Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th December 2017, 19:44   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash24979 View Post
Congrats on your purchase!! The unit looks cool.
Can the same unit be fitted on Trend version of the car? The Trend version does not have phone or Bluetooth connectivity and the steering controls are only for controlling media.

Did you fit it yourself or took 'professional' help?
You can ask the seller. She is very responsive.

Personal opinion is - Most likely it will work as the deck here has a Ford firmware installed with it in the canbus. So you would end up enabling Bluetooth in your car. It has to fit the existing deck that is all.

I got it professionally installed. It is plug and play so you won’t need to cut and splice wires.
Old 20th December 2017, 18:20   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Next to arrive - Steering wheel leather cover, from seller "Shining Wheat"

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hand...311.0.0.8zUzan

Cost -

$22.99 per piece, that I got for about $15 in the 11/11 Aliexpress sale.

Product -

Leather steering wheel cover. Comes with a reel of strong twine, a needle, double sided tape, a scraper and a thimble to protect the fingers.

Installed by -

VV Car Decors, Semmanchery, Chennai

What I like about the product -

Medium quality leather steering wheel cover - this is a real steal at this low a price. Equivalent models are at least several hundred rupees costlier. This one cost approx Rs.1100 so it was actually cheaper than the cost of the installation (Rs.1700).

Installation process -

Disconnect battery

Remove airbag, connector wires from steering wheel after marking wheel, connector etc position to ensure no errors when reinstalling the wheel

Unmount steering wheel

Fit steering wheel cover - laborious process, 3+ hours of hand stitching the cover onto the wheel

Mount steering wheel back again after replacing airbag and connectors

Total installation cost - Rs.1700

Time taken - approximately 4 1/2 hours.

Impressions

Professional installation, decent quality of steering wheel cover. Looks close to factory fit.

Pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-wheat6.jpeg  

2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-wheat5.jpeg  

2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-wheat4.jpeg  

2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-wheat2.jpeg  

Attached Images

hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 08:00   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Next item installed - Reverse Camera

Manufacturer - Xeowyn, the same as the stereo.

Currently priced at $13.76 with $3.41 shipping. The shipping was free during the Aliexpress sale especially as I bought the Android stereo from the same store (Navitech). Shipping delays meant that they turned up at two different times.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/nigh...311.0.0.bq1Fgk

The camera came attached to a small rectangular piece of clear plastic that is basically the cover of one of the lamps mounted above the Fiesta's rear number plate. RCA connectors were included, and two bare wires were provided for power.

Installation involved removing the bulb and splicing the camera wires into the bulb's wiring. Pity the bulb couldn't be eased out and a similar connector for the camera provided :( This is the only part of the install that was not plug and play.

The image quality is excellent and crystal clear during day, and quite acceptable at night.

Pasted from the manufacturer's datasheet -

HD IC imported from the USA, Lens imported from Korea
CCD imaging sensor.
Supports PAL/NTSC
High grade of waterproofing: IP67.
140-170 degree wide viewing angle.
480 TVL (analog "TV lines" roughly equivalent to 1080p) HD resolution
.01 lux illumination for night vision
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-camera2.jpeg  

Attached Images

hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 21:16   #1009
Senior - BHPian

The tpms arrived and I fitted them.

One major issue - they’re compatible to ford oem (drop in replacement for a particular Ford part number) but my car doesn’t have any tpms module installed :(

That at least is my impression because the seller said I just had to put the car into enter the ID numbers of each tpms part into my car OBD - but when I scanned my car using a rather limited obd tool it didn’t detect any tpms and nor did a tpms light come on asking me to configure it.

How do you put the all new fiesta into programming mode anyway? Two methods on YouTube ask me to either click the parking light on and off or press the start button multiple times in a sequence. Neither seems to work.

So that’s 40 or so dollars down the drain and I ordered a separate tpms set that comes with its own module. This new one is branded Steelmate and there’s one or two favourable tbhp reviews of the product so am waiting for it to arrive.
http://s.aliexpress.com/Ar2Iv63m

Last edited by hserus : 1st January 2018 at 21:19.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 22:18   #1010
BHPian

A great post and a useful tip! Where in Chennai did you get your head unit installed? i am looking to get one for my fiesta too
Old 9th January 2018, 05:26   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
A great post and a useful tip! Where in Chennai did you get your head unit installed? i am looking to get one for my fiesta too
The installation was done at Power Zone (1 Whites Road, opposite the EA mall, but you need to come through the GP Road side because Whites Road is one way).

Please fix an appointment with the owner Saravana Prabhu because he does all the work himself and he only comes there by 11 o clock. https://g.co/kgs/1kbwek

Note - when you buy it from Aliexpress there are similar head units available from other sellers there too, some more powerful than this one but the one I bought (Xeowyn brand from Navitech) had several verified buys and lots of positive ratings so I figured I would stick with it.
Old 9th January 2018, 08:59   #1012
BHPian

Thanks. I ll get the same unit along with the reverse camera.. how much did he charge you for the installation for the head unit and the reverse camera?
Old 9th January 2018, 09:14   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I ll get the same unit along with the reverse camera.. how much did he charge you for the installation for the head unit and the reverse camera?
He charged me 2500 for the HU and I got the reverse camera installed elsewhere (VV Car Decors in Semmanchery on the OMR) as it arrived later.

I guess there won't be much incremental charge for the reverse camera, and anything else you order eg a dashcam that they have, and a USB TPMS which the same store has, if you get it all fitted at the same time.

Buy the reverse camera in the link I provided in an earlier post, it fits perfectly into one of the lights on the boot lid so you don't have to punch a hole in your bumper.
Old 9th January 2018, 09:57   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
He charged me 2500 for the HU and I got the reverse camera installed elsewhere (VV Car Decors in Semmanchery on the OMR) as it arrived later.
I have ordered both the head unit and reverse cam from Navitech store. The HU is shipped via GATI and the other one via China post but both are set to arrive weeks apart. I hope i have the same luck with unit and customs as you had

I'll be in touch with Saravana once it arrives. Thanks again!

I forgot to ask, Did the voice control work as before? I use this extensively for making calls.. so a bit concerned if it would continue to work as is

Last edited by moralfibre : 16th January 2018 at 19:05. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 9th January 2018, 10:34   #1015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I forgot to ask, Did the voice control work as before? I use this extensively for making calls.. so a bit concerned if it would continue to work as is
Voice control I haven't tested but it seems to exist. It never did pick up my voice properly anyway even with the original HU.

As regards the Gati vs China Post, just contact the seller and have her ship both the packages in the same parcel. That will save you some trouble.

(edit - I messaged the seller and she will ship you both together in GATI, it'll arrive a bit faster that way than by speedpost).

Last edited by hserus : 9th January 2018 at 10:49.
Old 16th January 2018, 17:57   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Just bumping this thread.

Quote:
How do you put the all new fiesta into programming mode anyway? Two methods on YouTube ask me to either click the parking light on and off or press the start button multiple times in a sequence. Neither seems to work.
This one don't seem to work for me, nor does one that suggested turning the emergency light on and off.

Quote:
The tpms arrived and I fitted them.

One major issue - theyíre compatible to ford oem (drop in replacement for a particular Ford part number) but my car doesnít have any tpms module installed :(

That at least is my impression because the seller said I just had to put the car into enter the ID numbers of each tpms part into my car OBD - but when I scanned my car using a rather limited obd tool it didnít detect any tpms and nor did a tpms light come on asking me to configure it.

So thatís 40 or so dollars down the drain and I ordered a separate tpms set that comes with its own module. This new one is branded Steelmate and thereís one or two favourable tbhp reviews of the product so am waiting for it to arrive.
http://s.aliexpress.com/Ar2Iv63m
Old 16th January 2018, 19:00   #1017
BHPian

Thanks for your help.

Its a waiting game now. How is the performance of the HU so far? Did you get the OBD2 to work with the HU?

Did you ever consider LED headlights or DRLs?

LED headlights, LED DRLs

I was thinking of updating these after I get the HU installed..

Quote:
(edit - I messaged the seller and she will ship you both together in GATI, it'll arrive a bit faster that way than by speedpost).
Old 16th January 2018, 19:11   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your help.

Its a waiting game now. How is the performance of the HU so far? Did you get the OBD2 to work with the HU?

Did you ever consider LED headlights or DRLs?
OK - the OBD2 works but

1. It doesn't pair with my iPhone due to Bluetooth incompatibility issues.

2. For some reason the Android HU insists the bluetooth password (1234) is wrong

3. It pairs with Android tabs / phones just fine with 1234

4. It seems to be able to read the car's OBD2 data just fine, but the bluetooth issues render it of very limited use. And I have a feeling it is read only + with the option of clearing errors, editing OBD2 settings isn't possible with this one.

Even if I did get it to pair with the Android HU, the problem is that it only accepts one paired device at a time, and tends to disconnect existing paired devices if you pair a new device.

When I am on highway drives I need my iPhone paired with the car.

If the OBD2 were able to pair with the HU and give me an in dash display with the Torque android app, that'd be just great - but I have no particular wish to pair it with a smartphone or tab and have to keep glancing at it as needed.

I am not going to mess with the car's electrics by installing LED / DRLs for the time being. I have Philips Xtreme Vision Plus at 60/55W and they do a decent enough job for me.
Old 17th January 2018, 11:53   #1019
Senior - BHPian

I noticed the car due to a strong Aston influence on the front end. Let us hope they do better than the previous versions. Those almost sunk without a trace.
Old 17th January 2018, 12:02   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I noticed the car due to a strong Aston influence on the front end. Let us hope they do better than the previous versions. Those almost sunk without a trace.
The Fiesta hasn't been introduced after 2014 in India, more's the pity. However Indianized (cut down in the # of accessories, build quality etc) stuff keeps turning up.

The Aston Martin type grill is part of Ford's design language now looks like .. and many others (Hyundai, for example) are lifting that look as well with minor changes.

Most Viewed