Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:47   #136
BANNED

Re: 2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look

I am so dissapointed that Fiesta has not been launched in Petrol variant.
I was so looking forward to check that one out and probably buy it as well :(
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:18   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
I am so dissapointed that Fiesta has not been launched in Petrol variant.
I was so looking forward to check that one out and probably buy it as well :(
Mate, my feeling is that if the diesel model proves to be succesful, they might go ahead and bring in the petrol model also.
On the contrary, given that they have access already to the ecoboost model, they should have launched the car with ecoboost engine also. That ecoboost mill would have nicely complimented the driving dynamics of the fiesta.
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:24   #138
BANNED

Ecoboost with DCT would be a done deal for me.
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:26   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Mate, my feeling is that if the diesel model proves to be succesful, they might go ahead and bring in the petrol model also.
On the contrary, given that they have access already to the ecoboost model, they should have launched the car with ecoboost engine also. That ecoboost mill would have nicely complimented the driving dynamics of the fiesta.
I still think, Ford might have missed the boat this time also. With the Petrol Ambient's price, they could have advertised an entry price of ~6.5L (or 5.99L for a stripped down version) which would have been much more "shocking" than the current ~7.5L. Remember, Ecosport's entry price of 5.5L brought the customers flocking to the showrooms. It is a different matter that most of them upgraded/forced to upgrade to pricier variants. In the case of the Fiesta, a base petrol variant with minimal features would have given them much advertisement potential.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:28   #140
BHPian

Ecoboost would have been perfect, but normal petrol also is fine. But no petrol engine is a deal breaker!
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:31   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
I still think, Ford might have missed the boat this time also. With the Petrol Ambient's price, they could have advertised an entry price of ~6.5L (or 5.99L for a stripped down version) which would have been much more "shocking" than the current ~7.5L. Remember, Ecosport's entry price of 5.5L brought the customers flocking to the showrooms. It is a different matter that most of them upgraded/forced to upgrade to pricier variants. In the case of the Fiesta, a base petrol variant with minimal features would have given them much advertisement potential.
Dear Blacksport

That strategy could well be reserved for the Figo Sedan that Ford in contemplating to launch in the near future.
So they did not want to cannibalize on the prospect of the Fiesta and also portray an image of a entry level sedan against the C1/2 segment it currently holds.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:37   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
I still think, Ford might have missed the boat this time also. With the Petrol Ambient's price, they could have advertised an entry price of ~6.5L (or 5.99L for a stripped down version) which would have been much more "shocking" than the current ~7.5L.
It may work in selling a candy, but I doubt it will help here. Bringing someone to showroom is one thing but how many of those "6.5L customers" will be stretching their budget to 9L? May be one or two, but not many I guess. But I do agree that Ford might sell few more if they had petrol option, but I still think that will only be a fraction of the diesel ones.
Old 23rd June 2014, 16:10   #143
BHPian

A price drop doing the magic !

Fail to understand this:
An auto enthusiast looking for a good performer, with other aspects being decent [looks, A.S.S ..] would have picked up earlier version of the car too? Had this been only these cosmetic changes + NO price correction, will you still go for this?

Being a Figo's user, I would have picked, either way .
SRKHYD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 16:31   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRKHYD View Post
Fail to understand this:
An auto enthusiast looking for a good performer, with other aspects being decent [looks, A.S.S ..] would have picked up earlier version of the car too? Had this been only these cosmetic changes + NO price correction, will you still go for this?
Good point. As already mentioned in the report, the old Fiesta at launch outpriced both the Honda City and the Vento Tdi and as such both petrol and diesel variants were immediately tagged non-VFM by potential buyers. Also A.S.S. perception among non-owners is a bit negative, a fact admitted by Ford officials when we spoke to them.

My feeling is that by making the facelift eye-candy, that too at a much reduced price, Ford hopes to position it right up there in terms of desirability by potential buyers. As pointed out by another member the only cheaper C2 option right now is the Linea Classic which is essentially a powered-down cut-price variant unlike the fully loaded Fiesta. It offers an alternative to those who are currently buying the top variants of Dzire and Sunny, for example and can stretch a bit.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 16:38   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Very true. We actually told the Ford marketing VP exactly the same citing the example of the Vento TSI.

The problem they told us is that the Ecoboost Ecosport already has a low demand. The engine is completely imported leading to higher cost. The cost difference between diesel Ecosport and the Ecoboost variant is like 40K.

If they did this in the Fiesta, the Ecoboost will be the most expensive petrol option in the segment. Now if they add the Powershift DCT gearbox, the petrol AT will be significantly higher than the diesel. This will really kill the numbers.
Highly tenuous logic on Ford's part. Aren't the Vento TSI or the City VX CVT the most expensive variants? I understand that the Ecoboost is imported but I find it difficult to believe that Ford's cost structure is higher than VW's (engine/gearbox in the TSI are imported as well.)

As others have said, this is a driver's car and deserves a powerplant/transmission that can exploit that. Ford's thinking betrays a very rudimentary and unsophisticated view of the market.
Old 23rd June 2014, 16:52   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It basically means the Titanium Ecosport and Fiesta Titanium are priced almost the same. Oh how I wish I had waited. Apart from the additional ground clearance in the Ecosport, the Fiesta is a joy to drive.
If Ford had launched the EcoBoost, I'd have been feeling similarly
Old 23rd June 2014, 17:26   #147
Senior - BHPian

I have never liked most of Ford's recent cars, the older Fiesta for being too expensive and having a quirky rear, the Ecosport for being too small. But the refreshed Fiesta is certainly a good addition.

Looks like Ford is finally started to think ahead for the class. But the petrol is a sad omission. It would have pulled lot of low usage buyers. An Ecoboost engine with Auto shift will be a great addition in the future.
Old 23rd June 2014, 22:57   #148
BHPian

Didn't think the new Fiesta is this much good in looks and features.
Anyway, Ford has learned from past experience and priced well this time.
The base model is the cheapest among competition and a real-value for money. There are many things to like about the car, but one thing that always caught my attention was the chunky door handles, haven't seen that kind of in Merc's or Beemers too! Wish Fiesta catch up on market with this version, i mean the cars that are well built and drive extremely well never grabbed sales,( Linea, Fiesta). Both are on the market for their 2nd innings, wish the best
Old 23rd June 2014, 22:58   #149

The Ford Fiesta front page ad in the TOI wasn't great, but the front grille of the Ford Fiesta sure was! This got me to the showroom over the weekend for a test drive.

The first thing that grabbed my attention when I sat in the car was the excellent support offered by the seat backrest. It seems to just hug the back into a comfortable position. The dashboard, while not the best I've seen, is miles ahead of so many other cars in the segment.

Driving the Fiesta was sheer pleasure. I do not expect the Fiesta to be the fastest to 100 in its segment, but it does satisfy in getting there. The steering felt precise, and the gear shift, smooth. I actually liked the design and ergonomics of the gear knob.

Unfortunately, I did not test the SYNC system, and hence, am unable to comment on it.

As far as aesthetics are concerned, the front grille gives the car an aggressive look. The rear though, IMHO, is nothing to write home about. The other disappointment was the backseat space, or lack of it. A six-footer is going to struggle in the less-than-generous seat.

All in all, I came away quite impressed, and am sure to give this car a very serious thought when I change my car later this year. How I wish there was a petrol option though!
Old 23rd June 2014, 23:01   #150
BHPian

cant make sense of it - more i see the new fiesta, more i fall in love with the elegant Classic. duh.
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed