Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2015, 22:54   #121
BHPian

Re: End of the road for the HM Ambassador?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
HM simply introduced new Ambassador variants. It dieselised the old 1489cc engine, which went into the Ambassador. The Ambassador Nova was launched in 1999, followed by the Ambassador 1800 ISZ three years later. The Nova was the last Ambassador powered by the 1489cc petrol engine
The Ambassador 1800 ISZ had under its hood the 75bhp 1800cc Isuzu engine and the option of bucket seats. The dashboard was redesigned. Seatbelts became mandatory.
A small correction. I'm very sure that the 1800 ISZ with redesigned dash was available in 1995 or may be earlier. My dad's friend had one in blue color. It was the most powerful model available at that time. But the brakes were pathetic in such a powerful car. Everytime my dad drove this car, he always mentioned this.
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 16:33   #122
Senior - BHPian

The Nova came in 1989-90 and had the BMC diesel and petrol engine (1.5L). The 1800 ISZ (1.8L Isuzu) came in 1992-93 with different dash (squarish meter console) as opposed to roundish in the Diesel. The Classic came in 1999 (1.5L, 1.8L ISZ) while the 2000 DSZ came in 2000 (2.0L Isuzu diesel non turbo)
amit V8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 19:44   #123
BHPian

Old vs new Ambassadors from BBC series - India on four wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
End of the road for the HM Ambassador?-old-new-anby.jpg  

Ray32825 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 09:42   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
The Nova came in 1989-90 and had the BMC diesel and petrol engine (1.5L).
Didn't the Nova come with BMC 1800 CC petrol engine?
Old 4th March 2015, 18:36   #125
Senior - BHPian

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle6063886.ece
Old 4th March 2015, 23:53   #126
BHPian

My 63 is getting overhauled! Trying to keep it as original as possible. If any of you guys have any sources for old Amby parts in KA or TN, please let me know.
Old 5th March 2015, 23:13   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Classic Car Journeys, a UK-based travel agency, was in Kochi with a group of Ambassador loving British tourists in Oct 2014, as part of their 12-day 'Classic India' trip through South India.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/44822641.cms

And here the author compares Air India with an old Ambassador:

http://www.business-standard.com/art...2501372_1.html

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th March 2015 at 23:20.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 02:07   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray32825 View Post
Old vs new Ambassadors from BBC series - India on four wheels.
Can anybody guide me to the link for this episode?? Tried searching on youtube but in vain.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 17:10   #129
BHPian

Just saw a white Amby with -"On Test" sticker and some temp registration WB02TKxxxx on Theater Road, Kolkata. No other occupant apart from the driver and couldn't make out any testing equipment / sensors. It was making the old Indica like belt whine/noise and the noise was so strong I couldn't make out what engine it was running. Even if HM is on to something, it sure doesn't look or sound even remotely promising.
Old 1st September 2015, 17:28   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Just saw a white Amby with -"On Test" sticker and some temp registration WB02TKxxxx on Theater Road, Kolkata. No other occupant apart from the driver and couldn't make out any testing equipment / sensors. It was making the old Indica like belt whine/noise and the noise was so strong I couldn't make out what engine it was running. Even if HM is on to something, it sure doesn't look or sound even remotely promising.
Must be an unsold inventory car with some dealer (probably Austin Distributors). There is no movement in the factory.
Old 6th September 2015, 00:49   #131
BHPian

Nothing has changed in Kerala. There are Ambys all over the place, a bunch in taxi stands & a private owner here & there. Happy part is most are either revised classic or grand. The ones with old type handles are a rare sight now. Forgot to mention, majority are looking brand new.

Hoping against hope something is cooking at Hindmotor.
Old 14th September 2015, 17:18   #132
BHPian

I own a 2005 Model Metallic cherry red Amby avigo and Boy does she sure turn heads. Its an example for luxury and a benchmark for the most smoothest comfortable ride ever.

Although with the other cars in the stable, She is my most preferred ride and is my daily driver. Love it. I would book another amby if it was available off the shelf right now. This car doesn't deserve to die, And I am sure HM is not over yet. They are gonna be back and Hope that they do.
yamaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 23:20   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

In Kolkata, the Ambassador capital of India (wonder whether it still is ???) the scenario is quite different. Even about a decade and a half back nearly 60 to 70 % of all the privately owned cars were Ambassadors. I remember the Ambassador - Premier/Fiat years when even brand Fiat or Premier was shooed away by private car buyers, saying these were totally unfit for the rough and tough driving conditions on Kolkata roads. Hence the PAL made cars were in a minority and the dealer whose showroom was located on the Chowringhee Road beside the ITC building sold not many cars. Almost all my relatives preferred the ubiquitous Ambassador. The taxis were nearly 100 % Ambassadors of all hues, from the Mark I to 4 with the 1489 cc OHV petrol engines. Older Ambassadors may have had the side valve 1476 cc BMC engines. There was no SC order and taxis would run for 30 years, at least.

Dieselisation happened for taxis since the early 1990's and private car buyers too preferred the diesel, when the diesel car sales opened up for the general public for private cars. The diesel cars were sold only to commercial car buyers earlier (taxi trade) as per the govt policy.

The proliferation of Ambassadors reached its peak in the 1970's and early 1980's. The Maruti 800 broke all sales records for the next brand (other than Ambassador) must be from the late 1980's. It shattered the myth that delicate cars were not meant for Kolkata roads.

From the mid 1990's, many other brands came and the Ambassador's position as numero uno was threatened. Though firmly on the saddle in the taxi trade, its reign as the Queen of private cars was nearing the end.

The turn of the century saw many, many other brands proliferate as private cars with Maruti and Hyundai being the most sought after brands.Private car owners preferred other brands increasingly. No loyalty to the brand "Ambassador" or any mercy was shown. For many Kolkatans born in the 1960's and later first ride from the hospital to home was either in a private Ambassador or an Ambassador taxi. Most of them learnt driving on the Ambassador. But the average Kolkatan was ruthless to the Ambassador and no nostalgic memories, emotions and so on mattered. Very few buyers preferred buying Ambassadors as private cars.

The taxi trade was, is and will forever be loyal to Ambassadors. While riding taxis, nearly all drivers speak up about the mighty Ambassador and what they all felt about it, when called upon to do so. They are too sad that they have to compromise with the newer brands like the Maruti Swift Tour, that rules the new taxi market now. Kolkata that was once mighty and the most sought after market by HM, became miniscule during the past one decade as only taxis were sold in the Kolkata market.

Today, very few private Ambassadors can be spotted on the roads of Kolkata. If some are seen, these are owned by the government or by private firms/ companies. The taxis are being culled phase wise, as the 15 year plus life of a taxi in metros is banned, as per the SC orders. Though still in a majority, Ambassador taxis are sure to reduce in numbers, progressively.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 15th September 2015 at 23:26.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 22:20   #134
BHPian

An old ad for the Mark II
Attached Thumbnails
End of the road for the HM Ambassador?-amby-ii.jpg  

Ray32825 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 11:46   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys,
I am looking for that old print ad of ambassador stuck in a traffic jam in Kolkata with the tag line "it's always there". Tried to google but can't find it. Can someone share the image please. It's a classic!

Most Viewed