Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2015, 08:42   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Is it only me or others too feel that the TUV3OO looks a little like the shortened Sumo Grande with a spare wheel on the tail gate?

Last edited by safari_lover : 9th August 2015 at 08:43.
safari_lover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 08:55   #227
AWD
BHPian

re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Is it only me or others too feel that the TUV3OO looks a little like the shortened Sumo Grande
Took the words out of my mouth! With the covers off, MM has been hiding an ugly duckling
Folks this is again meant for agrarian markets, the design is no where in sync with the times.
AWD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 09:11   #228
BHPian

I for one can't digest the look. This design clearly doesn't belong in 2015.

Front is OK but the side profile is so Sumo Grande and the rear!!! What's with Mahindra designers and the backsides? None of their vehicles have a good rear design; seems like they get bored by the time they reach the rear end!! Wouldn't be a bad idea if Mr.Mahindra asked his designers to get the next one started from rear
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 10:12   #229
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
It has come out nicely. Rear looks nice ala YETI .. Hope they do away with the stepney on rear which kind of spoils the nice straight looks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Ha, Revelation! The design, now that it's visible, is quite neat, without the overambitious curves and chrome, just cannot justify whatever hype was building up around this car. It's clean and square, but all that's square isn't a G-Wagen......... Baleno with the YRA, Mahindra could have very well brought back the Armada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
However looking at the proportions I feel this will offer more legroom and storage as compared to Ecosport. I wish it's as good as Creta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivtho View Post
That rear-end is one of the best I've seen on any recent Indian car. Mahindra .......any modification!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
this looks neat to me , straight line , good side profile & great looking rear qtr glass .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Love the rear, especially the chunky lights make it look an old LR Disco...... that the TUV300 isn't poor in the dynamics and engine department like the Quanto was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohu9 View Post
And now the pics without the camouflage has started emerging.
Excerpts: The end result is more impressive than ........the article on Anything On Wheels[/url]
All the above posts - mostly positive and appreciative of the new TUV300 - is a real relief for all supporters of the M&M brand.

sohu9, thanks for the two illustrative photos which bring out the basic highlights of the car. RWD as standard and what clearly looks like a body-on-frame structure - the main ingredients of any self-respecting SUV.

The small foot-print (sub-4m) had led some of us to suspect that M&M would sacrifice ruggedness after the failure of the Quanto, and go the soft-roader way by offering a monocoque structure like the XUV500.

Now one can only hope for the best, that the market responds positively.
And also that the TUV300 design team have taken care to iron out the major shortcomings of its predecessor, the Quanto.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 10:19   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Is it only me or others too feel that the TUV3OO looks a little like the shortened Sumo Grande with a spare wheel on the tail gate?
You're definitely not the only one. I also do feel it looks a bit too much like the Sumo grande. In fact, it's a Bolero from the front, Grande from the sides, and Quanto from the rear; with especially terrible looking A, B, C pillars.
mukul32 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 11:01   #231
BHPian

Looking at the pics, IMHO, this seems to be a very extensive re-skin of the Quanto and not necessarily a completely new vehicle. Somewhat akin to what Tata is attempting to do with the Kite (supposedly a re-skinned Indica)
prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 11:38   #232
BHPian

Why can't Mahindra design a good looking rear end. The new scorpio looks good from front but back is lousy, so is the case with this one TUV300. Also why such boring names, M&M get over this superstitious mumbo-jumbo!
Old 9th August 2015, 11:56   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
Looking at the pics, IMHO, this seems to be a very extensive re-skin of the Quanto and not necessarily a completely new vehicle. Somewhat akin to what Tata is attempting to do with the Kite (supposedly a re-skinned Indica)
Kite is not a reskinned indica its a all new car.

Regarding TUV this is a base model so cant actually comment ,but the effort looks medicore at its best.
Old 9th August 2015, 12:03   #234
BHPian

I think its still too early to comment on the design front. Boxy? sure but that's not always a bad thing. Also this version is clearly the Base model.
I would wait to see a fully unclad top model, you never know what difference the cuts, creases, paint and chrome have on overall visual impact.

It does remind of the Bolero, but isn't what this was supposed to be? a sub 4m bolero? I think M&M have done a decent chop Job.
Mind you this might be no Ecosport killer, but right from the branding to the packaging,
M&M are trying to make sure that this "mini-Bolero" (TUV3ohoh) sells in cities too rather than just the rural market.

Since (I assume) this will sit below the Scorpio, It could bring good numbers depending on its driveability.
It would be interesting to see what impact the TUV3ohoh and the S101 would have on the market.

Last edited by 400notout : 9th August 2015 at 12:04.
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 12:03   #235
BHPian

No beauty to look at but those clean straight lines and simple design looks good to me. IMO much better looking than xylo and quanto. The rear somehow reminds me of the yeti.
TB16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 12:35   #236
BHPian

Nice! Love the simple but functional design. We all should wait to see the top end variant and then jump on conclusion. I think that if the side doors get some plastic cladding and roof rails, then this should look much meaner!
I agree this is no looker (like Ecosport) but this looks very tough and build to last. The only sore point is the 80 PS engine combination. I am sure that a 100 PS version will see the light soon (may be with AMT). Rear looks amazingly simple! However, the metal sheet looks thin to me! maybe its not. It should sell well in my opinion.
Old 9th August 2015, 12:42   #237
BHPian

The final design looks clean and purposeful. A differentiated look from the whole 'crossover' craze. This will definitely find some takers if the interiors and ergonomics are right.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 16:02   #238
BHPian

Looks like an SUV with simple design elements. Hopefully Mahindra will price TUV300 attractively. By the way any idea about the pricing?
Old 9th August 2015, 16:36   #239
BHPian

Quote:
No, you are not alone. This is exactly what I thought after seeing the first few pictures. It does resemble sumo grande in many ways!
Old 9th August 2015, 18:26   #240
BHPian

A simple utility vehicle, I wonder why they are making such a fuss about the design, inspiration from a battle tank, consultaion with pininfarina (what?), presentations showing off the design, etc. The final product looks like a quanto with some of the awkward proportions being corrected to a limit. Still a bit short to be properly proportional.
wantarangerover is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed