Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2014, 15:33   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kerala: Seatbelts mandatory for all occupants (front & rear). EDIT, revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Saket,
Please post it in the Zen modifications thread. I too might be thinking of installing it in my Zen when it is due for registration renewal on completing 20 years. It might need a paint job around that time anyway - so it might be good to include this to the job card.
Good thinking to get it fitted.

Sure, just give me a couple of days for it and I will put up the detailed pictures in the appropriate thread. Also, check if your existing belts have pretensioners or not. Just for information, in order to check it, pull out the belts briskly by hand and it should lock immediately. Do not apply too much force. The newer Zen came with all 4 pretensioner belts.
Old 6th June 2014, 16:10   #47
RGK
Senior - BHPian

re: Kerala: Seatbelts mandatory for all occupants (front & rear). EDIT, revoked!

When safety gets the priority, then all other things automatically fall in place.

Kudos to Kerala Transport department.

In TN eventhough helmets and seat belts are mandatory, they are not strictly followed by public and some of them even complained this safety measure "as harassment by police".
Old 6th June 2014, 17:40   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Good thinking to get it fitted.

Sure, just give me a couple of days for it and I will put up the detailed pictures in the appropriate thread. Also, check if your existing belts have pretensioners or not. Just for information, in order to check it, pull out the belts briskly by hand and it should lock immediately. Do not apply too much force. The newer Zen came with all 4 pretensioner belts.
I guess you mean locking retractors. Pretensioners can be found in higher end vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_belt#Technology
amolbh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 18:04   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
I guess you mean locking retractors. Pretensioners can be found in higher end vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_belt#Technology
Yes Amol, I was wrong. It is locking retractors & not pretensioners. Thanks for correction.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 19:37   #50
BHPian

These kind of moves is all a bit 'meh' for me really; I really don't care to be honest.
In fact, I'd rather not have this rule.
When I drive my car I enforce this rule myself; all passengers must wear their seat belts.
Awareness is key, I don't think an individual must be forced to wear seatbelts by the government. It's his life, his responsibility - and of course the driver's which is why I enforce it as a driver (or as a family member/friend etc. but these are personal reasons)

Last edited by dozer : 6th June 2014 at 19:37. Reason: grammer
Old 6th June 2014, 20:00   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer View Post
These kind of moves is all a bit 'meh' for me really; I really don't care to be honest.
In fact, I'd rather not have this rule.
When I drive my car I enforce this rule myself; all passengers must wear their seat belts.
Awareness is key, I don't think an individual must be forced to wear seatbelts by the government. It's his life, his responsibility - and of course the driver's which is why I enforce it as a driver (or as a family member/friend etc. but these are personal reasons)
Well atleast this rule makes some sense. Wearing a seat belt can mean the difference between life and death incase of an accident.

I welcome this move.

The SC should make this a standard rule for all cars in the country.
At the same time they should remove the sun control ban which according to me serves no purpose at all.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 20:10   #52
BHPian

Very welcome move by the Transport Commissioner there. Enforcement is going to be a big task in itself I believe. I am sure most of the people wont be happy with this, especially the rear seat occupants. Fact is, its all down to awareness. I feel the Motor Vehicles Dept. needs to spread even more awareness among the general public so that more people follow these basic rules.

PS : My mom who occupies the front seat often was never willing to buckle up. She would, but then I have had to pick up big fights for that to happen and she would hesitantly do it. Now she has no choice but to buckle up when she is seated at the back too.
Old 6th June 2014, 20:26   #53
BHPian

Smart move, it'd save the pedestrians & 2w users et all from being knocked down by them city buses or tipper trucks or the 3w revolvers! No wonder that idea-tors have inherited much from the past of strangling cyclists for riding doubles. Isn't it too convenient for them choosing a path of least resistance?

Btw i agree helmets & belts are good but the enforcement mode is silly apart for some money minting especially when the oooh.. masterminds failed pathetically all these years in implementing the horn ban or even the speed limiter.

Last edited by Rennjit : 6th June 2014 at 20:27.
Old 6th June 2014, 21:11   #54
BHPian

This is a very good move by kerala state. Hope other states follow suit soon. But, enforcement is also the need of the day, it's good to have a law but if it is not enforced then its of not any great value.

There are very few people in our country who take safety seriously, enforcement should ensure that people start taking safety seriously. Other than fines, people who are caught without wearing seat-belts should be made to attend a safety briefing or something on those lines.
Old 6th June 2014, 21:50   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

From all the States I've travelled to in India, found Kerala's highway manners to be the best (odd idiot notwithstanding). Overall public facilities were also maintained impressively well by Indian standards.
. The road discipline of kerala is one of the worst imo. Everything from bikes to buses are driven rashly and the private buses literally fly low.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 6th June 2014 at 21:52.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 22:19   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
. The road discipline of kerala is one of the worst imo. Everything from bikes to buses are driven rashly and the private buses literally fly low.
+ 100 to that. Especially about buses. With my very limited experience I d say Calicut town has the fiercest private bus drivers in Kerala. They drive( rather fly) as if they got the licence to kill. Gave me goose bumps seeing the way they drove through the narrow streets of Calicut. Being from Cochin which i believe is comparatively better, it was an experience in itself.
aswin ajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 22:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
From all the States I've travelled to in India, found Kerala's highway manners to be the best (odd idiot notwithstanding). Overall public facilities were also maintained impressively well by Indian standards.
Regarding the road manners, I've extensively driven in Kerala and AP(&TG��) roads and I've got to say that drivers in Kerala are better. However, "better than AP driver" is no benchmark since 90% of drivers anywhere else would automatically qualify for that distinction without any conscious effort! Having sat in passenger seat in KA and TN numerous times, I haven't felt it to be so different from KL.

Just curious regarding the year in which you drove in Kerala highways and which part of Kerala was it since I wouldn't really consider any highway in Kerala as a true highway due to vehicle density. It takes as much time to go from Hyderabad to Bangalore as it takes to cover half that distance in Kerala.

It really depends on how they enforce this. If they wait near residential areas where people might be traveling at less than 20 km/hr to fine people travelling home from super market ignoring those in highways that travel at 80, I wouldn't say this move will bear fruit. Everything boils down to cops at the grass root level and their attitudes.
Old 6th June 2014, 23:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Driving in Kerala is nothing less than playing Grand theft Auto.I found Mumbai to be much more disciplined.

Kudos to Shri Rishiraj Singh for enforcing this rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
People generally drive fast back home - its quite frustrating when you drive to other states and find traffic crawling even when the road is much wider and traffic less dense.

It is wrong to equate fast driving with bad driving - I believe people in the state exhibit much better road sense than the others. I've just come back from home, and find that those hogging the fast lane at low speeds invariably sport an out-of-state registration number.

Yes our bus drivers are rather fast and are known to take curves with their tails sliding out, but you also have to admit that it isn't easy to stick to a time-table on such crowded and narrow roads.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 00:07   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
People generally drive fast back home - its quite frustrating when you drive to other states and find traffic crawling even when the road is much wider and traffic less dense.

It is wrong to equate fast driving with bad driving - I believe people in the state exhibit much better road sense than the others. I've just come back from home, and find that those hogging the fast lane at low speeds invariably sport an out-of-state registration number.

Yes our bus drivers are rather fast and are known to take curves with their tails sliding out, but you also have to admit that it isn't easy to stick to a time-table on such crowded and narrow roads.
+1 to this.
In Chennai there is absolute disregard for traffic signals, even during peak traffic hours. And then the nonchalant cutting of lanes, driving fast on the wrong side of the median, so on and so on. I have never seen anything of this sort in Kerala. Yes the roads might be narrow, but still I felt driving in Kerala was more peaceful than anywhere else.
Old 7th June 2014, 12:23   #60
BHPian

Its fantastic. This should be made mandatory across all country. With over a lac of people dying in road accidents we need to have a comprehensive road safety policy in place and making seat belts for all passengers should be mandatory.

Most Viewed