Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2014, 21:14   #16
BHPian

re: Kerala: Seatbelts mandatory for all occupants (front & rear)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Enforcement is already on as well.
Now, this is something on which I'm positively surprised. I'm really happy that my home state has taken the initiative on something which would have been done long ago across the country.
Every time I visited Kerala, my father and father-in-law used to ridicule me and my wife wearing for seatbelts. I used to give them the example of Malayalam cine star Jagathy, who is still recovering from a crash which ironically happened very near to my wife's place (He suffered massive injuries while his drive who was belted in, walked away without a scratch). Now they don't have a choice
A350XWB is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 02:11   #17
BHPian

Excellent move. Hope the enforcement authorities instill some sense as well into those who violate, rather than just ticketing and letting them go. Some pictures of crashes or even examples of unfortunate incidents for prominent people like Jagathi and Munde (with all due respects to the two) will do. It might change the mindset of at least 25% of people who get caught.

Am loving my state and Mr. Rishiraj Singh. Need more people like him. I can already see a difference in the narrow highways we have in Kerala. Insane speeding has certainly reduced after people began receiving tickets right in their post boxes. People do drive above the legal limits, but not by much. Rash driving also has to end. Hope at least the next generation learns to drive sedately. I have no hope for the current generation though. They have already made it a habit to rash drive every time they are on the road.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 6th June 2014 at 02:13.
DieselAddikt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 07:02   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

A really good move put in by Mr Rishi Raj. Should really appreciate the efforts that he puts in to make the Kerala roads safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
W I really hope Rishiraj Singh gets a transfer to the neighbouring states too and make more people to comply with such rules. Or atleast this incident inspires other states to allow / instruct transport commissioners to take up similar solid stand and enforce such rules across.
Well, I wish he would stay here forever so that the roads here will be much easier to drive.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 07:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Good move. Perhaps, this came in the wake of Sri Gopinath Munde's sad demise as probably, a seat belt would have saved him.
Kudos to Shri Rishi Raj Singh, the Kerala Road safety Commissioner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Looks like a lot of cars in Kerala would need to pierce a hole in the rear seat covers since most of the seat covers don't have the opening for seat belt buckle..
Actually some sort of appeals and discussions on this enforcement were going on as reported by channels since mid May. And the main problem statement was indeed the cars without rear seat belts. Though am unsure on how that was resolved, i hope there would be some specific action item for those cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What about Muvs with side facing seats. what will those do?
At present this doesn't cover the side facing seats and rear facing rear seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Hope at least the next generation learns to drive sedately. I have no hope for the current generation though.
I hope everyone drives sensibly, as speed is not the only thing to focus up.
As the schools has reopened, it extremely saddening to see people carrying their sons and daughters in bikes and turning, stopping etc without any kind of indications. Helmets hung on one side of the handlebar, with school bags on the other. One week and normal amount of time on roads, tbe number of rear misses sighted are scary.

School buses now drive as slow as possible, but they flaunt everything else. No signal, stop signs, stopping on middle of road etc.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 07:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant move! Rishi Raj Singh is the top cop with a lot of common sense.

Till now, I have got everyone in my family to belt up when they are in the front seat. The presence of airbags helps my scare tactics. I have been able to convince them on the dangers of sitting in a seat with airbag without wearing the belt. And Swift' seat belt height adjust helps a lot too. Earlier, there were protests from short distances, but now everyone buckles up as its become a habit.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 08:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

A welcome move by the Kerala traffic authorities, hope their counterparts in other states too wake up and make this a stringent rule. Its a pity that enforcement has to be brought it for people to realize the imp of seat belts when this should have been a self discipline.

I remember the state govts have tried a lot to make wearing a helment compulsory but people still flaunt the rules ignoring their own safety.

My Son's School have started a special class once a week on traffic rules and safety. I think this where the discipline should be started to be inculcated. Hope the next gen is traffic concious.
ghodlur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 08:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wow ! They needed a minister to die before waking up.
First the speed guns and now this , the Kerala RTO has some sensible people amongst them.

What next :

SIde View Mirros - Make mirrors compulsory on 2 wheelers and make driving with folded mirrors an offence
Child seats - Make Child seats compulsory and make driving with children in the front passenger seat or on the lap a punishable offence

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 09:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Wow ! They needed a minister to die before waking up.
Actually, this implementation is not related to the recent incident.

It was on the implementation body anvil for quite some time I suppose.
For reference, this is one such article on a popular local forum discussing on the feasibility of such a rule, the article was dated last month.

http://www.yentha.com/news/view/news...eat-passengers
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 09:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
School buses now drive as slow as possible, but they flaunt everything else. No signal, stop signs, stopping on middle of road etc.
Very true and spot on. In Kerala earlier the dangerous moving object on the roads were LS Private Buses and then the Tipper Trucks and now the role is taken up by School Buses and other vehicles like Autos, Omni and Maxximo vans carrying school kids.
Old 6th June 2014, 09:40   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
...I have a tiny doubt ... aren't there some cars with only 2 belts in the rear bench? Does it mean only 2 passengers at the back then for those?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
....What happens to the overloaded cars where there are more people than belts? What about cars with no belts? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
....And the main problem statement was indeed the cars without rear seat belts. Though am unsure on how that was resolved, i hope there would be some specific action item for those cases.
The law states that this is applicable for cars with provision for seat belts at the rear. So those without it are exempted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
....Well, I wish he would stay here forever so that the roads here will be much easier to drive.
The bigger problem are the ones who live & travel to other states where there is zilch respect for RTO rules. For example, it's a pain during the Sabarimala season (my home being in the busiest route) where the other states vehicles royally speed thru narrow roads, blaring horns and high wattage bulbs. Keralites feel quite shortchanged & fools to (be forced to) stick to the law. That one month can be extremely frustrating.

I really hope there will be strict checking during those busy months so that others also start respecting the rules.

Quote:
...First the speed guns and now this , the Kerala RTO has some sensible people amongst them....
Nop; just ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What about Muvs with side facing seats. what will those do?
I think RTO will have to amend a law for that. Right now, side facing seats are NOT covered I believe.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th June 2014 at 10:09.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 09:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
it's a pain during the Sabarimala season where the other states vehicles royally speed thru narrow roads, blaring horns and high wattage bulbs.
The use of vert high wattage bulbs by these vehicles carrying Sabarimala pilgrims is a very dangerous menace. They won't even dip their main beams ever. This is the main causative factor for many accidents. Will the authorities concerned take remedial measures?

Last edited by rajeev k : 6th June 2014 at 09:51.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 10:19   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Wow! Good move.

Our 1996 Zen which is under restoration does not even had rear seat belt provision.
I am trying hard to find pictures of Zen with rear seat belts.
Any pointers will help.
If pictures can help, I can send you pictures of my car's rear seat belts. It is also a Zen with factory fitted rear seat belts.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 10:40   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
SIde View Mirros - Make mirrors compulsory on 2 wheelers and make driving with folded mirrors an offence
AFAIK, cops here do check bikes for mirrors and working indicators. Moreover, cops use cameras installed at various parts of the city to penalize bikers who don't wear helmets. My friend received a challan with a photo taken from a normal CCTV police camera.
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 10:45   #29
SDP
Team-BHP Support

This is a brilliant move!

I just hope that the intention is safety of people and not to create another avenue for the RTO guys to make money.
Old 6th June 2014, 11:01   #30
BHPian

Absolutely Fantabulously Brilliant move by the Kerala government!

I sincerely hope this gets implemented across the country within a few weeks! I don't understand why this wasn't a law till now. Vehicles that do not adhere to all the laws and safety restrictions must not be allowed to ply on the road. It should be made mandatory that all vehicles must have a yearly review where their complete condition & road worthiness be reviewed. Vehicles that fail to comply should be scrapped and/or the registration of such vehicles should be removed.

Remember folks, it takes a second to belt up! Safety first!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks