Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2015, 16:24   #1126
BHPian

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallubhai View Post
If the fuel efficiency of the vehicle is so poor, why do not we consider Scorpio, which is a time tested car with bigger engine. It would be nice if any of the buyers confirm regarding the FE in real life, thanks.
I was actually thinking on same grounds. Whats the point of having a smaller engine if the fuel efficiency is still going to be this low. Scorpio for that matter is much bigger and more fun to drive due to low end torque.
Old 22nd October 2015, 16:52   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I was actually thinking on same grounds. Whats the point of having a smaller engine if the fuel efficiency is still going to be this low. Scorpio for that matter is much bigger and more fun to drive due to low end torque.
I don't think it will be that low. The ARAI certified FE for the manual is 18.5 kmpl, which is decent for its size and weight, but low compared to the competition (read Ecosport, Duster, Creta etc). If driven sanely, it should give at least 16-17 kmpl (just my guess). Will let you know the actual FE figures, once I get my car and start doing the tankful to tankful calculations.

If size (read length) is not a concern for you, you are going to hit the highways too often (long interstate trips) and you have enough vitamin-M, then Scorpio would anyday be a better choice as it is tried and tested and you won't be disappointed on the mileage front.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 22nd October 2015 at 16:53.
Old 22nd October 2015, 19:01   #1128
BHPian

Now that TUV is out, any thoughts if it could eat into used car space of Bolero? If things in my office go as planned, I might have to sell my 2014 zlx bolero and I am really concerned about the price it might fetch
Old 22nd October 2015, 23:56   #1129
Distinguished - BHPian

Should thank Captain Rex for kindling interest in the TUV 300. After reading his ownership thread yesterday, I drove down to take a look at the tank. Not going to go into the looks and interiors as this has been rehashed many times on this thread.

Test drove the T8 AMT as the Manual was not available. My 2 cents based on this 20 minute drive
Pros:
- The black TUV300 in the flesh made me take a step back and admire this monster
- For a 3 cylinder, did not feel any vibrations in the cabin or steering
- NVH: I drive a 2009 WagonR and compared to that, the NVH is well in control. Even when compared to a VW vento or the Etios Diesel, the NVH levels are almost at par if not better
- Steering is solid and heavy. Feels much better than the EPS units on aspire & zest
- Good front and rear visibility. A pillar does not create major blind spots. For a car this big, its pretty easy to maneuver in tight areas because of the huge OVRMs as well as rear visibility
- Easily found a driving position (6 ft tall) and the pedal spacing is also good. People with broad feet will not have to worry
- Given my current car, it feels like a logical upgrade. I love Boxy!

Cons:
- Brakes - a soft push does not engage the brakes and a little more force makes them clamp down, resulting in a oblique forward push for passengers. Not very confidence inspiring
- Gear shifts feel a little slow. Actually had to take my foot of the A pedal and wait for the clutch to engage, shift and then had to accelerate. Could also be because this was my first AMT drive
- Even in manual mode, there was a lag while shifting
- In gear acceleration is slower when compared to the Aspire and Zest that I had TD'ed a few months ago
- I felt that the ride was a little bouncy but my better half in the rear bench did not feel a thing and she was extremely comfortable

Overall: Pretty impressed with what M&M have delivered. Plan to TD the Manual variant to check for clutch feel, gear slotting and in gear acceleration. Also plan to drive over broken road and on straight tarmac to get a better feel of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Took delivery of the black TUV300 T8
Thanks a lot for posting smashing pics. Should call your car 'The Bat' or the 'Tumbler' as it does comes in black

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Did some research on 3 cylinder engines,twin stage turbos,Dual mass flywheels,Rear wheel drive
Thanks a lot for that drsingh. Was very informative and cleared a lot of bias I had for 3 Cylinder turbocharged engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The fuel tank is plastic, located as the lowest point midships, and an Achilles' heel. Sorely missing is a metal protection plate there
This seems to be a serious miss given the fact that a lot of customers might purchase this over other monocoque UVs for its perceived rugged & abuse friendly nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
in case the AMT auto clutch fails on the highway (God forbid!), does the manual option remain usable? Or is one stuck with whichever gear one happens to be in, till help arrives?
My guess is you are stuck as there is no manual clutch to change gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Biggest negatives of AMT:
I was on an incline near the showroom gate. Car came to a standstill and the first gear was engaged. Now to prevent roll back I pressed the brake pedal. The moment I lifted my right leg off the pedal and tried to press the accelerator, the car began to roll back.
Experienced this today during the TD. Had stopped on an incline and had to aggressively push the A pedal to stop the car from rolling back and get it moving.

Sightly OT: After going through 40 odd pages here and reviews & videos on other portals & youtube, I have some very basic questions:
1) 3 Cylinder turbo engines seem to be quiet efficient and maybe even cheaper than 4 cylinder turbo diesels. Why are we not seeing more of these in India?
2) Given the tendency of a 3 Cylinder to vibrate more, what changes has M&M done to the engine mounts to ensure that they last longer and handle this additional load
3) Given that FR layout cars are making a comeback and the advantage of the layout is better handling, braking and lower turn radius: will this work well for monocoque cars?
4) Does the mechanical loss due to FR configuration offset the gain from 3 Cylinder Turbo? Is this along with the additional weight the main reason for lower ARAI FE of the TUV 300?
5) Are FR cars more expensive to maintain?

Last edited by procrj : 23rd October 2015 at 00:01.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 13:42   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
Thanks Karthik !
PDI - done
Full payment - done
Haggled a lot on registration charges but Kundan only agreed to match insurance premium, if I get a lower quote.
Delivery tomorrow 0630 hours !!
Silverknight buddy, didn't hear anything from you yesterday. Guess you are too busy enjoying your tank and forgot to update all of us waiting with bated breath . Did you get the car delivery on time? How has been your first day with the car? Please share your experience with loads of pictures.
Old 23rd October 2015, 18:26   #1131
BANNED

Quote:
If you would have observed the last few pages of this thread, I am the one who is posting multiple messages, feeling excited, but treading with caution .
Yes, indeed, you have been posting regularly and why not? Your enthusiasm for the TUV is evident and your excitement shows - reminds me of my own state during my first few days of Scorpio ownership! Also your posts - as an owner - will help us all in making up our minds.

As for treading with caution - perish the thought! Anyone buying an M&M vehicle does so with eyes wide open to the strengths and weaknesses of the brand. The TUV is certainly breaking new ground in some ways, but I do not believe that this is at the expense of sacrificing the core strengths of the brand.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 19:27   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Silverknight buddy, didn't hear anything from you yesterday. Guess you are too busy enjoying your tank and forgot to update all of us waiting with bated breath . Did you get the car delivery on time? How has been your first day with the car? Please share your experience with loads of pictures.
I could not hold myself and sent a text message to our dear friend Silverknight. He confirmed that he has taken the delivery of his White T8 AMT on the auspicious occasion on Dussera. It seems he is too tied up with his work to spare some time to write his initial impressions over here. Wish I could talk to him and take dictation, so that I could pen it here on his behalf. Nevertheless he has promised that he will be coming up with his initial ownership review by this Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Yes, indeed, you have been posting regularly and why not? Your enthusiasm for the TUV is evident and your excitement shows - reminds me of my own state during my first few days of Scorpio ownership! Also your posts - as an owner - will help us all in making up our minds.
Thank you shashanka for putting yourself in my shoes. I am no doubt excited, but worried a bit that all things should fall in place as planned and I should get my tank before Diwali. Sure I am going to start my initial ownership review thread within a week of getting my TUV.

Quote:
As for treading with caution - perish the thought! Anyone buying an M&M vehicle does so with eyes wide open to the strengths and weaknesses of the brand. The TUV is certainly breaking new ground in some ways, but I do not believe that this is at the expense of sacrificing the core strengths of the brand.
Couple of test drives and I was assured that the core strengths of the brand are still intact. In fact M&M has improved a lot in the areas, which were not their forte, e.g. the interiors, the ride quality, NVH levels etc. I have a feeling that M&M has applied all their learnings from Scorpio, XUV, Quanto etc on this car.
Old 24th October 2015, 05:43   #1133
BHPian

First of all congratulations to Captain Rex and Silverknight on their TUV. My TUV is delayed i was to take delivery on 18th but the vehicle was dispatched late from Chakan and on 19th i came to China so only after i return back to India, the delivery will be done. Meanwhile got a mail from Dealership that my Black TUV T8 is in transit and blocked for me.
nishant kar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 06:41   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think it will be that low. The ARAI certified FE for the manual is 18.5 kmpl, which is decent for its size and weight, but low compared to the competition (read Ecosport, Duster, Creta etc). If driven sanely, it should give at least 16-17 kmpl (just my guess). Will let you know the actual FE figures, once I get my car and start doing the tankful to tankful calculations.
I have a quanto and I get about 14kmpl in city traffic. I am talking about measuring tank full to tank full. Highways usually fetch me around 18. I found MID usually indicating 1 to 2 kms extra than reality.

Completely off topic - AutoIndian - if you remember I had taken the XL sheet you were using sometime in 2006 in the yahoo groups!!!

TUV has to be better than that considering even the ARAI efficiency of Quanto is 17 and TUV is 18.5.
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 08:27   #1135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant kar View Post
Meanwhile got a mail from Dealership that my Black TUV T8 is in transit and blocked for me.
Many congratulations to you too Nishant for booking the TUV, vow a second black on TBHP after Captain Rex. Hope you can get it delivered soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I have a quanto and I get about 14kmpl in city traffic. I am talking about measuring tank full to tank full. Highways usually fetch me around 18. I found MID usually indicating 1 to 2 kms extra than reality. TUV has to be better than that considering even the ARAI efficiency of Quanto is 17 and TUV is 18.5.
Thanks for pitching in deep_bang with your Quanto experience. Its great mileage that you are getting, 18 kmpl against the ARAI certified mileage of 17.21 kmpl. Now compare the Quanto's kerb weight of 1640 kilos against that of TUV, 1590 kilos. Also the low end torque in TUV is comparatively better. I have no doubt that TUV city mileage figures will be better and the highway figures should be in line with that of Quanto or slightly better

Quote:
Completely off topic - AutoIndian - if you remember I had taken the XL sheet you were using sometime in 2006 in the yahoo groups!!!
Fantastic , I used that sheet for my Indica, then the Innova and will now use it for the TUV as well.
Old 24th October 2015, 14:05   #1136
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a heads up for people who are booking the TUV and might cancel it. I had made a booking with payment of Rs 20,000 at Sireesh Auto last month. Despite calling and confirming with the SA last week (on the 16th to be precise) that we are cancelling our booking and dropping him an email on the same day, I didnt receive any confirmation. I dropped him another email a few days ago. Today the SA confirms over the phone that it will take few more days to process and transfer the amount and that he will let me know on Monday.

Really Mahindra? 2 weeks to refund a customer's booking amount?
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 14:36   #1137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian
Fantastic , I used that sheet for my Indica, then the Innova and will now use it for the TUV as well.
Hi AutoIndian,
Just curious. What's this spreadsheet for? To track vehicle running? Vehicle expenses?
Old 24th October 2015, 17:04   #1138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Just a heads up for people who are booking the TUV and might cancel it. I had made a booking with payment of Rs 20,000 at Sireesh Auto last month. Despite calling and confirming with the SA last week (on the 16th to be precise) that we are cancelling our booking and dropping him an email on the same day, I didnt receive any confirmation. I dropped him another email a few days ago. Today the SA confirms over the phone that it will take few more days to process and transfer the amount and that he will let me know on Monday.

Really Mahindra? 2 weeks to refund a customer's booking amount?
Thank you for that heads up neil.jericho. Hope you can get back your booking amount soon. Was yours a pre-launch booking? If yes then you should get the complete amount without any cancellation charges. Any particular reason for cancelling your booking? Just for your information when I did my booking I was told about the below cancellation charges:
  • Normal cancellation charges - Rs 7,500/-
  • Cancelling your name and transferring to your friend/ acquaintance - Rs 5000/-
  • Cancelling your name and transferring to your blood relation - Rs 1000/-
Quote:
Originally Posted by narenteam View Post
Hi AutoIndian,
Just curious. What's this spreadsheet for? To track vehicle running? Vehicle expenses?
You are right narenteam. It is a car log for tracking car's running and maintenance expenses. If you are interested you can have a look at it over here in my Indica ownership thread ---> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2073854

Yesterday I informed my cousin that I had booked a TUV. He said that he would like to test drive the car and off we went to Silver Jubilee showroom today morning. Fortunately the T8 manual test drive car was available as I had informed my Slaes Exec that I am coming. Today I got to test some additional features/ functions:
  • The Bluetooth calling works flawlessly. I struggled to pair my Android phone initially, but once paired it was seamless
  • The micro hybrid also works as expected. Come to a standstill, put the car in neutral, apply the handbrake, lift the left foot off the clutch pedal and the engine stops in 3 seconds.
  • When you want to get started, just press the clutch pedal, the engine starts, slot into first, disengage the handbrake and you are ready to go.
  • The T8 has 4 speakers and the sound quality is quite OK (there are no tweeters). Volume control is from 0 to 30. The level of 8-10 is sufficient enough.
When we returned back to the showroom, we saw a verve blue colored TUV T8 AMT getting readied for delivery. Got to know that it was from pre-launch booking. The tank looked smashing in blue have a look.

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-img_20151024_122416.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-img_20151024_122434.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-img_20151024_123330.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-img_20151024_122724.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-img_20151024_122853.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 20:06   #1139
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention one important observation. In the 3rd picture above, where I have taken the rear shot of the car, I was standing about two feet away from the car. You won't believe the car was idling and even then I was barely able to pick up the idling note. Mahindra seem to have put in great efforts to dampen all those vibrations and noises inherent to a 3 cylinder engine. I had vouched that in my entire life I will never drive a 3 cylinder engine, leave aside buying one, come what may. But just one test drive of the TUV was enough to shatter my perception.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 21:33   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
When we returned back to the showroom, we saw a verve blue colored TUV T8 AMT getting readied for delivery. Got to know that it was from pre-launch booking. The tank looked smashing in blue have a look.
Congratulations to all the new TUV owners. Wishing you lot of happy miles.

Autoindian, hope you get your vehicle delivered before Diwali. Except for few minor issues that I reported in my TD notes, I'm quite satisfied with what is offered in TUV. Unfortunately my wife and elder son did not like the boxy look, but my younger son who is a car enthusiast is sold on TUV(maybe he is tired of me making him visit all new launches for test drives in the last one year) . I'm not sure yet if I'll be going for it. Will wait till new year and decide.

If you get a chance, can you get about the made to order green color option with your showroom guys on the amount of time between order and delivery. And any pictures of it in case someone from your showroom had ordered one.
mrbaddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks