Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2015, 20:52   #166
BHPian

re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Only problem is mahindra has this habit of going over the top in looks , their designers are bit over ambitious . If the suv has nice clean macho Design Mahindra seems to have a winner.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st August 2015 at 09:36. Reason: Typo.
al pacino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 22:44   #167
BHPian

Read that this will be produced in their Chakan plant. So this shares assembly line with XUV? If that's the case fit and finish should be much better
Old 31st July 2015, 23:47   #168
BHPian

The problem with the Mahindra design team seems to be that they seem to look for too much outside inspiration while designing a new car, and just can't keep things simple.
It was a 'Cheetah' in case of the XUV, some 'mighty muscular' thing while designing the last Scorpio, possibly a UFO while designing this one
And now in this "TUV" (still can't help but totally hate the name) a battle tank! No, really. A battle tank!!
And then they overdo the styling like crazy, by adding a zillion cuts and creases, fake wheel arches and humps on fenders, generous helpings of chrome, and an almond on the tailgate to a 'cheetah', and LED's and fake roof rails and snazzy grilles and what not to a 'battle tank'. And all of it and more, and then a ugly black slab on the backside to their bread-and-butter car as well.
And that, when no one's specifically asked them for it. In fact, most are asking to cut the overstyling down.
They fast need to realize that a car needs to look just like a proper car, and not much else. Okay, it has to be unique and interesting. And because it's an SUV, imposing. We don't want a cheetah, nor a battle tank, or a seaplane, or a chipmunk, or a kitchen sink, or a rock singer - on wheels. We only want something that manages to make our faces smile whenever we look at it, and not make our eyes bleed, may whatever be the inspiration, theme, or design language. Look how Hyundai does that on every single car these days.

PS: The new XUV front does manage to look very neat (minus the chrome). Also the interior feels way better and fitting to its price tag.
Now, only if they could straighten up the crooked sides and the overdone back, soften the sharp curves, and keep just one or two prominent character lines on the sides, to give it a cleaner and less edgy look. We could have a complete champion then...
mukul32 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 00:31   #169

Manufactured in same plant does not necessarily mean that the fit and finish will be same as XUV.
Old 1st August 2015, 10:00   #170
BHPian

re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Is the TUV (Tough Utility Vehicle) a relative term or just an over-ambitious/ over the top name OR does it really have any credibility in terms of NCAP ratings.

Tough : adjective (of a substance or object) strong enough to withstand adverse conditions or rough handling. (Source Google)

Last edited by schitre05 : 1st August 2015 at 10:20.
Old 1st August 2015, 22:10   #171
BHPian

Should look good I believe. Eager to see the TUV in real.

Sketches reveal the design may be less quirky. After the XUV500 refresh I believe Mahindra has taken a right direction in design, by opting less quirky designs.

Pricing is the factor that will decide the fate of TUV300.
Old 1st August 2015, 22:35   #172
BHPian

This does look like a mash up of a quanto with a mini and an evoque.
Old 2nd August 2015, 12:12   #173
Senior - BHPian

In the July 30 event , M&M said that the TUV3OO would be powered by a mhawk80 engine, developed at Chennai. Photo from the event here.

This doesn't appear to be the same as the Quanto engine. There's speculation that the 80 is for 80 hp, I hope that isn't the case as it will be underpowered !
Old 2nd August 2015, 21:40   #174
BHPian

Maybe the power to weight figures are good enough, similar to the Ciaz. Later depending on the response maybe they will introduce a variety of engines similar to the Xylo.
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:02   #175
BHPian

A few design sketches can condition us to believe anything. Tank?
The side sloping profile is more Suzuki XA Alpha inspired and less tank.
For poor Maruti, the day XA Alpha transforms to the YBA, all it's edges are lost too.

From the African game reserve to the battleground, where is Mahindra design finding it's next mutant ?
Graven5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:25   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Is the TUV (Tough Utility Vehicle) a relative term or just an over-ambitious/ over the top name OR does it really have any credibility in terms of NCAP ratings.

Tough : adjective (of a substance or object) strong enough to withstand adverse conditions or rough handling. (Source Google)
Well Dr. Goenka did mention that they have given significant importance to safety in this vehicle. But no other information given. We will have to wait till mid September for further details now.
amansanc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 11:23   #177
Team-BHP Support

I am wondering whether it would be like those hatchbacks with cladding, or a proper one with 4WD or atleast AWD.

I kind it silly, that companies left right and center are launching "SUVs" who will curl up and die on seeing the first rock, and give up the ghost if required to off-road through a nano-meter of water
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 11:56   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am wondering whether it would be like those hatchbacks with cladding, or a proper one with 4WD or atleast AWD.

I kind it silly, that companies left right and center are launching "SUVs" who will curl up and die on seeing the first rock, and give up the ghost if required to off-road through a nano-meter of water
Sadly, this is not the case in India alone, and is a global issue.

A friend of mine bought an AWD Jeep Compass, and buoyed by its AWD capability, took it for an outing to the beach. In no time, it was royally beached and as per him, it took a LC and a Patrol to pull it out. He went on to say how the vehicle continued to get bogged down multiple times on the stretch of beach, much to the annoyance of the bigger trueblue 4x4s.

My own experience on a friend's Subaru XV (another SUV pretender) is detailed on this thread:
SubaruXV
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:05   #179
BHPian

I must say that Mahindra has done a good marketing of the TUV and atleast raised the curiosity of a few enthusiasts (Me included).

The TUV300 will find a lot of takers, if Mahindra can launch something similar to a "5-door Tata-Sierra", or "a 5-door Gypsy with improved rear suspension ", nice welcoming interiors, sufficient power to weight ratio and a frugal diesel engine.

I'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed for a 5-door Jeep Rubicon Wrangler look-alike -

It should have some scope for accessories and customization to be of any interest to enthusiasts.

Cheers,
Manish
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:14   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

There is hope in this case against a sea of wannabes - this is body-on-frame construction. So long as M&M keeps the electronics simple and in the right position, it should not create too much problems.

Any one has any idea, which chassis they are shortening for this one? The Scorpio or the old Bolero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish View Post
I must say that Mahindra has done a good marketing of the TUV and atleast raised the curiosity of a few enthusiasts (Me included).

I'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed for a 5-door Jeep Rubicon Wrangler look-alike -
The proportions do have a little bit of Rubicon factor. The only fear is that the M&M designers do not know when to stop when providing the styling elements
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks