Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2014, 22:18   #76
BHPian

re: Kerala: Seatbelts mandatory for all occupants (front & rear). EDIT, revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
Just curious, is the seat belt rule mandatory for all occupants or just adults?

For children, you need to pair it with child seats which are expensive for most people.

The reasoning that child seats are "expensive" for most is not really a valid one. Going by that argument, car itself is expensive to most owners in our country. But still, all of them continue to own it. After all, how expensive can the child-seat be? If it costs as much as the car itself, or more, then what you said stands valid. But since that is not the case, as long as anyone can afford to buy a car, I am sure he can spend a few thousands more for his child's safety.

Quote:

Also if a family is travelling in some other person's car (friend, relative), the other person may not have a child seat. What would you do in such a case?
No offence meant, but I think that is just a childish excuse. Isn't it similar to saying to the cops that the reason you don't wear a helmet, is because it's your friend's bike!

The law or Government can't make arrangements for us, anticipating in advance, in whose car we are going to travel next. The rule is same for all vehicles. So it is irrelevant to say that you are using your friend's car and hence no child-seat. If ever such a law comes,the only option to be a law-abiding citizen would be to avoid taking your child along, when you use such a friend's car. I don't think there is any other way.
Old 9th June 2014, 11:26   #77
BHPian

re: Kerala: Seatbelts mandatory for all occupants (front & rear). EDIT, revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
If it costs as much as the car itself, or more, then what you said stands valid. But since that is not the case, as long as anyone can afford to buy a car, I am sure he can spend a few thousands more for his child's safety.
Agree. Compared to the car it costs peanuts. But I'm sure many people would view it as an extra cost. The reason for raising this questions is that education/ law needs to include the child seat in the discussion as well.

I'm just afraid that just like road-side helmets, it will also lead to an industry of fake, unsafe child seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
No offence meant, but I think that is just a childish excuse. Isn't it similar to saying to the cops that the reason you don't wear a helmet, is because it's your friend's bike!

The law or Government can't make arrangements for us, anticipating in advance, in whose car we are going to travel next. The rule is same for all vehicles. So it is irrelevant to say that you are using your friend's car and hence no child-seat. If ever such a law comes,the only option to be a law-abiding citizen would be to avoid taking your child along, when you use such a friend's car. I don't think there is any other way.
None taken

I raised this because it may be practical inconvenient for most people. Say you are travelling to a different town to visit someone, you may not be carrying a child seat with you. The other person may not have child seat in his/ her car as his family does not have a child. What do you do in such case? Not travelling is not an option in that case?

Or you are travelling in a cab in some other city, what happens in that case?

The entire eco-system needs to be created in such case.

I understand I am just limiting myself to child safety, but then it is something which has long been ignored.

But at least Kerala has shown a positive initiative in road safety. Hope to soon see rear belts mandated across the country.
Old 9th June 2014, 12:07   #78
BHPian

Good work again by dear Rishi Raj singh. A man almost single handedly brought down the fatal accident numbers in Kerala. While Kerala has possibly worst highways in India, it is a place where I found traffic cops checking rules which aren't checked anywhere else in the south atleast. For example, Kerala is the only place where I was stopped to check if I am driving inside city with high-beam ON.
Old 9th June 2014, 14:40   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal79 View Post
Its nice to know that they are looking for other violations also. After deploying these cameras number of violations are decreasing. There were reports stating that the number of accidents reduced after deploying cameras on highways.
Yes, as I had pointed out, they have installed many cameras in and around different parts of the city (even in deserted roads and junctions) where people tend to not use helmets for a short commute. My friend was caught twice where the challan and the photo (taken from a cctv) was mailed to his house. Even he couldnt believe that there were cameras in rural parts of the city.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 16:20   #80
Senior - BHPian

I hope this rule gets extended to the buses too. We should at least have lap belts if not the proper 3-point belts for all buses too. With the new generation Volvo and the Mercedes buses, the acceleration and deceleration are similar if not better than most of the cars on our roads and hence these injury risks are equally applicable in those too.
Old 9th June 2014, 16:25   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Noble, no doubt. However, unless the seat belts are height adjustable, it can get extremely uncomfortable in the rear. For a lot of cars, for my height, I find that the rear seat belt sometimes cuts into my neck and feels very sharp.
There is a small Velcro based seat belt 'cushion' which is wrapped around the belt. This prevents the belt from cutting your neck. You can try those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
If pictures can help, I can send you pictures of my car's rear seat belts. It is also a Zen with factory fitted rear seat belts.
Yes please post pictures.
Old 9th June 2014, 16:40   #82
BHPian

It is quite unfortunate that we have a mindset, where we need a certain Rishi Rajsingh or someone like him to tell us what we already know, but would rather not do ourselves. In any other country, anyone with basic education or understanding will know that helmets can prevent serious head injury or that seat belts will mitgate the extent of serious injuries in an accident. They do not need the likes of Rishi RajSingh to tell them. They know that the rules are there with a purpose and obey the rules. We have a problem that we would like to question authority , that is why we still see morons on motorbikes riding with helmets not on their head, but over the handlebars. As a trauma surgeon with over 40 years of experience, I have seen enough of them leave this world at a young age. To me, in a way, they were committing suicide.
By law since 2002, rear seat belts are mandatory, but not enforced at all. Why have a law and then not enforce it.?. So many rear seats passengers have lost their lives, just because they were unrestrained. Princess Diana, in a Merc S Class with all possible safety features died in the Paris accident. She had a severe blunt injury chest, which caused a tear in her left Pulmonary vein with haemorrhage that proved fatal. Her companion in rear seat was also unrestrained and died. If only they were wearing seat belts, they would have probably escaped with less serious injuries or none at all. Remember, her attendant in the front seat was not killed, he was properly restrained. Gopinath Munde's car only a minor dent, but the impact was enough to throw him off his seat and be tossed around. If only he was wearing the seat belt!
Let us all give a big hand of applause to Mr. Rishi RajSingh and hope that he will not be cowed down by pressure, which he can expect from many quarters, including some of our political leaders. Like in many European countries, it should be the responsibility of the driver to see that all passengers are properly restrained. Similarly, allowing children to ride in the front seats should be a punishable offence.
In a country with roads that smell death, where a person gets killed every third minute, can we afford to be more complacent.? Come on Singhji, we are with you.
premc44 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 20:01   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
It is quite unfortunate that we have a mindset, where we need a certain Rishi Rajsingh or someone like him to tell us what we already know, but would rather not do ourselves. In any other country, anyone with basic education or understanding will know that helmets can prevent serious head injury or that seat belts will mitgate the extent of serious injuries in an accident. They do not need the likes of Rishi RajSingh to tell them. They know that the rules are there with a purpose and obey the rules. We have a problem that we would like to question authority , that is why we still see morons on motorbikes riding with helmets not on their head, but over the handlebars.
I couldn't agree with you more. People in our country has the basic tendency to break the laws than obeying them. Only way to make this kind of people understand that the laws are their for a purpose and should be obeyed is by penalizing them for their offence. I have seen motorcyclists keeping the helmet on top of fuel tank (may be to protect the fuel tank), and some times wearing it to protect their elbows. Even god can't save such morons. When helmets were made mandatory, some association of motorcyclists even went to court stating wearing helmet causes many problems. I even saw on guy in of the TV chat shows arguing like "it is our head, why you are worried about protecting that. if we want then we will". The least said about these kind of morons the better
Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
Let us all give a big hand of applause to Mr. Rishi RajSingh and hope that he will not be cowed down by pressure, which he can expect from many quarters, including some of our political leaders. Like in many European countries, it should be the responsibility of the driver to see that all passengers are properly restrained. Similarly, allowing children to ride in the front seats should be a punishable offence.
In a country with roads that smell death, where a person gets killed every third minute, can we afford to be more complacent.? Come on Singhji, we are with you.
Definitely we should applaud Mr.Singh for the efforts that he is putting to make our roads safe . As you rightly pointed out, let us hope he will not be cowed down by pressure from various sides.
Old 10th June 2014, 20:04   #84
BHPian

thank you for sharing this info Sarath.

Strangely enough, this was'nt even published in TOI (BLR). This should have been the headline. I believe, the other governments would take better notice.

Now its time for me to show this to my in laws and folks. They are still in the 'nothing's going happen ' mode. probably stick a notice in behind the front seats ;D
Boomerang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 20:42   #85
Senior - BHPian

Today while waiting at the airport in Mumbai I came across a very potent article on seat belts are compulsory for all passengers. The article was published in DNA newspaper's today's edition. Here are a few snaps:

Kerala: Seatbelts mandatory for all occupants (front & rear). EDIT, revoked!-photo1323.jpg

Kerala: Seatbelts mandatory for all occupants (front & rear). EDIT, revoked!-photo1317.jpg

Kerala: Seatbelts mandatory for all occupants (front & rear). EDIT, revoked!-photo1322.jpg

Thanks.
ad3952n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 15:28   #86
BHPian

Nice move toward road safety from the Kerala State Road Safety Commissioner, I hope people comply with the same serenely, slowly and steady this can be moved to other states too, this would certainly help in reduction of the road accident causalities.
Old 11th June 2014, 15:47   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post
Good work again by dear Rishi Raj singh. A man almost single handedly brought down the fatal accident numbers in Kerala. While Kerala has possibly worst highways in India, it is a place where I found traffic cops checking rules which aren't checked anywhere else in the south atleast. For example, Kerala is the only place where I was stopped to check if I am driving inside city with high-beam ON.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lal79 View Post
Definitely we should applaud Mr.Singh for the efforts that he is putting to make our roads safe . As you rightly pointed out, let us hope he will not be cowed down by pressure from various sides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush_Traveller View Post
Nice move toward road safety from the Kerala State Road Safety Commissioner, I hope people comply with the same serenely, slowly and steady this can be moved to other states too, this would certainly help in reduction of the road accident causalities.
We do love dictators, don't we? People who rule with an iron hand is revered by the masses. Having said that, what happened to liberty? It is not like speeding or reckless driving where you put other people at risk. Second, why are executives taking to legislation? To make laws, there is a legislative, executive is just for implementation. They don't have the power to legislate. Sadly, in our country everybody sitting in a "powerful" chair thinks that he has to "power" to do anything. BTW, I am not against what he is doing in principle, but just saying that he has no power to do so.
blacksport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 16:12   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
The directive is reported to have been issued as per the provision of sub-rule (3) of Rule 138 of Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989.
This would attract a fine of Rs.100 for first offense and up to Rs.300 for second and subsequent offense.
Those violating the rule will also be booked under Section 184 of the MV Act for dangerous driving.

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle6084170.ece
The only thing that is legally tenable is the 100 bucks fine.

Dangerous driving under 184 will *not* hold good in a court for not wearing seatbelts.

Here's what section 184 says :

Whoever drives a motor vehicle at a speed or in a manner which is dangerous to the public, having regard to all the circumstances of the case including the nature, condition and use of the place where the vehicle is driven and the amount of traffic which actually is at the time or which might reasonably be expected to be in the place, shall be punishable for the first offence with imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months or with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees, and for any second or subsequent offence if committed within three years of the commission of a previous similar offence with imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine which may extend to two thousand rupees, or with both.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 11th June 2014 at 16:19.
Old 11th June 2014, 16:14   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
..To make laws, there is a legislative, executive is just for implementation. They don't have the power to legislate. Sadly, in our country everybody sitting in a "powerful" chair thinks that he has to "power" to do anything. BTW, I am not against what he is doing in principle, but just saying that he has no power to do so.
Sorry, could you point out which new "law" did he make? As far as I know, all these laws are already created by the "legislative" which Mr. Rishiraj Singh is enforcing to be followed or getting the masses to comply with. I pretty much think it's a part of his job role (of every transport commissioner for that matter) and there is nothing wrong with him setting precedence (whereas some other RTOs are busy amending laws to catch other state vehicles for generating cash reserves without bothering about safety laws or improving driving conditions).

Those who do NOT want to comply with the laws set up by the "legislative" are free to do it; pay their fines when caught for the offense and move on. I hope that's what you meant by liberty.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th June 2014 at 16:16.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 16:32   #90
Senior - BHPian

I read somewhere that they are going to make helmet compulsory for pillion rider.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks