Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2015, 08:58   #1021
BHPian

I test drove both TUV3oo and Ecosport. In terms of Driveability I would give it to Mahindra due to the engine tuning...The low end torque kicks in at very low rpms and ambling in city traffic is a breeze with minimal gear shifts. At higher rpms both engines feel stressed and running out of breath. But where Ecosport scores are the interiors, fit and finish and NVH levels. On the flip side TUV is much more spacious and has the additional jump seats to accommodate 2 more than Ecosport although it should be limited to short drives.
thatsdileep is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 09:48   #1022
BHPian

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
And if such reviews exist, they are actually no different from those 'Advertorial Features' in magazines. At least they (not so) clearly state they are advertorials, unlike these journos.

I think it's high time Team-BHP started official comparison tests as well. Mods and distinguished BHPians, please take note and think on the request. I'm sure most BHPians would want this as well.
Some journalists do not know a thing about cars. But still they go ahead and blabber something, hoping that viewers may not notice everything they say and will be just interested in what they show visually - in this case, the cars and the locations.
Such reviews actually do not add any value to the customer, who is expecting some decent opinion. However, for the uninitiated, such reviews create a sub-conscious effect. For e.g - after watching such review, if they visit the TUV300 in showroom, they do feel, there is a general opinion that Ecosport is generally considered more "premium" compared to TUV300, irrespective of their own preferences.

Here is why I feel the team bhp reviews are balanced. They try to bring out each and every detail of a car they review, the good and the bad.
I totally second your opinion about having official comparison reviews of team bhp. It actually gives a good deal of idea to the buyer.
Old 1st October 2015, 11:04   #1023
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
I think it's high time Team-BHP started official comparison tests as well. Mods and distinguished BHPians, please take note and think on the request. I'm sure most BHPians would want this as well.
I personally think comparisons and 5 car shootouts to find the best are not very effective. Today, most of the popular cars in most segments are very close to each other in most aspects and the choice of one over the other depends on an individual perception based on requirements. That why at the end of most of these shootouts you see- 'There is no clear winner' if you prefer A,B,C go with Car X else go with Car Y.

Also, I have noticed that in several comparison tests Car A seems to be 'slightly' better in all aspects but then Car B ends up the winner as a better overall 'package'.

All this confuses the buyer even more and I feel impacts judgement.

So in my humble opinion, comparisons are good, but it should not be with the intent of calling out a winner. That should be left to the buyer to decide with a clear mind.

Quote:
It is usually the Indian media, who probably conduct these comparisons with some 'help' from the manufacturers, and hence desperately avoid criticising cars, especially popular cars. And it's not just the not-so-popular shows. Even someone like Renuka Kirpalani for the Bloomberg Autocar Show sometimes gives such confusing or biased sounding conclusions and opinions about some cars. It seems as if these guys are held back by someone from giving a fair opinion, or criticising a particular car.
This I have felt is definitely true. Lot of cases where the criticism seems restrained. Also you will see multiple comparisons pop up. For Example today it is TUV vs Ecosport. Tomorrow it maybe TUV vs Duster and then a 'Soft SUV Shootout' will come.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 1st October 2015 at 11:10.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 06:38   #1024
BHPian

Both me and my wife have liked the vehicle very much and booked T8 manual on the day of launch, but still have not given a full confirmation to the dealer due to following two reasons:

- Like many others, I am also waiting for the unbiased Team-BHP review, moderators please bring it soon!

- If the review is on the positive side then the next difficult job is choosing colour between red, orange and green

Last edited by sallubhai : 2nd October 2015 at 06:40. Reason: spell error
Old 2nd October 2015, 11:55   #1025
BHPian

After reading members views on the TUV 300, this seems to be one car which is like the fruit Durian. You either 'love it' or 'loathe it'.
I 'loathe' the Durian and its smell, but have fallen in love with this compact SUV.
Test drove the car twice in the past week. Found it to be slightly under powered than the Vento TDI I drive now, but I am going to get used to it, as I am going to sell the Vento and have already booked a black T8 manual TUV. . (call me a fool ? no problems. Sometimes the heart rules over the mind)
Expecting it to be delivered on the 10th of this month. The wait is killing...
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 12:44   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
After reading members views on the TUV 300, have already booked a black T8 manual TUV. . (call me a fool ? no problems. Sometimes the heart rules over the mind)
Expecting it to be delivered on the 10th of this month. The wait is killing...

Captain Rex: So you would become the first person in our forum to officially take the delivery of the Black beast. I like few others liked the looks and the drive but waiting for our TeamBhp review before taking a plunge.

We would be eagerly waiting for the first shots and the ownership report from you.

Congrats once again !!!
Old 2nd October 2015, 13:22   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Found it to be slightly under powered than the Vento TDI I drive now, but I am going to get used to it, as I am going to sell the Vento and have already booked a black T8 manual TUV. . .
Slightly underpowered? Are you serious? I took a longish test drive of the TUV 300 . The Mahindra showroom here in Trichy is on the highway and try as one might the speedo really doesn't move beyond 130 kmph.

I understand the torque is sufficient for the job at hand, but I guess the power delivery is just not in the same league. You must be having your own reasons but not this!
Old 2nd October 2015, 14:15   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post

We would be eagerly waiting for the first shots and the ownership report from you.

Congrats once again !!!
Thanx Arindam. I, too, have been waiting for the official review from TBHP, but on 29th last month got a call from the showroom that there were 3 TUV's yet to be booked in the consignment ordered by Zulaikha and I just could not resist it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Slightly underpowered? Are you serious? I took a longish test drive of the TUV 300 . The Mahindra showroom here in Trichy is on the highway and try as one might the speedo really doesn't move beyond 130 kmph. You must be having your own reasons but not this!
Ok. May be 'slightly' might be an 'over' statement for being 'under' powered , but where do you want to go at 130 kmph ? The TUV pulls good enough till around 100 kmph.
Old 2nd October 2015, 14:47   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Slightly underpowered? Are you serious? I took a longish test drive of the TUV 300 . The Mahindra showroom here in Trichy is on the highway and try as one might the speedo really doesn't move beyond 130 kmph.
Would you really drive this car above 130 KPH, if it could? I wouldn't think of exceeding 120 on our highways even in the best of SUVs. And this one is budget-end SUV. If I own one, I would be happy to keep it around 90-100 mark. Our roads throw up unimaginable surprises. People just materialise out of thin air in front of you.
Old 2nd October 2015, 15:15   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Would you really drive this car above 130 KPH, if it could? I wouldn't think of exceeding 120 on our highways even in the best of SUVs. And this one is budget-end SUV. If I own one, I would be happy to keep it around 90-100 mark. Our roads throw up unimaginable surprises. People just materialise out of thin air in front of you.
I completely agree, its insane to drive any vehicle over 100kmph in India. Even if you manage to do it there are very few roads in India where you can sustain over 100kmph for a fair distance. . The best highway in India (Yamuna Expressway) also doesn't encourage over 100 kmph and they are strict in enforcing this rule.

From a practical view the TUV300 has a lot of brownie points going in its favor. I am sure if one is practical they would definitely consider TUV300.I am also waiting for the detailed teambhp review especially the AMT version, before plunging into it.
Old 2nd October 2015, 16:40   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Ok. May be 'slightly' might be an 'over' statement for being 'under' powered , but where do you want to go at 130 kmph ? The TUV pulls good enough till around 100 kmph.
+1 to that! I was pretty impressed with the TUV 300 myself. The interiors were pleasant and a commanding driving position made me want to buy it, but the missus wants only a Creta or the XUV. Cheers!
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 17:24   #1032
BHPian

I saw this car in person in showroom. The car had very good proportions and slightly higher than XUV500.
The SA informed me that they don't have any display car for TUV but what is displayed was already up for delivery. He said AMT variant can be requested for test drive if required.
The interiors were made roomy for 5+2 seater but had thin seats. The all round visibility Is really good and the seating position can give a commanding view of the road.
The gear knob and clutch were as easy to operate as alto. SA told that his personal opinion is the interiors are made much better than quanto, scorpio etc. He told he got about 90 bookings in 20 days.
Jump seats are just for short journeys. I don't think we can put kids in these seats and be peaceful. Al least lap belts should have been there.
If you are looking for a high raised car with multiple features TUV may not suit you. But if you need a SUV with reasonable features less than 10 lakhs this should be your pick.
hybridpetrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 21:48   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This I have felt is definitely true. Lot of cases where the criticism seems restrained.
Exactly. You will find most reviews bending over backwards to justify the 85 bhp engine on a vehicle that weighs in at over 1600 kg, mostly by talking about 'torque band', 'tuning', 'in-gear-acceleration' and several other subjective parameters. The sort of terminology that is used when the vehicle really isn't up to the mark. It basically screams "please continue inviting me to your media events".

I found this vehicle pretty underpowered by modern vehicle standards - you can put it in the same league as the Bolero or the Sumo Gold or a Tavera or maybe the Enjoy, but you simply cannot compare it to the vehicles that Mahindra WANTS to compete against (i.e., the sub-4-meter stilted hatches/crossovers/wannabes). What you will find is the media and most portals playing to this script of trying to match the vehicle up to the ones Mahindra wants to compete with. That way the media will help the manufacturer manage the perception of the vehicle.

Ecosport v/s TUV300 when they are not even remotely comparable is a classic example.
Old 2nd October 2015, 21:51   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallubhai View Post
- If the review is on the positive side then the next difficult job is choosing colour between red, orange and green
Choosing colors is really difficult for this SUV. Incidentally I was contemplating between white, black or silver. I haven't seen Orange and green in flesh, must be good looking. I somehow dont like flashy colors on XUV but this being much smaller size can carry sporty colors.

White and silver are definitely cooler. To quote the below link "The researchers had two cars in the sun for an hour, one black and the other silver, parked facing south, in Sacramento, California. The silver Honda Civic had a cabin air temperature of about 5-6°C (9-11°F) lower than an identical black car. "

http://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver-...rs-cooler.html

White might just make it look like a commercial vehicle although I did like the look of it. Black color just looks mean and will highlight the chrome in front even more.
BlueJay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 22:05   #1035
BHPian

Mahindra TUV 300 - First Drive - PowerDrift

kalleo4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks