Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2015, 20:32   #1111
BHPian

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I needed a rugged vehicle, with very good low end torque, most importantly a rear wheel drive, would not buckle under load.
First, congratulations and best wishes. The orange one looks interesting in pictures. Haven't yet seen many on the roads though.

Second, can you help me understand what exactly you mean by the advantage gained by a rear wheel drive for regular city use and load bearing capacity. Based on your test drives did you feel that other vehicles are relatively underpowered when fully loaded?

I am looking at ertiga but the delays have created a spanner in the works for me and consequently postponed my purchase, I haven't shifted my loyalties yet but TUV definitely ticks the right boxes on the pricing front. e.g. Ertiga VXi - on road mumbai is around 8.76 and VDi around 10.07. Ertiga facelift with the 50:50 last row split seats and airbags in the VXi/VDi variant kind of fills in the gaps for me as compared to the previous version.

Third, How did you find the ingress/egress as compared to ertiga - specifically for old folks. Does one have to haul oneself up?

One more point, I was just going through the TUV review of bbc topgear, the fuel efficiency figures 9.8 kmpl for city and 13.3 kmpl for highways seems a bit low? What did you get on your test drives on the MFD?

http://www.topgear.com/india/mahindr...v300/itemid-51
cyberwhizs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 20:46   #1112
BHPian

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched ...

Quote:
You are right Aniketi. I was really looking forward to the Ertiga SHVS. However the uncertainty of its launch, here in Pune and the more uncertainty about getting the first lot of cars, really put me off. I wanted to go only for that car, which I would get before Diwali. Moreover I wanted a rear wheel drive car, which can carry additional loads with ease and would be abuse friendly. The TUV fitted the bill to the "T". Hence the choice.

Autoindian I feel to file a copy infringement case against you for stealing my dilemmas over Ertiga vs TUV. (Just Kidding)

On a serious note CONGRATULATIONS on your purchase. Hope to see a ownership report soon.

One hand I am waiting eagerly for our expert review on TUV and the other hand Maruti is unsure of the pricing and the launch. People here in the showrooms have less info than us.

My requirements listed below according to priority:
1. Ground Clearance
2. OTR within 11Lakh in Bangalore
3. All safety features( ABS and Airbag) since I don't have any clue on structural integrity on these vehicles sold for India. But I trust Mr Mahindra's words more than our Japanese counterpart. I might be wrong though.
4. Spacious 5 seater.(Occasionally 7 is cherry on top)
5. Good service.
6. Minimal waiting period.
7. NO Hyundai ( personal experience is not good)

So with all this knit picking I found these two vehicles are in prime contention and I might book any one of them anytime.

Last edited by Arindam_Nayek : 20th October 2015 at 20:48.
Arindam_Nayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 21:53   #1113
BHPian

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Dear Moderators, we are into the second month after the launch of TUV3OO (If I am not wrong it was launched on 10th Sep 2015). We are yet to see the official TBHP review, neither we have any indication when it can see the light of the day.

At least give us an indication when the official review of TUV3OO will be published.
Hold it bro, while I can understand your eagerness, you also need to accept the fact that in the last 3 months there has been numerous launches and I'm sure the TUV review is WIP and should be up.
It will definitely be worth the wait

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 20th October 2015 at 22:18.
Old 20th October 2015, 23:36   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
First, congratulations and best wishes. The orange one looks interesting in pictures. Haven't yet seen many on the roads though.
Thank you cyberwhizs. I have seen only 2 TUVs in Pune on the road, till date.

Quote:
Second, can you help me understand what exactly you mean by the advantage gained by a rear wheel drive for regular city use and load bearing capacity. Based on your test drives did you feel that other vehicles are relatively underpowered when fully loaded?
I think you got me wrong, there is no real advantage of RWD for regular city use (rather the mileage will be on lower side). But yes if the car is fully loaded and you have to stop on an incline, a FWD car will struggle to move forward as the complete load is on rear wheels and have good traction, front wheels might slip if they don't get enough grip. You may have to slip the clutch generously to move forward. For RWD cars, you can just release the clutch pedal and get going. You will know the real advantage of RWD cars while climbing ghats. Twice I was in a situation in my Indica when I had to ask my passengers to get down the car, so that car could climb the incline, once at Bhimashankar and other timein Konkan (of course that was a non-turbo Indica, with poor low end torque). The current generation of CRDi cars would anyday fare better. None of the cars that I listed are underpowered, however the way in which the TUV pulls is leagues ahead, the meaty low end torque has a role to play in that.

Quote:
I am looking at ertiga but the delays have created a spanner in the works for me and consequently postponed my purchase, I haven't shifted my loyalties yet but TUV definitely ticks the right boxes on the pricing front. e.g. Ertiga VXi - on road mumbai is around 8.76 and VDi around 10.07. Ertiga facelift with the 50:50 last row split seats and airbags in the VXi/VDi variant kind of fills in the gaps for me as compared to the previous version.
True, now the Ertiga VXi/VDi variant is really a steal, especially the VDi, which comes with SHVS technology.

Quote:
Third, How did you find the ingress/egress as compared to ertiga - specifically for old folks. Does one have to haul oneself up?
Very easy for old and young folks as well, The foot step is just at the right height. Also the roomy cabin makes ingress, egress a cake walk. Ertiga is also equally good, you simply walk into the cabin.

Quote:
One more point, I was just going through the TUV review of bbc topgear, the fuel efficiency figures 9.8 kmpl for city and 13.3 kmpl for highways seems a bit low? What did you get on your test drives on the MFD?

This is indeed very low. Not sure what were their test conditions. I would however expect good FE even for city driving. But then lugging the 1.6 tonner will definitely take a toll on FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post
Autoindian I feel to file a copy infringement case against you for stealing my dilemmas over Ertiga vs TUV. (Just Kidding)
Ha, ha, ha, you made my day with that quote

Quote:
So with all this knit picking I found these two vehicles are in prime contention and I might book any one of them anytime.
I would suggest test drive both the cars extensively along with your family in varying conditions. Both are equally good in their own respect. I wanted a "go anywhere" car, which won't burn a big hole in my pocket, both while purchasing and while running. In the Ertiga, you will have to drive carefully when it is fully loaded, not so with the TUV. Roads or not roads, you can drive it anywhere.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 00:27   #1115
BHPian

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched ...

Quote:

I would suggest test drive both the cars extensively along with your family in varying conditions. Both are equally good in their own respect. I wanted a "go anywhere" car, which won't burn a big hole in my pocket, both while purchasing and while running. In the Ertiga, you will have to drive carefully when it is fully loaded, not so with the TUV. Roads or not roads, you can drive it anywhere.
Yes I drove the TUV and the Ertiga petrol (Previous version) that's where all the dilemmas started over again.

Its like:
1. I don't need a seven seats at all but whats wrong if you are getting it.
2. I don't really need a Diesel with my usage but whats wrong in grinning about the low end torque.
3. Service wise Maruti wins hands down but with our previous experience with Bolero (Extended family) Mahindra was good too.
4. The steering of Ertiga (BEIGE) is a Huge turn off for me but so does the Sub 4 Meter barrier in TUV (The Indian Govt should have given TUV the extra 1 feet to make the vehicle look complete)

The list is really long so I have stopped thinking on these now. (Or Do I)
The only thing I am waiting for is the TUV review from Team Bhp and as Karthik hinted and going by GTO's post couple of weeks back it looks to be almost done.

By the way I am eager to drive the mean machine Abarth too.
Am I Stupid ?? No I love Cars and wish to drive a lot of them.
Arindam_Nayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 02:06   #1116
BHPian

The title appears confusing IMHO. I am not sure in what way is the TUV300 comparable to the Bolero?
Old 21st October 2015, 07:44   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imove View Post
The title appears confusing IMHO. I am not sure in what way is the TUV300 comparable to the Bolero?
True, it is only we here are TBHP are noticing the resemblance, especially the front bonnet portion and overall the boxy looks. Otherwise there is nothing common between the two. Haven't driven the Bolero yet but had a look at the interiors. Those are very utilitarian. The TUV is miles ahead, both in terms of look and feel.

Once the official review is out the similarities and the differences would be crystal clear.
Old 21st October 2015, 08:51   #1118
BHPian

Hi AutoIndian,

I am glad that you opted for TUV300. I have been a silent reader of your posts and know your usage well.

A RWD with body on frame is the vehicle to go for when the application is on rural roads, bad roads, ghats, touring to isolated new locations with bad roads where GC would come in handy.

Even though Ertiga is a quick car at cruising speeds, it lacks the abuse friendly nature and capability to handle bad roads. Ertiga is a great car for 4 adults & 2 kids and works really well for intercity runs on highways. But when my family of 5 people with tall build went to test the ertiga, we were disappointed as the middle bench cannot accommodate 3 people in comfort (lack of width) If one person has to go to the 3rd row then the second row's leg room is seriously compromised. And more importantly at steep inclines (ghats), if Ertiga has 5 people with luggage and if you have to stop and climb the incline then some amount of clutch slipping is required or need to roll back a bit and gain momentum to climb up. The FWD and turbo-lag are to blame.

I have been a regular reader of your Indica ownership thread and used to smile to find your maintenance patterns similar to mine. Infact I used to keep looking once in 2 weeks at your thread. We have a Bolero here, which is our workhorse - daily commute, weekend trips & long distance trips, all in one vehicle. Bolero is slow & utilitarian but goes everywhere and has been very economical and comfortable.

When you upgraded to an used Innova, it made a lot of sense to me and I was about to follow suit. But always had worries of an unknown vehicle history and couldn't get to convince myself to buy a used one. And then your story of the previous accident damage, made it clear to me not to go in for a used car unless you know the car & owner personally.

TUV 300 is a great choice for your use. Congratulations!
Mahindra ASS may not be not be on par with Maruti/ Toyota for sure, but since you understand your car well and follow preventive maintenance, maintaining this Mahindra would be an easy task.

Regards,
JP
Herbie98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 10:23   #1119
BANNED

Quote:
Though a bit late, please accept my congratulations CAPTAIN REX. I have also bitten the bullet, booked a TUV3OO - TS (manual) today morning.
Congratulations AutoIndian, on your decision to plonk for the TUV! It gives me added resolve to do the same. One of the reasons for my present indecision is the same as yours - I too am waiting for the T-BHP review.

You have highlighted all the major strengths of the vehicle and I endorse them happily - I have been a contented Scorpio owner these past many years, and am deeply partial to RWD. M&M have gone several steps further in adding to the appeal of the TUV - by giving it its hydro-formed back-bone, the ladder-frame chassis, as well as the AMT transmission. Without question these will add hugely to its appeal.

Congratulations once again and I'm sure we all look forward to your subsequent posts on your new aquisition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
I booked white T8 AMT last Tuesday and will get it for Dussehra. At the time of booking dealer told me 2 months waiting for AMT but yesterday got call and car is allotted and I am not complaining.
Congratulations silverknight, on booking your new steed! And I specially look forward to your ownership experience as I have not yet made up my mind about the manual or AMT. But regardless of this, I'm sure you won't regret your decision - my own experience of M&M vehicle ownership as well as that of so many others, says you've made the right choice.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 14:39   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Just now got the information from fellow BHPian Silverknight that yesterday he had done the PDI of his White TUV T8-AMT. He is getting the delivery tomorrow on the auspicious occasion of Dassera. I have requested him to share his PDI and delivery experience here in this thread for the benefit of all members and non-members alike.

Edit: Just now our friend conveyed that his car is one of the first two AMTs in Pune.

Team, I was wondering why my Dad is so excited in getting the TUV at home, he is far more excited than me. It has struck me only now. He is now in the 14th year of his retirement after serving in Central Govt for the almost 35 years. He was the chief draughtsman in the office of Central Govt designing Special Vehicles. He was instrumental in designing/ drawing at least a couple of parts (if not all) of many battle tanks like the T-72, Arjun, BMP etc and even the Bofors gun. So now I got it, why he could connect with the TUV3OO, afterall its design has been inspired by the "battle tank"

Last edited by AutoIndian : 21st October 2015 at 15:09.
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 17:04   #1121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post

Congratulations silverknight, on booking your new steed! And I specially look forward to your ownership experience as I have not yet made up my mind about the manual or AMT. But regardless of this, I'm sure you won't regret your decision - my own experience of M&M vehicle ownership as well as that of so many others, says you've made the right choice.
Thanks Karthik !
PDI - done
Full payment - done
Haggled a lot on registration charges but Kundan only agreed to match insurance premium, if I get a lower quote.
Delivery tomorrow 0630 hours !!
silverknight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 17:07   #1122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
Delivery tomorrow 0630 hours !!
They deliver cars this early ?

Congratulations !
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 17:49   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post
Hi AutoIndian, I am glad that you opted for TUV300. I have been a silent reader of your posts and know your usage well.
Good to know that you have been following my posts and glad that you concur with my choice.

Quote:
A RWD with body on frame is the vehicle to go for when the application is on rural roads, bad roads, ghats, touring to isolated new locations with bad roads where GC would come in handy.
Perfect, you are spot on. I wanted a "Go anywhere" kind of vehicle, same like a tank. A tank can run on road (albiet slow), climb mountains, wade through water etc

Quote:
Even though Ertiga is a quick car at cruising speeds, it lacks the abuse friendly nature and capability to handle bad roads. Ertiga is a great car for 4 adults & 2 kids and works really well for intercity runs on highways.
True, initially that was my thought process. I have 4 adults and 2 kids in my family and I was really looking forward to the facelift Ertiga. However the cons mentioned by you above and uncertainty over its launch pulled me away from it.

Quote:
But when my family of 5 people with tall build went to test the ertiga, we were disappointed as the middle bench cannot accommodate 3 people in comfort (lack of width) If one person has to go to the 3rd row then the second row's leg room is seriously compromised.
In my case that would not have been a problem. The two decently built people, myself and Dad occupy the driver and co-driver seat. Mom is medium built, wife is lean and daughter too very thin, son is small (2.5 years). So all of them can fit in the 2nd row seat of the Ertiga. If they want more space daughter or wife can jump into the 3rd row seat.

Quote:
And more importantly at steep inclines (ghats), if Ertiga has 5 people with luggage and if you have to stop and climb the incline then some amount of clutch slipping is required or need to roll back a bit and gain momentum to climb up. The FWD and turbo-lag are to blame.
You are spot on again. This is the situation, which I fear the most. Already experienced in my Indica on couple of accassions, I am wary of such scenarios. The Innova never game me a problem in this regard, it being an RWD. Be it flyovers, parking ramps, ghat roads, Innova was a cakewalk and I am sure TUV will outperform that.

Quote:
I have been a regular reader of your Indica ownership thread and used to smile to find your maintenance patterns similar to mine. Infact I used to keep looking once in 2 weeks at your thread
Hey, you are giving me blushes by saying that. True, I took utmost care of my Indica and it never failed me. You won't believe, currently I am using the same old workhorse as a standby car for my office commutes and other errands, till the time I get my hands on the TUV

Quote:
We have a Bolero here, which is our workhorse - daily commute, weekend trips & long distance trips, all in one vehicle. Bolero is slow & utilitarian but goes everywhere and has been very economical and comfortable.
Very true and that is the very reason why the Bolero has been the undisputed king of the utility segment. Not sure if the TUV will take that mantle from Bolero or may be M&M is planning to tap the urban market with TUV and keep the Bolero for rural and semi-urban areas.

Quote:
When you upgraded to an used Innova, it made a lot of sense to me and I was about to follow suit. But always had worries of an unknown vehicle history and couldn't get to convince myself to buy a used one. And then your story of the previous accident damage, made it clear to me not to go in for a used car unless you know the car & owner personally.
Actually the Innova was a very big car for my needs. However the occasional inclusion of one or the other relative on week end/ holiday trips made it very worth. We used to invite our neighbors or close acquaintances to join us for outstation trips, the more the merrier and Innova wouldn't complain. Many had warned me against a pre-worshipped car from an unknown source, however the one I sealed the deal was a close friend's friend. Before the deal was sealed, I could not talk to him as he was in US and had to deal with his father only. Unfortunately that person cheated on me even though I respected him as my father.

Quote:
TUV 300 is a great choice for your use. Congratulations!
Mahindra ASS may not be not be on par with Maruti/ Toyota for sure, but since you understand your car well and follow preventive maintenance, maintaining this Mahindra would be an easy task.
Thank you once again foryour wishes. Yes, I don't have high hopes from Mahindra ASS (in line with the likes of Maruti/ Toyota), but on the contrary I hope they do not screw a good vehicle. I will have to be extremely vigilant each time the car goes to the service centre. For Innova I didn't have to worry much, but for TUV I will have to keep my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Congratulations AutoIndian, on your decision to plonk for the TUV! It gives me added resolve to do the same. One of the reasons for my present indecision is the same as yours - I too am waiting for the T-BHP review.
Thank you shashanka. I saw the above post from moderator Eddy and momentarily there was a sparkle in my eyes, I thought Eddy might have closed this thread and given the link to the official review of TUV, alas that was not the case.

Quote:
You have highlighted all the major strengths of the vehicle and I endorse them happily - I have been a contented Scorpio owner these past many years, and am deeply partial to RWD. M&M have gone several steps further in adding to the appeal of the TUV - by giving it its hydro-formed back-bone, the ladder-frame chassis, as well as the AMT transmission. Without question these will add hugely to its appeal.
Very true, TUV has Scorpio's underpinnings (same chassis), convinience of AMT, decent interiors. Only if it proves to be as reliable as a Scorpio or even better than, then this car is surely going to create ripples in the compact SUV segment.

Quote:
Congratulations once again and I'm sure we all look forward to your subsequent posts on your new aquisition!
If you would have observed the last few pages of this thread, I am the one who is posting multiple messages, feeling excited, but treading with caution .
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 18:04   #1124
BHPian

Just going a bit OT here...

IMHO, Mahindra has come a long long way from those Commander and Armada days, and even the early Scorpio and Bolero days. Here in Stuttgart I see not only Mercs, Beemers and Porsches, but also a number of Skodas and Dacias and Seats (and of course the Japs are there too). I keep wondering why can't Mahnidra get the battle here in Germany? I would like to drive an Indian car (especially after seeing how crazy the Europeans are to save their car industry), but really have no options.
The TUV300 is a fantastic car that would do wonders in Europe if it can meet the EU emission and crash test regulations (but then VW did pass the emission regulations too ).
I did hear that the Scorpio gets sold in some markets as the Goa (?), but that's too little to take Mahindra global.

Last edited by Eddy : 21st October 2015 at 23:37. Reason: Extra smiley
IndiFuture is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:00   #1125
BHPian

Quote:

If the fuel efficiency of the vehicle is so poor, why do not we consider Scorpio, which is a time tested car with bigger engine. It would be nice if any of the buyers confirm regarding the FE in real life, thanks.
sallubhai is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks