Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2006, 11:48   #1
BHPian

My dream car...

Though TATA is aiming at producing a Rs.1 Lakh car which will carry 5 people I wish to have a totally different sort of car.

A 2 seater like the smart or the mini (probably squeeze in 2 more in the back) with a peppy (!) diesel engine (if possible for such a small car) and with automatic gear shift (probably paddles) of lesser dimensions and a good ride with a mileage above 20kmpl in city with AC, with intergrated music player mp3 compatible, ipod connectivity in a price range just around 2 lakhs.

It will be a breeze to use this car in the city to commute to office and go for shopping and to visit a friend or to the gym.

We will have lot of big cars in different forms and different capacities. But this one is what I long for living in a city.
Old 19th July 2006, 16:56   #2
rks
BANNED

For such a small car I would prefer battery powered rather than the polluting diesel. There is the Reva for starters -- but one should be able to do much better. Such a car would be OK if you don't need to carry people or luggage. But safety is seriously compromised.
Old 19th July 2006, 18:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser
We will have lot of big cars in different forms and different capacities. But this one is what I long for living in a city.
Landcruiser, you echoed the characteristics of my dream car. With just a few changes, though.
1. ONLY 2 seats. Plus little space at the back to keep some stuff.
2. Petrol (with option for CNG/LPG), less than 400cc, mileage atleast 25 in city (more the merrier).
3. Priced < 1.5L.
3. Would not prefer a Tata (for obvious reasons).
4. All in all a cheaper version of the MB Smart (of all the cars in the world, that's the one I admire - but want it at Indian prices).
Nice car you have got there, Steeroid.

Suzuki seems to have a similar option - the Twin. That should be cool for India. Don't know why they have no plans of bringing it here.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 19th July 2006 at 18:32.
Old 19th July 2006, 18:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Suzuki seems to have a similar option - the Twin. That should be cool for India. Don't know why they have no plans of bringing it here.

No matter what i dont think they can price it lower than an 800 !!
Old 19th July 2006, 19:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey landcruiser and supreme,

Your ideas are awesome guys, I just wish someone would implement them, there is a good chance these cars would sell well in metros.
Old 19th July 2006, 20:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765
No matter what i dont think they can price it lower than an 800 !!
It should be possible to price it lower than a M800, considering the economy of scale. If the Tatas are planning a 1L car, do you think it is without due diligence ? Even if it is finally priced at a little more than 1L (as Tatas indicated), I can bet that it would be a huge success in India. If so, I (and lot more like me) would be more than willing to pay a premium for a better quality Jap car on the same lines. A ex-showroom price of less than 1.5L should be pretty much feasible. Due to the high volumes, even a small margin could seriously improve the company's bottomline and make it viable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
Hey landcruiser and supreme, Your ideas are awesome guys, I just wish someone would implement them, there is a good chance these cars would sell well in metros.
You are right, islero. But then our wishlist is not usually hi-priority for the manufacturers. Eg. if Honda were to introduce a hatch in the sub-5L category, you could see all the others running for cover. But then they are busy targetting the hi-end segments where the margins are higher though volumes are low.

Think of the advantages if Suzuki (or anyone else) were to come with a viable 2-seater.

For the buyer :
Small and fuel efficient vehicle for the city rides. Easy to park and takes less space. Quite some savings in upfront payment and recurring savings on fuel, maintenance etc. Also, the Suzuki Twin is dual powered, with a electric motor that chips in to save petrol in certain driving conditions.

For the seller : High volumes as quite some bike buyers will move to cars.

For the environment : Less pollution due to people shunning diesel hatches in favour of these cars. More space on the roads due to people not using their bigger cars for city rides.

For the country : A better Balance of Payments position due to the decrease in petroleum import quantum.

For the govt : More tax due to more cars sold. The tax component will also be higher than that in bikes.
Old 19th July 2006, 21:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
For such a small car I would prefer battery powered rather than the polluting diesel. There is the Reva for starters -- but one should be able to do much better. Such a car would be OK if you don't need to carry people or luggage. But safety is seriously compromised.
Reva could do much better if they would have priced it reasonably. Rs.3+ lakh for a mini-electric car doesn't sound good. Apart from price, Reva is a bit close to you guys' dream car, isn't it?
Old 20th July 2006, 09:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
Reva could do much better if they would have priced it reasonably. Rs.3+ lakh for a mini-electric car doesn't sound good. Apart from price, Reva is a bit close to you guys' dream car, isn't it?
@yeis, in concept, yes. Except for looks and power source. Reva, in my opinion sucks in looks - looks like it has been banged somewhere. Don't know how they came up with such a design - the school kids that participate in Toyota's annual car design contest, do much better. Apart from the looks, what puts me off in the Reva is the battery powered model - I would prefer a petrol powered car, which is economical and eco-friendly. And last I heard, the Reva has issues (catching fire) as experienced by a Tamil actor with his car.

P.S.: Reva, I think , is more for the export market eg. UK where they get subsidies on such cars.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 20th July 2006 at 09:21.
Old 20th July 2006, 14:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
I If the Tatas are planning a 1L car, do you think it is without due diligence ? Even if it is finally priced at a little more than 1L (as Tatas indicated),

As the tatas indicated , they have stated that they would like the customer to co-operate with them as the cost may go up due to incidental price hikes in the commodity market.

I think it relates to say about a 30-35% hike in steel prices looking at the prevailing market scenario. So if you take into consideration that there may be a 30 % price escalation then at 1,30,000 +excise(10.5K) +vat (12.5K) + road tax , octroi,insurance (10K) plus dealer margins etc the customer wud end up paying around 1,70,000 .What is the value for money for a 2 seater at this price??
Old 20th July 2006, 18:13   #10
BHPian

Disagree

I'm completely against this concept. I'd love to have a clean,affordable, spacious air-conditioned public transport for commuting - bus/train/monorail/metro/mrts/whatever. Running about in a cramped, under-powered two-seater is not my idea of fun.

We already have the kind of cars you'd like to have - the M800 pretty much fits the bill. Just fit a after-market CNG/LPG kit.
Old 20th July 2006, 18:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey
I'd love to have a clean,affordable, spacious air-conditioned public transport for commuting - bus/train/monorail/metro/mrts/whatever.
All I can say is dream on, buddy. If we had a proper PTS, our cities would have been much better places. But then, given the kind of politicians and administrators we are blessed with, I do not see this happening anytime soon.

Quote:
Running about in a cramped, under-powered two-seater is not my idea of fun.
In a city with BTB traffic, what use is power of ? And regarding cramped, it varies from person to person. Also small need not necessarily be cramped, if the designer is good.

Quote:
We already have the kind of cars you'd like to have - the M800 pretty much fits the bill. Just fit a after-market CNG/LPG kit.
The M800 is too big and not enough FE. CNG/LPG is not a good driving experience (from my personal experience).
Old 27th July 2006, 21:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I'm completely against this concept. I'd love to have a clean,affordable, spacious air-conditioned public transport for commuting - bus/train/monorail/metro/mrts/whatever. Running about in a cramped, under-powered two-seater is not my idea of fun.

Agree on your point regarding public transport, but we are not talking about public transport here. It is just a wish to have such a car which will be really helpful to commute to office and back. In my case I am traveling 100 kms everyday to work. I have tried office bus, train, car everything. In one way or the other they suck. Train and bus are cheap but tiring and when it happens that there is too much work at odd times it becomes a pain and have to rely on the office cabs that operate at fixed times.

A car that is small, less expensive (not as affordable as the tata car for certain reasons) and more efficient and little fun is what i thought of when i posted this message.
Old 28th July 2006, 17:11   #13
BHPian

LC, your idea is very much possible, but when people buy cheap cars, they dont care about music or paddles, its only average and maintenance, so i dont think your dream car will ever be produced and if it is then i am putting my name first to buy it.
Old 28th February 2008, 19:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Dream Cars

A Smart ForTwo to commute daily

A BMW X5 or the Range Rover for those long drives out of town.

A MiniCooper / VW Beetle for the wife

An Aston Martin DB7 for those days when you just want to rip on the highways...

A Willys 1952 LowBonnet Jeep for outings with the T-BHP guys.
Old 28th February 2008, 19:15   #15
BHPian

currently...

the new Nissan GTR.. absolutely gorgeous!!! ill leave my girl if i get that car, coz she would leave me anywaz coz of the attention i would give that car!

other than that,

exotic - Pagani Zonda
off roader - Defender 90, Hummer (h1)
commuting - ... ah hell ill take the nissan gtr

Most Viewed