Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2014, 16:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Nissan Sunny Facelift : A Close Look

To tell the truth, I liked it better than the previous version. I can say the car will be bullet proof reliable in every other aspect. The chrome point, is I say; a matter of personal taste and choice. Regarding the logos, I doubt if it is made of chrome; the same one on my Micra looks like chrome but is in fact plastic painted to look like chrome, (though my thoughts could be wrong with the Sunny also). Outright, I would prefer them to provide a better spec engine and nicer automatic gearbox.

Overall, I would give it 3 out 5 rating for getting some things right and getting some things wrong.
Old 18th June 2014, 17:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Amazing Pictures and a very crisp review.

From the pictures one thing that stands out wrt updates to the car is the chrome shower.
Every possible component which they though can be chrome garnished has been chromed up.

By the way, how much does this chrome stuff cost any way? Can some experts share some light on chrome itself, and how much it costs.
Old 18th June 2014, 17:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Very disappointing. All bling and nothing!!

With dollops of chrome, Nissan Sunny is not going anywhere with this non facelift!!
And I too am of the opinion that Sunny takes the cake for the worst looking car(inside and out) of the segment.

It may be a capable workhorse but then with no differentiating factor, sales will remain if not drop further than its existing "pity" levels!!
Old 18th June 2014, 17:46   #19
BHPian

Oh no the chrome eating alien monster got a tummy bug and puked all over the new Sunny! The day is not far when manufacturers will come out with a special chrome variant that has more... CHROME!

Imaginary thoughts of a Sunny owner who selected the Luxury Pack: "Ooh I love these leather seats. They are so soft and luxurious." A few miles down the road: screeeeeeeeech! BANG! "Uh oh. My Sunny just turned into a leather lined coffin. Goodbye world."

Till the Stingray was launched recently, I considered the Sunny to be the ugliest car on Indian roads. With this facelift, it has reclaimed that dubious distinction IMO.
Old 18th June 2014, 18:53   #20
BHPian

Nissan has made a car that can go in both directions without others feeling if the car was reversing
The front is as bulky as the rear. Wonder how aerodynamic this car is
vinya_jag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 20:13   #21
BHPian

I was half decided to get my better half a Sunny and waited to see the facelift. But there seems to be no top- spec XV variant in the petrol guise. IIRC, the current car has a petrol XV variant with leather seats and a reverse camera.

And I fail to see the logic of having the CVT only in the mid spec XL variant. Power folding OVRMs and reverse camera are very important convenience features that a typical self - driving automatic buyer looks for. Leather seats and alloys may be added as accessories, but power folding OVRMs or steering mounted audio controls are not.
Old 18th June 2014, 23:43   #22

Chrome fascination is truly quite strange, but in my opinion, it's something that people get used to.
When I got my 2012 third gen honda city, it was a new face lift with the front grill in complete chrome. The previous ANHC had greyish grill.
All across TBHP, readers bashed it, but now after 2 years it has kind of blended with the image.
Frankly, it's just about something which settles in your eyes. Now I find the plasticy greyish grill on the older ANHC strange to look at.

About someone mentioning Stingray & Sunny fighting for the ugliest car tag - I still believe nobody can beat Maruti when it comes to utterly hideous design patterns for their cars (with an exception here or there) & stingray is the top of the pyramid of their portfolio in bad looks.
Old 18th June 2014, 23:55   #23
Team-BHP Support

Not sure why everyone is so disappointed with this facelift. The Sunny looks more grown up and changes are not just a splash of chrome. New lights, bumpers, fenders and interior dash change is quite significant.

Whatever people did not like in old Sunny has been attended to.

My only grouse is no mechanical changes especially to the very very poor brakes on the diesel. That should have been fixed.

Overall it's a quite a good chauffeur driven package. GTO has one and he is very happy with reliability, FE, rear seat comfort and is working as a perfect chauffeur driven car for the family.

Same with my aunt who got one in Kolkata. She was apprehensive changing from her Esteem to a non Maruti but says it's the best suggestion anyone could have given her. If I hadn't suggested it she would have got a Dzire and would have never been happy with the space.

If Hoover fiasco is settled and Nissan can market this better, they should go back to 2K/month numbers. The Honda City is the only block in the Sunny's success story.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 03:10   #24
BHPian

Compared to the first generation sunny, This looks far better and for once, I'm actually liking the way it looks. The chrome inserts should have been minimalistic though. Instead of the chrome under the foglamps, DRL would have been better to keep up with its competitors. Earlier I liked sunny for its rear legroom. Now I like it as a car.
kingofmyworld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 03:18   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do companies want to keep over doing the cars with Chrome, not like it adds any materialistic value to the car. I would rather have manufacturer try something new, like dual colour body paint or something on those lines.
Old 19th June 2014, 04:58   #26
BHPian

The headlamps remind me of the 370Z nizmo. Apart from that almost everything looks really weird. The rear portion of the car and the interiors look horrible. Couldn't they have designed it better??
Old 19th June 2014, 10:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Sunny was always a good car, new one is more better now IMHO. It ticks most of the common drivers requirements. It has good petrol & diesel engines, its very very spacious, looks are good and don't offend anyone, feature list is pretty good and priced well also. Interiors are also good. I hope this model will do better, hopefully
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 12:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Sunny was always a good car, new one is more better now IMHO. It ticks most of the common drivers requirements. It has good petrol & diesel engines, its very very spacious, looks are good and don't offend anyone, feature list is pretty good and priced well also. Interiors are also good. I hope this model will do better, hopefully
The Nissan Teana looks soo much better than this. lol. Even the new City. But this is just plain bland to look at.

Last edited by mod_to_odd : 19th June 2014 at 12:43.
Old 19th June 2014, 12:49   #29
BHPian

Its not a exciting package that people will queue up to take it. With Nissan boasting maximum chrome frontage in segment claim, the focus seems to be on this! Was lack of chrome the reason why Sunny did not sell that many? Highly Unlikely.

It has attained an image of a good car for being Chauffeur driven. In that case, why not make something exciting for the driver? And why cant i have both luxury as well safety? Not sure if something better has been done on the CVT to reduce the rubber band! Again here, its a toss up between Top end variant vs CVT. You get to choose only one! Sounds so illogical. This facelift looks like a compulsive and namesake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
It has good petrol & diesel engines, its very very spacious, looks are good and don't offend anyone, feature list is pretty good and priced well also.
Looks don't offend anyone? If you go by this thread, its being touted one of ugliest car.

Last edited by Vahanam : 19th June 2014 at 12:55. Reason: Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 13:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_to_odd View Post
The Nissan Teana looks soo much better than this. lol. Even the new City. But this is just plain bland to look at.
I agree but everyone has different taste, right? Some people don't like too much curves, too aggressive look. Some people prefer simple looking cars, me too. Sunny has many plus points like i mentioned earlier. If Nissan has more dealers to support it with good A.S.S. i am sure it will do better.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks