Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2014, 17:52   #121
BHPian

Re: Our Audi A6 with multiple problems, now Audi wants to change CD player for a stuc

I only wonder at this horrible experience. Many times its not only the cost of repairs but the respect, consideration and the understanding of situation that one hopes for. My only thought is, and pardon my naivety in asking this, if the defect is classified as a manufacturing defect, and the car is still in warranty, how can the dealer / surveyor deny the claim? I mean surely there must be a legal responsibility for these manufacturers. I mean, buying a 50 lac vehicle is different than buying a 5 lac one. or at least, it ought to be.

Going off topic, but not too far, I can vouch for what I am going to state now. I have seen authorized automobile dealer's workshop staff - workshop mechanics, service engineers, and service head, each having his own monetary sales target for the month. Usually its few lac rupees for junior engineer (divided in to two parts - "parts" and "labor" sales) and is in incremental tiers for the senior engineers, service center manager, and so on. I guess many times when the workshop staff deny claims, or cite warranty issues trying to push customers to give in to their fake smiles and "dont worry, main hoon na" way, it is actually to meet their targets. Additionally, even claim surveyors have their own targets which they try to meet in a similar fashion, i.e. by denying justified claims, stating absolute lies to the customer, and many times, taking customers for a ride. The only difference is that while for service center staff its earning revenue, for the insurance claim's surveyor it is the saving cost for the insurance company. I have had instances myself where first the service center staff tried to discourage me from filing for an insurance claim, and then the claims surveyor tried to deny the claim on some flimsy grounds. On both the occasions, I could only resolve the issue by directly writing to the head of respective companies, threatening them with taking them to courts or insurance ombudsman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponkermania View Post
The next day, after MUCH yelling and screaming at Audi offices, service centres and helplines, we finally get someone to look at the tyre, and he attests that it is a manufacturing defect. But Audi puts their hands up saying, sorry, tyres aren't covered in warranty! But don't worry, Audi will, very graciously, offer a 10% discount on a new tyre, which they will provide at...

please be seated for this...

Rs. 65,000 only!

Old 7th June 2014, 18:22   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our Audi A6 with multiple problems, now Audi wants to change CD player for a stuc

Quote:
I'm eagerly waiting for the day the high-end Japs (Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, etc.) come in and clobber the Germans.
+1 to that.
I think there are quite a few of us waiting to see that day. Hopefully it will be sooner than later once the economy is on the mend.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 18:42   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
+1 to that.
I think there are quite a few of us waiting to see that day. Hopefully it will be sooner than later once the economy is on the mend.
Amen to that, my brother!

If you look at it, at least as far as the Indian auto market goes, in every segment where the Japs and the Germans compete, the Germans get quite the thrashing. The only place where that didn't seem to happen was the D1 segment (Cruze, Civic, Laura, Corolla, etc.), where the Laura sold quite well, to the point where the Civic was discontinued, and the Corolla had a model change to compete. Now of course, with Skoda's after-sales reputation, and the new Corolla looking like, from global reviews, to be a fairly competent and desirable car, the Octavia may not be top dog for too long.
Ponkermania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 19:19   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amen to that, my brother!

If you look at it, at least as far as the Indian auto market goes, in every segment where the Japs and the Germans compete, the Germans get quite the thrashing. The only place where that didn't seem to happen was the D1 segment (Cruze, Civic, Laura, Corolla, etc.), where the Laura sold quite well, to the point where the Civic was discontinued, and the Corolla had a model change to compete. Now of course, with Skoda's after-sales reputation, and the new Corolla looking like, from global reviews, to be a fairly competent and desirable car, the Octavia may not be top dog for too long.
Isn't the Hyundai Elantra the champ in the D1 segment? I think it is - in which case the Germans are the kings only in the higher than D1 segments.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 18:08   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Isn't the Hyundai Elantra the champ in the D1 segment? I think it is - in which case the Germans are the kings only in the higher than D1 segments.
My mistake then, I thought it was the Octavia. Which again, just goes to show, the Germans are kings only in segments where they don't compete with the Japs or Koreans.

I hope some bigshot in the Jap/Korean car company reads this, and gives us our reliable luxury!
Old 8th June 2014, 18:30   #126
BHPian

Contacting Audi may help, however, generally, the latest trend that big companies especially out here in India follow is that the aftersales team is trained and equipped to find means wash off their hands from the problem rather than fix it. Moreover, this attitude exists among all types of products and respected brands.

Meanwhile, we see Japanese brands like Honda, etc giving up on selling their luxury cars in India as we Indians have sidelined these brands in favour of alternatives from German companies such as Audi, etc. for being deficient of a few frills that the Germans offer. However, rest assured, these Japanese brands surely make much..much reliable cars than any of these cars that are in our market. I'd choose an Accord or a Camry any day!
filhosdegoa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 19:16   #127
BHPian

@Ponkermania:

I always thought the tyre manufacturing defects are covered by the OEM, the car company sources the tyres from, and a claim adjustor from that tyre company is supposed to have a look at the tyre and approve/deny replacements.

I have read either here in team-bhp or somewhere, about a hyundai dealer, offering to bear 50% of the new tyre charges - as a goodwill gesture, when a recently purchased car's tyre got a sidewall cut. A stark comparison vs the attitude of the audi delaer selling atleast 10x more expensive cars.

It was my dream to own an audi, not anymore!!
Raghav_K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 19:32   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, rest assured, these Japanese brands surely make much..much reliable cars than any of these cars that are in our market. I'd choose an Accord or a Camry any day!
And add to that the german cars are taking the cheaper route with respect to interiors in some of the models while the japanese ones are adding the features that came in these german cars like 10-15 years back now . The compromise between these japanese and the german car are definitely there. Example,I mean my MKV jetta feels atleast a couple of notch better than the accord i am driving here of the same/similar version. That was then.

But the current generation japanese cars are just loaded with features that it does make sense to start looking at reliability for long term ownership if thats in your mind. The lease model that works well in some of the countries enables easier and better access to these german models compared to India.

In India with the option to only buy and not lease makes it a must to look at what service is offered from each brand and these incidents only makes it easier for japanese brands to bring back the newer version loaded with options.

And common, the sales of these german cars in India is with someone who has surplus to manage service and parts and they could care less if something breaks and the german manufacturer demands 2L to fix say brakes. For others its just a headache to own a jerman.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 22:01   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

VW strikes close to home!
My father in laws three year old vento,the steering locked and there was no way to unlock it, and has been flatbedded to the service Centre.
Now, it's been a few days, and apparently, some module has to be shipped over, rather, has to be collected in person for security issues. ETA, couple of weeks!!

Come on, this is a medium budget car, usually bought as the sole vehicle by people, and you're treating me as if it's the PMs car that has come in for armor replacement!
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 22:39   #130
WYN

It's really appalling to know how Audi India addresses such after-sales service concerns. This is pretty much the case with all luxury car manufacturers I guess. They don't care to know that they are taking Indian customers for a ride. But I promise you it's unintentional though, BECAUSE most Dealers & National operations are "INCAPABLE" of running such operations. I don't know in what better words to write this disgust.

The last time I was at a dealership with a minor warranty problem of Window Regulator noise, I was told "Sir, we have to ask the factory Sir & we will get back to you as soon as possible"... I mean seriously...???

If I were the head-honcho at AUDI India after-sales service operations, and in anticipation of any warranty failures and And if I knew say a certain Transmission or any component has to be sourced from Brazil or outside India and because of our commitment to Indian customers and because we are here for the long haul.... I would at least have a robust inventory of Engines & Transmissions to start with of each model on sales at Audi Showrooms today... Ready to be dispatched to any of my dealers across India!!!

Does it sound like Audi India could do better than what I just proposed above??? He'll ya!!!
WYN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 14:30   #131
BHPian

Quote:

I've asked the service centre if I could change that one tyre to something else, or even change all 4 tyres to something else while keeping the dimensions the same (which I'm sure I could get for about half of what Audi charges for one tyre), but the service advisor told me not to, because that then voids the warranty. Apparently, if you modify the car in any manner at all, the warranty will be void for related components, which in the case would be the wheels, suspension, TPMS, and maybe even the drivetrain.

I really don't want to take the risk with the warranty, given how unreliable these German cars are proving to be in India. I wouldn't have thought twice with the Japs or the Koreans, but then again, I probably wouldn't be in this situation with a Jap or Korean car.

As long as you have tyres that are with the same or better rating than recommended in the manual, and of the exact size as mentioned for the stock car, I dont see how any manufacturer can make your warranty void on related components. This is ridiculous. What if your tyre gets a cut? Can you not purchase one from the after market ever within the warranty period? And what if you go for an extension on the warranty for four years?

Perhaps one of the members can enlighten me on this.

P.S. Can this be termed anti-competitive behaviour?
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 15:16   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
As long as you have tyres that are with the same or better rating than recommended in the manual, and of the exact size as mentioned for the stock car, I dont see how any manufacturer can make your warranty void on related components. This is ridiculous. What if your tyre gets a cut? Can you not purchase one from the after market ever within the warranty period? And what if you go for an extension on the warranty for four years?

Perhaps one of the members can enlighten me on this.

P.S. Can this be termed anti-competitive behaviour?
You make excellent points latentpotential, but Audi goes as far as associating the serial number of the tyres that come with the car, and, if there is a serial number mismatch, they won't honour warranty.

Apparently, according to the service advisor, the only way to update that serial number is to buy new tyres from Audi, at their exhorbitant rates. I had planned on separately importing one tyre myself (since the tyre dealers I went to didn't stock that make and model of tyre), but the serial number will then mismatch.
Old 10th June 2014, 15:36   #133
BHPian

Quote:
You make excellent points latentpotential, but Audi goes as far as associating the serial number of the tyres that come with the car, and, if there is a serial number mismatch, they won't honour warranty.

Apparently, according to the service advisor, the only way to update that serial number is to buy new tyres from Audi, at their exhorbitant rates. I had planned on separately importing one tyre myself (since the tyre dealers I went to didn't stock that make and model of tyre), but the serial number will then mismatch.
Cant edit my earlier post. Please see this link from Michelin in the UK: http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/brands/audi/a6 You can select which exact model of the A6 you have, including engine type, rim size and model year, and you will end up with at least two recommendations of tyres from Michelin. I am sure it is similar with other vendors, even if they dont have such a fancy online setup for the user to choose a tyre from.

I think it is time to give such vendors and their preposterous practices Hell.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 15:53   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Cant edit my earlier post. Please see this link from Michelin in the UK: http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/brands/audi/a6 You can select which exact model of the A6 you have, including engine type, rim size and model year, and you will end up with at least two recommendations of tyres from Michelin. I am sure it is similar with other vendors, even if they dont have such a fancy online setup for the user to choose a tyre from.

I think it is time to give such vendors and their preposterous practices Hell.
Thanks for the link, didn't know they had that online.

My concern here isn't finding the same tyre, or it's replacements. Everyone knows that the make and model of tyre doesn't make a blind bit of difference, as long as the dimensions and rating remains the same, as does Audi. Only problem is, if there is a failure of any related component in the future, I don't want to take the risk of them blaming the tyre and then me having to pay large quantities of money to fix things, for no fault of mine.

I think this stupidity is a VAG thing, as highighted by many similar shocking stories across VAG cars.

At any rate, thank you latentpotential for the link, even though it doesn't help me at the moment, I'm sure it will help me and other forum members in the future. Your effort is much appreciated.

Maybe you should go and teach customer service at Audi!
Old 10th June 2014, 20:07   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The next day, after MUCH yelling and screaming at Audi offices, service centres and helplines, we finally get someone to look at the tyre, and he attests that it is a manufacturing defect. But Audi puts their hands up saying, sorry, tyres aren't covered in warranty! But don't worry, Audi will, very graciously, offer a 10% discount on a new tyre, which they will provide at...

please be seated for this...

Rs. 65,000 only!

For ONE tyre! We tried to fight it out, but honestly, we were too shocked and disillusioned to take it further. For now, we've got the tyre sealed with a patch on the inside, and we don't take the car on the highway anymore, but this is how Audi treats it's customers.

I have had Marutis, Hondas, Hyundais and Fords, and I can't imagine any of them treating me like that, even though all those cars put together didn't cost as much as the A4. If Audi wishes to treat its customers like this, then I wish them all the best, because it won't be long before they go the Skoda way.
Its shocking that brand like AUDI doesnt cover the tyre under warranty. Even tata replaced my indixa xeta tyre free of cost as there was a manufacuring fault.
tushky is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks