Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2014, 14:11   #1
BANNED

VW Polo GT TDI & TSI discontinued temporarily, until the facelift arrives

Quote:
Some news for the enthusiast that will really crush the candy. Production has stopped for the Volkswagen Polo GT TDI and TSI versions. Perhaps the only proper hot hatch option available to the Indian enthusiast under the 10-lakh marker is no longer available in showrooms.

Local dealers in Mumbai stated they do not have any stock left of the GT twins as Volkswagen has recently seized production. The upgraded Polo is just around the corner and the manufacturer’s decision to stop production is understood. However, it will be a prediction akin to our country’s Met Department to expect return of the GT badge in the new models. Hopefully, Volkswagen will give a thought for the enthusiast, who is ready to skip a meal, but wants to drive a car back home, taking the longer route.

Source: http://www.motoroids.com/news/volksw...-discontinued/

HyperRetard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 14:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI & TSI discontinued temporarily, until the facelift arrives

I'm pretty sure they GT versions will be re-launched with the facelifts. Please take whatever info posted by these sites with huge barrels of salt. They were sure the GT TDI will be launched with DSG option ONLY at the time of original launch. We all know what happened later.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 25th June 2014 at 14:26.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 14:26   #3
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI & TSI discontinued temporarily, until the facelift arrives

If this is true, what might eventually be more painful is the fact that these two will now be cited as a test case whenever anyone tries to introduce an enthusiast friendly hatch.

Can't help saying but this could push the concept of enthusiast hatch back by a couple of years at least. Unless someone like Maruti can spring a surprise, the way they did with the Swift a decade back.

Last edited by avisidhu : 25th June 2014 at 14:30.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 15:42   #4
BANNED

Re: VW Polo GT TDI & TSI discontinued temporarily, until the facelift arrives

To the gentleman who edited the thread title, I am not sure if that is what the article meant.

I however, do think that this would mean the demise of the Polo TSi, because its too expensive, and not enough sales. the GT TDi my survive, though.
HyperRetard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 16:11   #5
BHPian

I really hope this is meant for a facelift and does not lead discontinuation due to lower volumes, i for one will certainly hope for manual versions of both the avatars.

VW please do not disappoint, I still do not have a whole lot of faith in your DSG tech. Given the news on global recalls and failure’s, I will admit I am hearing the news of the gearbox failing a lot less now.

But please don’t rob the pleasure of a high revving engine and a manual gearbox.

ML

Last edited by Motoringlover : 25th June 2014 at 16:12. Reason: Formatting issues due to using Ms-Word.
Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 16:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

GT TSI did have demand. In fact, ever since the launch most showrooms were so overwhelmed by the demand that this variant saw extra long waiting periods. Some showrooms recently even stopped taking bookings or offering test drives for the GT TSI, perhaps because they weren't sure they could fulfill the customers' bookings. From what I know, it was always a case of VW failing to meet demand due to low production rate of this variant, NOT a case of them turning down production because there was lack of demand. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It was by far the best available petrol hatchback in the country today (although automatic), so I doubt VW might permanently pull the plug on it and lose that crown. It will mostly return in the facelifted avatar, me thinks.

Last edited by KarthikK : 25th June 2014 at 16:20.
KarthikK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 19:59   #7
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

I have a feeling that GT series may not return. Definitely not with the 1.6L engine.

They will probably just get the new 1.5L TDI engine and not call it the GT. There were talks of the 1.5L TDI being available in 2 states of tune. That doesn't look likely to me with VW on a restructuring plan and consolidating their plans for India. They will play conservative.

I also think that this maybe the end of the GT TSI. Even though on the forum it became popular, they were very rare on the roads.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 21:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
GT TSI did have demand. In fact, ever since the launch most showrooms were so overwhelmed by the demand that this variant saw extra long waiting periods. Some showrooms recently even stopped taking bookings or offering test drives for the GT TSI, perhaps because they weren't sure they could fulfill the customers' bookings. From what I know, it was always a case of VW failing to meet demand due to low production rate of this variant, NOT a case of them turning down production because there was lack of demand. Correct me if I'm wrong.
My experience was that VW sales actively discouraged my parents from thinking about the TSI. The sales person said that there is a 6 month waiting period on this car because the mechanicals are completely imported on demand.

When we asked for a test drive, he said he can arrange for a TD, but it is "of no use". I assume he meant that one would never buy it because the waiting period is so long.

The TSI was standing there in the TD bay, so it wasn't a case of the car not being available. Someone was parking it when we arrived at the showroom.

That said, the engine is superb, and if it did return in manual form, would be a well-priced hot-hatch that would definitely sell a Lot.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 21:35   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I also think that this maybe the end of the GT TSI. Even though on the forum it became popular, they were very rare on the roads.
I have always felt that, the car as such was popular. But VW manage to turn away customers by not making efforts to deliver in a reasonable time. Waiting periods were always 3-6 months (at least in Bangalore). So even customers who overcame the DSG worries and Negative VW Service feedback were still turned away by the long waiting periods.

For the Vento TSI, they had a clear period from October 2013 to Feb-March 2014 when 2 of the biggest competitors in the AT segment City and Fiesta were not available. Instead of taking advantage they stopped production from December to Jan end.

VW attempted to make it as difficult as possible for one to buy a TSI

On a side note, if they stop the TSI's now, maybe my Vento TSI will have a good resale value in the enthusiast market
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 21:36   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
The TSI was standing there in the TD bay, so it wasn't a case of the car not being available. Someone was parking it when we arrived at the showroom.

Are you saying that you should be given a TD from the car of some future owner?
HyperRetard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 23:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

GT TSI will surely be there even after the face lift. Take a look at this face lifted TSI spotted by IndianAutosBlog.

VW Polo GT TDI & TSI discontinued temporarily, until the facelift arrives-2014vwpolofaceliftspiedindiarear.jpg

2014 VW Polo (facelift) launching in mid-July

I have no idea on the GT TDI. The new 1.5 TDI with rumored DSG will be lovely.
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 23:25   #12
BHPian

I was discouraged till backed out by the VW showroom when I went to them hearing that Polo GT TSI bookings were open. They said VW stopped production as soon as they launched the car and wont resume production until further notice and that it was due to some DSG issues. But it was not very convincing anyways. However they did manage to avoid me booking a Polo GT TSI. Strange!
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 08:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I doubt it though. There is no marginal investment for putting it on road since the customer is dutifully entrusted with all the incremental variable costs. It establishes the "German engineering" image for VW with rub off on other brands. It is kept scarce enough to not interfere with mainline production which is underutilised anyway.

The only issue could be worry on DSG break downs but then since when did VW show a bleeding heart for the customer.

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 09:01   #14
BHPian

My Vento Tsi is due to be delivered next week. I am getting a bit apprehensive after reading about it being discontinued and also another thread bashing VW. Hope I am doing the right thing, purchasing the car. Would like to hear your valuable inputs. Thanks
Rameshdude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 12:50   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
My Vento Tsi is due to be delivered next week. I am getting a bit apprehensive after reading about it being discontinued and also another thread bashing VW. Hope I am doing the right thing, purchasing the car. Would like to hear your valuable inputs. Thanks
Now that you're so close to getting the car, stop worrying about it. The concerns with A.S.S. are genuine, but I'm sure you figured that aspect into the buying decision.

As for the car itself, it's a gem and all manufacturers are bound to support discontinued models for a set time period (10 years?), so get your car, take good care and enjoy the heck out of it.

Stop worrying
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks