Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:54   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Nissan Sunny Facelift : A Close Look

I actually like the front with all the chrome - what a drama queen this one is

How are the brakes now on the Sunny? That was a major turnoff earlier.
I am yet to understand why chauffer driven rides dont choose Sunny with its brilliant dCI!
Old 30th September 2014, 12:11   #62
Senior - BHPian

Just out of curiosity, I checked out the Sunny Facelift yesterday at Ritu Nissan, GB Road, Thane.

I was surprised with the way the Sales Person approached me.

Ganesh Chawla, Sr. Sales Consultant at Ritu Nissan has joned from JMD Skoda just 2 months back. An enthusiastic Delhiite brought up in Mumbai.

Any prospective buyer can contact him on 8691000717.

Back to the car:
  • It looks and feel huge. H-U-G-E. It certainly wears the tag line of CAAAAAAR completely.
  • Acres and acres of legroom space. I have in fact never been in a car just shy of 11 lacs with this sort of space. In fact, even the fancied German cars including the E Class does not have this amount of space(Superb is an Exception, but then I think the space in Sunny and Superb is comparable).
  • Test drove the car and my impressions are as below:
  1. The car has a noticeable turbo lag till the 2K mark
  2. It is not really a sprinter off the block but then the handling seemed mature
  3. I loved the "Fine Vision" meters in the XV version. However, I sincerely fail to understand the Micra inspired meters in the lower variants. Certainly not done in a car costing almost 11 lacs on road.
  4. Nissan should have given better tyres in the car. Too much road noise for these JK Vectras.
  5. Engine clatter is limited and acceptable
  6. The 4 speaker OEM did not have the blast/bass and a 4+ 02 tweeter set up would have been a welcome change.
  7. The XL (Mid Variant) is pretty loaded. Yet the passenger Air bag is conspicuous in its absence.
  8. Felt the "speed" come on to you @ 100 kmph+ speeds.
  9. Overall a very good option for people not looking at the Citys and the Vernas.
Overall impressions:

Looks and Stance - 8/10(Looked imposing and big)
Drive feel - 7/10( No Fiesta here yet drove decent. No gimmicks)
Space - 10/10(No comparison at all)
Features - 9/10(XV)/ 7/10(XL)- Wished Dual Airbags/Fine Vision Meters
Overall Impression- 8/10(Desirable product for those looking beyond Verna/ City or the to be launched Ciaz)

Price OTR - 10.83 lacs for XL Dci
11.80 lacs for XV Dci (Both ex Thane with LBT).

Discounts- Max. 15K to 20 K on the Down Payment.
You could bargain for some freebies- Mats/Carpets etc.

Last edited by arnabchak : 30th September 2014 at 12:12.
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 12:22   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Discounts- Max. 15K to 20 K on the Down Payment.
You could bargain for some freebies- Mats/Carpets etc.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3543667

Please check this post. Confirm with dealer regarding this discount.
Old 30th September 2014, 12:29   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3543667

Please check this post. Confirm with dealer regarding this discount.
Dear Mr. Boss

I have already spoken to the dealer on this.

In fact, the same ad is posted in the showrooms as well.

The catch is as below:

1) Applicable on 2013 model.
2) No choice of colour
3) No choice of variant
4) Company stock yard piece

Didnt make sense as in two months this will be a 2 year old "new" car and the depreciation will be much more than what you save.
Old 1st November 2014, 00:17   #65
BHPian

Hi.. I'm considering this car especially the XV Premium Safety variant for it to be chauffeur driven but wanted to clarify if anybody knew whether the side airbags are for the back or the front seats (can't imagine it would stretch the length of the car!)
Thanks,
Old 1st November 2014, 20:12   #66
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajajm View Post
Hi.. I'm considering this car especially the XV Premium Safety variant for it to be chauffeur driven but wanted to clarify if anybody knew whether the side airbags are for the back or the front seats (can't imagine it would stretch the length of the car!)
Thanks,
The side airbags are for the front seats. {Rear side airbags (that inflate from the rear seat) are a relatively new thing even internationally}.

Curtain airbags (that inflate from the car's pillars and create an inflatable curtain along the windows) are not present on the XV Premium (Safety) variant.

Curtain airbags are quite common from the D1 segment onwards. The Ford EcoSport {Titanium(O) & Titanium AT variants} and the Hyundai Verna {SX(O) variant} are the only two cars below the D1 segment to feature curtain airbags (6 airbags in total).

Apart from the above two, Nissan's Micra dCi {XV P} and Sunny dCi {XV P(S)} are the only other cars to feature side airbags below the D1 segment.

Last edited by RSR : 1st November 2014 at 20:16.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 22:22   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The side airbags are for the front seats. {Rear side airbags (that inflate from the rear seat) are a relatively new thing even internationally}.

Curtain airbags (that inflate from the car's pillars and create an inflatable curtain along the windows) are not present on the XV Premium (Safety) variant.

Curtain airbags are quite common from the D1 segment onwards. The Ford EcoSport {Titanium(O) & Titanium AT variants} and the Hyundai Verna {SX(O) variant} are the only two cars below the D1 segment to feature curtain airbags (6 airbags in total).

Apart from the above two, Nissan's Micra dCi {XV P} and Sunny dCi {XV P(S)} are the only other cars to feature side airbags below the D1 segment.
Thanks, Which are the cheapest D1 cars in India that offer rear airbags? and curtain airbags?

Do these really make the rear seated passengers safer?
bajajm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 20:08   #68
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Which are the cheapest D1 cars in India that offer rear airbags? and curtain airbags?

Do these really make the rear seated passengers safer?
D1 segment cars like the Hyundai Elantra, Škoda Octavia and Volkswagen Jetta offer curtain airbags (6 in total) on some variants but I don't know their exact prices. D2 segment cars generally have 6 airbags.

Apart from cars, SUVs/crossovers that are positioned in the D1 & D2 segments also offer 6 airbags on some or all variants e.g. Honda CR-V, Mahindra XUV5OO, Škoda Yeti, Tata Aria etc.

I don't think any vehicle on sale in India that costs less than 25 lacs offers rear side airbags. These are a rather new feature even in advanced markets, but are becoming more common over there slowly. It may take even more time for mainstream cars in India to offer rear side airbags (even as an option).

Do they make the rear seat a safer place? Of course, they do. They would be a very useful safety feature to have in the event of an unfortunate side-on collision (either with another vehicle, or a stationary object like a tree, pole etc.) Even in case of the more common frontal offset collisions, curtain airbags can play a very useful role in minimising chances of injury (from impact with the car's doors/windows/pillars) for both the front & rear seat occupants.

One really wishes more and more cars in the lower segments offer 6 airbags (front, front side & curtain) at least as an option.

Last edited by RSR : 3rd November 2014 at 20:35.
Old 6th November 2014, 23:33   #69
BHPian

Thanks RSR.

So is there a SAFE C segment car for the rear seated passenger?

Also is it true that rear curtain airbags of the Verna are only activated if seatbelts are engaged in the rear seats?

Thanks,
Old 7th November 2014, 02:55   #70
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks RSR.

So is there a SAFE C segment car for the rear seated passenger?
You're welcome!

A safe C segment car for the rear passengers?

Well, hmmmmmm. After seeing how cars meant for the Indian market have fared in the Global-NCAP and Latin-NCAP tests, I'm not going to take the risk of classifying any car (whose Indian market version's NCAP crash test results are not yet available) as being AS SAFE AS their developed market versions.

I can only make an educated guess that in the absence of rear side airbags, then a car with curtain airbags would provide better protection for the rear seat occupants in case of side impacts and certain frontal impacts, when compared to a similar car which is not equipped with inflatable curtains.

Unfortunately for India and Indians, there are only two cars in the C segment (and below) which have variants that are equipped with curtain airbags as of today - and they are the Ford EcoSport & Hyundai Verna.

Quote:
Also is it true that rear curtain airbags of the Verna are only activated if seatbelts are engaged in the rear seats?
I do have a sure, definite answer for this at least.

Each curtain airbag is a single thing that runs along the length of each side (left & right) of the passenger compartment. It is one unit that does not inflate separately for the front and rear seats.

So the answer basically is no. The rear seatbelts have no role to play in the activation of the curtain airbags.

When the system detects a collision on one side, it triggers the curtain airbag of that side (along with the front side airbag). The curtain airbag may also be deployed in some frontal collisions.

This video of the Ford EcoSport's Euro-NCAP test shows the curtain airbag in action in three different scenarios:

Old 9th November 2014, 00:23   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
[*]The XL (Mid Variant) is pretty loaded. Yet the passenger Air bag is conspicuous in its absence.
I just noticed that the older mid variant XL diesel had both driver and passenger air bags whereas the new facelifted XL model has only driver airbags. That's ridiculous! I wonder what Nissan's top folks were thinking when they signed off on this.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 01:46   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post

I can only make an educated guess that in the absence of rear side airbags, then a car with curtain airbags would provide better protection for the rear seat occupants in case of side impacts and certain frontal impacts, when compared to a similar car which is not equipped with inflatable curtains.

Unfortunately for India and Indians, there are only two cars in the C segment (and below) which have variants that are equipped with curtain airbags as of today - and they are the Ford EcoSport & Hyundai Verna.

I do have a sure, definite answer for this at least.

Each curtain airbag is a single thing that runs along the length of each side (left & right) of the passenger compartment. It is one unit that does not inflate separately for the front and rear seats.

So the answer basically is no. The rear seatbelts have no role to play in the activation of the curtain airbags.

When the system detects a collision on one side, it triggers the curtain airbag of that side (along with the front side airbag). The curtain airbag may also be deployed in some frontal collisions.

This video of the Ford EcoSport's Euro-NCAP test shows the curtain airbag in action in three different scenarios:

http://Youtu.be/3eUusPP5zJM
Thanks RSR... you are quite knowledgeable!!

On another thread, Im considering which car to go for... and am ending up in the Verna boat!! Unless I consider further expanding my budget.
bajajm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 13:39   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I just noticed that the older mid variant XL diesel had both driver and passenger air bags whereas the new facelifted XL model has only driver airbags.
New Sunny XL variant isn't VFM anymore. No passenger airbag, no rear blower. Only improvement we could see is a bluetooth enabled HU.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 09:54   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I just noticed that the older mid variant XL diesel had both driver and passenger air bags whereas the new facelifted XL model has only driver airbags. That's ridiculous! I wonder what Nissan's top folks were thinking when they signed off on this.
Well well!!
That is ridiculous.

I did not have the older XL as a comparo but when the Govt. is enforcing strong measures for safety, skimping on equipments in a model that previously had one is utterly disgusting.

More so, when one of the brand babies- Datsun is making the headlines for all the wrong reasons.
Old 29th January 2016, 08:34   #75
BHPian

I live in Bangalore, and the first thing we look for here is ground clearance. Has that gone up from the "Scrape everything in sight" level yet on this one? any idea?

Most Viewed