Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:31   #211
BHPian

Re: 2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
The seats are too small to accommodate a more than average frame. Its too buckety and if I get sweat on my lumbar now I am going to get the sweats on the sides too, its that hugging.
Very surprised to hear this perspective. Of course, not to say it's not a valid one. I had a Corsa and then replaced that with Linea, which has very wide seats with not much 'hugging' that you are talking about. And guess what, I felt terrible for the first few months trying to adjust to the seats. Eventually got adjusted to it, but last week happened to drive my neighbor's Polo and felt like "wow, so, this is what I am missing from my Linea" - it was that good. In fact, having heard the reviews, I have kind of mentally marked the Fiesta as potentially my future car.

I am 5' 11" with broad shoulders and average built, and I can tell you this: At the end of almost all my long drives in my Linea I become tired, which never happened in the Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
That's fair enough and understandable, but when rear seat is seldom occupied and is not even a consideration, why the sedan?
Why, we are small family of a couple, a 6 year old and a dog but often go on long drives with lot of baggage, which makes the boot mandatory. So, regardless of whether the back row is occupied or not, there are situations when the boot is a must. And hence a need for the sedan. Makes sense?
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:35   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's fair enough and understandable, but when rear seat is seldom occupied and is not even a consideration, why the sedan? Only for driving dynamics? If yes, aren't there any hatchbacks which have equally good driving dynamics? Just trying to understand. I thought sedans were primary for more space for passengers and/or more luggage carrying capacity in the boot. And like many members have claimed in many other threads, maybe as for status symbol? Majority of comments here makes me believe my thinking so far, has been wrong (hence the need to clarify and/or re-understand).
Perhaps because,
1. The Fiesta Hatch isn't available here.
2. Even if the Fiesta hatch is available (The Polo TSi is already available) people at home aren't going to approve 9+L for a turbo petrol/diesel hatch. Might result in divorce, expulsion etc.
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:46   #213
BHPian

Quote:
That's fair enough and understandable, but when rear seat is seldom occupied and is not even a consideration, why the sedan? Only for driving dynamics? If yes, aren't there any hatchbacks which have equally good driving dynamics? Just trying to understand. I thought sedans were primary for more space for passengers and/or more luggage carrying capacity in the boot. And like many members have claimed in many other threads, maybe as for status symbol? Majority of comments here makes me believe my thinking so far, has been wrong (hence the need to clarify and/or re-understand).
If the Fiesta hatch is available in India, it would get my vote over the sedan. Show me a hatch that is as fun-to-drive as the Fiesta, and I would happily shift my preference to that.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:57   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Why, we are small family of a couple, a 6 year old and a dog but often go on long drives with lot of baggage, which makes the boot mandatory. So, regardless of whether the back row is occupied or not, there are situations when the boot is a must. And hence a need for the sedan. Makes sense?
Quote:
That's fair enough and understandable, but when rear seat is seldom occupied and is not even a consideration, why the sedan? .................................................. .......................................... I thought sedans were primary for more space for passengers and/or more luggage carrying capacity in the boot................
You tell me You edited a little more than you should have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Perhaps because,
1. The Fiesta Hatch isn't available here.
2. Even if the Fiesta hatch is available (The Polo TSi is already available) people at home aren't going to approve 9+L for a turbo petrol/diesel hatch. Might result in divorce, expulsion etc.
LOL.. Gotta agree on point no.2. And yes, the Fiesta hatch would have been awesome (the newly announced Red Fiesta 140bhp EcoBoost is my phone's wallpaper since a while). It's HOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
If the Fiesta hatch is available in India, it would get my vote over the sedan. Show me a hatch that is as fun-to-drive as the Fiesta, and I would happily shift my preference to that.
The Polo GT TSI/TDI? Do you not think they are dynamic to drive (assuming we're still only speaking only of the car, not service). I agree about the Fiesta hatch though. If only they were available here (with the ecoboost). Yumm, then.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:07   #215
BHPian

Quote:
The Polo GT TSI/TDI? Do you not think they are dynamic to drive (assuming we're still only speaking only of the car, not service). I agree about the Fiesta hatch though. If only they were available here (with the ecoboost). Yumm, then.
In real life I would buy the Polo TSi over the Fiesta, but that is for the TSi engine than the dynamics. I haven't driven one, but I think expert opinion is that its steering lacks feel.
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:30   #216
BHPian

Quote:
You tell me You edited a little more than you should have?
I think it's alright. If you are talking about this:

"I thought sedans were primary for more space for passengers and/or more luggage carrying capacity in the boot."

That is not entirely correct, because it puts "space for passengers" and luggage in the same sentence. It should only be, "sedans are for luggage carrying capacity". Now when I am talking about luggage, I mean the boot and NOT back seat. I don't want to put all sort of junks on the seat. That's what boot is for. To put in other words, there is a genuine reason to choose a sedan with less cabin space over a hatchback with lesser cabin space.
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:45   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post

"I thought sedans were primary for more space for passengers and/or more luggage carrying capacity in the boot."

To put in other words, there is a genuine reason to choose a sedan with less cabin space over a hatchback with lesser cabin space.
All due respect to your thought prakash_ajp but I think this is not quite as straight forward or as easy as it seems.

Sedans technically, must offer lot more space and comfort over a hatch back. But then again, there are so many new hatches available in the market today which can put some sedans to shame when it comes to comfort. So, at the end of the day it all comes down to one's choice.

Just because one owns a Sedan does not equate to the fact that it is used as a 'Goods Carrier' by the owner and nor does a hatch owner come through as a Stag with nobody to occupy the passenger seat.

In my case, I never really once thought that Verna would be used to carry lots of people/luggage or I would end up with no co-travellers if I bought the Polo GT for the lack of space. I just Loved the way Polo GT Connected with me on its very first drive and nothing beyond.

With respect to Fiesta, some buyers may get them home for either 'Neighbors Envy' or 'Affordable Aston Martin' looks.
But I genuinely believe that the Current Fiesta Facelift is a Brilliant car and that there will be heck-a-lot more people who will buy this for what it really is.
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:51   #218
BHPian

Quote:

Well, when you asked for members to 'come up with more relevant points' compared to seat space and driving dynamics, I thought you were claiming there are things like ICE and others that are 'more relevant' to rear seating space in a sedan. Those 2 words being the trigger for my post. I understand now that it's your requirement to learn more about other features beyond of these 2 points that you've established already.
You are right there. It was my bad indeed, those words were confusing. What I really meant to say is that somebody who is browsing through this thread would like to see more, other features to be talked about too.

On another note, I think to have good driving dynamics, we don't have much options. In the hatchback category, if somebody has a budget of 8-9L, he can only have a Polo 1.2, as GT is costlier. Swift is a bit FTD, but Fiesta's driving dynamics are in a diff. league. So, 7.69 ex-showroom Delhi is too much mouth watering, if somebody is looking for good driving dynamics as the key. Also, you are totally right when you mentioned the big car image factor. Even enthusiasts (not all) would want to have a sedan over a hatchback. After all it is just 20-30 cm longer, and having longer wheelbase is always a plus for highway stability.
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:09   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
All due respect to your thought prakash_ajp but I think this is not quite as straight forward or as easy as it seems.

Sedans technically, must offer lot more space and comfort over a hatch back. But then again, there are so many new hatches available in the market today which can put some sedans to shame when it comes to comfort. So, at the end of the day it all comes down to one's choice.
What I had put in quotes was from k_ajay that I was referring to. Our market and some Asian markets are different from American or European ones. In a country like America, people buy as big a car as they can afford, so invariably features (including space) is proportionate to size. But here in India, there are so many people who do not take their car outside their city, but they still want all the comfort and luxury they can afford but never find a need for a boot. That's why we see hatchbacks that have much nicer cabin than many sedans.

Having gone through some of the comments and even being involved in a couple myself, I am wondering why we are having arguments comparing different features? We can't possibly conclude anything worthwhile by comparing a boot space with back seat space or all disk brake vs engine. I thought as a matured community, we should have come past that, shouldn't we?

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd July 2014 at 20:35.
prakash_ajp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 18:45   #220
BHPian

I see a lot of people wondering why the hell would someone buy a Fiesta over a premium hatchback (<10lac).

I believe there are several strong use cases when one will do it:
1. Most people tend to show more respect to a sedan in India compared to a hatchback. If someone has 1-2 lac extra money, (s)he would always prefer the sedan
2. I used to like even the old Fiesta. With the facelift, its an absolute looker. Its also well built. Many people appreciate beauty a lot and can be ready to compromise on few shortcomings just for the droll factor.
3. Fiesta is a FTD sedan in spite of lower power compared to its competitors (thanks to steering, handling, suspension)

As far as small families are concerned, a person with the means would definitely prefer a sedan for carrying luggage on weekend and other long drives. No matter what, carrying 2-3 suitcases in the boot of a hatch isnt possible. And storing them in the back seat would definitely be an eye-sore to onlookers. Seats are actually meant to carry people, not luggage after all.
arit.mondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 19:38   #221
BHPian

The new fiesta is definite a refreshing change over the earlier one esp with the big 'Aston Martin' type of grill and dynamic design. They hv got the price point right this time around. What's left to be seen is whether ppl will give it a thumbs up this time around. Ford is known for its well built cars but to sell in an era of a new gen City would be a tough task considering the blind faith ppl hv in Honda. I still find many ppl not comfortable with the 'Ford' badge on their car. Ecosport did a great job. Let's see how fiesta does! !

Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd July 2014 at 20:37. Reason: Please do not use SMS words. ppl = people, hv = have
Old 3rd July 2014, 23:43   #222
Senior - BHPian

Its ironic how Fiesta's awesome body hugging seats are being rebuked when ideally Ford should be commended for it.

If Ford had given the face-lifted Fiesta thin front seats, then they would have
1) saved some space at the rear and front
2) saved some money
3) saved some weight

But Ford hasn't done so. They anticipate some guys appreciating these seats while having fun driving the car and I do hope that it is not going to be small minority. And that Ford continues to do so on all their driver oriented cars in the future. The Fiesta got many chinks in the armor and the shape and build of the seats ain't one.

When Honda gives thin seats and even thinner door pads, we applaud them for putting man before the machine. No wonder, most of our new cars are becoming so much similar and devoid of any character.

Last edited by deetjohn : 3rd July 2014 at 23:45. Reason: Adding text.
deetjohn is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 00:23   #223
BHPian

Got the car delivered today. And what a beauty it is.
Some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-1404413563390.jpg  

2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-1404413577954.jpg  

2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-1404413594578.jpg  

2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-1404413610522.jpg  

D4d-maniac is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 01:24   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
Got the car delivered today. And what a beauty it is.
Some pics.
Great pics. The ambiente also looks quite good. My only doubt is how will an HU fit in the recess provided. Otherwise I find the variant very VFM and with the safety features provided it makes great sense in going in for this variant.
Old 4th July 2014, 01:48   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Great pics. The ambiente also looks quite good. My only doubt is how will an HU fit in the recess provided. Otherwise I find the variant very VFM and with the safety features provided it makes great sense in going in for this variant.
How about something like this?, Metra FORD FOCUS 2012 & UP 99-5827B dash kit: .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks