Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2014, 12:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Datsun starts testing GO+ MPV in India

Like someone said, there aren't too many Go hatchbacks visible on our (Mumbai) roads so it does look like the Datsun brand has not been accepted too well in Indian markets. I am not so sure about tier 2 cities but I doubt Datsun can make inroads in tier 2 cities where Maruti reigns supreme. As for this station wagon, it can't compete with Ertiga, at best it can hope to fight it out with the Chevy Enjoy. I have a feeling this car will 'Go' as fast as it comes in our market .
Old 29th May 2014, 12:42   #17
BHPian

Well, I don’t think GO is a failure as such, Datsun is a new brand & selling ~2500 cars per month is not that bad. Datsung go+ will be a different story & can be a game changer for Nissan. Its launched in Indonesia already for less than 100 million IDR that’s around 5.5 lakh INR. A 5+2 seater around 5-6 Lakhs could be a big hit in India.
Old 29th May 2014, 13:17   #18
Team-BHP Support

We covered the Datsun Go+ in detail during the 2014 Auto Expo. This thread has all details you need to know on the sub 4m Datsun GO+ MPV.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post3364994 (Datsun @ Auto Expo 2014)
Old 29th May 2014, 14:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Like someone said, there aren't too many Go hatchbacks visible on our (Mumbai) roads so it does look like the Datsun brand has not been accepted too well in Indian markets.
As for this station wagon, it can't compete with Ertiga, at best it can hope to fight it out with the Chevy Enjoy. I have a feeling this car will 'Go' as fast as it comes in our market .
It can only compete when it is priced 20% lower than the Ertiga. And then every one planning for Ertiga will give this a look.
Also remember, if the 1.5k Diesel Engine is brought in for this, a lot of commercial vehicle operators will give this a serious thought because of its low price point and the reliable diesel heart.

I feel that Datsun should have come out with this first, before the Go Hatch. Entry level Hatchback is already overcrowded. Whereas the entry level MUV still doesn't have much competition.

It all depends on the pricing, for which we will have to wait and watch.

EDIT: I feel the low powered 1.2L 3cy Petrol engine would be a disaster for this big a car, unless they tune it to churn out more power.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 29th May 2014 at 14:35.
Old 17th October 2014, 11:44   #20
Team-BHP Support

Datsun has commenced production of the GO+ in India.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 11:56   #21
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The return of the station wagon?

Although Datsun would want us to believe the Go+ is a compact MPV, it is more of a 5+2 seater station wagon/estate. It looks like one for sure!

We've had station wagons in the past - Maruti Suzuki Baleno Altura, Opel Corsa Swing, Fiat Siena Weekend (and its "cross" twin - Adventure) and Tata Indigo Marina. Even before that, there was the Tata Estate. There were a couple of much older ones too, which didn't become too popular. All of them failed to click due to different reasons. The perception factor also had a role to play in general - these highly practical cars were regarded as the utilitarian versions of their sedan counterparts.

The Go+ could in fact change all that and actually succeed. It does have certain things in its favour. It can seat seven (5+2) theoretically, but Indians would be tempted to carry more people (helped by the front passenger seat), it is compact (< 4m) with a tight turning circle, is drivable and peppy (68PS powering 794 kg), has a sorted suspension and dynamics, is fuel efficient and most importantly, is going to be very affordable.

Considering the sales potential of the car, Datsun should not omit safety features! Airbags and ABS should be provided at least as options, and seat belts should be of the 3-point ELR type. While they're at it, they should put a lid on the glovebox and provide better overall insulation. Split seats for the middle and last rows would greatly add to the practicality.

I wouldn't be surprised if this comes with a killer price tag and manages to outsell the Go hatchback.
the truth is, ertiga and mobilio are also station wagons too, marketed as MPVs.

as for GO+ everything depends on the price. I saw a review on tv, the interiors look very basic. If they pass on all that cost cutting to the customers there could be a market.
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 15:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

This car will hardly make any dent on Ertiga or Mobilio. It might outsell the Go at best. It has integrated headrests, which is a big turnoff. Middle row space looks miserable. It should have made more sense to sell it as a 5 seater stationwagon than as a 7-seater.

The car should atleast be selling at 6-7 lakhs ballpark. For the money paid, you don't get proper space and you get cost cutting interiors. It might work fine with A or B1 segment car, for a C1 segment buyer all this might not appeal (less learnt from Etios).

I don't see any definitive advantage with this car against the segment leaders Ertiga and Mobilio

This makes me think, Ford brought the Fusion far ahead of its time. Why didn't it really become popular. After all Duster, Ecosport, Ertiga, Mobilio are all largely stationwagon maybe with a slightly beefed up GC. Ecosport and Fusion can't sell side by side anyways.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 15:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

That 2nd pic from opening post reminds me of the Hanseat somehow... dont know how my brain realtes to that :-P
Old 12th November 2014, 13:16   #24
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The Go+ could in fact change all that and actually succeed. It does have certain things in its favour. It can seat seven (5+2) theoretically, but Indians would be tempted to carry more people (helped by the front passenger seat), it is compact (< 4m) with a tight turning circle, is drivable and peppy (68PS powering 794 kg), has a sorted suspension and dynamics, is fuel efficient and most importantly, is going to be very affordable.

Considering the sales potential of the car, Datsun should not omit safety features! Airbags and ABS should be provided at least as options, and seat belts should be of the 3-point ELR type. While they're at it, they should put a lid on the glovebox and provide better overall insulation. Split seats for the middle and last rows would greatly add to the practicality.

I wouldn't be surprised if this comes with a killer price tag and manages to outsell the Go hatchback.
I humbly take back my previous comment on the Go+

I seriously feel Nissan/Datsun should not launch this vehicle in the Indian market at all (or anywhere else, for that matter), at least in its current state. It would also be good if they immediately stop production of the Datsun Go right away.

After the absolute disaster that the Go turned out to be on the Global-NCAP crash test, my views on the Go & Go+ have taken a U-turn. Even adding two airbags to these cars is not going to make any improvement to the safety of occupants in the event of a crash, as correctly noted in the NCAP report.

So my request to Nissan/Datsun is to refrain from launching the Go+ and stop production of the Go.

They'll have to go back (no pun intended) to the drawing board and make structural improvements to the car, improvements that are good enough to make the Go & Go+ (equipped with 2 airbags) get a 4* rating on the Global/Latin/Asean NCAP crash test. It should have a cabin structure that is good enough to be rated as stable after the 64 kmph frontal offset impact, and it should also meet the UN ECE 95 side crash safety regulation. Needless to say, 2 airbags should be made a standard feature on these cars. And the rear seats (at least the outer ones) should be equipped with proper retractable 3-point safety belts!

They can then release the Go+ (and re-release the Go) in India and other markets they were meant for.

Making the Go & Go+ safe enough to get a 4* rating should not be that difficult. These cars are based on the Nissan Micra's V platform, which is good enough to get a 4* rating on the Euro-NCAP and other NCAPs. They only need to completely undo all the shocking cost-cutting measures they performed on this platform to obtain the Datsun cars, which severely compromised their structural integrity. And make airbags a standard feature, of course, apart from using proper seat-belts.

After doing all the above, Nissan should themselves come forward and get the improved cars crash tested and certified by Global-NCAP.

Lest I forget, Nissan should offer a good buyback scheme for all the Datsun cars they've sold. Customers should be able to drive in their cars and drive out in the new, improved & safer Datsuns after paying nothing, or a small amount towards taxes etc.

This is the only way Nissan can save face and gain some respect for the resurrected Datsun brand name in India and elsewhere. Otherwise the brand itself deserves to go down the path towards oblivion, just as quickly as it (re-)emerged!

P.S.: My apologies if this comment sounded like a rant!

Last edited by RSR : 12th November 2014 at 13:42.
RSR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 15:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering that the only car that will compete with this Go+ is Chevy Enjoy because that is the car our cabbies like.

Ertiga and Mobilio continue to sell in their numbers. Go+ is purely for the Cab segment is what i feel.
Old 12th November 2014, 16:23   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Datsun has commenced production of the GO+ in India.
And no one bats an eyelid, after the dismal structural safety the Go has..!!

Deplorable, I tell you.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 18:49   #27
Team-BHP Support

Datsun starts testing GO+ MPV in India

Why do people feel this will compete against Ertiga / Mobilio? It's a sub-4m car with the same wheelbase and interiors as the Go.

Cost cutting would be extreme as we would know. My guess is that the Go+ would be priced in the level of hatchbacks like Swift and not in the level of compact MPVs like Ertiga.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th November 2014 at 18:53.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 14:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Is that another recipe for disaster.

Datsun should try and get its negative image corrected first after the NCAP episode than launching a product that people do not care for.

Also, launching a MPV with a petrol only engine will not find takers in the cabbies as well.

What is the strategy?
Old 14th November 2014, 16:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
After launching the GO+ MPV in Indonesia earlier this month, Datsun, the budget brand of Nissan, has started testing the car in India. Attachment 1244715
Some how it looks very odd / below par and a generation or two older. The looks are subjective though .
Old 14th November 2014, 16:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Just wondering that the only car that will compete with this Go+ is Chevy Enjoy because that is the car our cabbies like.

Ertiga and Mobilio continue to sell in their numbers. Go+ is purely for the Cab segment is what i feel.
Cabbies have better standards than the common man. They need highly reliable spacious vehicles that can withstand any abuse, since they have no idea where the person who hires them would ask them to go. Most of the cabs I've seen are actually good, spacious and comfortable cars, though it may not be giving the best driving experience and features.

Innova, Indigo/Indica, Verito, Dzire Tour, Etios are all much better products compared to the Go+. I seriously doubt if they would be able to sell this contraption to cabbies either.

I remember a few M800 CNG operating in Hyderabad a few years back but soon, they stopped 800s and changed to Indica.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks