Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2014, 17:20   #1
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Santa Fe recall: For replacing the stop lamp switch

Hyundai Motor India Limited (HMIL) has hopped on to the recall bandwagon.

The South Korean company is recalling 2,437 units of the Santa Fe manufactured between 26 June 2011 and 26 September 2013.

Source: Business Standard

Quote:
Owners of the involved vehicles will be notified in a phased manner to bring in their vehicles for replacing the part. The replacement would be done free of cost.

Last edited by RSR : 24th May 2014 at 17:30. Reason: Including link
RSR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 12:37   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Santa Fe recall: For replacing the stop lamp switch

Hyundai India sure took its own sweet time with the recall in India

This was carried out back in August 2013 in the USA. A defective stop lamp switch could result in the brake lamps not illuminating at all, cruise control not cancelling out and the AT gear lever being stuck in "P". I'm assuming that it basically doesn't recognise that the brake pedal has been pressed.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 13:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This was carried out back in August 2013 in the USA.
Is it because American / European countries are given preference or something else?

It would definitely make sense to start with first-world countries knowing that in India a customer doesn't know how to spell sue while in US a customer could impact Hyundai's bottom line with a single case.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 14:17   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting, I just assumed it to be a part with a simple electrical transmission of a mechanical input as was the case with my vehicle. The part in question is designed as below.

It has a screw system clamped by a bolt with a button on top which is depressed by the brake pedal. The other end has a 2-pin setup to transfer the input electrically to activate the 3 brake lights. However in this case, complex electronics like keyless go/cruise control and anything related to indication of braking cuts off. It's always good to design a car where mechanical overrides electronics first. As per Hyundai website it does say "The brakes will continue to operate normally and brake performance is not affected in any way. Only the switch is affected." Like refrigerator light button here too there's a chance of inputs weakening after years of use though in this case I feel the part vendor hadn't tested them to the fullest.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Santa Fe recall: For replacing the stop lamp switch-stplmp.jpg  

Last edited by dark.knight : 26th May 2014 at 14:19.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 12:56   #5
AVT
BHPian

Hi all.
I have a 2nd gen santa fe 4wd AT.
The car was purchased in February of 2012. For the past couple of weeks there was a problem, whenever I tried to crank the engine the MID displayed "press brake pedal to start" though it was already depressed ( it has that keyless start thing).
Although after a few tries it used to start normally. Later on we figured it was some switch related to the brake pedal which had messed up. Called up Hyundai helpline, they replaced the switch and everything was fine.
But now the ESP and the diff lock warning lights up every now and then. Is this also related to that switch?

Plus, I never got any information from Hyundai regarding this recall.
Old 4th June 2014, 23:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVT View Post
But now the ESP and the diff lock warning lights up every now and then. Is this also related to that switch?

Plus, I never got any information from Hyundai regarding this recall.
Yes. It is the same problem. The same issue had cropped in my earlier 4WD MT too though it went away on its own after some time. I had purchased mine in Oct/2011 and received an official letter of recall notice couple of days back which I have forwarded to the new owner. I guess you too should be getting this letter in a few days. The fix is a trivial one and does not requires more than 30 mins.

In the meantime you may try depressing the brake pedal quite a few times while idling to see if it helps with the issue. The problem occurs with the stop lamp switch not making proper contact with brake pedal mechanism. Please note that brake itself works fine.
entropy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 12:05   #7
AVT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Yes. It is the same problem. The same issue had cropped in my earlier 4WD MT too though it went away on its own after some time. I had purchased mine in Oct/2011 and received an official letter of recall notice couple of days back which I have forwarded to the new owner. I guess you too should be getting this letter in a few days. The fix is a trivial one and does not requires more than 30 mins.

In the meantime you may try depressing the brake pedal quite a few times while idling to see if it helps with the issue. The problem occurs with the stop lamp switch not making proper contact with brake pedal mechanism. Please note that brake itself works fine.
I guess i'll be getting the letter soon as well. Lets see what the recall has to offer, currently Hyundai guys have installed a 'jugaad' switch which has fixed the starting problem.
Although the brakes and all 3 of my brake lights work fine.
I'll try pumping the brakes couple of times and see if the Stability program warning goes off.

Thanks for such a brisk reply.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks