Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 11:15   #121
BHPian

Re: Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Page 18 of the brochure lists, under Exterior features, "Grey wedge at top section of windscreen". This is available only in Highline.

Can some one please explain this feature?

Cheers,
This is a grey tint - Darker than regular glass. You can see it on current Ventos/polo, i am not sure if its only on highlines or not, i have it on my Vento Highline.

Another point in the brochure said - Heat insulation glass for rear and side glasses, does it mean Windshield is not heat insulated?

And lastly, though we have to still wait for GT TDI specs (Mileage and Torque/BHP figures and power band), the 1.5 VGT in std diesel churns out slightly less torque (230 nm) vs the GTs expected 250nm, can this be a case that GT runs on a different MAP? because mechanically they will not put a different VGT (or maybe they can reuse the 1.6 tdi turbo)

I was also surprised - the 1.5tdi with 230 NM was less frugal than outgoing 1.6 TDI (250Nm) 1.5 - 20.16 vs 1.6 20.54 kmpl.

It may be the case that ARAI has revised 115 rule for 2014 hence pushing down the mileage - but just a speculation from my side.

with a detuned 1.5 giving these figures, is it possible that the GT TDI has lower mileage with extra 20 NM of torque?

Top misses for me

1.GT TDI without DSG :(
2. Auto folding OVRMs atleast they could have given LED blinkers on OVRMs with manual folding
3. Projectors atleast as an option in GT
4. 60:40 Split rear seat - is this true?
5. Higline instrument cluster atleast for GT trims (one with temp/fuel dials) and better monochrome displays (found in trendline Passat)
6. Paddle shifters for GT TSI - Please God, make this statement untrue.

top Hits
1. Awesome alloy
2. Cornering lamps
3. Superb Steering with flatbottom, hope they give red stitching for GTs - DROOLWORTHY
4. Dual barrel - still a good upgrade from single beam. (Hopefully this is locally/MY/Taiwan/china sourced) - will make good sense for existing Vento/Polo owners to retrofit
newtonMeter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 12:03   #122
BHPian

@newtonMeter: The brochure states: "Windscreen in heat insulating glass" for all variants. Also dual-beam headlamps is NOT available in the Trendline variant.

Overdrive has a nice review that may be seen here - http://overdrive.in/reviews/2014-vol...dia-road-test/.

The one point they covered that is missed by others is the change in tyres from Apollo Aceleres to Apollo Alnac. Ovedrive says this is superior to the older, and as reported by many, noisy.

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 16th July 2014 at 12:21.
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 13:10   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
@newtonMeter: The brochure states: "Windscreen in heat insulating glass" for all variants.

Cheers,

Yes just noted they mention it in 2 different lines

Windscreen in heat-insulating glass
Heat-insulating glass for side and rear window
Dont know why they mention in 2 separate lines

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 9600
Size:  12.7 KB
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 22:44   #124
Senior - BHPian

A colleague of mine told me the corner lights function only if the blinkers and the headlight is switched on. Is that the case?

Apparently, the VW sales staff told him this. He is getting the updated Highline TDi.
Old 17th July 2014, 11:18   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Yes just noted they mention it in 2 different lines

Dont know why they mention in 2 separate lines

Attachment 1262281
Also, they mention the headlamp features in three lines. Probably to increase the perceived feature list.
Old 17th July 2014, 11:44   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
A colleague of mine told me the corner lights function only if the blinkers and the headlight is switched on. Is that the case?

Apparently, the VW sales staff told him this. He is getting the updated Highline TDi.
Yes the corner lamp logic has the following checkpoints

1. Headlights are on
2. Turn signal is on (not comfort lane change function)
3. Steering is turned more than 135 degrees

Cornering lights are to assist you while driving in dark.

The headlight dependency is removed if we had Light sensor module, which controls headlights/corner lamps depending on the ambient light condition.
newtonMeter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 12:44   #127
Senior - BHPian

So what are we missing on the indian specific Polo facelift.

1) We are getting previous generation International version polo headlights instead of all new headlights of the 2014 International Polo.

2) we are getting same current generation AC controls and Music System

3)Taillights are little different on Indian version.
Attached Thumbnails
Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo-headlight.jpg  

Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo-headlights-india.jpg  

Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo-interior.jpg  

Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo-vwpolofaceliftspieddashboard.jpg  

tushky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 14:09   #128
BHPian

If you look carefully the European version has:-

1. the temperature gauge & fuel gauge incorporated in the tacho & speedo respectively (as in the Jetta/Passat)
2. there is a tweeter mounted in the A pillar
3. the car has side airbags
4. orientation of the headlamps switch is horizontal as compared to vertical in the Indian version.
Old 17th July 2014, 15:25   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
2. there is a tweeter mounted in the A pillar
3. the car has side airbags
These were present on the previous versions as well and not just the facelift. But yes, the Indian variant does not get any of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
4. orientation of the headlamps switch is horizontal as compared to vertical in the Indian version.
The knob has been turned 90° towards right. The switch is for the auto-headlamp variant though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
So what are we missing on the indian specific Polo facelift.
There are a LOT of subtle changes for the European variant compared to the Indian one. The only thing that has been directly lifted from the European variant is the new steering wheel and the front bumper. For the European Polo:

1. The headlamp designs have changed entirely:

Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo-volkswagenpolofaceliftreview2014_20.jpg

2. The auto-dimming interior rear view mirror design has changed:

Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo-6l3fbow.jpg

3. The ORVM switch and the door locks’ designs have changed:

Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo-iny1hkr.jpg

4. The keyfob design has changed (similar to the new Octavia):

Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo-img10714.jpg

5. The climatronic control panel has changed including the display.

6. The cluster has changed entirely including the MFD (taller and wider) which now displays compass among other things:

Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo-2014volkswagenpolo14.jpg

7. The stalks have changed (similar to the new Octavia):

Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo-u8t1iyq.jpg

8. The window controls' design has changed:

Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo-9qheoot.jpg

Ok that’s enough. We aren’t getting any of those anyway.

PS: Source - Google Images, Autoevolution review, UK Polos forum.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th July 2014 at 15:41.
Gannu_1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 15:28   #130
BHPian

My biggest gripe is the headlights. I swear that there are times when I can't tell if they are on or off. I am going to upgrade to the new double barrelled headlamps as soon as they become available. Any idea how long I will have to wait? I do hope the new headlamps are compatible with the older generation Polo... I would also like to get the dead pedal and footwell lights.

My annual service is coming up on Saturday and I will discuss my upgrade plans with the SA...
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 18:15   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
My biggest gripe is the headlights. I swear that there are times when I can't tell if they are on or off. I am going to upgrade to the new double barrelled headlamps as soon as they become available.

Just a dumb question: In what way are the double barrel headlamps with separate bulb for high beam and low beam better than the single bulb dual-filament H4 setup?

Is it simply that they are focused better, or are both lights on when on high-beam mode (thereby ensuring a better spread of light)?
Old 17th July 2014, 18:21   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
My biggest gripe is the headlights. I swear that there are times when I can't tell if they are on or off. I am going to upgrade to the new double barrelled headlamps as soon as they become available. Any idea how long I will have to wait? I do hope the new headlamps are compatible with the older generation Polo... I would also like to get the dead pedal and footwell lights.

My annual service is coming up on Saturday and I will discuss my upgrade plans with the SA...
You may not be able to fit the double barrel lights. It depends on how the wiring has been done. If the connector between the 2 is the same then it will work but if there are now 2 connectors one for high and other for the low, parking and indicators then it may not work and some wire cutting may be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Just a dumb question: In what way are the double barrel headlamps with separate bulb for high beam and low beam better than the single bulb dual-filament H4 setup?

Is it simply that they are focused better, or are both lights on when on high-beam mode (thereby ensuring a better spread of light)?
Yup thats right. Easier to design the reflectors as one is for low and other for high instead of one large reflector with top half for low and bottom half for high.

And mainly cause when you turn on high beam, low beam remains on. In H4 it is either one.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 18:25   #133
BANNED

I hope atleast the dead pedal and new back head rests can be retrofitted. how about the new mid ? Can that be retrofitted to our existing polos ?
Old 17th July 2014, 19:45   #134
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
how about the new mid ? Can that be retrofitted to our existing polos ?
Change the instrumentation console to the newer one, hopefully the wiring and sensors are in place. That should solve your issue.

PM Gannu_1, he is the best person to answer your question.

Anurag.
Old 17th July 2014, 21:44   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If the connector between the 2 is the same then it will work but if there are now 2 connectors one for high and other for the low, parking and indicators then it may not work and some wire cutting may be needed.
FWIK, the connectors are exactly the same. But I am not sure how the internal wiring from the connectors go. I have to open up the headlamps sometime and see for myself. I'll do that one day and post the findings here.

If the internal wiring turns out to be different, the market would be flooded with adapters to avoid cutting the cables. The operating voltages are exactly the same for H4 and H1, H7 bulbs but the power draw is almost doubled when both the bulbs are used. I suppose there are additional fuses used which would have been left blank right now. Will also get back on this. I have the Polo's fuse layout diagram and the snap of the fuse box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
I hope atleast the dead pedal and new back head rests can be retrofitted. how about the new mid ? Can that be retrofitted to our existing polos ?
You can install the dead pedal. The same dead pedal is used on the current gen. Fabia but Skoda wouldn't sell you one. Get a used one (it's just a foot rest; clean it and it will look as good as new) from eBay UK (10 pounds) and a plastic fastener (part number - N90482701). You need to cut a block of styrofoam into the shape of the dead pedal's innards (so that it doesn't flap/move around in the footwell) and fix it to the transmission tunnel by means of a tape. Secure the dead pedal with the fastener.

The MFD is soldered into the cluster's motherboard. It cannot be simply replaced with a midline/highline MFD without involving a whole lot of other changes. You're better off replacing the entire cluster.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks