Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2014, 19:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: May 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Ouch!! Quite a few continuing the sliding trend and showing little or no signs of recovery.

Chevrolet is really in the bushes. They loose close to about 500 units month on month and while the Cruze might still be bringing in some money and the beat some volumes that is not going to be enough to sustain either the company nor the 2000 odd employees they have. With the beat we see a declining trend as well : from a peak of 2400 units in Feb , down to 1700 this month which is also below the 2000 mark they started off the year on. Arvind Saxena does have his work cut out for him indeed ,also making it more difficult with absolutely no new launches planned anytime soon - he inherits not only an old portfolio of models but a dying one at that

Fiat still cannot beat Skoda and now it looks unlikely. The excitement of the 2014 designs seems to be fading , the Linea is back to the year opening numbers and fails to maintain even half of the peak it saw in March 2014 and now with enough time having gone by as well post the new launch if we were to see good numbers they should have been there now already... what a shame.

Kudos to the front runner , just goes to show that pricing and gimmiks is not all that it takes to lead from the front.

GTO thanks! Fantastic as always!!
puchoo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 19:38   #32
Team-BHP Support

Renault put so much effort into the Fluence and overprice it = 27 cars sold.

The engine is 95 % indigenous, it could be priced really well if they wanted!
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 20:34   #33
BHPian

Not sure whats happening with the New Fiesta, is it really '0'? I mean not a single Fiesta sold, not sure if the car is so bad or something really wrong with it. If it is really so whats the point of bringing a new upgraded Fiesta?
Zubin21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 21:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

As usual, a great analysis GTO! Looking at the trend, I see the trend to go for SUV's incresing what with the Bolero's, Scorpio's, Ecosport and etc logging good numbers and beating verna, i20 and the likes to be in top 20.

Its not surprise to see Maruti holding the top 4 spots but what beats me is Dzire being on top! No offense to owners but I feel Xcent is a much better package in that segment.

Tata will be hugely betting on Bolt and Zest to boost their sales numbers provided they price it right and also have a quality product. Same with Fiat. Hope their soon to be released Avventura and Punto gives them a much needed boost to their sales. Its sad to see such a good all round product to lose out to their competitors because of the negative mindset created in people's mind.

Hope the new govt provides a boost to the Auto industry with some new sops so that the growth rate will be much better. Lets hope for a better second half of 2014!
TorqueyTechie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 21:19   #35
BHPian

Excellent detailed review as always. Brands like Maruti, Hyundai and even the Renault/Nissan twins which have one or more of well packaged product offering along with long term reliability seem to be able to weather the storm well. The Europeans Fiat, VW and Skoda are facing the heat in spite of having good quality products mostly owing to their after sales experience and long term reliability.
Old 10th June 2014, 21:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I doubt if Xcent can come even close to Dzire in sales with the puny 1.1 diesel , the 1.2 Kappa is a decent motor though. Do keep in mind that even Dzire is getting facelifted soon ( with more features). Had Hyundai offered 1.4 CRDI in it it would have definitely been selling more.

Amaze will feel more heat soon with Tata Zest and Ford Figo Sedan launches .
I would not disagree with you completely. However, i doubt if only the Engine factor would pull customers towards the dZire. The petrols are evenly matched, but the diesels are not - but only as far as outright performance is concerned. The average buyer in compact sedan category is looking more at *fuel efficiency* and features as an important criteria, and the U2 CRDI is not too far behind the DDiS when it comes to FE. So it might not be very easy going for the dzire in future.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 22:01   #37
BHPian

Tata Nano is losing its shine for sure. Tata has done cosmetic changes, some upgrade like power steering but it failed to attract customers.

New launch Hyundai Xcent looks quite favourite and its elderly cousin, the queen Dzire has become Ms. India . The reason ALTO is selling low is because of the fact that ALTO 800 looks uglier than its predecessor. I liked previous ALTO very much.

Hyundai's Nano (means EON) is also selling decent numbers. Tata really needs good market analysts. They are already wounded by the death of Mr. Karl Slym. Only good sign is ARIA sales figures, which are 3 digits.

Well, me and my friends did a brief market survey around our locality for nano and found that launch of AMT is most awaited among women drivers. Tata must hurry and make most of the situation till the time Celerio AMT has waiting periods.

I feel sorry for Tata and cheers for our beloved Maruti Suzuki
Old 10th June 2014, 22:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I would not disagree with you completely. However, i doubt if only the Engine factor would pull customers towards the dZire. The petrols are evenly matched, but the diesels are not - but only as far as outright performance is concerned. The average buyer in compact sedan category is looking more at *fuel efficiency* and features as an important criteria, and the U2 CRDI is not too far behind the DDiS when it comes to FE. So it might not be very easy going for the dzire in future.
Dzire , Amaze and Xcent all are quite fuel efficient in their diesel motors. I dont think an extra mileage of 1-2 km/l will tilt a buyer to Xcent. No doubt Xcent cabin feels quite good for its price . My personal view is Dzire would always enjoy the no.1 position in the segment however ugly it looks. The others will have to fight it out to get the other part of the pie.
karanraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 23:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

On the Dzire numbers debate, apart from all factors discussed, let's also bear in mind that the numbers include fleet sales of the old Dzire. Dzire is now the king of this market having taken off much of the sales from Etios at the higher end and Indigo Cs at the lower end
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 08:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubin21 View Post
Not sure whats happening with the New Fiesta, is it really '0'? I mean not a single Fiesta sold, not sure if the car is so bad or something really wrong with it. If it is really so whats the point of bringing a new upgraded Fiesta?
The new Fiesta was a flop since launch due to its pricing. Later when the price was corrected, the market had no interest in the car and other models had been launched in the sane segment.
There is nothing wrong with car. In fact it is a very driver oriented car. With the launch of the Ecosport, Ford is busy focusing on manufacturing this rather than the new Fiesta which anyway has a facelift coming up and hence 0 shipments.
Last time I checked , there was a long wait period since it was made to order. I am not sure if one can book it now or its the same long wait.
Old 11th June 2014, 08:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
Only good sign is ARIA sales figures, which are 3 digits.
The three digit figures are the factory dispatches of the recently upgraded Aria. They have sort of relaunched it with a slight bump in the power and torque figures. The success can only be determined 3-4 months down the line if Aria is able to maintain or improve upon those figures.
Old 11th June 2014, 08:53   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The new Fiesta was a flop since launch due to its pricing. Later when the price was corrected, the market had no interest in the car and other models had been launched in the sane segment.
There is nothing wrong with car. In fact it is a very driver oriented car. With the launch of the Ecosport, Ford is busy focusing on manufacturing this rather than the new Fiesta which anyway has a facelift coming up and hence 0 shipments.
Last time I checked , there was a long wait period since it was made to order. I am not sure if one can book it now or its the same long wait.

The New Fiesta was a flop because of both the price and the rear seat. It so narrow at the back that 2 healthy adults would rub shoulders. The leg room is also poor compared to the new City and Vento. Not sure if the face lift has taken care of this?If not the car will still surely be a double digit seller. We have noticed in the Indian market'Once a reject always a Reject'.
Ford needs an all new Fiesta to compete with the City and Verna, and for heavens sake redesign the rear of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 11th June 2014, 10:25   #43

I wonder how much time the T-BHP Market Analysers would spend to make such an exceptional review.

While I had been struggling with too many options while choosing an additional hatch to my Sedan, this review helped me to chop out lots of other misc options and narrow down to Either Swift or Wagon R. Great work Team. I wish I could get help in finalysing one of the Two.
pradeepchristy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 11:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
The New Fiesta was a flop because of both the price and the rear seat. It so narrow at the back that 2 healthy adults would rub shoulders. The leg room is also poor compared to the new City and Vento. Not sure if the face lift has taken care of this?If not the car will still surely be a double digit seller. We have noticed in the Indian market'Once a reject always a Reject'.
Ford needs an all new Fiesta to compete with the City and Verna, and for heavens sake redesign the rear of the car.

That's what happens when an European hatch is taken and a boot slapped on it without doing anything extra ,to sell it in markets like India.
From what I have heard, the 1.5 petrol engine is not good as the Classic either. When I tool a short spin on the diesel version once, I could feel it is more of a sporty car rather than a family sedan.
With the new Fiesta, I don't think much will change since it seems to be only a re-designed front end to go with the new Ford design theme.

Last edited by tharian : 11th June 2014 at 11:47.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 11:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepchristy View Post
I wonder how much time the T-BHP Market Analysers would spend to make such an exceptional review.

While I had been struggling with too many options while choosing an additional hatch to my Sedan, this review helped me to chop out lots of other misc options and narrow down to Either Swift or Wagon R. Great work Team. I wish I could get help in finalysing one of the Two.

Pradeep,After all the analysis if you have narrowed your choice to either the Swift or Wagon R,then the Swift it has to be. The ZXI version is a lot safer. The build quality better and a good car to drive around. Between the 2 just book the Swift.

Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed