Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2014, 12:06   #31
BHPian

Re: Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo

The brochure says "new fog lamp design with static cornerng lights". What could this mean ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
In the brochure, There are two variants 1.) GT TSI 2.) TSI (105 PS). Second one looks like TSI with manual transmission.
The brochure leaked here shows Polo 1.2 TSI and says 7 speed DSG with tiptronic, but does not say 'manual'

Cheers,
Old 11th July 2014, 12:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Spare key has been a FOB for sometime. We have a spare FOB with our Comfortline purchased in 2013.
My Jan 2014 Comfortline 1.2P came with a regular spare key.
@diffsoft;it seems they have integrated cornering lights in the fog lamps instead of headlights.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 11th July 2014 at 12:09.
Old 11th July 2014, 12:08   #33
BHPian

The braking can improve if the rear also comes with discs rather than the drums.

Can the front discs be fitted on to the rear? How does this affect the ABS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Trust me JishD, I have driven GT TSI and it is quick. But having owned the GT TDI for a while now, I can tell you that one must drive this beauty to believe it.

Everytime I depress the throttle on empty roads, I can see the vehicles in the RVM dissappear so quickly.

However, if there is one big glitch in GT TDI, its the stopping power !!

More than anything, I Hope VW have reworked on the Breaking power of the Polo.

With 1.5 TDI, 90 PS & 230 NM Torque on the F/L Polo, it really needs a good set of breaks more than anything else.
Old 11th July 2014, 12:31   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
In the brochure, There are two variants 1.) GT TSI 2.) TSI (105 PS). Second one looks like TSI with manual transmission.
What is mentioned in the lower part of the brochure looks to me to be just the details of the 3 engines i.e TDI (90PS), TSI(105 PS) and MPI (75PS) and these are not any specific models. If you read the description below each, the bullet points talk only about the engine features/characteristics and nothing else. If it were some variant of the car there would have been some mention of the other features of the car.

For all i know they might launch a 1.2 TSI (i hope they do) but my limited point is that from this brochure there is nothing (at least to me) to suggest that there will be a 1.2 TSI manual.
Mohan Mathew A is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 12:49   #35
BHPian

Suddenly buying a normal TDi seems much better option than a GT TDi. The difference in power and torque is not that much compared to the previous 1.2 L mill.
Now if VW need to put that GT tag on the 105 PS 1.5 L Diesel engine they would need to give better exteriors and interiors to differentiate from the normal highline.

I did hear talks mentioning that there would be a highline+ as well.
Old 11th July 2014, 12:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post

The brochure says "new fog lamp design with static cornerng lights". What could this mean ?
Cornering lights usually house extra pair of bulbs apart from the Headlights or Fog Lamps (Depending on where they are placed).

These are activated during cornering or turnings (as the name suggests) to help the driver get better road illumination, especially if the corners (road/path) are dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post

My Jan 2014 Comfortline 1.2P came with a regular spare key.
As Gannu mentioned earlier, I received a regular key without any fob for the spare even on a GT TDI.

Wonder how much loss would VW have made if they had provided one atleast for GTs & Highlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post

Can the front discs be fitted on to the rear? How does this affect the ABS?
And fit the rear drums in the front AirWind ??

Honestly bro, All round disc breaks are defenitely a lot better, but having drums at the rear does not always mean they are useless.

Punto breaks feel and are damn good for example, which use a front disc/rear drum combo. Heck, my Getz without any ABS felt better at breaking.
Polo breaks are not bad, but atleast the GT twins with their raw power should have had better stopping power.

OT - Rear Disc breaks can be fitted on Polo. It is apparently a Plug & Play. Will cost a lot of $$ but more importantly, one will have to take chances fiddeling with German engineering.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 11th July 2014 at 13:01.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 13:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

I would like to add even the regular Tdi demands better brakes. The brakes are bad period. In GT twins you reach speeds quickly as opposed to the regular models, however with both cars doing 100 kmph the braking power is the same. So they are both equally bad.

Many times while braking my wife regular TDi I had my heart in my mouth, it felt car was carrying to much speed, and the weight comes to the front while braking as if rear is faster then the front, and the car tends to dip at the front when you brake.

So I am *hoping* that with new engines they fix the brakes irrespective of the model. Period!
aseem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 14:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

It will be interesting to see how VW prices the GT TDI considering the regular Tdi is only 15ps and 20nm less powerful.I'm expecting changes to exterior and interior as the GT TDI will now be eligible for excise benefits.

The old Polo D achilles heel was its engine,with the new 1.5tdi and same gearbox,I won't be surprised if the regular tdi is one of the most FTD hatchbacks in the segment since it has 230nm of torque (highest in segment ?). What a turnaround that would be!

Last edited by shashank.nk : 11th July 2014 at 14:25.
Old 11th July 2014, 17:01   #39
BHPian

Visited VW Delhi West to 'see' the new Polo -

Apart from the pictures and points discussed here, I couldn't find much difference in the sound of the engine, perhaps it was less while idle than the previous engine, didn't revv the engine so can't comment on that.

The new body colours - copper orange and steel grey are good and am considering one of the two.

Cornering foglamps are confirmed but only on Highline.
Old 11th July 2014, 19:25   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
What is mentioned in the lower part of the brochure looks to me to be just the details of the 3 engines i.e TDI (90PS), TSI(105 PS) and MPI (75PS) and these are not any specific models. If you read the description below each, the bullet points talk only about the engine features/characteristics and nothing else. If it were some variant of the car there would have been some mention of the other features of the car.

For all i know they might launch a 1.2 TSI (i hope they do) but my limited point is that from this brochure there is nothing (at least to me) to suggest that there will be a 1.2 TSI manual.
The brochure is downright confusing. If indeed the bottom row is to list only the engine options, then it is clearly missing TDI (105 PS). If the top row is to be interpreted as listing variants, again it is incomplete, since it does not include the regular Polo MPI and Polo TDI. I do not think we can confirm or rule out any variants based on this unstructured brochure. I do not expect VW to produce something like this and I actually suspect this may be some clever auto portal site that has come up with this to attract traffic.
Old 11th July 2014, 23:32   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The brochure is downright confusing. If indeed the bottom row is to list only the engine options, then it is clearly missing TDI (105 PS). If the top row is to be interpreted as listing variants, again it is incomplete, since it does not include the regular Polo MPI and Polo TDI. I do not think we can confirm or rule out any variants based on this unstructured brochure. I do not expect VW to produce something like this and I actually suspect this may be some clever auto portal site that has come up with this to attract traffic.
Its a few days more. However, I have spoken to a number of VW dealers around Tamilnadu and all of them have pointed to the same opinion but with confirming that GTI will not come out any sooner and for now DSG is not planned.

However, the truth will be out in a couple of days' time. I do understand for some interested in the polo the wait might be killing.
Old 12th July 2014, 00:57   #42
BHPian

I think one of the important things that we ought to note is that VW is finally getting their product right for our market, even if their service setup is lagging behind.

When I bought my Swift Zdi in April 2012, I had the option of a Polo TDI Highline which cost more money with an inferior engine, inferior interiors, no climate control, no usb, no steering controls and no power mirrors. VW India have finally realised that if you charge a premium, you have to at least match the feature list of your market leader which I am glad to see they have done. Along with this + upgraded engines, I think the Polo is a natural choice for premium hatchback buyers. It's certainly one of the most stable and well built cars, now with engine options that demand attention.
Old 12th July 2014, 02:58   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Trust me JishD, I have driven GT TSI and it is quick. But having owned the GT TDI for a while now, I can tell you that one must drive this beauty to believe it.

Everytime I depress the throttle on empty roads, I can see the vehicles in the RVM dissappear so quickly.

However, if there is one big glitch in GT TDI, its the stopping power !!

More than anything, I Hope VW have reworked on the Breaking power of the Polo.

With 1.5 TDI, 90 PS & 230 NM Torque on the F/L Polo, it really needs a good set of breaks more than anything else.

I have a polo Tsi and the brakes are feel lessly good- basically meaning that you will come to a stop. But not without a heart in mouth experience. The Tdi is incredibly noisy at revs. If that's ok, it's faster ! But I prefer a silent car. Hence my choice

Mod Note: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th July 2014 at 08:53.
Old 12th July 2014, 08:30   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Suddenly buying a normal TDi seems much better option than a GT TDi.
The price difference won't be as high in the new version considering the excise benefits the new 1.5L TDi will bring.

I am hoping VW will stick with the excellent interior trim and upholstery of the GT. All black will be amazing! Can't wait to drive the new 1.5L.
Old 12th July 2014, 10:29   #45
BHPian

If they bring the 1.2 TSi with Manual, irrespective of their poor A.S.S. i will write a check and bring home one.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks