price vs Indian Car price. Ex showroom. Do not compare with overpriced German cars.
Sell at the price, at which you are selling elsewhere.

Old 24th May 2014, 18:42   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaguar launches locally manufactured XJ @ 92.1 lakhs

Quote:
In order to get my point. Just compare UK car price vs Indian Car price. Ex showroom. Do not compare with overpriced German cars.

You have been going around in circles here. It's simple math - the manufacturer will aim to get a similar margin on sales in different markets. Given the need to invest in local assembly to benefit from lower CKD duties, the margin will need to be on top of a higher fixed cost - and hence even if all taxes were equal, the price in India would be higher. Plus you have import duty on CKD kits, 25-30% excise duty, and 12.5% state VAT before you get to the ex showroom price. There is no way it can be the same as that in the UK.

EDIT: Just did a bit of quick googling. In the UK, VAT on cars is 20%. So the ex show room price would be 120% of the zero tax equivalent price.

In India, even if the engines and gearboxes are locally assembled, customs is 10%. So even if the manufacturer swallows the extra fixed cost on local assembly, the price would be 1.1*1.24*1.125 = 153.5% of the zero tax cost. That implies a price in India that is at least 28% more than the price in the UK. So they would need to get to Rs. 82 lakhs for a car that sells for GBP 65 k or INR 65 lakhs in the UK.

If they are importing engines and paying 30% duty, the price would have to be 181% of the zero tax price or 50% more than the price in the UK. So you would get to Rs. 97 lakhs ex show room.

In short, JLR is probably not recovering the extra fixed costs of CKD assembly given where the XJL has been priced.

Last edited by Hayek : 24th May 2014 at 18:55.
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 19:02   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Why? You should sell at the price you can get the business. I still don't get what you are on about. If you think its too expensive, don't buy it. Get something different.
Old 26th July 2014, 11:24   #24
BHPian

With a reduction in price, looks like there are improvements on the equipment levels. Fully adjustable rear seats with heating, cooling and a massage functions, dual sunroofs, satellite navigation, rear seat entertainment screens and Meridian audio systems are now standard on both versions.

Quote:
But for the Rs 6.5 lakh over the Premium Luxury model, the Portfolio does get a more powerful sound system (825W versus 380W), larger screens in the back (10.2-inch versus 8-inch), cornering headlamps and larger, 19-inch wheels. The Portfolio also features new fold-out tray tables for rear seat passengers that are large and sturdy enough to hold a laptop.
Source : http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-389480,0.aspx
Old 26th July 2014, 13:58   #25
Team-BHP Support

on a different note

Jaguar to cut prices on three models in response to China's auto probe

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/0...0FU1MD20140725
Old 16th September 2014, 18:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Locally manufactured petrol Jaguar XJ now at Rs.93.24 lakhs

Jaguar has launched a locally manufactured petrol powered version of its flagship saloon - XJ, priced at Rs.93.24 lakhs (ex-showroom Mumbai, pre-octroi).

The car will be powered by an i4 2.0 litre turbocharged petrol producing 237 bhp @ 5500 RPM and maximum torque of 340 Nm @ 1750 RPM; mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission. For those curious about the mileage, this car manages to return an ARAI certified figure of 9.4 km/l.

This model will be available in the LWB Portfolio trim. As expected out of a car of this class, the XJ comes loaded with features such as electrically adjustable rear seats with massage function in three intensity settings, increased rear headroom, rear seat entertainment with two 25.9 cm (10.2) LCD screens, electric rear side window blinds, soft door close, 825 Watt Meridian surround audio system, LED reading lights in the rear and newly designed business tables in the rear.

Link to news article
Old 16th September 2014, 18:19   #27
BHPian

^^ What are the existing (except this one) engine line-ups (both petrol & diesel) available with this car in india? Is there any other petrol model aswell?
Old 16th September 2014, 19:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Locally manufactured petrol Jaguar XJ now at Rs.93.24 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Jaguar has launched a locally manufactured petrol powered version of its flagship saloon - XJ, priced at Rs.93.24 lakhs (ex-showroom Mumbai, pre-octroi).

The car will be powered by an i4 2.0 litre turbocharged petrol producing 237 bhp @ 5500 RPM and maximum torque of 340 Nm @ 1750 RPM; mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission. For those curious about the mileage, this car manages to return an ARAI certified figure of 9.4 km/l.
Wasn't the XJ 3.0l launched at nearly the same price? Now you can buy a Jaguar with a 2.0 l engine for which you would pay well over a crore out of your pocket. Sounds unrealistic. Will this one have a market at all when only for a few bucks more you can get the 3.0l?
Old 16th September 2014, 20:24   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Wasn't the XJ 3.0l launched at nearly the same price? Now you can buy a Jaguar with a 2.0 l engine for which you would pay well over a crore out of your pocket. Sounds unrealistic. Will this one have a market at all when only for a few bucks more you can get the 3.0l?
The super salon LWB's have certain buyers who refuse to go diesel. The S350 petrol for the most part sold better than it's diesel variant. MBIL hence launched the S300 too at a later stage. Most of these are corporate customers who are chauffeured and only car about comfort in the back seat. The slight diesel clatter too is not acceptable, it's more a mental block IMO. But I guess it still exists inspite of modern diesels around.
With the bridge between petrol and diesel prices closing it might make more sense economically to get the petrol variant for these customers too.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 20:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

No matter how many horsepower they extract from that little engine, you are still driving top of the line Jaguar with a pathetic little 2L engine.

Just doesn't add up. You rock up to a party and you ll be type casted forever as the geezer who couldn't afford a car with a proper engine.

For the same money get a different car but one with at least 3L and 6 cyl
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed