Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2014, 20:24   #61
BHPian

I wish they had launched the fiesta hatch instead!! That is a real looker after the new front grill. I would have happily traded in my Figo. The butt of the sedan is still bulbous to my liking.

Does the trend and ambiente have the plain bluetooth connectivity instead of the full fledged applink business.
Old 20th June 2014, 20:36   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
I wish they had launched the fiesta hatch instead!! That is a real looker after the new front grill. I would have happily traded in my Figo. The butt of the sedan is still bulbous to my liking.

Does the trend and ambiente have the plain bluetooth connectivity instead of the full fledged applink business.
Ambiente does not even have an ICE. Sync with app link is only present in the titanium. Trend only has CD/MP3/USB/AUX does not have Bluetooth connectivity as far as I know. Strange considering all models of ecosport have Bluetooth connectivity. I would love if anyone can clear this as the brochure does not clarify this.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 00:23   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Ford Fiesta to be facelifted in 2014 *EDIT* Now launched @ 7.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Many are saying shocking pricing by ford. Instead, it was shocking pricing when it was launched. They merely corrected it.
Nothing wrong with learning a lesson from an earlier mistake, and thereby rectifying it thereafter. Remember, the facelifted Jazz came with revised prices and still commanded a fair number of bookings when it was finally taken off production by Honda Cars India.

In fact, the facelifted Fiesta looks more premium than it's older counterpart both inside and outside (I am sure our official review will put a clearer light on this). If the fit and finish on the older model was good, then the facelift's fit and finish is better than before.

Cost-cutting, if any, isn't evident much from anywhere (except for the alloys, if you ask me). The front looks more premium than before, the swept-back, swooping headlamps add a lot of sophistication to the nose, even the chrome bits have been very tastefully applied. Interior-wise, the glossy black center console looks every bit as premium as the immediate competition (read: Honda City), dirt/fingerprint magnet notwithstanding. The seats look improved, and the driving dynamics of the Fiesta have always been unparalleled in the segment (only the Vento/Rapid twins come close). Combine that to a pretty refined and frugal diesel powertrain, and IMO Ford has a winner on their cards right here. And now, with this dynamite pricing, they have thrown the whole C2-segment arena wide open!

The feature-list of the Fiesta was always long, and it got longer with the facelift. True, that some features are missing in the entry and mid variants, but all of them are offered on the top Titanium variant, which is, according to the price chart which I posted earlier in the thread here, MUCH cheaper than ALL of it's competitors' mid-variants. Maybe they wanted to set a cat among the pigeons with this pricing, or they are wary of future diesel sales, since there has been a marked increase in petrol-car sales over the past several months, since diesel's prices have started to increase and the gap between diesel-petrol prices has lessened.

Either way, in short, with the same amount of rupees which get you the top Titanium variant of the Fiesta, you get (give or take a few rupees):

- the Vento Comfortline (3000 rupees cheaper),
- the Rapid Ambition Ultima (12000 rupees dearer),
- the City SV-MT (27000 rupees dearer),
- the Verna 1.4 CX,
- the Linea Dynamic (1000 rupees cheaper),
- the Scala RxL Travelogue Edition (2000 rupees dearer), and
- the Sunny XV Special Edition (26000 rupees dearer).

In fact, the Fiesta is nearer to it's own sibling, the EcoSport's second-top model, at a mere 22,000 rupees difference. ONLY the Sunny and the EcoSport match the Fiesta's present pricing, and that translates to a tremendous VFM introductory pricing for this C2-segment challenger.

Need I mention that the entire Verna 1.6 diesel lineup STARTS from where the Fiesta Titanium pricing ENDS?!

And for that absolutely stunning VFM price, you get - premium & strong build, fantastic front looks, an out-and-out driver's car, tried and tested powertrain, and a bunch of class-matching features, some of which are yet to be introduced in other same-segment offerings.

How will this "rectified" pricing translate to sales, will be evident in the sales figures of the next few months, but the facelifted Fiesta should definitely do well IMO.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 21st June 2014 at 00:26.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 08:05   #64
BHPian

The vehicle does look good. Whether the vehicle happens to be a success or not depends on market's response to the vehicle. I suspect that in our country people might prefer Eco Sport to the Fiesta. There is nothing shocking about the prices or VFM. This should have been the price right from day-1 of the new Fiesta. And more importantly whether Ford sells Eco Sport or Fiesta or not they do know how to keep certain threads alive as can be seen from this thread and the Eco Sport thread (before the launch)
Old 21st June 2014, 13:02   #65
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I was a bit apprehensive about Ford's ability to breathe fresh life into the Fiesta, but it looks like they have managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat with the new prices. The car that appealed most to the heart now makes a strong appeal to the head too.

The front looks sharp and sexy now. It's only the rear that needs more plastic surgery, but it's still an improvement over the earlier one. I'm not a fan of the new alloy design either.

The Fiesta (like most EU Fords) has this delightful ability to corner on rails. It's good that they have discontinued the 1.5 TiVCT, as it's poor on everyday drivability. If the diesel turns out to be a hit, they can introduce the 1.0 EcoBoost later - what a stonker that would be!

I hope they've improved the rear seat. With the wheelbase remaining the same, they cannot improve legroom by much, but using better seats can improve the comfort by a fair margin. Hopefully, the uncomfortable rear armrest and headrests have been replaced by something better.

The icing on the cake - they seem to have done a few tweaks to the 1.5 TDCi and are now claiming a fuel efficiency (ARAI) of 25+ kmpl.

Last edited by RSR : 21st June 2014 at 13:05.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 13:48   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
It's good that they have discontinued the 1.5 TiVCT, as it's poor on everyday drivability.
How can not having a petrol option be good? I am loving the car, but I don't need a diesel, for running<500km a month, petrol makes sense. Just imagine a starting price of <6.75. Yes, ecoboost is any day better and 1.5 TiVCT was not good really, but still, it should have been there for people like me.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 14:19   #67
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Cost-cutting, if any, isn't evident much from anywhere (except for the alloys, if you ask me).
I guess the only deletion is the "Boron" Steel used in the pre-facelifted Fiesta. This must have saved Ford a lot of money and made it possible for them to price the car competitively.
Old 21st June 2014, 14:24   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I guess the only deletion is the "Boron" Steel used in the pre-facelifted Fiesta. This must have saved Ford a lot of money and made it possible for them to price the car competitively.
I don't remember that this is removed. They haven't changed anything structurally. Even the new press release mentions the use of boron steel:

Quote:
The 2014 Ford Fiesta has been designed to provide high levels of protection and driver support through a range of advanced active and passive safety features. The premium sedan boasts of a rigid body structure which offers uncompromised safety. A large part of the vehicle’s structure uses high-strength steel with ultra-strong boron steel reinforcing several key points.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 14:26   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Not everyone wants a petrol car. Majority of enthusiasts want performance but shy away from petrol's. Case in point is the T-Jet, Polo GT TSI and Octavia 1.8TSi.
But those who want a petrol won't go for anything else. And that is where Ford has missed a trick. They've ceded the market for a high-tech auto petrol to Honda and VW when they could easily compete with the Ecoboost and DCT combo. That car will sell in limited numbers but, I feel, it's easier to manage low demand for a niche product than it is for a blockbuster. Just look at VW with the Polo and Vento TSI - demand far outstrips supply and that is an enviable position to be in.
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 15:33   #70
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look

Mod Note: Noopster's Report has been moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.

Additionally, post-launch posts have been moved from the old thread to this report.

Thanks!
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 15:56   #71
Senior - BHPian

Excellent report by the two mods, and hats off to Ford. I am sure sales figures will see a surge from near zero levels now.

I will try to check my Fiesta SXi and see what kind of hinges it has on the rear armrest. I will revert soon.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 16:00   #72
BHPian

@Vid6639

Does the build quality seem as solid as the earlier car ? Some members were apprehensive that Ford might have compromised the build quality in order to reduce the prices.
Old 21st June 2014, 16:05   #73
BHPian

Excellent report noopster. Your eye for detail is fantastic. Any idea when applink for the ecosport will be out. I think with time more apps developed for the applink will make it very useful. I would love to have it. And considering the better EPS unit in the fiesta I should be canceling my ecosport titanium booking and going in for the fiesta instead.
Another off topic question how do you find the back seat of the fiesta compared to the Eco sport. I know they belong to different segments but considering they are priced similarly there ought to b a comparison. And the interior quality does look much better than the ecosport. Ford certainly has a winner here but it might also cannibalize the ecosports sales.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 16:23   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmaxfan View Post
@Vid6639

Does the build quality seem as solid as the earlier car ? Some members were apprehensive that Ford might have compromised the build quality in order to reduce the prices.
Build quality is as solid as the older Fiesta. There is absolutely no compromise in build quality. Doors are super heavy and close with a solid Thud. Sheet metal is super thick like the Linea. The Hyundai Verna and Honda City don't even come close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Another off topic question how do you find the back seat of the fiesta compared to the Eco sport. I know they belong to different segments but considering they are priced similarly there ought to b a comparison. And the interior quality does look much better than the ecosport. Ford certainly has a winner here but it might also cannibalize the ecosports sales.
The Ecosport has a better back seat. Space is more and the raised seating is very comfortable due to good underthigh support. The back rest in Ecosport is reclinable so that adds another flexibility to the rear seats. However the Ecosport has stiffer ride and lack of rear arm rest.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 16:33   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Ecosport has a better back seat. Space is more and the raised seating is very comfortable due to good underthigh support. The back rest in Ecosport is reclinable so that adds another flexibility to the rear seats. However the Ecosport has stiffer ride and lack of rear arm rest.
Agreed. If rear seat space is the main factor, EcoSport probably makes more sense than the Fiesta, which admittedly is cramped in the back. However the scooped-out front seat backs help optimise available space and we found the back-seat ride of the Fiesta excellent even as the car was thrown about some lovely twisties, so it should really not be a deal-breaker.

Also, someone asked earlier why they would buy an underpowered engine like the Fiesta's when much higher rated ones are on offer in the segment: trust me, the Fiesta's 90 horses sound low but it doesn't feel underpowered while driving. Turbo lag is extremely manageable and the engine holds its own in the city as well as the highway. RPM at 100 kmph in 5th (top) gear is around 2100 rpm and at 120, around 2500 rpm. While the Vento's TDI is a stonker no doubt, the softer clutch, lower NVH and weightier steering make driving the Fiesta quite an enjoyable experience.
noopster is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed