Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2014, 13:20   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Kerala: Seatbelts mandatory for all occupants (front & rear). EDIT, revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Just curious regarding the year in which you drove in Kerala highways and which part of Kerala
3 - 4 years back. The usual touristy places: Kumarakom, Munnar, Thekkady etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
:The road discipline of kerala is one of the worst imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
GTO are you sure?
Definitely. I'm not saying that it's on par with USA / European levels of discipline, but definitely amongst the top of what I've seen in the other States of India.

Rogue buses & the odd idiot are there everywhere. I'm speaking of the overall level of road manners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I found Mumbai to be much more disciplined
Mumbai city, yes, especially the southern part. But certainly not MH highways.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 13:23   #62
BHPian

re: Kerala: Seatbelts mandatory for all occupants (front & rear). EDIT, revoked!

Noble, no doubt. However, unless the seat belts are height adjustable, it can get extremely uncomfortable in the rear. For a lot of cars, for my height, I find that the rear seat belt sometimes cuts into my neck and feels very sharp.
Old 7th June 2014, 16:17   #63
BHPian

Thumbs up to the rule. It should be introduced all over the country. I end up looking like a fool when I explain its benefits to friends and family.
Old 7th June 2014, 18:13   #64
Senior - BHPian

The state RTO is carrying out various media exercises on this rule with most newspapers giving space to this. The articles elaborately explains the need for seat belts as well

They had specifically mentioned that the implementation is more focussed on awareness rather than fines. Fine is inevitable, because thats the only way to drive in some sense to certain set of people.

The transport commisioner has said to intensify the implementation. In the initial days more than fines, drivers will be sensitized on the seat belt usage and benefits.
sarathlal is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 19:22   #65
BHPian

Good move indeed. I have seen the law enforcement agencies are doing their job pretty well in Kerala. I have experienced this last year. I was travelling a taxi in co-passenger seat, when we approached a busy junction, a police constable is scanning motorists for helmets, seat belts, driver uniform etc. But he could not get any offender.

Later the driver explained me about the procedure to get a two wheeler driving license. His friend had take the test multiple times due to various reasons like, no helmet, no rear view mirror, he was wearing proper footwear and dress etc.

Rules and enforcement agencies like this is need of the hour. Hopefully other states will follow this steps.
Old 7th June 2014, 19:36   #66
BHPian

Just curious, is the seat belt rule mandatory for all occupants or just adults?

For children, you need to pair it with child seats which are expensive for most people. Also if a family is travelling in some other person's car (friend, relative), the other person may not have a child seat. What would you do in such a case?
Old 7th June 2014, 20:11   #67
BHPian

Couldn't have been a better move. Being from Delhi and a fanatic when it comes to cars, I have never allowed anyone in my vehicle if the person refuses to buckle up.
I feel its by default that the first thing you do upon stepping in the car is to buckle up (after closing the door off course ).

I think it's time how we as BHPians think of spreading and taking this message out loud to the general public.
Do your bit mates that's all I would say .
Sad that the country cannot understand the fact that driving is not a birth right but a privilege. Respect others on the road and drive safe.
Sleeplessdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 20:42   #68
CPJ
BHPian

Great move indeed. I personally feel this action would go a long way in making people realise that Seat Belts do save lives. Hope all the other States follow the suit quickly.
Old 8th June 2014, 00:31   #69
BHPian

Another welcome move from a great officer, Mr. Rishiraj Singh. He is doing a lot of good things to make driving in Kerala safe. There are cameras installed on Nation Highway as well as the State Highways. If you break the speed limit, for sure you will receive challan. All major traffic signals have CCTV camera to catch those who skip the signal.
Old 8th June 2014, 00:49   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
Just curious, is the seat belt rule mandatory for all occupants or just adults?

For children, you need to pair it with child seats which are expensive for most people. Also if a family is travelling in some other person's car (friend, relative), the other person may not have a child seat. What would you do in such a case?
Someone who can afford a car, should be able to afford a child seat - don't you think?
The gray area is when you are in someone else's car or you stuff more people in than the seating capacity of the car. I think this rule is just a start, it will evolve over time.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 10:17   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Welcome move. My own brother denies to wear a seat belt when he sits in the navigator seat; now he doesn't have a choice. I really hope Rishiraj Singh gets a transfer to the neighbouring states too and make more people to comply with such rules. Or atleast this incident inspires other states to allow / instruct transport commissioners to take up similar solid stand and enforce such rules across.
He is one transport commissioner who has done so much more than all the people preceding him. No!, please don't transfer him, we need him to stay and enforce more such safety measures. Kerala really needs these!!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
In a welcome move, Kerala State Road Safety Commissioner has made wearing seat belts mandatory for all passenger car occupants.
This includes those occupying the front seat and those in the front-facing rear seats in passenger cars plying in the State.

Earlier in 2007, the state has mandated the seat belts for front seat occupants. Related thread here

The directive is reported to have been issued as per the provision of sub-rule (3) of Rule 138 of Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989.
This would attract a fine of Rs.100 for first offense and up to Rs.300 for second and subsequent offense.
Those violating the rule will also be booked under Section 184 of the MV Act for dangerous driving.

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle6084170.ece
At last, a sensible move. Its better late than never. As an Orthopaedic surgeon we see so many injuries and deaths, that could have been avoided, if these measures were in place and more importantly , strictly enforced.
It is so often that I see vehicles with children standing in the front of the front seat passenger, with their heads cms away from the dash. A brisk braking at even 40 kmph will result in their face on their dash!. These people should be pulled up and made to pay heavily.
Rear seat belts use should be made mandatory throughout the country, not just in Kerala.
Enforcement is always the weak link with our laws.
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 18:16   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal79 View Post
All major traffic signals have CCTV camera to catch those who skip the signal.
Not only signal jumps, my cousin got a ticket recently as his truck driver was not wearing Uniform. When he went to pay the fine, they showed him the CCTV clip of the same.
Twiny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 18:59   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Not only signal jumps, my cousin got a ticket recently as his truck driver was not wearing Uniform. When he went to pay the fine, they showed him the CCTV clip of the same.
Its nice to know that they are looking for other violations also. After deploying these cameras number of violations are decreasing. There were reports stating that the number of accidents reduced after deploying cameras on highways.
lal79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 19:04   #74
BHPian

Welcome move by Kerala Govt . Hope this rule will be followed religiously for longer term. Wearing seat belt in front seats are already mandatory in Bangalore from long time ago. As many said, convincing co-travelers (from other states) to buckle up the belt is tedious task as they do not want to compromise the comfort. I think this rule has to be implemented in entire country to create awareness on safety.
Old 8th June 2014, 19:44   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

This was discussed in some other thread few weeks back. Road safety video regarding importance of rear passenger wearing seat belt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks