Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2014, 14:41   #16
BHPian

Re: May 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thanks GTO for yet an another great analysis report!
Maruthi and Hyundai know how to capitalize the Indian market regardless of the conditions.
Octavia is so much of a great car I thought..but numbers does not reflect...Cut prices Skoda !!!
Most disappointing is Fiat.. I guess they are still maintaining the shops because of the margins they are getting out of their Engine sales?
Old 10th June 2014, 15:05   #17
BHPian

As per news reports, M&M sold 18,085 vehicles in May 2014. Since M&M didn't provide Thar numbers, I think we can assume that the difference between the news report figure and those given to Team-BHP (17,159) will give us the figure for Thar. So 18085 - 17,159 = 926 ~ Thars sold. Almost a 1000 vehicles for a niche segment is really something.
jessie007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 15:15   #18
BHPian

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out some vehicles that have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:
Attached Thumbnails
May 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg  

May 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg  

May 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg  

May 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg  

jessie007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 15:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO for the super analysis. Remembering a Rajinikant punch "late-aah vanthalum, latest-aah varuven" (literal translation: even if I come late, I'll be the latest; in this case, latest can be substituted with best)

Somebody on the last month's thread was referring to Datsun Go as a dud already, but the new entrant has ousted the Brio from a long known reliable Honda stable, from the launch. And with the sole addition of Datsun, Nissan has come up to the 8th position from down under. And with Renault by their side, the association took 5th spot last month. I would really feel bad for this such a capable brand if they go down again.
thoma is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 15:42   #20
BHPian

Hello,
Its quite a wonder how much MSIL is selling, in spite the fact that they don't have a product in the SUV category nor does it sell in C2 or D1 category sedans. i wonder what would be the result when they have Ciaz and a SUV in the market.
Dzire & Swift continue to sell even after the launch of their technologically advanced competitors like amaze & Xcent, the launch of the face lift Dzire and Swift will give an additional boost to the robust sales of MSIL.
There's no doubt Hyundai & Honda are doing their creative best to stand ahead in the tough times.The new City is an amazing product and people are loving it, i am astonished to see city surpass the sale of Amaze and the figures of Amaze going nowhere , even after the capacity constrain issue for the Amaze production are resolved.
Hyundai on the other hand is doing excellent job by introducing excellent products in the market first the Grand i10 now the Xcent along with the new Santa FE. Hyundai products speak for them self, and i personally believe that Hyundai is the only company that can give chills to MSIL in the forthcoming period with its innovations & new products which would rule the market.
Slush_Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 16:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Finally the much awaited report card on the Indian Automobile Industry is out. Interestingly there has been a spike of nearly 20000 Units compared to the April-14. Why are the tatas withholding the launch of Zest & Bolt?
Old 10th June 2014, 16:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

The much awaited thread in TBHP!

Despite all competition & customer spoilt for choice of brands, the top 4 largest selling cars in the country is from Maruti!
Maruti's domination in Indian automobile industry is unbeatable!

In contrast, the brand I own (Fiat), is still struggling to reach 4 digit sales nos!
Even the facelifted Linea, with all good reviews & best all-rounder package it offers doesn't push the sales...
Old 10th June 2014, 16:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

May 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thanks GTO. Always wait for this thread. Missing the petrol - diesel comparison chart though.
The indian car market seems to be maturing between the B and C segment level. How else will we see the Desire do better than the Swift and the City doing better than the Amaze. Looks like more than 50% of the consumers have a flexi budget when shopping in the B and C segments. If the product is right they do not mind spending on the additional EMI.
Hyundai seems to be doing well and are doing a good job in protecting their market share. Nice to now see people accepting premium offerings from Hyundai. Elantra continues to do well in the D1 segment and the new Santa Fe seems to be well accepted. Sad that the Fiat story with the Linea face lift is all but over.
Maruti is on a roll. Would have been interesting if they had available AMT kits for the Celerio. Not sure of what that would have done for their market share.

GTO it would be a nice one off exercise to check on the variants sold in probably the B and C segments. It will be nice to see if the consumers are now spending on safety or are they just upgrading to the base models in the next segment?

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 10th June 2014 at 16:37.
Old 10th June 2014, 16:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS View Post
With the next year or so seeing the release of

- the new i20
- the new Fabia
- the new Jazz
- the new Figo (Ka)

it will be interesting to see how the segment leader Swift holds out. IMPO, the current Swift should have had better space than the previous one - rear passenger legroom and a little more boot space.
Off Topic.

I'm in market looking out for a sedan. While at hyundai showroom, Sales rep was very sure that the spy pics i saw for new i20 is the vehicle which will be launched against duster and ecosport. is there any plans of compact SUV from Hyundai.
Old 10th June 2014, 16:47   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Off Topic.

Sales rep was very sure that the spy pics i saw for new i20 is the vehicle which will be launched against duster and ecosport. is there any plans of compact SUV from Hyundai.
The speculated ix25 (currently is more than 4 m in length)is the rival to the Duster/Terrano and not the New i20(?) which is advertised as a 'Premium Hatchback' offering from Hyundai.

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th June 2014 at 16:51.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 17:14   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Off Topic. is there any plans of compact SUV from Hyundai
Although I got this bit of news from official sources voluntarily, I still would take this clue at face value only and would not call it 100% confirmed. The 5 seater SUV is indeed awaiting launch and will be named Tucson (too-sawn) ix. Also waiting behind it is the diesel autobox Grand i10. The new i20 is a global car and perhaps more launch details will be revealed only after the Paris Show.

While these 3 launches will create tremendous confusion within the brand portfolio itself, maybe that's the only strategy that works in India to boost sales, although logically it makes little sense. Suzuki is the king of multiple products across the same platform/dimensions, cheekily spanning previous generations as well, still it works.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 17:45   #27
Team-BHP Support

D1 segment looks interesting. The brand name Corolla holds more value than the said shortcomings in safety features (just two airbags, no ESP, traction control etc.). It has done around 40% more units than its nearest competitor (Elantra).

And pretty impressive numbers for the Santa FE!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 18:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Good to see the capable Xcent taking over Amaze.

True, its part of new car euphoria, but the Xcent offers tremendous value for the buck when compared with the Amaze. Not only is cheaper than the Amaze - it offers more bells and whistles and in the long term might as well be cheaper to own than the Amaze. What with Hyundai's more widespread and cheaper service network and longer service intervals compared to the Honda.

In the long term i see Xcent neck and neck with the DZire, it might possibly overtake it too.
I doubt if Xcent can come even close to Dzire in sales with the puny 1.1 diesel , the 1.2 Kappa is a decent motor though. Do keep in mind that even Dzire is getting facelifted soon ( with more features). Had Hyundai offered 1.4 CRDI in it it would have definitely been selling more.

Amaze will feel more heat soon with Tata Zest and Ford Figo Sedan launches .
Old 10th June 2014, 18:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

May 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
D1 segment looks interesting. The brand name Corolla holds more value than the said shortcomings in safety features (just two airbags, no ESP, traction control etc.). It has done around 40% more units than its nearest competitor (Elantra).

And pretty impressive numbers for the Santa FE!

I guess we have to wait a couple of months to see the Corolla numbers stabalise. Too early to call as the numbers are shipments and toyota could easily dictate to their dealers to pick X amount of cars.

In my opinion The Corolla will still be the market leader just on strengths of their ASS and reliability tag.
But a warning to all manufacturers, the Indian consumer is now more mature and will select the best product irrespective of the brand. The Mahindra XUV 500 and the Innova are still kings of the D Segment if you discard it's SUV/MUV stance and just take it at the D segment price point.
One has electrical and other reliability issues and sells purely on the Value for Money,fully loaded and aspirational values and the other continues to sell on realiabilty. It's hard to call as to which car will be successful and which won't succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 10th June 2014 at 18:35.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 18:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Great Analysis as usual

Being a Fiat customer, it is sad to see the company languish. But they have only themselves to blame, poor image of after-sales and doubtful quality has dented them quite a bit. They are making some positive strides, but if it is enough or not, only time will tell.

When the Fluidic Verna was launched, Hyundai had benchmarked the City as car to beat which they very well did. With the new City now, Honda has returned the favor, flimsy build and skinny tyres notwithstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I doubt if Xcent can come even close to Dzire in sales with the puny 1.1 diesel , the 1.2 Kappa is a decent motor though. Do keep in mind that even Dzire is getting facelifted soon ( with more features). Had Hyundai offered 1.4 CRDI in it it would have definitely been selling more.

Amaze will feel more heat soon with Tata Zest and Ford Figo Sedan launches .

Time and again Maruti has proven that it has the wherewithal to sell more cars than the competition even when the competition has more rounded products. This segment being Maruti strong hold, it would be highly unlikely that Dzire numbers would ever go down. One of the most important factor is that the Indian growth stories would be written in the smaller towns where Maruti has a hefty head-start against all other manufacturers. Total sales number is dependent on the total number of sales points and as long as Maruti maintains a healthy lead on that front, it would be difficult for Xcent to catch up. Not to forget that Dzire is not all that bad in itself to have a handicap.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks