Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 14:28   #271
BANNED

re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
Overall the SUV looks similar to the Tata Sumo Grande when viewed from front 3/4 angle.
Is it? For me, Sumo Grande is uglier to the core, but the TUV looks far better.
Old 11th August 2015, 16:21   #272
Senior - BHPian

re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

It definitely looks leagues better than the Quanto, but some how i am disappointed after seeing XUV500 and the new Scorpio side profile. Front and rear still look good. Somehow its the side profile that looks too boxy to me

To me, the bolero still has that clean design - simple, elegant and practical. To hell with the space inside !!

Last edited by rajshenoy : 11th August 2015 at 16:22.
Old 11th August 2015, 20:29   #273
BHPian

When I look at it as a Bolero, I really like how it has come out. Especially how the door hinges are no longer visible, and the clean, simple lines. But, if I look at it as a new car, it looks dull and uninspiring.
fash_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 20:48   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
1. At max, you can expect 2 Airbags and ABS for safety. It should have all the creature comforts which other UVs have in this segment since Mahindra has never skimped on creature comforts.
2. Very unlikely that this will be offered at the launch.
3. Again very unlikely, at best it would handle like the Scorpio/Bolero.
4. Price at 11 Lacs is very much possible.
Mahindra will do what no one has done. It will offer ABS in base SLE variant. See the export details below. Also note the AMT and non AMT variant.
Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-tuv300-export.jpg
purohitanuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 21:07   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello gauravdgr8,

Just curious - tell me, are you usually as vitriolic as this, or is the M&M brand like the proverbial red rag to you?
One might be tempted to conclude that you've had an unfortunate experience or two with a Mahindra product !
One sees the other as himself. Those are my views and am free to share in the forum. Sorry if I offended you.

I stand with my views on the TUV 300. It's a boxy design only meant for the taxi segment.
Old 11th August 2015, 21:36   #276
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Is it? For me, Sumo Grande is uglier to the core, but the TUV looks far better.
Sure thing, I agree with you - tho' one can see the point of similarity as mentioned elsewhere.
The TUV300 looks good mainly because - I think - of the small front/rear overhangs, and relatively larger wheelbase, which gives it that much needed SUV proportions.
With smaller overhangs/larger wheel-base (from the current 2550 mm to 2700 mm say) the Grande could have looked good besides giving a more spacious interior.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 23:36   #277
Senior - BHPian

Looks like MM has a winner on its hands.

Fellow members are already comparing it with the likes of Toyota FJ, Jeep Unlimited, Hummer H2/H3.
Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 00:13   #278
BHPian

I don't really understand why many of us are comparing the TUV300 to Ecosport, Duster and S-Cross. TUV300 is not a crossover or wannabe SUV. It is a true blue SUV build on a ladder on frame chassis. This is the new Bolero and Bolero never competed with other crossovers. Bolero has a different market and primarily focused on the rural and suburban market. Now, with the TUV, Mahindra might aim to take a shot at the city market as well but I am sure, the primary focus will be on the traditional Bolero market.

TUV300 does not look to be sub 4m but I feel it can aim to take the space Quanto failed to. If TUV300 has good interiors and decent ride and handling, it can cater the buyers who want a true blue rugged and rough road friendly SUV between the Thar and Scorpio. For the urban market, this will be a new segment altogether IMO.
Vigkey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 03:32   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I don't really understand why many of us are comparing the TUV300 to Ecosport, Duster and S-Cross. TUV300 is not a crossover or wannabe SUV. It is a true blue SUV build on a ladder on frame chassis. This is the new Bolero and Bolero never competed with other crossovers. Bolero has a different market and primarily focused on the rural and suburban market. Now, with the TUV, Mahindra might aim to take a shot at the city market as well but I am sure, the primary focus will be on the traditional Bolero market.

TUV300 does not look to be sub 4m but I feel it can aim to take the space Quanto failed to. If TUV300 has good interiors and decent ride and handling, it can cater the buyers who want a true blue rugged and rough road friendly SUV between the Thar and Scorpio. For the urban market, this will be a new segment altogether IMO.
@Vigkey, as far as the comparisons with its rivals go, alright the TUV is a proper SUV underneath the skin, and I totally agree that it's designed to serve a different purpose than the compact SUV's, which are made to be just normal urban cars, (and actually that's why the most car-like one wins whenever they're pitted against each other) but ultimately it's aimed at the same price bracket as them, and the average SUV buyer will still consider it primarily along with the compact SUV's. So the comparison is inevitable actually.

And as they fall into the same buyer target, what one (usually the best selling one) offers is automatically expected out of the others, even though their intended purpose of existence isn't exactly the same. For example, that's exactly what happened with the original Honda Jazz in our market. Though it was meant for a different buyer, and was just way too good for all cheaper hatches, and actually wasn't even a real competitor to them, just because they appeared to be rivals, it was concluded as overpriced, and often overlooked, and people went for Swifts and Ford Figos over it. The very few who still bought the Jazz though, were the most satisfied.

So similarly, I won't be surprised if the media call the TUV crude and less appealing with respect to the other compact SUV's in comparison reviews, and if a lot of perspective buyers initially consider it but then go for some crossover based SUV because it's more car like and sensible, though an SUV was what they would have been originally looking for.
mukul32 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 10:03   #280
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the most interesting or funny threads with most polarised opinions on alternate posts!! Comparison ranges from a tin box to a FJ cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
It will purely sell in the taxi segment.
Selling in the taxi segment does not depend on the looks - rather on the carrying capacity , running costs etc Vs the price/investment

In my opinion, so far as the consumer market is concerned, M&M's action so far gives the impression that this will also fall in no mans land!

People looking for true blue SUVs will not be bothered about the 7 seats but will rather miss a 4WD, whereas the YUPPIE crowd will not be bothered with the Jeep styling or Hummer behind. The lack of modern sophistication will put them off.

Taxi crowd will be interested if it is priced low compared to existing offerings, since the seating capacity is going to be limited

PS : For me the Thar is the most good looking offering from M&M in recent times and XUV the least. Not much impressed with the mauled by Cheetah looks
Old 12th August 2015, 11:52   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Mahindra will do what no one has done. It will offer ABS in base SLE variant. See the export details below. Also note the AMT and non AMT variant.
That doesn't mean that Mahindra will offer it here. ABS is mandatory in European countries.
speedmiester is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 11:54   #282
BHPian

If this looks as good as it is now seeming to - rides well providing adequate levels of comfort and coupled with an AMT - make way Fortuner, Hexa, Rexton, Creta, Ecosport etc. this might be the one that might replace my Innova.
an_and is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 12:06   #283
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
If this looks as good as it is now seeming to - rides well providing adequate levels of comfort and coupled with an AMT - make way Fortuner, Hexa, Rexton, Creta, Ecosport etc. this might be the one that might replace my Innova.
Appearance wise, it is good. But in riding comfort, it will be nowhere near Innova. I've seen its test mules, bumping on every pothole. It may be just another Bolero in terms of ride.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 16:20   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
That doesn't mean that Mahindra will offer it here. ABS is mandatory in European countries.
Lets wait and watch! Every bit is a rumor until officially stated by company. I hope that we get ABS as standard across all variants. People spend 30-40k on alloys and ICE while skip the mid variants with ABS. This needs to be forced now, in my opinion.
Old 13th August 2015, 01:18   #285

I tried very hard to look at the pics again and again and like them but I cant, the car looks very ungainly at best. The 80'esque squarish wheel wells and the funny angles where bumper meets the body look ghastly. Is is so difficult to design a good car to look at, if you are already in market for decades?
Jaatree is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks