Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 10:23   #1
BHPian

AP to TS: Transfer of car registration from Andhra Pradesh to Telangana

Just read the papers and heard the news about the decision to create the new state of Telangana. Any guesses what the RTO code will be?

I go with TL
Old 11th June 2014, 21:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Indian States Registration Number Identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
Just read the papers and heard the news about the decision to create the new state of Telangana. Any guesses what the RTO code will be?

I go with TL
It's official...

The RTO code for the newly formed Telangana State is TS. And the district wise codes will be announced shortly by the government.

All the 73 lakh vehicles in the state of Telangana have to change their registration numbers to TS within 4 months after the state government announces the codes and also the registration fee.

Isn't 4 months a very short time? I am sure the RTO's can never handle that much of pressure. What are your views Bhpians?
Old 11th June 2014, 22:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
..All the 73 lakh vehicles in the state of Telangana have to change their registration numbers to TS within 4 months after the state government announces the codes and also the registration fee.

Isn't 4 months a very short time? I am sure the RTO's can never handle that much of pressure. What are your views Bhpians?
What's the point in changing the registration numbers of existing vehicles? This will attract lot of criticism .They can remain as they are currently and give the new codes for new registrations only.

Also, if they want to change the numbers for existing vehicles, I think only the state code with district code will change. Eg. APefXY1234 may change to TSpqMN1234 where pq will be new district code and MN will be new sub code or may be TSpqXY1234 where XY will be existing sub code itself. Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 11th June 2014 at 22:55.
vvrchandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 22:33   #4
BANNED

Quote:

All the 73 lakh vehicles in the state of Telangana have to change their registration numbers to TS within 4 months after the state government announces the codes and also the registration fee.

Difficult to handle the load by RTO but the work will be done soon without much problem.

Is the code 'AD' for the rest of the state a.k.a new Andhra Pradesh or it remains AP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post

What's the point in changing the registration numbers of existing vehicles? This will attract lot of criticism. They can remain as they are currently and give the new codes for new registrations only.
This will never happen, reason:

1) Why will the Telangana government let go that funds which arise from the public who will have to get their existing vehicles re-registered?

2) Since the rest of the state (Read new AP) is going to get the code of AP, the Telangana politicians and favourable citizens won't agree to retain AP as the registration code for existing vehicles. Even before Telangana was announced people here sick wire paper cuttings on 'AP' to replace it with 'TG' which itself says about their desperation.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 11th June 2014 at 22:49.
Old 11th June 2014, 23:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
What's the point in changing the registration numbers of existing vehicles? This will attract lot of criticism .They can remain as they are currently and give the new codes for new registrations only.

Also, if they want to change the numbers for existing vehicles, I think only the state code with district code will change. Eg. APefXY1234 may change to TSpqMN1234 where pq will be new district code and MN will be new sub code or may be TSpqXY1234 where XY will be existing sub code itself. Thanks.
In the United Andhra Pradesh, i.e., before bifurcation, district codes were in use as per the alphabetical order of the districts as below:

AP 01 for Adilabad
AP 02 for Ananthapur
AP 03 from Chitoor and so on.

As it is a new state same codes cannot be followed. That is the reason they will be formulating new codes for the 10 districts of the newly formed Telangana State.
Old 11th June 2014, 23:29   #6
BHPian

Isn't KCR announced, they are going to create 13 more districts ? Are they going to re-register again when new districts formed ?
Old 11th June 2014, 23:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Classy move. Great going guys, focus on the all petty stuff that does not add any value to your state and its citizens. Notice how only pointless decisions like this come with strict deadlines to implement.

Why stop with registration fee? Why not charge road taxes again to add insult to injury?

Pity people that have to go through this futile redtape exercise.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 11th June 2014 at 23:46.
ashwin489 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 06:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
In the United Andhra Pradesh, i.e., before bifurcation, district codes were in use as per the alphabetical order of the districts as below:

AP 01 for Adilabad
AP 02 for Ananthapur
AP 03 from Chitoor and so on.

As it is a new state same codes cannot be followed. That is the reason they will be formulating new codes for the 10 districts of the newly formed Telangana State.
I've not mentioned in my post that the same district codes wil be followed. Definitely they will change.

What I've mentioned is that the sub codes withnin the same district code may or may not change i.e. AP09BW1234 may change to TS01AA1234 or TS01BW1234. Definetely AP09 will change to TSef (ef being new district code) and the sub code BW in the above quoted example may or may not change. Hope this is clear. Thanks.
Old 12th June 2014, 09:02   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
I've not mentioned in my post that the same district codes wil be followed. Definitely they will change.
All current vehicles in Telangana with AP registration numbers will have to be changed within 4 months!

Fresh numbers will be allotted where the whole number series would be 'new'. Owners with fancy numbers would need to bid again or pay the amount.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 09:26   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
registration numbers to TS within 4 months after the state government announces the codes and also the registration fee.

I would say, it is a bad start for the new government. Ideally, cars registered prior to separation should be allowed to keep their registrations. Once they are about to sell it and a change of ownership happens, then they may be asked to do so, but without shelling much $$$ or running around too much.

IIRC, when the state separation of Bihar/Jharkhand happened, the cars registered prior to the separation were allowed to keep their existing registration. Maybe other members like debuda, saket or //M will give a better view on this.

But then, the law has been passed and hapless citizens are left with no choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
All current vehicles in Telangana with AP registration numbers will have to be changed within 4 months!

Fresh numbers will be allotted where the whole number series would be 'new'. Owners with fancy numbers would need to bid again or pay the amount.

Anurag.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 10:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Anurag.
Yes, I saw the same in news papers as well. But, changing the registration numbers of existing vehicles ( roughly around 50 to 70 lakhs, as per the new transport minister's press conference yesterday ) is a very tedious and cumbersome exercise. If they are doing this just for revenue sake, it is a blunder on their side. I personally feel that the existing numbers should remain the same. I do not want to pay/bid again for my number.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 12th June 2014 at 10:21.
Old 12th June 2014, 10:26   #12
BANNED

Quote:
If they are doing this just for revenue sake, it is a blunder on their side. I personally feel that the existing numbers should remain the same. I do not want to pay again for my number.
Revenue and desperation is the reason behind this. All citizens who are in favour of this new state formation will not be in peace till the registration code of ALL vehicles change to TS.

RTO officials will have a tough time in dealing with re-registration of the 73 lakh vehicles + the new vehicles that were with-held till the code (TG or TS) was finalised.

Yes, 4 months is too short a period. Hope the police department DON'T start fining owners with 'AP' plates who have re-registered once those 4 months time period lapses.

Anurag.
Old 12th June 2014, 10:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
..Hope the police department DON'T start fining owners with 'AP' plates who have re-registered once those 4 months time period lapses.

Anurag.
I guess the above statememt indicates not fining those owners with AP plates who have NOT re-registered after 4 months time period.

Feel this may land in the court of law. Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 12th June 2014 at 10:34.
Old 12th June 2014, 12:46   #14
BHPian

Since this forum does not allow the discussion on politics it will be good for us not to indulge ourselves in this spat. If anybody observe closely ,the entire state division is just for politics and nothing at all. Finding ones own identity by connecting yourself to a state ? .When all over the world,people are coming together here we are breaking away and add to it some cheap political activism . Any way , I sympathize with automobile owners who have to go through all this.
The best way must be to keep the present number plates.
commonman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 13:10   #15
BHPian

The updated list is always available on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ricts_in_India

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks