Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2015, 23:49   #826
BHPian

Re: 2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look

Just couldn't resist writing this

I have a Ford Fiesta (2012) [The new one and not the classic]

I have driven close to 56K kms and boy this is the BEST car I have driven in a long shot. I have a 100% agreement rate with GTO in all his posts, and I would differ in this thread.

I recently drove an A4, BMW 320d, Mercedes GLA(diesel) and I when I came back I thought I would be disappointed with my Ford. But, it was completely the opposite. My respect for the Fiesta went up multi fold after driving the more expensive cars.

I took the car to Sringeri and Horanadu (alone) and I can't express in words how awesome the car handled. If you dig in to the launch thread of Fiesta, I was most critical of the price and the hence the car itself. But reviews started coming out, and everyone was saying the car handled like a dream and it beat Verna (with a 38 BHP deficit!) in the track.

I began to doubt if the car was really good. Finally, I went for a test drive and I was floored. The best thing was yet to come.

As time passed, engine also became more refined - I started enjoying all the features of the car (Titanium +). The car is built like a tank (side doors are Boron steel and it shows) - Ironically, one of the reasons why Fiesta was expensive was because of this Boron alloy, and I funnily called it Moron steel, when the car was launched to make fun of Ford. (foot in mouth disease)

As much as I try, I am unable to pick anything wrong with this car. Ride is sublime (my mom said "When I travel to Bangalore in Ford, I don't feel as much tired as I feel in the Honda City" (my other car) - My father agrees too!)

Handling is surreal. I feel so bad that I hadn't exploited its handling prowess as much, earlier (Went to Ooty in City - What a lost opportunity ) - I knew handling was awesome, but not THIS awesome - I completely and responsibly enjoyed the Ghat section in the way to Sringeri and Horanadu

Car looks awesome (not a flattering rear though)

I am planning to get another car now, but I doubt if I'll trade in the Fiesta. (esp with its terrible resale)

To all the people who have bought Fiesta, you can trust me on this - You'll have an absolute blast in this car.

I don't know if I'll die of joy if they put a more powerful engine inside (it is soooo much fun even with this 90 BHP diesel! )

---

PS:-

1. The bad news last - Someone rear ended me when I was waiting in a signal, and the car is in the workshop for 2+ weeks, and it looks like 1 more week wait, since parts are arriving from all over India

I'll share some pics of my White Titanium+ Ford Fiesta TDCi in some other thread. (This is pre facelift model)

2. To extract maximum fun, one needs to work on its sweet gearbox.

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 17th September 2015 at 23:51.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 00:20   #827
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you get the car back in shape soon.

Are you thinking of any remap? Should boost the power and Torque rating more to enjoy the car further.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 02:14   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. The bad news last - Someone rear ended me when I was waiting in a signal, and the car is in the workshop for 2+ weeks, and it looks like 1 more week wait, since parts are arriving from all over India
Wow, that is straight from your heart and posts like these from long term owners such as you and MAS really give confidence that this car would make for a good long termer with its reliability and performance. Agree with you on each and every point, people praise the handling so much and i agree it is one of the best and can match some D segment sedans but even the ride is beautiful, this suspension set up absorbs all of the potholes and suspension works very silently.

Sorry to know about the accident but 3 weeks is way too long for parts procurement even though this car has not sold much, you should have shot a mail to Ford India if the damage was not too major. I had asked my dealership about parts availability and he said almost 80% parts can be procured within 3-4 days from Ford's warehouses.

Have to send my car for front windshield and rear bumper replacement early next month, lets see how much time these guys take.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 09:37   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yup the Fiesta is surely an impressive car. Must say that I prefer the nose of the pre-facelift version compared to the modern wannabe aston nosed fiestas. However the rear of the car has improved a touch on the facelift though it still remains the only sore-point in the cars design.

3 weeks? I wait for less time even if parts need to be imported from Japan for my Kiz. Something is definitely fishy about this. I suggest you rush to the workshop to make sure nothing is wrong and then shoot a mail to Ford about this

Working the gearbox is a great pleasure in the Fiesta. I especially love the slightly short throws as well. Besides, to extract maximum fun in any car, you must work the gearbox
Old 18th September 2015, 11:43   #830
BHPian

Two weeks with the Fiesta I was all happy about the black colour and cleaned it myself every day.

Today morning some psycho in my apartment complex had a different plan in mind

With a sharp object (possibly a nail) drew the river Narmada on my left side doors and made sure its not a line but a deep one till the primer is exposed

a small streak on the right side bumper too.

So fellow bhpians please suggest a good pen type paint scratch remover that hides it effectively

Thanks in advance

Quote:

Handling is surreal. I feel so bad that I hadn't exploited its handling prowess as much, earlier. I knew handling was awesome, but not THIS awesome - I completely and responsibly enjoyed the Ghat section
Absolutely fantastic handling and you are on dot with so much kms on the ODO can vouch for it. I press the accelerator in the corners and not the brakes
Old 18th September 2015, 12:02   #831
BHPian

Just a thought, have you guys come across semi TA setting in sync ?. I accidentally stumbled upon it today, while fiddling with DSP settings.

I call it semi TA as it is not full fledged timing alignment. But its a good feature to have nonetheless.

Call me selfish, I set sound orientation to Driver centric and the sound stage looks even more impressive than before from the driver seat.

If anyone missed this setting give it a try. It should be under DSP settings.
linuxmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 08:39   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self Driven View Post
Today morning some psycho in my apartment complex had a different plan in mind.
Oh! That hurts bad! I have been a victim of vandalism with our Swift and know how it feels. I absolutely hate these low-lives who somehow derive great pleasure from doing such things. The only positive I see is that black is easier to repaint and wouldn't show any colour difference. Don't think the scratch erase pen is going to be that helpful if the mark is too deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
I call it semi TA as it is not full fledged timing alignment. But its a good feature to have nonetheless.
Isn't TA Traffic Announcements and its of no use here as far as I know. Yeah, the stock music system is stellar but I have always used the whole cabin orientation. Will try the driver centric one!
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 09:31   #833
BHPian

Quote:
With a sharp object (possibly a nail) drew the river Narmada on my left side doors and made sure its not a line but a deep one till the primer is exposed

So fellow bhpians please suggest a good pen type paint scratch remover that hides it effectively
That feels bad buddy. But I too, like deetjohn above, don't think that a pen type tool can fix it as you said it's deep. Where do you put up in Blr? If near Koramangala, call Navin at

092-434-01466 and show it to him in person. He runs a garage called Automechs, there is a separate thread on the garage. He is just excellent and I am sure he will be able to help you suggesting the best.

Quote:
Just a thought, have you guys come across semi TA setting in sync ?. I accidentally stumbled upon it today, while fiddling with DSP settings.

Call me selfish, I set sound orientation to Driver centric and the sound stage looks even more impressive than before from the driver seat.

If anyone missed this setting give it a try. It should be under DSP settings.
Yes, I tried the driver oriented DSP setting and it really changed the way the sound feels to my ears, it is much more crisp and clear now. Thanks to you. And what is this TA thing?
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 10:04   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
That feels bad buddy. But I too, like deetjohn above, don't think that a pen type tool can fix it as you said it's deep. Where do you put up in Blr?
Thanks a lot for the number, will call him up. I am put up near Manyata Tech park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The only positive I see is that black is easier to repaint and wouldn't show any colour difference. Don't think the scratch erase pen is going to be that helpful if the mark is too deep.
The Line runs deep and the white primer is exposed. Thanks for the advise. I will go to the experts.

Quote:
Its more like using the vertical fader setting available in the Sound setting option. Of course the stage changes since your ears are fed from the sides and not much from behind.

Thanks for the highlight though.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th September 2015 at 10:08. Reason: Brand specific meets are not promoted on the forums. Please refrain from posting them openly. Thanks!
Self Driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 14:37   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Isn't TA Traffic Announcements and its of no use here as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post

Yes, I tried the driver oriented DSP setting and it really changed the way the sound feels to my ears, it is much more crisp and clear now. Thanks to you. And what is this TA thing?
Lol, sorry for the confusion. By TA, I meant timing alignment. Basically, its about delaying the sound with respect to distance from each speaker to create a center sound stage.

More info here http://googleweblight.com/?lite_url=...fM_hGpZOgEDTfw

As commented above few people get close to this with fader and balance settings. But, a properly TAed system always sounds better.
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:04   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Today morning some psycho in my apartment complex had a different plan in mind

Only a psycho can do that! What an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you get the car back in shape soon.
I am hoping to get back tomorrow. I don't know what the damages would be though

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Wow, that is straight from your heart and posts like these from long term owners such as you and MAS really give confidence that this car would make for a good long termer with its reliability and performance. Agree with you on each and every point, people praise the handling so much and i agree it is one of the best and can match some D segment sedans but even the ride is beautiful, this suspension set up absorbs all of the potholes and suspension works very silently.
Thanks! I felt that Ford managed to get terrific ride + terrific handling together in Fiesta. So sad that not many people would enjoy this since this is stopped.

Quote:
Sorry to know about the accident but 3 weeks is way too long for parts procurement even though this car has not sold much, you should have shot a mail to Ford India if the damage was not too major. I had asked my dealership about parts availability and he said almost 80% parts can be procured within 3-4 days from Ford's warehouses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

3 weeks? I wait for less time even if parts need to be imported from Japan for my Kiz. Something is definitely fishy about this. I suggest you rush to the workshop to make sure nothing is wrong and then shoot a mail to Ford about this
The hit was quite bad. The rear ending was so massive that the car moved front and hit a Maruti 800 in front and broke its rear bumper. My car's front bumper and bonnet were damaged as well. Everything in the rear had to be replaced including the boot lid.

The only good thing is that with so much things replaced (with estimate coming to 1.04L) the car should be as good as new (you can accuse me of always seeing the glass half full )

Quote:
Working the gearbox is a great pleasure in the Fiesta. I especially love the slightly short throws as well. Besides, to extract maximum fun in any car, you must work the gearbox
Glad to see a like minded person - Most people slot the gear in 3rd gear and work with clutch/accelerator to make the car move (I am not calling it as driving )

I work my gear in all my bikes and cars to keep the engine right in the powerband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Are you thinking of any remap? Should boost the power and Torque rating more to enjoy the car further.
Was planning that last year - I am little scared to do that too since I am worried if the car will get quirky.

I am going to replace all 4 tires as well and now probably try the remap as well.
Old 23rd September 2015, 16:16   #837
BHPian

2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-1000-kms.jpg

First 1000 kms up..the excitement keeps adding. Coolboy007 post quoted that driving this car at lesser speeds is very tough. keeping it at less than 2k rpm is my target till at least 2500 kms. Its very challenging to do so

Switched off the engine at a traffic light today and switched on the POWER when I got green. The MID said "Key not Found" Then took the leg off the clutch, pressed it again and the POWER button. it came to life

Any one had a similar experience?
Self Driven is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 00:28   #838
BHPian

Quote:

First 1000 kms up..the excitement keeps adding. Coolboy007 post quoted that driving this car at lesser speeds is very tough. keeping it at less than 2k rpm is my target till at least 2500 kms. Its very challenging to do so
Congrats on the first ton . 5 days since delivery, I am close to 950kms.

I am not particularly doing traditional run in. I stay below 2k RPM till i reach operating temperature and then drive normally. Only thing I am taking care is not to stay in the same rpm for more than 3/4 minutes and use engine braking whenever possible.

BTW, just saw this feature, did not know it existed. I got a trophy and flowers .
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-1443034705539.jpg  

2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-1443034731992.jpg  

Last edited by linuxmanju : 24th September 2015 at 00:30.
linuxmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 06:49   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the first ton . 5 days since delivery, I am close to 950kms.

BTW, just saw this feature, did not know it existed. I got a trophy and flowers .
In 5 days :o boy oh boy.. You never drove back home from the dealership? LOL

That is the fuel computer feature that awards you petals and trophy based on speed, gear shift and anticipation. I too got one.

One more trick if you wish to know. Music system on switch off the engine, it still plays. Open the door, voila...
Self Driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 09:06   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the number, will call him up. I am put up near Manyata Tech park.

Hey buddy, did you get any solution for it?

Quote:
I am hoping to get back tomorrow. I don't know what the damages would be though

Was planning that last year - I am little scared to do that too since I am worried if the car will get quirky.

I am going to replace all 4 tires as well and now probably try the remap as well.
Hey there, you got your car back? How does she look? Mind posting some photos and details of the damages with invoice details on expenses?
Go for that remap man, there is an excellent thread on an Ecosport's remap. Seems there are some real good options for remap available for this engine.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed