Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2014, 13:34   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: May 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Why doesnt Suzuki launch the Dzire in other emerging countries?

Its super evident that the City is hurting D segment sales as well, apart from eating share from other C+ cars. Couldnt be too wrong to say its eating from XUV/Xylo as well.

If Zest and Bolt are rejected by the masses, what happens to Tata Motors??
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 16:35   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Movers & Shakers
Confused marketing, inconsistent sales push and old + unappealing products have left Chevrolet in the doldrums. Year on year, the company has lost over 40% volume! It's only the Cruze that is revving healthily, selling in the whereabouts of its German competition. The Beat, Tavera & Enjoy somewhat keep the cash registers ringing, although they are severely under-performing, whichever way you look at it. I don't understand why GM has 8 cars in its portfolio when it can't support any of them. R-I-P to the failures (I'm talking about you, Spark & Sail), cut the fat and focus on the ones with potential. New boss Arvind Saxena is a genius.....he does have his work cut out though. Plus, there's only 3 years to do the magic as GM's retirement age is 60.
Not a bad demand to Completely Rezig the Branding Team of Chevy India. Actually they either need the FMCG mindset for brand management or they need to bring in some branding champ from their US market where chevy is still doing great (at-least branding wise). The Company in india seems to have done highest number of launches (amongst all brands) but none of them have been bestsellers (except beat and cruze). Indians seemingly don't consider the chevy as a high-end brand and chevy seems the most "un-loved" brand at the moment.

They got to reduce the number of launches and focus more on launching successful cars. After their experiments with Sail and Enjoy I hope they again launch some of the global cars like Sonic, Cobalt or IMPALA. AS reports suggest Beat-Export should help them sustain, but India market growth will only come from successful products.

Also considering Toyota Is planning to bring its premium brand Lexus in India, Chevy SHOULD consider bringing in Buick atleast.

Arvind Saxena sure has his task cut out.

Last edited by anu21v : 11th June 2014 at 16:40.
Old 11th June 2014, 17:09   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
If Zest and Bolt are rejected by the masses, what happens to Tata Motors??
They go back to making Indicab's and CV's. No other go unless they have something great in hand.

Following the Indica Vista design language any further will be difficult.

Anurag.
Old 11th June 2014, 17:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

5500+ copies of Innova which is almost 10years old -?? Also not to forget the G4 model which accounts for majority of the sale, costs anywhere between 13-15 lac on-road depending on your location.

If there is one product which has been beating all the competitors by sales as well as the product quality since launch, it has to be Innova. Don't see a reason why Toyota will get a replacement at least for another 10 years.

Fortuner,Dzire,City all selling more than the combined sales of competition is quite tremendous.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 00:26   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
5500+ copies of Innova which is almost 10years old -?? Also not to forget the G4 model which accounts for majority of the sale, costs anywhere between 13-15 lac on-road depending on your location.

If there is one product which has been beating all the competitors by sales as well as the product quality since launch, it has to be Innova. Don't see a reason why Toyota will get a replacement at least for another 10 years.
Another point to note. Liva selling more than Figo and much much more than Polo. Almost touching Ritz. Etios figures looking good too. This, despite all the bashing that Liva and Etios have gotten from all quarters. Toyota seems to be holding on in their only sub ten-lakh offerings, despite being newcomers here. What's the secret?

Last edited by subratasenn : 12th June 2014 at 00:28.
Old 12th June 2014, 00:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Another point to note. Liva selling more than Figo and much much more than Polo. Almost touching Ritz. Etios figures looking good too. This, despite all the bashing that Liva and Etios have gotten from all quarters. Toyota seems to be holding on in their only sub ten-lakh offerings, despite being newcomers here. What's the secret?
Sales of Figo has fallen because a refreshed Figo is on its way ...! Liva/Etios sales is no where near expectation of Toyota management itself.
tj123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 10:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Review as usual GTO.

Parrys-The chart compilations are excellent.

A little introspection:
1) Maruti, as GTO correctly mentioned are constantly innovating and reinventing themselves to ensure their 40%+ market share remain intact.
Celerio is not a spectacular car. Neither in looks nor in performance. Yet, the AMT is a massive differentiator. This has worked like magic!

Wow!! India has evolved.
"Achche Din aa gaye hain".
  • Hail to the new boss- The Dzire. Really happy to see that we as consumers are evolving in our choice of products and chose not only on the basis of price but also for the overall product.
  • Swift and Wagon R continues its good run. This is likely to remain unchanged in the future as well. A little curious about the Stingray. It is a market dud but what is its share in the 12K odd WRs sold?
  • Ritz is a great car. MS needs to revisit this offering and with some tweaks and a complete facelift, it has a genuine potential of 6.5K+ MoM. Pls. do away with your "Boomerang" rear
Hyundai
Success is sweet. Actually its Grand and Xcent and Verna and Elantra.
One of the few companies with very limited duds.
Even the 15 year old Santro sells in good no.

The only failure would probably be the expensive Sonata and Santa Fe.
Great offerings, good marketing has surely helped Hyundai.

Ford
Having driven the beautiful Ikon for a long time, I have high regards for Ford in making driver centric cars. Yet, the high perceived(which in many instances is true)maintenance and a completely demotivated Sales team, the company is going from bad to worse.

They have mishandled the golden opportunity that Eco sport gave and passed on major business chunk to Terrano and Duster.
With the Ford Fiesta launch, is the company geared to handle the pressure or will it just be another lost opportunity?
Endy is gone. Classic is well! a Classic now. Figo has lost its sheen and Eco sport waiting period and dealer attitude has given competition much to cheer about.

Tata

Why are you not pushing a good existing line up? Where is the marketing team?
Manza is a great VFM sedan. It does everything well. Its the "Jack of all trades, master of none". Yet, it is seriously under valued.

You cant just wait for new products to flex your muscles. Bolt and Zest are yet to be tested.
And you have formidable and better perceived brands to compete with.
Tata has to pull up its socks and ensure they sell their current products and capitalize on newer launches once they hit the shelf!!

Honda

City.....Period!
Amaze is no longer amazing and I feel an interior upgrade will help!!
The CRv is a lost case and though Amaze and City will make the Japs happy, a closer introspection will reveal all its other cars are duds, be it the Brio or the CRv.

The Laggards
GM, Renault, Nissan, Fiat...
What is the way ahead? "Bharat Chodo" may well be a slogan for you all.
Where do you go from here. Mounting losses, disgruntled dealers and unhappy and uncertain customers.

Not a very happy situation.

Last edited by arnabchak : 12th June 2014 at 10:05.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 16:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

Of all the above mentioned manufacturers, I feel GM are the worst of the lot having spent more tie than many in the market.

No decent product and more importantly no intent of really coming out with innovative products are killing their presence. 3 Year GM promise and all will not help sales.

Renault is a one car wonder. Suppose with intense competition this sales declines, what is the back up. Like GTO mentioned, with 32X cars(leaving Duster) Sales, is there any way ahead?

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2014 at 09:52. Reason: Quoted post moved out of this thread
Old 12th June 2014, 19:26   #54
BHPian

a MUVing Story
MUV number are interesting, for a transporter the options are Innova, Evalia, Xylo, Tavera and Sumo (Excluding Ertiga for it wouldn't fit in a transporter's requirements). Innova with sales of 5560 is selling more than all its competition put together, despite its price. What explains this?

Further Tavera and Sumo are able to sell 1000+ and Xylo isn't selling even 700. Not too long ago Xylo was selling more than both of them. What's reason for such a big market rejection?

unafFORDable business
Ecosport has a huge queue and still Ford is supplying only 4000 to local market. Rest of their products have lesser and lesser takers. At this rate, it's dealer are going to desert it why are they not doing anything? Or are they looking at India only as an export hub?

the SCORPIOn king
Mahindra chose wrong vehicles to enhance (Xylo and Verito for Quanto and Vibe). Actually, I believe they were late by 2 years, had they launched Quanto and Vibe 2 years before they actually did, it would have been successful. With so many competitors both didn't had a chance. Quanto is not only competing with Ecosport, it's also competing with Dzire & Amaze - people who needed a Diesel 5 seater with a good boot, people who would have preferred a SUVish vehicle for its bad-road capabilities but are put off by its design, those small tyres and that uncomfortable second row seats. It's also overpriced when you compare it with the Xylo and the savings Mahindra would have done given the size & taxation.

The important question is will Mahindra make the same mistake again - of testing their vehicles for eternity and launching when the market has moved. Ensuring quality is necessity in this market, but if they wait for too long to launch new Bolero, W101 and Scorpio, market may have moved to newer models. Am I rational here or being reticent being disappointed with Quanto
satishchugh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 18:43   #55
Senior - BHPian

Good report as always. Just few comments from me:

Honda is the only company to watch out for other than Maruti and Hyundai in coming months. It is the only company which is rising for last few months, mainly with New Honda City. Interesting to see if it can sustain it. Brio twins loosing quite fast though. Grand i10 twins is going to hit Brio twins very hard along with Swift twins. With Mobilio and Jazz coming soon, Honda will climb up more. Maruti watch out.

Tata badly needs Bolt and Zest to succeed else its tough road ahead for them. Always wonder why Tata couldn't sell Sumo more, its a wonderful vehicle at that price. Very tough for rough use with loads of space inside and low maintenance. Nano needs more numbers, Twist is much better.

Mahindra is doing business as usual. Not very great but good show. Good to see numbers from Scorpio & XUV. Xylo need better show, its a quite capable car. They need complete makeover of it to compete with Innova.

Toyota is mainly Innova & Fortuner show. Corolla started good but need to see how it does after honeymoon is over. Liva twins are far behind competition now. Numbers are mainly from cab business, else it would have been disaster for them for sure.

Maruti is back in form again. With Ciaz launch & production increase for Celerio, they will increase the sales in coming months for sure. They need to launch SX4 cross ASAP at good price, it will give them more numbers.

Nothing much to write about Ford, Fiat, Nissan, Renault, Chevrolet and VW. Just the big names but overall very sad show in India.

Last edited by aniketi : 13th June 2014 at 18:47.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 14:48   #56
BHPian

What I understand is that Duster will come down in future. If not for Duster , Scorpio sales could have been higher.
Now buyers are going for Ford Ecosport. Most probably this might continue at least for another two years. It is very surprising that Innova sales are least affected even after so many years.
If I were to have money, I would go and buy Ford Ecosport for example.
Old 15th June 2014, 00:34   #57
BHPian

The Laggards
GM, Renault, Nissan, Fiat...
What is the way ahead? "Bharat Chodo" may well be a slogan for you all.
Where do you go from here. Mounting losses, disgruntled dealers and unhappy and uncertain customers.

Not a very happy situation.[/quote]

- GM is the only company I do not see any future for in India.
- Nissan with its Japanese origin may still swing upwards as Indian auto market is Japanese inclined. Moreover the problem with Nissan is that its another manufacturer which has taken Indians for granted. I mean if their 40 years old engine & gearbox in the NE118 was so refined then why cant they bring better petrol engines to India. Sunny's petrol (although being a 4 pot motor) is too harsh, unrefined and noisy to be termed petrol motor,
- Renault is seriously not doing anything European nor positioning their cars well to win hearts. All they have is Duster and the 1.4 litre diesel engine to boast of. Their fan following is only a budgeted SUV lover,
- FIAT is the only company for which the future looks most promising. With the kind of self created shackles they are in and making progress surely but slowly and with the advent of Jeeps, and some chunk of Indians passionate for FIATs only (reason well known as their products talk for themselves so what if the company doesn't nor do the so called auto jounos talk well about them predominantly) its sales curve can only go upwards.

I reiterate and believe that GMI has lost its case in India for sure and with the kind of mediocre hybrids they want to fool us Indians with I do not want to see them here either. I may sound critical for GMI car owners but having owned one and seeing there strategy I don't want anybody to fool Indians.
So please pardon me.

Cheers

Last edited by namit : 15th June 2014 at 00:41.
namit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 12:08   #58
BHPian

Superb Analysis as usual GTO! Many thanks to parrys for such clear visual representation of a large set of data...

Trends seen are of actually no surprise. Maruti and Hyundai have proven time and time again that they understand the Indian customer and Xcent, Grandi10, Celerio, Dzire again prove this.

GM, as most of the members have mentioned, have lost their act somewhere and there are no such cars in their stable to really appeal to the market... the Spark is really aging and the relaunched Sail has really not taken off.

For me the most unexpected result was one of FIAT. In Chandigarh / Punjab, I see quite a few Puntos and Lineas (with temp # plates) and was feeling that all the hard work of making separate dealers, FIAT Caffe and advertising along with refreshed interiors and exteriors, FIAT sales would have improved. However, April & May sales are half of Jan - Mar average.

Even after all these inputs, very disappointing.
Old 15th June 2014, 12:17   #59
BHPian

Sad to see Fiat not getting numbers inspite of new dealerships and good value for money products. Maybe some new launches in the near future will help
Old 15th June 2014, 20:47   #60
BHPian

Good going for Maruti dzire and very impressed that it over took the much sold Alto. i am not very impressed with city but still good to see beat the best seller verna! ford is not doing too well with Figo/Classic and not one Fiesta sold?? i am shocked to see a good car doing very bad.

Sad to see GM/Fiat not picking up on the sales even with refreshed cars.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed