Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 18:43   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Our Audi A6 with multiple problems, now Audi wants to change CD player for a stuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
However I would think that Audi quality is at fault if the player allows two cds to be insereted in one slot - and even plays a disc when another one is still there! Good technology is supposed to be foolproof.
+1. Even I was wondering the same. There have been instances when I have tried inserting a CD, only to discover that the slot is not empty. All these times, the second CD just refuses to go in ( unless probably you practically shove it inside the slot).

Harbir is your car used by a driver a lot who might have forced the second CD in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why don't you start using pen drives / bluetooth?!
Old habits die hard.

But usually speaking the quality of music with a CD is much much better than the USB drives/bluetooth streaming.

Last edited by GTO : 18th July 2014 at 10:59. Reason: Quoted post deleted....hence
drmohitg is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 19:06   #152
BANNED

Re: Our Audi A6 with multiple problems, now Audi wants to change CD player for a stuc

Until Audi opened the CD player and handed the two CD's in the hands of Harbir, he didn't imagine it in his dreams that this was the problem. How could Harbir do any analysis (pre or post)?!

One cannot remember and think that the CD's collection that he has is missing and it could possibly be inside the CD player.

Relax buddy.
Anurag.

Last edited by GTO : 18th July 2014 at 11:00. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 16th July 2014, 19:25   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

How many of us would be comfortable taking these luxury german cars to a after market establishment? And given the history of problems in the car, any owner would assume that bad luck has stuck again. I would really find it difficult to trust a after market shop with these sophisticated cars. If they botch up something then who takes the blame?

Last edited by GTO : 18th July 2014 at 11:00. Reason: Quoted post deleted
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 20:03   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
So the car is back from the dealer. It turns out that there were two CDs in the player. It was not Audi's fault. How the second CD went in and started to play when there was another CD already in there is mystery, but suffice to say that Audi's quality was not at fault. I thank Audi was fixing this for free and not charging me for the labor.
So what is the status on the warranty of the ICE now? Is it intact or void now?
Old 16th July 2014, 20:31   #155
BHPian

Quote:

Update:

What a piece of crap.

I am going to make sure nobody I know ever buys an Audi. Unreliable junk being backed in India by policies designed to fool customers who were foolish enough to throw 50 lacs in Audi's lap.

Additional information shared on 5th June:
Now that the CD player issue has been sorted out, I suggest the mods change the title of the thread.

I would like to know the details of how Audi n the dealer dealt with the other more serious issues the car faced.

I'm Not questioning the owner's honesty or integrity here, but looking retrospectively, the outburst against Audi maybe was not warranted!

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th July 2014 at 01:30. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 21:29   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So the car is back from the dealer. It turns out that there were two CDs in the player. It was not Audi's fault. How the second CD went in and started to play when there was another CD already in there is mystery, but suffice to say that Audi's quality was not at fault. I thank Audi was fixing this for free and not charging me for the labor.
From very early on in this thread I said:

Quote:
So whilst everybody seems to be deeply offended by a CD getting stuck, there might a reason for it. Nothing to do with Audi or the CD player as such
Next time I suggest it might be an idea to get all the facts before condemning! Until you really fix something you really don't know what is wrong to start with.

Glad to hear that all the problems appear to be sorted. The Audi A6 is a very nice and desirable car. I certainly enjoyed mine for several years. Never had any troubles with mine, but sometimes you can get very unlucky.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 22:09   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Harbir for the update. Good that it all worked out.

Just curious to know, is your car equipped with in-dash 6-CD changer? Unlike single-CD players, these have lot of moving parts and can get stuck. I don't think it is possible to inadvertently insert two CDs into a single-CD player. I would be pretty mad if anyone told me this is "user error" irrespective of what CD player the car has.

Last edited by noopster : 17th July 2014 at 12:49. Reason: Let's avoid personal comments, please!
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 22:57   #158
BHPian

Type "two cds stock" in the google search bar and see what all it throws up. This is a common issue with slot loading CD players, and that includes macbooks, WIIs etc. It is good that the OP admitted his mistake, and wrote the apology post than running away, like most fake and non-fake Audi/VW/Skoda horror thread starters do. But it is still sad that some VW bashers are not ready to leave the company alone. Please move on to other threads, there is nothing left to milk here.
Old 17th July 2014, 01:35   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
From very early on in this thread I said:

Quote:
So whilst everybody seems to be deeply offended by a CD getting stuck, there might a reason for it. Nothing to do with Audi or the CD player as such
Next time I suggest it might be an idea to get all the facts before condemning!
Not sure if you read the post but Harbir mentioned that the player took a CD while a CD was already in the player & also played it, this is clearly a fault of the CD Player & not just user error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Now that the CD player issue has been sorted out, I suggest the mods change the title of the thread.

I would like to know the details of how Audi n the dealer dealt with the other more serious issues the car faced.
+1 whats the status of other more serious issues? I guess he will have to wait it to see if they are gone or still there?

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th July 2014 at 01:36.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 03:13   #160
BHPian

It's natural for Mr. Harbir to suspect that Audi is at fault first, because he has gone through so much with the car. I'm happy that his issues have been resolved. I too have had faced a lot of problems with my 2011 S 500. Will soon start a thread when I get time because there's a lot to write, as it's 3.5 years of harassment and problems I've faced with the car. I feel unlucky to have got a lemon of a car out of all the S 500's.
Shivjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 10:47   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

I am having mixed thoughts about the thread. On one side I am quite happy that @Harbir didn't choose to hide his mistake and owned it up. On the other side, as a lot of people mentioned, did he jump the gun?!

My thoughts about the CD issue:

1. Loading two CDs could be a common problem; but Harbir also mentioned that the CD played. I expect Audi (being premium) to have better control on such things. My 10K worth Kenwood does NOT even allow 2 CDs to be inserted; unless forcefully pushed inside. So a solution is definitely possible.

2. Had Audi attended to the issue first, Harbir would NOT have gone bonkers; it's ONLY after the outburst Harbir had a chance with the dealer.

3. Audi definitely deserves a round of applause for (the CD episode) the gesture of waving off the repair charges in spite of the user error. But this is NOT the end of it - there are bigger problems with the car which needs attention.

4. My sister did once push an extra CD into the Kenwood; but it didn't play. It was NOT much of a fuss to take both the CDs out as well.

5. As a solution to multiple CDs inserting; I usually do a "eject" before I load a CD, if the car is used by some one else before I drive. This makes sure we don't have this problem. Plus, I never push the CD in - it should be sucked inside if we insert 10% of the CD into the lip of the player.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th July 2014 at 10:52.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 10:50   #162
Senior - BHPian

What about the much more serious problems listed under sl. no. 1 through 4 in his opening post? Those are far more serious than a busted CD player. Why no comment on those?
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 12:05   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So the car is back from the dealer. It turns out that there were two CDs in the player.
Quote:
I didn't know it occurred from my end. I hadn't driven the car in the month, I put the CD in, it went it, it started to play and when it came time to eject it, it wouldn't eject. I had no recollection of the other CD.
Harbir, I don't have a CD player in my cars so tested this out at a few CD/DVD players I have at home that have slot loading mechanisms (like PS3s or my Apple PC). None of them would accept a second CD/DVD is one was already inside. Are these standard "red book" CDs that you used?

The Audio CD player should NOT have accepted the second CD. While you are on this have Audi check why the second CD was accepted to begin with. See the you tube video below. The CD is guided into place by a set of calipers one of which is sprung. A second CD should not be able to load if the first CD is in the drive.

Last edited by navin : 17th July 2014 at 13:18.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 12:07   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am having mixed thoughts about the thread. On one side I am quite happy that @Harbir didn't choose to hide his mistake and owned it up. On the other side, as a lot of people mentioned, did he jump the gun?!

My thoughts about the CD issue:

1. Loading two CDs could be a common problem; but Harbir also mentioned that the CD played. I expect Audi (being premium) to have better control on such things. My 10K worth Kenwood does NOT even allow 2 CDs to be inserted; unless forcefully pushed inside. So a solution is definitely possible.

2. Had Audi attended to the issue first, Harbir would NOT have gone bonkers; it's ONLY after the outburst Harbir had a chance with the dealer.

3. Audi definitely deserves a round of applause for (the CD episode) the gesture of waving off the repair charges in spite of the user error. But this is NOT the end of it - there are bigger problems with the car which needs attention.

4. My sister did once push an extra CD into the Kenwood; but it didn't play. It was NOT much of a fuss to take both the CDs out as well.

5. As a solution to multiple CDs inserting; I usually do a "eject" before I load a CD, if the car is used by some one else before I drive. This makes sure we don't have this problem. Plus, I never push the CD in - it should be sucked inside if we insert 10% of the CD into the lip of the player.
That was a pretty balanced assessment.

I do think Harbir jumped the gun. Audi did not ask for 85K to get the CD out as claimed initially, they asked for 85K to replace the unit. In the Ecosport thread somebody had an issue with a broken USB slot. Ford wouldn't replace just the slot, but only the entire head unit, for which they asked for 18K. Now, you can look at it as 18K to fix a USB slot, depending on how much you are pissed off with the whole affair. True, Audi didn't try to repair it, but then service centers, ordinarily, do not repair a part. If it has an independent part no, they replaces it. Some do try, depending on how much they are willing to spend time on it.

Anyway, Harbir managed to make them fix it up for free, thanks to all the bad publicity he generated for them through this thread. Not an ideal solution for every ill, but glad it worked for him.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 13:17   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Anyway, Harbir managed to make them fix it up for free, thanks to all the bad publicity he generated for them through this thread. Not an ideal solution for every ill, but glad it worked for him.
In Harbir's first post he listed some other issues. For example Airbag module failure, HVAC control module failure, coolant containment failure, DSG transmission failure. I have not read the whole thread but have these also been resolved? Harbir?
navin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks