Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2014, 13:31   #16
BHPian

They are expected to announce the RTO district codes n numbering policy by tomorrow
Old 12th June 2014, 17:23   #17
BHPian

Re: Indian States Registration Number Identification

At last some good news from the C.M.O for all those who do not want to bid again for their fancy numbers.

It is enough to just change the state and district code. Need not change the 4 digit number.
Old 12th June 2014, 17:51   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
At last some good news from the C.M.O for all those who do not want to bid again for their fancy numbers.

It is enough to just change the state and district code. Need not change the 4 digit number.
So does this mean that only the TS + district code + sub-code change?

Eg:

Current Registration: AP 28 CL 2121
New Registration: TS XX YY 2121

Will it be like above?

Anurag.
Old 12th June 2014, 21:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
So does this mean that only the TS + district code + sub-code change?

Eg:

Current Registration: AP 28 CL 2121
New Registration: TS XX YY 2121

Will it be like above?

Anurag.
Sub code may not change. As per the reports, only the State code and District codes will change.

Ex: AP 28 CL 2121 will become TS XX CL 2121

Last edited by JoseVijay : 12th June 2014 at 21:17. Reason: info added
Old 13th June 2014, 11:45   #20
BHPian

Yes, to be more specific, the new registration number for AP 28 CL 2121 will be TS 13 CL 2121.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...80.94Telangana

Last edited by rnidumolu : 13th June 2014 at 11:47. Reason: URL correction
rnidumolu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 00:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
Yes, to be more specific, the new registration number for AP 28 CL 2121 will be TS 13 CL 2121.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...80.94Telangana
All these days there has been a lot of confusion with regard to the new registration numbers and the news reports say that the Road Transport Authority in Telangana is still working out on the modality of the new registration numbers.

Is the information mentioned in the above link from a confirmed source or is it only a speculation?

If it is from a confirmed source, how come the common man is still not aware of it?
Old 14th June 2014, 00:26   #22
BHPian

I have another confusion here. Why Telangana is coded as TS and not TL, TA etc.

For RTO codes for other states either the first letter(s) are chosen or first + last, first + second and first + third

e.g > AP, UP, MP, HP, CG (first letters)
GJ, MH, CH, DL (first + second, third)

However no such rule is mentioned anywhere, wondering where this 'S' is coming from?
Old 14th June 2014, 02:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post

For RTO codes for other states either the first letter(s) are chosen or first + last, first + second and first + third

e.g > AP, UP, MP, HP, CG (first letters)
GJ, MH, CH, DL (first + second, third)

However no such rule is mentioned anywhere, wondering where this 'S' is coming from?
In 2009, when the struggle for a separate state of Telangana was on, many vehicle owners from the region displayed TG in place of AP on their number plates.

My question is, who takes the decision on the allotment of the registration code for the state? Is it the Central Government or the State?

On 4th or 5th of June (Not very sure of the exact date) news channels carried the news that the Central Government has allotted " TS " code for the newly formed state.

And the same confusion and discussion among family members and friends started: Why TS and not TG?

To be honest, I prefer to have a TS code than a TG code.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 05:30   #24
BHPian

I have one more doubt here!!

How about people who have recently fixed High Security Number Plates? . The only solution for them is to discard those (a well spent amount on fixing them gone waste) and go for new ones.

An interesting news article I found as below:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/36462978.cms

Quote:
While this sudden move is likely to affect all motorists with an 'AP' registration, the most affected would be the 35,000 new vehicle owners who only recently fixed their two/fourwheelers with the foolproof High Security Number Plate (HSNP). This was done in compliance with an order issued to this effect by undivided AP's transport ministry, about seven months ago. For owners with vehicles registered before December 2013, the HSNP deadline is December 2015.

Records available with the transport department suggest that there 73 lakh registered vehicles in Telangana of which 35,000 currently have the HSNP, which they bought, post the government directive. While the price of a HSNP for a car cost Rs 625, two-wheeler owners had to cough up Rs 250 per person.

Now, with the minister adding a 'rider' to the earlier order with a new directive on 'TS' number plates, these motorists have no choice but to abandon their expensive HSNPs and spend more money on fixing a new number plate. This, especially because transport offi cials have given no assurance on offering exemptions or absorbing the additional cost for replacement, for these vehicle owners.

Apart from owners, Reddy's statement shocked RTA officials too, who rued how it took them anywhere between 7 and 10 days to fi x each vehicle with a HSNP. On Wednesday, they were at a loss of words and didn't know just how the entire process of replacing the number plates of 73 lakh vehicles could be completed within four months. There are 44 lakh vehicles in the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation limits alone.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 06:48   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
Quote:
And the same confusion and discussion among family members and friends started: Why TS and not TG?
TS = 'T'elangana 'S'tate
TG = 'T'elan'g'ana

TG was first proposed initially, so people put 'TG' stickers on 'AP'. Not sure if the source but what I heard was, some superstitious + numerology related problem if the 'G' is present so it was replaced with 'S', hence TS.

I like TS more than TG.

Quote:
My question is, who takes the decision on the allotment of the registration code for the state? Is it the Central Government or the State?
State transport department takes the decision and submits all the documents to the central transport department who takes the decision on what code to be used.

Quote:
How about people who have recently fixed High Security Number Plates?
Throw the older plates and re-fix the newer plates. Thank god I didn't fix them for my Swift.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 14th June 2014 at 06:49.
Old 14th June 2014, 10:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
TS = 'T'elangana 'S'tate
TG = 'T'elan'g'ana
Throw the older plates and re-fix the newer plates. Thank god I didn't fix them for my Swift.
Anurag.
Slightly there is a difference in HSRP (High Security Registration Plate) for cars belonging to northern region vs cars registered in Karnataka (not sure in AP/TG).

In Delhi/NCR and other northern states, one microchip is affixed somewhere on the back side of this plate, plate is fitted with special bolts which can't be taken out. In case someone has fiddled with the original settings, challan will be issued by the police.

Also one hologram sticker is affixed on the top left side of front windshield

'Govt of NCT Delhi / Haryana etc'
'Registration Number'
'Engine number'

as mandatory for all new cars. (I shall post one pic soon)

That's not the case with KA registered HSRP, and even today car dealers charge some 1000-1500 bucks for fancy. There is no microchip or no special bolts etc. So throwing off and getting a new one will not be an issue.

Last edited by OneToughRider : 14th June 2014 at 10:38.
Old 18th June 2014, 15:25   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Feel this may land in the court of law. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
They are expected to announce the RTO district codes n numbering policy by tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
Yes, to be more specific, the new registration number
Quote:
All these days there has been a lot of confusion with regard to the new registration numbers and the news reports say that the Road Transport Authority in Telangana is still working out on the modality of the new registration numbers.
Just sharing the piece of information shared by BHPian Hydtraveller today afternoon on the Telangana State registration codes:

Picture of the news paper giving this news is attached:

Name:  ForumRunner_20140618_152458.png
Views: 23315
Size:  591.7 KB

Thank you sir.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 00:00   #28

Existing car number changes in Hyderabad from AP to TS

Hi BHPians,

I read an article in today's TOI that even existing car owners need to get their numbers changed from AP to TS series.

Multiple people are saying multiple things :
1. Someone says that a Telugu daily says that it can be done without charges & there is no need to change the RC. Just changing the number plate will do (which sounds ridiculous).
2. Someone else says that RC needs to be changed & has to be done in 4 months from today.

Does anyone with some "connections" know what the real story is like.

Personally, I think asking someone to change an existing number is both ridiculous & unjustified.
What happens tomorrow if my insurance claim gets rejected, because my number in their database is AP & the changed number is TS.
Old 19th June 2014, 14:01   #29
BHPian

Changing RC should be a foregone conclusion, given that it is the primary ownership record. Having said that the time frame for doing so is still under deliberation. The RTA officers are also not fully aware of the time lines. Anyway in the interim there is bad news for other state registered vehicles as I saw the RTO guys have resumed checking outside Kondapur RTA track...they did flag me to stop, but I managed not to given the traffic congestion
Old 19th June 2014, 14:17   #30
BHPian

Re: AP to TS: Transfer of car registration from Andhra Pradesh to Telangana

Are the vehicles registered outside the new TS state previously allowed to run freely in Telangana? I heard that there is a treaty sort between the two states to respect this and this is not just with vehicles, but extended to certain daily commodities too?

Most Viewed