Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2018, 19:21   #1036
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look

As it has done 65K km in hardly 3 years it is heavily used. 5 lakhs would be a fair price.

I guess he has inflated the rate in order to bargain so go ahead and bargain.

It is a great car and parts will be easily available so go ahead.
Old 2nd May 2018, 22:25   #1037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Update -

I have received and fitted the stereo, which is an Android 6 model branded "Xeowyn".

Thank you for sharing details of this upgrade. Right from the day we bought my wife's Fiesta, she has been complaining about the head unit and it's rudimentary display. Her previous Fiesta had JVC head unit with touch screen and while she loves the new one she was extremely disappointed with head unit. To top it off, I went ahead and replaced the old JVC unit with a Pioneer 4200 NEX when the old car was handed down to me. Every time we take the old car, she stares daggers at me. You just saved me plenty of killer looks.

Just one query; does the auto rain sensor work with the unit?
Old 3rd May 2018, 07:00   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
Just one query; does the auto rain sensor work with the unit?
The auto rain sensor seems to be entirely separate - and is connected to the wipers once you set the stalk switch on auto. I am not entirely sure what it has to do with the unit.

However as the unit includes a Ford firmware connected over Canbus, any alert that was displayed on the original nokia phone style unit should be displayed on the new android one.

Note - there are other similar units available on Aliexpress with 2 GB RAM instead of 1 GB, and Android 7.1 instead of Android 6. Not all that much costlier.

I haven't tried those out so won't personally recommend them, but if you want, do give such units a try as well.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 09:28   #1039
Senior - BHPian

[deleting duplicate post that somehow appeared; sorry]
Old 3rd May 2018, 10:06   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
The auto rain sensor seems to be entirely separate - and is connected to the wipers once you set the stalk switch on auto. I am not entirely sure what it has to do with the unit.

Note - there are other similar units available on Aliexpress with 2 GB RAM instead of 1 GB, and Android 7.1 instead of Android 6. Not all that much costlier.
Thanks for the reply.

The activation of the rain sensor is through the head unit, only after that will it work as you have described. After the rain sensor has been activated through the head unit, you can switch it on/off by putting the wiper stack switch in 1st position. There are a number of other settings that are controlled through the head unit under the vehicle settings option. Hence, my question, whether the head unit allows allows access to the rain sensor.
Old 3rd May 2018, 15:48   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

The activation of the rain sensor is through the head unit, only after that will it work as you have described. After the rain sensor has been activated through the head unit, you can switch it on/off by putting the wiper stack switch in 1st position. There are a number of other settings that are controlled through the head unit under the vehicle settings option. Hence, my question, whether the head unit allows allows access to the rain sensor.
Yes as I said the canbus for this device has a Ford firmware with it and any alert or sensor (eg: auto wiper, auto headlamp) that depends on the old deck will generally work out of the box.

The fiesta even has rear fog lamps, something I found out only when I was driving with the light dial set to Auto and suddenly noticed an unfamiliar dashboard light that I had to look up (a standard foglight icon but in yellow).
Old 8th May 2018, 10:51   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Update -
I have received and fitted the stereo, which is an Android 6 model branded "Xeowyn".
Can't thank you enough for sharing this experience

Had a few hiccups, but the system has been installed and is working well in my Fiesta. The HU is quite good and I have managed to install a few apps such as YouTube, Prime Video, Prime music (with Alexa), 1.fm, Google Maps etc. Amazon Alexa works really well and I don't have to take my eyes off the road to get the songs that I want played.

The model year that you choose is critical to ensure that you get the right connectors especially on pre-facelift models. While my fiesta is MY 2011, it actually uses the cables from the 2010 global version (portugal apparently). They sent a different cable and I had to wait for 3 weeks to get a correct one.

Notes from my usage

Display resolution is surprisingly good and bright. It is very usable even during the daytime. Combined with Fiesta's high mount position, it is perfectly aligned at your eye level. However, I have to stretch a bit to use the touch screen but it works nonetheless.

The unit is not super fast but usable even with 1 GB RAM. Most apps that you will need in a car will load.

Sound quality of the ICE is very very good. I was afraid that I will end up compromising on the sound quality when I replaced the original ICE but this one is just as good. The 'LOUD' mode improves the bass levels but quite a bit.

Screenshare via USB or WiFi works via the EasyCon app. But you won't really need to use it as most apps works directly on the HU itself.

Rear view camera is clear and resolution is better than many OEM fitments. Night time visibility and clarity is better than my grand i10's factory fit camera.

The lack of restrictions or warning messages every now and then makes this unit far more desirable than the 'safe' touch screen units that come factory fitted I'd prefer this HU instead of the 'impressive' touchscreen units that come with maruti's and the hyundai's

Problems

I could not get the steering controls to work with the unit, how much ever I tried. The HU is supposed to have a learning function but it does not work.

I've lost sync functionality completely. The voice features of the ford sync no longer work and the voice activation button is now a dummy.

I'm unable to calibrate the rear view camera guidelines. The right guideline is 'inset' because the camera has to be mounted in place of one of the number plate illumination lamps and so there is left skew. I wish this could be corrected.

I have been experiencing problems when making calls via bluetooth. While it works (pairs + dials out + receives calls), the microphone reception seems poor and there is a lot of echo + interference when making calls via bluetooth. So much so that I have to turn the A/C off to be able to have a strained conversation.

@Hserus Any tips on how to improve this? This has been my only major gripe. The mic is the stock ford one which used to work like a charm on the old sync unit. Only the HU is new.

I'll try to follow up with a video of how the HU works.

Last edited by clementj : 8th May 2018 at 10:56.
Old 8th May 2018, 10:57   #1043
Senior - BHPian

They bundle a stock Ford firmware which should work on all the Fiestas .. maybe the firmware for your year and model is a 2010 firmware of some kind and they need to ship you that unit as well?

All the alerts (door open etc) worked just fine, so did steering controls (though I had to set it up in the unit that my car is RHD so door open etc sensors were interpreted properly). And it uses the Fiesta OEM mic so there should be no change in that respect, voice quality related.

Just contact the vendor (Lisa, right) for support.
Old 8th May 2018, 15:45   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post

While my fiesta is MY 2011, it actually uses the cables from the 2010 global version (portugal apparently).

Problems

I could not get the steering controls to work with the unit, how much ever I tried. The HU is supposed to have a learning function but it does not work.

I've lost sync functionality completely. The voice features of the ford sync no longer work and the voice activation button is now a dummy.
Your problems may be related to the fact that the pre 2014 model did not actually come with Ford Sync. Ford Sync (Version 1) made its debut with Ford Ecosport which was then incorporated in the facelift 2014 Ford Fiesta.
PratikPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 15:52   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Your problems may be related to the fact that the pre 2014 model did not actually come with Ford Sync. Ford Sync (Version 1) made its debut with Ford Ecosport which was then incorporated in the facelift 2014 Ford Fiesta.
Ford sync has been in existence as early as 2007 and was available on the All New Fiesta in the Titanium and Titanium+ variants.

I have been extensively using the voice control since I've had the car. Dialing a contact was one of the most useful features of that unit and I miss that a lot in the new ICE.

Ford launched a new version of sync with the Ecosport and the facelifted Fiesta. (cars that came with cool blue LED displays)
Old 8th May 2018, 16:11   #1046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
Ford sync has been in existence as early as 2007 and was available on the All New Fiesta in the Titanium and Titanium+ variants.

I have been extensively using the voice control since I've had the car. Dialing a contact was one of the most useful features of that unit and I miss that a lot in the new ICE.

Ford launched a new version of sync with the Ecosport and the facelifted Fiesta. (cars that came with cool blue LED displays)
While you are right that Ford Sync has been in existence as early as 2007 in the U.S., the new Ford Fiesta 2011, introduced in India did not have Ford Sync developed in conjunction with Microsoft. You can refer to the 5th post on this thread for TeamBhp moderator 'Noopster' has his detailed review on the new Sync. The bottom line is that while 2011 Ford Fiesta has voice commands and bluetooth connectivity, it is not a Sync unit.
Old 17th June 2018, 16:21   #1047
Senior - BHPian

Funny - I have a bit less than 40k km on my fiesta and found the braking distance increasing - had the brake pads checked. OK those were worn down but the brake disks were badly scuffed as well.

Got them both changed at Hans Ford, Chennai, and had the usual rusting taken care of with a coat of wd40, and that cost me 6500.

I used Mobil X1 3000 5W30 or my oil change (4 litres required so had to get one 3.7 litre can + a can was left from my last oil fill 6 months back, when I had to buy two cans).

https://www.mobil.com/English-GB/Pas...ormula-FE-5W30

Needed to convince the service advisor, he finally called someone Ford and got the OK from them, as it has Ford’s filled this oil instead of the default Castrol Magnatec Professional.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-b450cf67531c4d6e9efe4f3406fb79d7.jpeg  

2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look-70f44c91cb7b463db14d6e5a3c1a17dd.jpeg  

hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 14:29   #1048
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

couple of questions :
1. Did anyone of you carried out EGR valve cleaning on your fiesta (1,5 tdci) ?
I checked the owner's manual, it is not listed anywhere. I read in our forum that Maruti recommends doing it every 30k kms.

Reason : I find the cold start and idling to be little rough and someone has pointed that EGR valve could be culprit. I want to do it and hence the question.

2. Can anyone recommend a good touch screen system with Apple carplay for Fiesta ? I don't want to make any extensive changes to the dash.

Thanks in advance !
Old 6th July 2018, 15:54   #1049
Senior - BHPian

EGR cleaning every 30k km? That is some Maruti dealer’s idea of a scam. Injector / EGR issues usually crop up well after 80k.

Did you check if your air filter has been changed lately, ditto engine oil and oil filter? Also your battery. How many km has your car run?

Please scroll back to find an Android stereo for the Fiesta, it is a Chinese clone that has OEM fit and finish and touchscreen, and a certain amount of compatibility with CarPlay.

There are newer versions of the deck available from other manufacturers, with Android 8 and more RAM / memory, but I won’t comment on those as I haven’t tried them. Should be good though if you tell them the make and model of your fiesta clearly.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 20:41   #1050
VKS
BHPian

Anyone got the Fiesta battery replaced ? All the battery in the market seems to be 242*175*190 for 60AH, while the battery bay in fiesta is for 242*175*175

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks